refused renewal on non immO marriage visa ,,,in UK

I too am 28/28 with an account in BKK and about to set up another in HK, where my salary in USD will be transferred. I was thinking of doing the whole Non-O marriage visa in HK and so far, communications with the Embassy in HK have made it sound fairly easy. The issue is that due to my rotation, I will only be in BKK for 28 days then off to work again for another 28 days and wonder how that affects the whole procedure. I understand that I must come back from HK with a 30 day Non-O then apply for the one year multi entry but another person mentioned that this could take some time and I will be overseas again. Or am I completely confused.

The consulate in HK will only issue you a single entry non-o visa and then you would need to apply for an extension of stay immigration.

It will be very difficult if not impossible to get the extension with a 28/28 rotation.

I suggest you make a trip to the consulate Savannakhet Laos and get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. They ask for no financial proof.

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought, is it possible for the OP to transfer a regular sum as salary from a savings account to a current account?

Would this be an idea to solve the monthly income problem?

The problem with an ext based on marriage is the one month provisional, followed by the balance, meaning the OP needs to be in Thailand for two or three months, maybe more depending on the timing of the expiry of a non O as you can only extend from 30 days before expiry, 45 at some Imm offices.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Requirements for a non immigrant multiple o based on marriage, seems to be confusing, I am about to apply for one for the fifth year running and llike others only work 6 months of the year, spending six months in Thailand with my wife and family. I have done some ringing around in recent days and seemed to get the same general reply. Hull require proof of income which they must check with London, but if visiting in person, Cardiff, Liverpool and Birmingham say they do not, just marrage certifcate (translated) and a copy of wifes ID Card/passport . Phoned the embassy in London and they said the same, when applying by post all i would need to include with the application would be the wedding certifcate and copy of wifes ID card/Passport, i asked if they were sure and they said yesr , i would not need to show proof of income.

I am about to apply through the post via the Embassy and will keep you posted on the outcome.

I am spend around 6-7 months each year in Thailand in one block, is there a better option than a multiple o visa to do this?

You could apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration if you are spending 6 continuous months here. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 40k baht income by way of income letter from the embassy.

After getting the extension you would need a re-entry permit for your trips out. A single re-entry permit costs 1000 baht or a multiple 3800 baht.

Just a thought, is it possible for the OP to transfer a regular sum as salary from a savings account to a current account?

The problem with an ext based on marriage is the one month provisional, followed by the balance, meaning the OP needs to be in Thailand for two or three months, maybe more depending on the timing of the expiry of a non O as you can only extend from 30 days before expiry, 45 at some Imm offices.

To get an extension of stay based upon marriage proof of 40k baht income is done by way of a income letter from the embassy. All that is needed for the letter is a annual income of at least 480K baht that can be calculated to be 40k baht income. The police order even states an average income of 40k baht income..

The problem the OP had with income proof was just the consulate making an excuse for not accepting the application. As can be seen from other posts the embassy does not require income proof to get a multiple entry non-o visa.

Also there is no reason to get the visa in the UK because it can be done at Savannakhet with no financial proof. Or possibly Penang if you have 400k baht in the bank.

• Like 1

To get an extension of stay based upon marriage proof of 40k baht income is done by way of a income letter from the embassy. All that is needed for the letter is a annual income of at least 480K baht that can be calculated to be 40k baht income. The police order even states an average income of 40k baht income..

The problem the OP had with income proof was just the consulate making an excuse for not accepting the application. As can be seen from other posts the embassy does not require income proof to get a multiple entry non-o visa.

Also there is no reason to get the visa in the UK because it can be done at Savannakhet with no financial proof. Or possibly Penang if you have 400k baht in the bank.

my thinking was so that he could carry on with what has worked for him for all the previous years.

I can see the difficulties with a marriage ext. the OP has no prob with funds, only that they are not in regular monthly lumps of sufficient size.

mate I work offshore as well but I am on a ship so we get paid on leave as well. My rotation was 5 on and 5 weeks off. Used to just pay the overstay all the time (costly and with recent events could be troublesome) but recently just went to Savannakhet for the non "o" multiple entry. As Ubon Joe has stated it is really easy no proof of income required but if your on a 4 and 4 why bother anyway. You will always get your visa exempt you will never overstay and you won't have to pay any money to get the non "o" win-win really, but it depends on your swing length I guess

I too get very frustrated with the issues govts have with working vs actually having money. Is it that hard to understand that money is why we go to work, and that if you have a couple of years salary as buffer in cash, that all should be ok. Money should be the litmus test, as it is "worth" much more than a job.... I can lose a job, or I could quit too. We just have such weird premonitions about work, in every country, in my opinion. If you are a working alcoholic cocaine addict, all is fine as far as these immigration officials are concerned. If you have been prudent and saved a ton of money, make money off investments, and take some time off, you are supposedly not worthy of anything.

Many criminals have vast amounts of cash with nowhere to spend it at home...

What you are essentially saying is the people with money should be offered special privileges, without any concern where the money comes from. Bit like the Premier League in the UK, or FIFA...

For Thailand to offer long term visas other than the current ones they would need to close their borders and force people to apply in their own country where proper checks can be made.

So far as the UK refusing Non-o visas - its absurd but nothing surprises me anymore.

Edited by ParadiseLost

I too get very frustrated with the issues govts have with working vs actually having money. Is it that hard to understand that money is why we go to work, and that if you have a couple of years salary as buffer in cash, that all should be ok. Money should be the litmus test, as it is "worth" much more than a job.... I can lose a job, or I could quit too. We just have such weird premonitions about work, in every country, in my opinion. If you are a working alcoholic cocaine addict, all is fine as far as these immigration officials are concerned. If you have been prudent and saved a ton of money, make money off investments, and take some time off, you are supposedly not worthy of anything.

What you are essentially saying is the people with money should be offered special privileges, without any concern where the money comes from. Bit like the Premier League in the UK, or FIFA...

For Thailand to offer long term visas other than the current ones they would need to close their borders and force people to apply in their own country where proper checks can be made.

So far as the UK refusing Non-o visas - its absurd but nothing surprises me anymore.

That is not at all what I am saying. Don't put words into my mouth. What I am "essentially saying" is that if you have worked for years, have tax slips and proof of this etc, and you stop working and have a boatload of money, that it should not matter to much that you are currently not working. Now, every country is different, but if the other countries are like mine they seem to base ~90% of their decision on whether or not you currently have a job. To them, 100k cash is worth less than an 9 dollar an hour job that I could get fired from, or quit. It is stupid for many reasons, but that is what they do, so I will deal.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

That is not at all what I am saying. Don't put words into my mouth. What I am "essentially saying" is that if you have worked for years, have tax slips and proof of this etc, and you stop working and have a boatload of money, that it should not matter to much that you are currently not working. Now, every country is different, but if the other countries are like mine they seem to base ~90% of their decision on whether or not you currently have a job. To them, 100k cash is worth less than an 9 dollar an hour job that I could get fired from, or quit. It is stupid for many reasons, but that is what they do, so I will deal.

Agreed, hence my suggestion to create a regular monthly amount arriving in the bank from savings in an amount that meets the requirements. Being past working age is OK cos my pension is monthly, I would hat to think what to do if payment was made annually.

It does seem that the criteria are wrong and as you say, if you have a tax history, why should they not accept that?

Has this changed recently? Less than 2 months ago I applied for my usual multi entry 'O' visa by post from London and had no problems. Just needed my passport, signed copies of marriage certs and translation, and a signed copy of my wife's ID card. I've only ever had to show money, which I did using my wife's Thai bank book for previous 3 or 4 months (normally showing about 60k or so going through each month), when getting a new visa in Penang, Malaysia. Are they still doing the multi-entry 'O' there does anyone know?

Such are the hassles of traveling back and forth to Thailand...appears to be getting more unpredictable everyday...similar experience with banking...it depends upon the person you are dealing with...one thing you can say...expect the unexpected...don't take no as an answer from the 1st person who turns you down...keep turning over rocks until you find that gem of a person you are looking for...good luck..

• Like 1

Make a trip to Savannakhet Laos and get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. They ask for no financial proof. All you will need is your marriage certificate (plus copy), signed and dated copies of your wife's house book and ID card.

"multiple entry non-o visa"

Possible also, based on, living with Thai child and mother in TH, not married ?

Thank you.

Has this changed recently? Less than 2 months ago I applied for my usual multi entry 'O' visa by post from London and had no problems. Just needed my passport, signed copies of marriage certs and translation, and a signed copy of my wife's ID card. I've only ever had to show money, which I did using my wife's Thai bank book for previous 3 or 4 months (normally showing about 60k or so going through each month), when getting a new visa in Penang, Malaysia. Are they still doing the multi-entry 'O' there does anyone know?

Nothing has changed at the embassy in London or some of the consulates. Only Hull seems to be a problem.

If you have 400k baht in the bank is a possibility in Penang.

Make a trip to Savannakhet Laos and get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. They ask for no financial proof. All you will need is your marriage certificate (plus copy), signed and dated copies of your wife's house book and ID card.

"multiple entry non-o visa"

Possible also, based on, living with Thai child and mother in TH, not married ?

Thank you.

Yes it is possible if you are the legal father of your child by way of legitimization and living with the mother and child.

• Like 1

Regarding the excuse given to the OP about irregular income. This was almost an issue for me on a marriage extension 3 years ago when the girl at the British Embassy in Bangkok raised an eyebrow at a 2-month gap in deposits to the UK account when I was applying for my proof of income letter. This was despite the yearly total and monthly mean being several orders above the minimum stated in the Police Order. She was reluctant and sought advice 'behind the door' before agreeing. Subsequently, I did as some have advised earlier and opened a new account in the same UK bank and have a standing-order for a fixed minimum amount to be transferred each month. I used that account information for the next letter and there was no problem at all. Keep in mind that although the PO states 'average', there may be some pedantic sorts in Consulates, Embasies and Immigration offices that want to see a 'regular' monthly stipend similar to what a state or private pension would pay, ie. fixed sums on fixed dates.

Regarding the visa solution, if the OP is in Pattaya, he should inquire at Jomtien,

i) If they will issue a re-entry permit while a marriage extension is in the Bangkok 'pending approval' period,

ii) How do they notify applicants (if at all) of the approval being received and most importantly,

iii) Will they cancel the extension if the applicant does not personally respond when notified and/or doesn't come by quickly.

I am oilfield and I managed it with Udon Immigration twice although once again, the initial reaction was 'cannot' until a superior officer advised it was doable. The first time I was out and back within the '30-days or so' approval period but the second time, the approval was waiting for me when I came back 6-7 weeks later. No penalties and no problems.

If Jomtien can do all of the above, the OP could go get Non-O in Savannakhet and come back and file for the extension before he goes off to work. Or, if time is already too tight (or money unseasoned), get the Non-O in Savannakhet as soon as he gets back next time, file the extension and head off to work again.The approved extension could be collected on the next time back in Pattaya. A 28/28 schedule is a good as 30-days door-to-door with travel time and should fit the approval process times pretty closely.

Good luck!

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

One issue i that i rarely do a 30-30 rotation into thailand ,, I go via UK and often during my work season may be in 5 or 6 countries in a 7 month period followed by a long stay in thailand ,, my old Non O visa expired so first i need a new one before any need for extension I want what i had before a 1 year multi entry Non O based on marriage ,,, i will be In uk for 5 weeks in october and will try again , i dont have a UK bank but can show big funds in thailand and Hong kong ,, my wife owns our house and i own the condo ,, marriage certs and childrens birth certificates etc etc etc ,,,,

I will try dealing with cardiff and birmingham ,,,,

One issue i that i rarely do a 30-30 rotation into thailand ,, I go via UK and often during my work season may be in 5 or 6 countries in a 7 month period followed by a long stay in thailand ,, my old Non O visa expired so first i need a new one before any need for extension I want what i had before a 1 year multi entry Non O based on marriage ,,, i will be In uk for 5 weeks in october and will try again , i dont have a UK bank but can show big funds in thailand and Hong kong ,, my wife owns our house and i own the condo ,, marriage certs and childrens birth certificates etc etc etc ,,,,

I will try dealing with cardiff and birmingham ,,,,

May also be worth trying a direct approach to the Thai Consular facility in London.

Perhaps Hull, didn't present your case 'in a good light' to London and just wanted you to buy a tourist visa from them.

A friend of mine had a similar experience with Hull last year.

Best though you get a one year extension in Thailand and that would be straightforward when you can be in Thailand for a six week period around an 'admitted until' date preserved by a re-entry permit.(1 week before and 5 weeks after).

Edited by digitalchromakey

I am in a similar situation I work 28/28, I think I will try to get an o based on marriage in Savana. Is there an easier way to get there? Like flying? I don't have time to take long bus trips. Also If I get an extension later on, can I use my wifes bank account as proof of income? I have been sending over 40k per month every three months to her for 20 years. How does the extension work for someone who goes in and out of the country frequently?

I am in a similar situation I work 28/28, I think I will try to get an o based on marriage in Savana. Is there an easier way to get there? Like flying? I don't have time to take long bus trips. Also If I get an extension later on, can I use my wifes bank account as proof of income? I have been sending over 40k per month every three months to her for 20 years. How does the extension work for someone who goes in and out of the country frequently?

I rented a car. It was still a very long haul. There is an airport, but the ticket prices seemed excessive due to the small size of the airport. On the bright side, there really aren't many people there compared to a place like Vientianne.

Don't use Hull or the embassy. Call or e-mail Cardiff to check the current requirement there, back in March it was only wife's ID & marriage cert, no financials of any kind. Have to visit in person but it's then issued on the spot.

Do you have the e-mail address for Cardiff.

I typed into Google 'Email address of Thai consulate in Wales'

Took about 5 seconds to get it.

I rented a car. It was still a very long haul. There is an airport, but the ticket prices seemed excessive due to the small size of the airport. On the bright side, there really aren't many people there compared to a place like Vientianne.

Ticket prices are always higher at small airports as usually only one or two airlines. For years too fly from Bangkok to Siam Reap only one airline and that was Bangkok Airways do you think they gave you a deal

Check Nok Air or Air Asia for flights to Mukdahan both offer fly/ride service to there via Nakhon Phanom.

Lao Airways offer flights to Savannakhet from Bangkok but they are costly.

this morning i went to immigration in bangkok with my wife and all my documents , to see if we could clarify this issue ,,,

1st Immigration said that as i am now on a 30 day visa on arrival they cant do anything

2nd yes i have sufficient funds in thai banks to get marriage or retirement visa and a dependent visa (daughter) as i am 56 but due to my travel and work patterns the retirement visa might not be suitable

3rd as far as BKK immigration are concerned my income stream is more than good even though it is not monthly

4rd i will have to get another non Imm O visa somewhere ,,, abroad

5th they did admit there is a lot of confusion and variations in how embassies and consulates in other locations are interpreting the new rules ,,,

this morning i went to immigration in bangkok with my wife and all my documents , to see if we could clarify this issue ,,,

1st Immigration said that as i am now on a 30 day visa on arrival they cant do anything

2nd yes i have sufficient funds in thai banks to get marriage or retirement visa and a dependent visa (daughter) as i am 56 but due to my travel and work patterns the retirement visa might not be suitable

3rd as far as BKK immigration are concerned my income stream is more than good even though it is not monthly

4rd i will have to get another non Imm O visa somewhere ,,, abroad

5th they did admit there is a lot of confusion and variations in how embassies and consulates in other locations are interpreting the new rules ,,,

I don't know if this helps but, a couple of years ago,

I arrived on a 30 day visa waiver, went to Imm at CM who converted it into a 90 day Non Imm -O, about 45 days before it expired, CM allowed me to extend 1year on retirement. Some offices only let you extend from 30 days before expiry.

Chiang Mai have very many Farang and are very used to this, they are busy as hell though, long queues and the online appointment system was always fully booked when ever I looked.

A retirement ext is done on the spot if all your docs are correct.

A marriage ext gives you. 30 Day provisional stamp, so you have to attend again when the ext has been approved by "head office" to get the stamp for the remainder of the year.

The financials are less and you can also have a WP but it's more hassle to get than retirement IMO because you have to draw a map, show photos you you+wife+house and you need other folk to confirm who you say you are and where you live.

The Imm folk can turn up at your door to check at any later date as well.

None of that for retirement.

Just the 90 day reporting and the wife filling in the TM7? To say you are staying there.

Best to think when would be an ideal time for the ext renewal to suit your travel plans cos you have to be in Thailand to apply.

Clearly longer for the marriage ext.

I've timed my retirement ext for near end April and would generally be here from about Nov to April/May so I can apply about mid March. I have therefore to have the funds in a liquid Thai bank account from about December/January for at least three months.

As you can see, all very doable for me.

Good luck