Organic Waste Banks in Chiang Mai Province

cardinalblue

There was an article in the Bkk Post more than a few months back discussing this topic.

These are village locations where the farmers could bring their organic waste products from their lands (wood, branches, cuttings, any organic waste materiel, etc) where they then would get credit in some fashion...

My village where we have our land and now waste to get rid of knows nothing about this concept or program...

Does anyone know any of these location(s) or a gov contact person/number or have any experience with this so-called "waste bank"?

I hope this is not another public relations BS story that never materialized as it sounded like a good idea/program (at least in theory anyway)....

Thanks for any leads...

CB

I don't have any info on this but if such a scheme converted the organic waste products into biochar and compost it could be a great success. Smoke pollution would be reduced and the fertility of the soil could be substantially increased without the use of costly chemical fertilizers.

• Like 1

Is making your own compost pile, or a "group pile" for the entire village out of the question? You would need some land, so it might not be that easy.

The problem with the concept you are talking about is that people need to expend time and every (and gasoline) to get their waste to the proper location, and they are not going to be paid anything for it.

Did the article say what kind of "credit" a person would get?

now even the waste has to go on wheels to god knows where to be wasted?

isn't there enough fossil fuel burnt already?

why not start your own compost where ever you are.and later use it for farming there ?

if you don't understand the concept ask the guy from pun pun or just google responsible organic farming or something like it.

why not start your own compost where ever you are.and later use it for farming there ?

if you don't understand the concept ask the guy from pun pun or just google responsible organic farming or something like it.

Trouble here is, everything grows so fast, no way I could compost all the vegetation I cut down from my small garden every month.

We end up filling the truck and finding some wasteland. Beats burning it which my neighbours do.

I am no expert, but in your shoes I would look for ways to keep the waste on your property and speed up decomposition. There must be ways to do this but I would need to research it. After a few years, the mulch that forms would be great fertilizer for any nearby farmers.

Trouble here is, everything grows so fast, no way I could compost all the vegetation I cut down from my small garden every month.

We end up filling the truck and finding some wasteland. Beats burning it which my neighbours do.

So you dump it on somebody else's property?

With a little effort, composting is quite fast here and does not require a lot of space. Maintain proper moisture level, aerate it regularly, cover with a plastic sheet to keep moisture and heat in and use a starter like EM or manure.

• Like 1

With a little effort, composting is quite fast here and does not require a lot of space. Maintain proper moisture level, aerate it regularly, cover with a plastic sheet to keep moisture and heat in and use a starter like EM or manure.

You make it sound like I find someone's garden to dump it in, when its usually waste land near the railway tracks at a spot a few people use quite a way from anyone's home.

Will look into speeding up composting though, could use it.

While I don't want to get into the pors and cons of a centralized composting center per village vs individual composting, still looking for a contact or a dept who would be coordinating this..

Back home it is city public works solid waste division green waste recycling program...

What's the buracracic org chart here?

CB

We have nearly 3 rai of garden / orchard. No problem composting the waste, with very little effort. I agree it grows very fast. The problem is not in the composting, but the cutting, & cutting, & cutting...............

MESmith, I have been pondering this topic and I agree. Once you cut you also need to shred. There must be a mechanical device that can do that for people.

I once stored a mountain of cut grass for a few years. The soil it yielded was incredibly dark and lush. Yeah, there were a few snakes in there too...

You make it sound like I find someone's garden to dump it in, when its usually waste land near the railway tracks at a spot a few people use quite a way from anyone's home.

Will look into speeding up composting though, could use it.

it is not unusual and quite accepted to dump some organic material on some unused land.ask the kamnan in your village to point it out to you.

this is thailand ,so when you are >still looking for a contact or a dept who would be coordinating this< you must be kidding?