Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand and left stranded in Malaysia

Disclaimer: I have no real skin in this game as I'm on a new non-O multi. I'm just curious.

Are you staying on back to back 90 day entries from a Multi visa? In this case it is clearly an abuse of the rules and not how this visa is intended to be used. If the crackdown continues, these visas may well become the next target after NON-EDs

How is a multi entry visa intended to be used? It's called a multiple entry visa so you can enter multiple times, is it not?

Yes you can enter multiple times. No, you are not supposed to stay for the duration of the visa via 90-day border runs. I'd guess the intended use is for those who visit the family multiple times in a year but do not primarily live in Thailand.

Simple analogy: you can enter Thailand multiple times on 30-day visa exempt stamps. It doesn't mean you can stay here indefinitely doing a border run every 30 days.

As of now, both of the above are technically in compliance with the Thai law, but the latter is starting to be cracked down upon. The former is still safe, but who knows for how long.

A multi O based on retirement is not at all like you wrote. And that's probably the most common non O. And people also have to show monthly income or bank account statement when the apply.

But both with the ones based on retirement or family it's ok to stay 90 days and just go out and come back the same day, if you like that

I'm going to do something a bit too lacking in this thread.... show a bit of compassion and understanding. To those facing difficulties and fears of future difficulties with Visas: I believe the vast majority of you are not involved in criminal enterprises and are causing no harm to Thailand in any way, shape or form. This will all pass over when somebody realizes the impact this is having on the economy.

To those sitting on their high horses looking down on others who aren't as able as yourselves to get Visas in such an easy manner: You're not more deserving to be in Thailand than any other law abiding person. Period.

I don't see a flood of foreigners in Thailand siphoning the welfare money from Thais or filling up the prisons in any significant number.

If you can afford to stay and live in Thailand without breaking any laws (not talking about immigration laws), I have no problem whatsoever with your wishes, and I wish you good luck. You should be allowed to stay in the country as long as you like.

does your home country allow me to come and stay indefinitely if I have enough money to support myself??

No, but in my opinion they should. As long as they don't engage in criminal activities.

I'm going to do something a bit too lacking in this thread.... show a bit of compassion and understanding. To those facing difficulties and fears of future difficulties with Visas: I believe the vast majority of you are not involved in criminal enterprises and are causing no harm to Thailand in any way, shape or form. This will all pass over when somebody realizes the impact this is having on the economy.

To those sitting on their high horses looking down on others who aren't as able as yourselves to get Visas in such an easy manner: You're not more deserving to be in Thailand than any other law abiding person. Period.

I don't see a flood of foreigners in Thailand siphoning the welfare money from Thais or filling up the prisons in any significant number.

If you can afford to stay and live in Thailand without breaking any laws (not talking about immigration laws), I have no problem whatsoever with your wishes, and I wish you good luck. You should be allowed to stay in the country as long as you like.

does your home country allow me to come and stay indefinitely if I have enough money to support myself??

No, but in my opinion they should. As long as they don't engage in criminal activities.

well i dont see that folks that are of the opposite opinion are exactly "sitting on high horses"

Nice one

i stop being suprised here years ago....whistling.gif ..buy a legal visa from a THAI consul (WHO HAVE THE POWER TO REFUSE) and then be refused entry at teh border...idiotic to say the least

It's again worth remembering that possession of a visa doesn't guarantee the holder admission to a country, it's the Immigration Officer at the Border that has the final say, this applies to most countries in the World, including the likes of the UK, the Schengen Area and the United States of America.

Happened with my gf arriving from Indonesia. She had a visa in her passport from the Canadian embasy in Jakarta and was almost denied entry when she arrived at the airport. I spoke with the immigration officer for a few minutes and he agreed to alow her in. He told me the visa in her passport doesn't guarantee entry.

So it didn't happen then.

FreedomDude, I agree that its important to show compassion toward those less fortunate than ourselves. But for the grace of God, I could easily have been one of the people in this photo - interestingly, neither appears to give a toss about the crackdown. Keep smiling, people - most of us will still be here on August 13.

Sharky.jpg

i stop being suprised here years ago....whistling.gif ..buy a legal visa from a THAI consul (WHO HAVE THE POWER TO REFUSE) and then be refused entry at teh border...idiotic to say the least

It's again worth remembering that possession of a visa doesn't guarantee the holder admission to a country, it's the Immigration Officer at the Border that has the final say, this applies to most countries in the World, including the likes of the UK, the Schengen Area and the United States of America.

Happened with my gf arriving from Indonesia. She had a visa in her passport from the Canadian embasy in Jakarta and was almost denied entry when she arrived at the airport. I spoke with the immigration officer for a few minutes and he agreed to alow her in. He told me the visa in her passport doesn't guarantee entry.

So it didn't happen then.

he didnt say it did, he said the officer has the final say

While many have posted on this and other topics that the current 'crackdown' will have a major impact on Thai Tourism arrivals/expenditures, the data from 2012 is that average length of stay for ALL arrivals to Thailand is about 10 days with those from Europe staying an average of about 16 days. Those 'tourists' who stay for months or years may have a negligible impact on the overall tourism scene.

(2012 Thai Dept. of Tourism numbers)

Yes and those tourists from Europe staying 16 days. They spend more in those 16 days than the average border runner do in 5 months.

And the avarage border runner spend several times more then the avarage Thai national and usualy with money earned in an other country. Thailand will loose a lot of income if they want to have only "high end tourism".

Not all border runners are bums.

I know guys who are spending 10000 baht a day in partying and never did anything wrong.

So they are spending 10k a day or 300k a month. And go with minibuses every month for border runs ;)

Western countries have higher restrictions because of the drain on the welfare system and literally millions looking to work illegally. For all the talk of english teacher/scuba diver instructors in Thailand I don't think it's the case.

Most developing countries in central america and here in s.e asia do allow back to back entries as long as you have a valid visa.

As the news of this spreads, more and more people will likely put of trips here as the confusion reigns.

WHY ????

Because people get nervous they cannot get into Thailand and may be deported even if arriving by air after 12 AUG.

I am worried because my passport is filled with 25 pages of thai visa exempt entries. Only for up to 2 weeks at a time. But I travel a lot and have been a very frequent tourist to Thailand.

But when the immigration officer sees all these stamps they may think I am not a tourist. They probably wont use time looking thru 25 pages of stamps to get all details of visits.

a day late with answering this post, but again it merits the statement:

Only travelers with back to back stamps, eg exit and entry on same day (defacto within hours to minutes) have to worry!

Immigration officers can read dates on entry and exit stamps. And yes, if they wish to be awkward, they can turn a blind eye on it and be difficult if you are not a bonafide tourist.Personally I expect some business people to get some problems with multiple short (a couple of days) stay on tourist exempt visa stamps

A cold fact that apparently needs to be repeated ad infinitum since some people seem incapable of understanding it.

Yes, Asdecas, I totally agree with you. Statements like, "I've been here for ten years and never had this problem", or "I hope it doesn't happen at other check points", are proof that some people are not too bright. Customs/Immigration has been saying for MONTHS that changes are coming. The new reality is, IF YOU HAVE BEEN HERE MORE THAN 90 DAYS, EVEN THOUGH THE DAYS ARE NOT CONSECUTIVE, YOU ARE NOT A TOURIST. What is it about this fact that is so difficult to understand?? coffee1.gif facepalm.gif Good grief! Quit the moaning, groaning, whining, etc. and get a proper "long stay" visa.

It's difficult to understand because it is in fact not a fact. I have been to Thailand for more than 90 days as a tourist. That is a fact.

Yes, my country does. 90 days tourist visa, if you happen to overestay , without doing any wrongdoing, no pain, you just pay few dollars fine at the airport and welcome back soon.... Otherwise you can border runs for the rest of your life, no limits.

As the news of this spreads, more and more people will likely put of trips here as the confusion reigns.

WHY ????

Because people get nervous they cannot get into Thailand and may be deported even if arriving by air after 12 AUG.

I am worried because my passport is filled with 25 pages of thai visa exempt entries. Only for up to 2 weeks at a time. But I travel a lot and have been a very frequent tourist to Thailand.

But when the immigration officer sees all these stamps they may think I am not a tourist. They probably wont use time looking thru 25 pages of stamps to get all details of visits.

a day late with answering this post, but again it merits the statement:

Only travelers with back to back stamps, eg exit and entry on same day (defacto within hours to minutes) have to worry!

Immigration officers can read dates on entry and exit stamps. And yes, if they wish to be awkward, they can turn a blind eye on it and be difficult if you are not a bonafide tourist.Personally I expect some business people to get some problems with multiple short (a couple of days) stay on tourist exempt visa stamps

How could those guys have got their visas in Penang in few hours ?

Impossible.

They needed to cross into Malaysia, get to Penang in working time , wait 1 day , pick up their passport and goes back to the border.

They must have slept 1-2 nights in Malaysia.

Another question: what about if you have a double entry visa issued in your homecountry,than you go out to the border and come back by land to use the second one ?

Could they refuse you to enter on the second entry ?

We DON T WANT to break any law, we just want to have A CLEAR LAW, which is always the same.

If they want to scare tourists away, believe me, this is the best way: everything unclear and upon the mood on how a certain inm. officier has slept the previous night.

Edited by max72

Yes, my country does. 90 days tourist visa, if you happen to overestay , without doing any wrongdoing, no pain, you just pay few dollars fine at the airport and welcome back soon.... Otherwise you can border runs for the rest of your life, no limits.

Question to get one of those for a single Thai under 50, what does he need to do? Just goto your embassy and request a TR visa as it is with Thai TR visas?

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

• Like 1

please indicate the country so i can check that. it doesnt sound right

Question to get one of those for a single Thai under 50, what does he need to do? Just goto your embassy and request a TR visa as it is with Thai TR visas?

:-). A friend of mine had a Thai gf for years and they have gone to Costa Rica for years, she had overstayed there all the time, but she never had any problems to get out and go back . She just paid a ridicolous low fine at the airport , 2-3 dollars a MONTH . (now they increased it little bit, but still very low).

I mean, i respect every country laws, but come on.....if you are not breaking any law, behaving well, spending the money, why they should be so strict ? My suggestion is to make the retirement visa available for younger people and that's it.

They will need to show the money and another suggestion: check from time to time their bank accounts if there are money being DEPOSITED from inside Thailand, than you can ask them to prove where those money are come from if they are supposed to be in Thailand to SPEND....right ?

It's not hard, come on....just be organized and target the real law breaking....

Now they are doing a witch hunt, scaring people who are doing nothing bad...

Edited by max72
  • Like 1

Having to go out of the country and returning every 90 days rather than just reporting to immigration when in possession of a 1 year non o is madness and totally unreasonable(if its true)

That's the way a multi-entry non o works. You get 90 days every time you enter. The visa is valid for one year, meaning you can time your last entry just before it's expiration and get 1y 3months out of it.

Get an extension at the immigration in Thailand and you can stay without leaving. But that is 1y even. Life ain't fair, much less the visa rules.

you can have a non o retirement visa 1 year and do 90 day reporting with no need to exit country .I know many who do so

And to the smart asses who like to say"life isnt fair" when someone says some rule is unreasonable,we dont need you to tell us.Been on this earth long enough to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Then he have done the extension of stay based on retirement. If he only have the 1 year non O he must leave after 90 days

Costa Rica. You just need to stay outside 72 hours after the 90 days visa expires.

But if you overstays, you just pay a very low fine. It used to be about 3 dollars A MONTH, now they increased it little bit , but still a piece of cake.

I have a canadian friend who has doing border runs to David,Panama for 20-25 years !

How about we stay in S.E Asia?

Philippines, Cambodia, Malaysia who ENCOURAGES long term tourists with programs like Malaysia My Second Home that allows them to buy a house and import a car tax free. Basically all developing countries in s.e asia allow you to come and stay indefinitely if you have enough money to support yourself. all apart form the strongest military dictatorship Myanmar. and now Thailand.

• Like 2

). A friend of mine had a Thai gf for years and they have gone to Costa Rica for years, she had overstayed there all the time, but she never had any problems to get out and go back . She just paid a ridicolous low fine at the airport , 2-3 dollars a MONTH . (now they increased it little bit, but still very low).

I mean, i respect every country laws, but come on.....if you are not breaking any law, behaving well, spending the money, why they should be so strict ? My suggestion is to make the retirement visa available for younger people and that's it.

They will need to show the money and another suggestion: check from time to time their bank accounts if there are money being DEPOSITED from inside Thailand, than you can ask them to prove where those money are come from if they are supposed to be in Thailand to SPEND....right ?

It's not hard, come on....just be organized and target the real law breaking....

they have decided that they dont want people lliving full time in thailand if they dont meet certain requirements. period!

Are we Tourists?

Arrived in Thailand July 11, 2012. Met a Laos woman in Sept 2012 and got engaged in Vientiane in early 2013. I have a application for permanent resident in process for my common law spouse with Canada immigration in Singapore. We received interview letter from CIC in Feb 2014, wait time not more than 24 months. My wife is now 5 months pregnant. We cannot live together in Laos as we are not married. We have been in Thailand on Tourist visas and a few border runs as well since 2012 waiting for immigration Canada decision. I have steady income from Canada that I can show. We are not working in Thailand.

Are we considered as tourists in Thailand? Do we need to pack or bags and wait it out in the Phillipines? Do we deliver the baby in Thailand or the Phillipines? Now we are in Vientiane applying for 2x 60 day visas this would allow us to have our child in Thailand. We are afraid we may be refused on second 60 day entry.

I think with all the uncertainty with Thai immigration that we should pack up and leave! No more stress thinking about Thai immigration.

Where are all the experts? Where do we stand? Waiting for your comments on this.
Baby in Thailand? You would have to opt for one of the good hospitals on private care. No way you would want, nor likely get, a night in a Thai government hospital (from what I hear). Plan that delivery properly to be a proud father. I have never researched it, but I wonder if baby delivery would go under the health care visa option? The hospital will also want a considerable amount of cash deposit upfront (credit card mostly accepted). Edited by RTH10260

Will do a search tomorrow (cant now) and will post some links, about triple (3) entry TR vIsa with only 90 days validity date. To stay approx 270 days in Thailand on a 3 entry TR visa your visa needs to be valid for 6 Months.

my triple entries have never had that restriction

It is 6 month validity.
As said i will post some TV links tomorrow to show that not all consulates / embassies give out 3 Entry TR VISAs with 6 months validity but only with 90 days validity (especial Local ones)

I belive it is the one in Bali that have 3 months

Thais in general do not question authority. The immigration officers at the border get these for them annoying orders and don't like to deal with it or question their higher ups in bkk. So they just send these people away

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

Edited by boike

:-). A friend of mine had a Thai gf for years and they have gone to Costa Rica for years, she had overstayed there all the time, but she never had any problems to get out and go back . She just paid a ridicolous low fine at the airport , 2-3 dollars a MONTH .

You make a lot of valid points however

immigration in LOS, doesnt have the manpower to go and check everyones bank account, they already don't have the manpower to do home visits at peoples homes who applied for a Marriage Extension of stay (i was on my 3rd and I havent seen them, I am still waiting)

And another thing, I know that a lot of people who work both legal and illegal are getting paid in cash. For example my wife's niece (she is Thai) has a responsible demanding job at a tour agency, and she paid in cash every week (oke she deposits it immediately in her Bank account (as she wants to qualify for finance) but it wouldnt surprise me that the "illegal" workers dont do that)

Respect

Will do a search tomorrow (cant now) and will post some links, about triple (3) entry TR vIsa with only 90 days validity date. To stay approx 270 days in Thailand on a 3 entry TR visa your visa needs to be valid for 6 Months.

my triple entries have never had that restriction

It is 6 month validity.
As said i will post some TV links tomorrow to show that not all consulates / embassies give out 3 Entry TR VISAs with 6 months validity but only with 90 days validity (especial Local ones)

I belive it is the one in Bali that have 3 months

And vientiane is also one of those, I think the 6 months are only to be had in Europe or Usa.

). A friend of mine had a Thai gf for years and they have gone to Costa Rica for years, she had overstayed there all the time, but she never had any problems to get out and go back . She just paid a ridicolous low fine at the airport , 2-3 dollars a MONTH . (now they increased it little bit, but still very low).

they have decided that they dont want people lliving full time in thailand if they dont meet certain requirements. period!

Yes, but people who are NOT living full time are turned back too.

We would like to have CLEAR AND STABLE laws. Not depend on the mood of an inmigration officier who first tell you to spend a night in malaysia and come back, than tell you to go to Kuala Lumpur.... There should be laws which are always followed, so when we know clearly how it works, we will follow them.

You can't stay always with this feeling of uncertainly and instabilty.

I prefer a strict but clear law than a relaxed but blurred one.

And vientiane is also one of those, I think the 6 months are only to be had in Europe or Usa.

No, wait

Validity it means it should be used FIRSTLY within those days.

It means it will expire if you don't use its first entry within 90 or whatever days.

At least this what I have understood when I asked last time .

Otherwise it wouldn't make sense. Triple entry with 90 days expiration would be a joke.

90 days is the limit to use the first entry.

Edited by max72