Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand and left stranded in Malaysia

I'm going to do something a bit too lacking in this thread.... show a bit of compassion and understanding. To those facing difficulties and fears of future difficulties with Visas: I believe the vast majority of you are not involved in criminal enterprises and are causing no harm to Thailand in any way, shape or form. This will all pass over when somebody realizes the impact this is having on the economy.

To those sitting on their high horses looking down on others who aren't as able as yourselves to get Visas in such an easy manner: You're not more deserving to be in Thailand than any other law abiding person. Period.

I don't see a flood of foreigners in Thailand siphoning the welfare money from Thais or filling up the prisons in any significant number.

If you can afford to stay and live in Thailand without breaking any laws (not talking about immigration laws), I have no problem whatsoever with your wishes, and I wish you good luck. You should be allowed to stay in the country as long as you like.

does your home country allow me to come and stay indefinitely if I have enough money to support myself??

Western countries have higher restrictions because of the drain on the welfare system and literally millions looking to work illegally. For all the talk of english teacher/scuba diver instructors in Thailand I don't think it's the case.

Most developing countries in central america and here in s.e asia do allow back to back entries as long as you have a valid visa.

i said "if I have enough money to support myself"!

Will do a search tomorrow (cant now) and will post some links, about triple (3) entry TR vIsa with only 90 days validity date. To stay approx 270 days in Thailand on a 3 entry TR visa your visa needs to be valid for 6 Months.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

my triple entries have never had that restriction

It is 6 month validity.
As said i will post some TV links tomorrow to show that not all consulates / embassies give out 3 Entry TR VISAs with 6 months validity but only with 90 days validity (especial Local ones)

I belive it is the one in Bali that have 3 months

And vientiane is also one of those, I think the 6 months are only to be had in Europe or Usa.

No, wait wait.

Validity it means it should be used FIRSTLY within those days.

It means it will expire if you don't use its first entry within 90 or whatever days.

At least this what I have understood when I asked last time

IMHO, nope.

Suppose you goto an Embassy today to apply for a TR VISA.

the issue date will be Today, and the validity date ends (suppose) in 90 days from issue date, so after that 90 days you cant use that visa anymore.

Edit 1: the most important date in a visa is the "Enter Before" date (or similar wording). After that date you cant use that visa for entering a country anymore.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

The fact that this makes news is pretty funny. There aren't many countries where you can come an go as you please with no check of whether you have money or a criminal record. Thailand is now telling people to get a legit visa...and people are shocked when they get refused at a walk-through border crossing after back-to-back visas and after several weeks of warnings.

The border checkpoint visa offices need to put out a big pot of steaming, black coffee with a sign that reads, "See this? Wake up and smell it!! coffee1.gif

• Like 1

please indicate the country so i can check that. it doesnt sound right

How about we stay in S.E Asia?

Philippines, Cambodia, Malaysia who ENCOURAGES long term tourists with programs like Malaysia My Second Home that allows them to buy a house and import a car tax free. Basically all developing countries in s.e asia allow you to come and stay indefinitely if you have enough money to support yourself. all apart form the strongest military dictatorship Myanmar. and now Thailand.

and thailand has decided that they want to do things like america and other countries! and that is their right to do so. all the whining in the world wont change that

How about we stay in S.E Asia?

Philippines, Cambodia, Malaysia who ENCOURAGES long term tourists with programs like Malaysia My Second Home that allows them to buy a house and import a car tax free. Basically all developing countries in s.e asia allow you to come and stay indefinitely if you have enough money to support yourself. all apart form the strongest military dictatorship Myanmar. and now Thailand.

does he come from SE Asia?

:-). A friend of mine had a Thai gf for years and they have gone to Costa Rica for years, she had overstayed there all the time, but she never had any problems to get out and go back . She just paid a ridicolous low fine at the airport , 2-3 dollars a MONTH .

I mean, i respect every country laws, but come on.....if you are not breaking any law, behaving well, spending the money, why they should be so strict ? My suggestion is to make the retirement visa available for younger people and that's it.

They will need to show the money and another suggestion: check from time to time their bank accounts if there are money being DEPOSITED from inside Thailand, than you can ask them to prove where those money are come from if they are supposed to be in Thailand to SPEND....right ?

It's not hard, come on....just be organized and target the real law breaking....

Now they are doing a witch hunt, scaring people who are doing nothing bad...

You make a lot of valid points however

immigration in LOS, doesnt have the manpower to go and check everyones bank account, they already don't have the manpower to do home visits at peoples homes who applied for a Marriage Extension of stay (i was on my 3rd and I havent seen them, I am still waiting)

And another thing, I know that a lot of people who work both legal and illegal are getting paid in cash. For example my wife's niece (she is Thai) has a responsible demanding job at a tour agency, and she paid in cash every week (oke she deposits it immediately in her Bank account (as she wants to qualify for finance) but it wouldnt surprise me that the "illegal" workers dont do that)

Respect

yes likely.Forgive me for a moment the off topic.

I am 40 , let's say Thailand decided to allow over 40+ to get a retirement visa.

They should have bank accounts anyway to prove they have the money. If somebody gets the RV and still works illegaly, come on, even if he is being paid in cash, he can't keep running cash in hands for years and years.

Maybe few ones would make their way, but Thailand could legalize a HUGE number of people who are under 50 and have the capability to live in Thailand without working, without doing any wrongdoing and spending their money.

For the sake of God, there are lots of over 50 who are near broke too and they struggle to keep those 700K THB, why a guy of 40 or 45 with 4 rents at his homecountry can t be a retired and a near broke one of 50 can ? Age doesn't guarantee financial independence.

Edited by max72
  • Like 1

I'm going to do something a bit too lacking in this thread.... show a bit of compassion and understanding. To those facing difficulties and fears of future difficulties with Visas: I believe the vast majority of you are not involved in criminal enterprises and are causing no harm to Thailand in any way, shape or form. This will all pass over when somebody realizes the impact this is having on the economy.

To those sitting on their high horses looking down on others who aren't as able as yourselves to get Visas in such an easy manner: You're not more deserving to be in Thailand than any other law abiding person. Period.

I don't see a flood of foreigners in Thailand siphoning the welfare money from Thais or filling up the prisons in any significant number.

If you can afford to stay and live in Thailand without breaking any laws (not talking about immigration laws), I have no problem whatsoever with your wishes, and I wish you good luck. You should be allowed to stay in the country as long as you like.

does your home country allow me to come and stay indefinitely if I have enough money to support myself??

Yes, my country does. 90 days tourist visa, if you happen to overestay , without doing any wrongdoing, no pain, you just pay few dollars fine at the airport and welcome back soon.... Otherwise you can border runs for the rest of your life, no limits.

Yes, the UK, invest GBP1m in bonds for a 3 year investment visa and then 2 years later buy UK Residency for GBP10m.

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21599408-london-has-more-lose-most-when-it-comes-scaring-oligarchs-honey-trapped

• Like 1

i stop being suprised here years ago....whistling.gif ..buy a legal visa from a THAI consul (WHO HAVE THE POWER TO REFUSE) and then be refused entry at teh border...idiotic to say the least

It's again worth remembering that possession of a visa doesn't guarantee the holder admission to a country, it's the Immigration Officer at the Border that has the final say, this applies to most countries in the World, including the likes of the UK, the Schengen Area and the United States of America.

I just wish the USA enforced their immigration laws like the Thais do.

The difference is, The USA needs migrant workers, much like thailand needs burmese. Thailand does not need budget farang pretending to be here as tourists and in most cases working illegally.

I know plenty of farangs living here for long periods of the year........except for a handfull of business owners none of them is working.Would be interesting to see if there is some "hidden" statistics somewhere on this since every second poster here mentions that farangs staying here and using border runs or multiple tourist is working illegally in most cases.

Edited by Yahooka

Yes, the UK, invest GBP1m in bonds for a 3 year investment visa and then 2 years later buy UK Residency for GBP10m.

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21599408-london-has-more-lose-most-when-it-comes-scaring-oligarchs-honey-trapped

that is FAR MORE than I require to support myself.

The fact that this makes news is pretty funny. There aren't many countries where you can come an go as you please with no check of whether you have money or a criminal record. Thailand is now telling people to get a legit visa...and people are shocked when they get refused at a walk-through border crossing after back-to-back visas and after several weeks of warnings.

The border checkpoint visa offices need to put out a big pot of steaming, black coffee with a sign that reads, "See this? Wake up and smell it!! coffee1.gif

why they don't ask those papers when they applied for the visas ?

Nice huh ?

"here you get your visa. Please pay the fee"

"here you have your passport. Everything alright. Have a nice holiday"

And than..... stop ! go away !

Edited by max72

I still wonder what would have happened to those guys if they had an exit air ticket from Bangkok back to their countries.

Would have they been refused too ?

I don't think I am asking a stupid question, but I have received no answer yet.

This means there are no clear laws, it depends only on the mood of one inmigration guy.

If you think this is good for Thailand, good luck !

A country of lawlessness, where everything is upon the mood of bureocrats.

:-). A friend of mine had a Thai gf for years and they have gone to Costa Rica for years, she had overstayed there all the time, but she never had any problems to get out and go back . She just paid a ridicolous low fine at the airport , 2-3 dollars a MONTH .

I mean, i respect every country laws, but come on.....if you are not breaking any law, behaving well, spending the money, why they should be so strict ? My suggestion is to make the retirement visa available for younger people and that's it.

They will need to show the money and another suggestion: check from time to time their bank accounts if there are money being DEPOSITED from inside Thailand, than you can ask them to prove where those money are come from if they are supposed to be in Thailand to SPEND....right ?

It's not hard, come on....just be organized and target the real law breaking....

Now they are doing a witch hunt, scaring people who are doing nothing bad...

You make a lot of valid points however

immigration in LOS, doesnt have the manpower to go and check everyones bank account, they already don't have the manpower to do home visits at peoples homes who applied for a Marriage Extension of stay (i was on my 3rd and I havent seen them, I am still waiting)

And another thing, I know that a lot of people who work both legal and illegal are getting paid in cash. For example my wife's niece (she is Thai) has a responsible demanding job at a tour agency, and she paid in cash every week (oke she deposits it immediately in her Bank account (as she wants to qualify for finance) but it wouldnt surprise me that the "illegal" workers dont do that)

Respect

yes likely.Forgive me for a moment the off topic.

I am 40 , let's say Thailand decided to allow over 40+ to get a retirement visa.

They should have bank accounts anyway to prove they have the money. If somebody gets the RV and still works illegaly, come on, even if he is being paid in cash, he can't keep running cash in hands for years and years.

Maybe few ones would make their way, but Thailand could legalize a HUGE number of people who are under 50 and have the capability to live in Thailand without working, without doing any wrongdoing and spending their money.

For the sake of God, there are lots of over 50 who are near broke too and they struggle to keep those 700K THB, why a guy of 40 or 45 with 4 rents at his homecountry can t be a retired ? Age doesn't guarantee financial independence.

I agree that age doesnt guarantee financial independence, but Thailand has just made their visa laws that way. I can recall that they changed the RV age from 55 to 50, but I doubt it that they will lower it any further (maybe they will increase it again, but that's just speculating). I was in the same position as you (under 50, no need to work) i was tempted to buy the Elite Card but (fortunately didnt), what I did was, I moved to Cambodia, stayed there over a year, met a Thai Girl during the infrequent shopping trips and fell in love and finally got married (now well over 3 years ago).

We have a lot in Thailand that keeps us here, but I already told the missus if they are getting even more difficult with visas we are "leaving". meaning that we start travelling around Asia/Europe, and only stay in Thailand for 3-6 months a year as to almost full time now

Edited by MJCM

Why do you keep trying to compare your home country or the UK to a developing country? Is the UK or your home country one?

Developing countries encourage long term tourists because the capital inflow benefits their economy. As I said before every single dev country in s.e asia allows people with a valid visa to come in, back to back or not. some like Malaysia with their MM2H go a step further and offer extra incentive if you can show you have enough money to sustain yourself.

Edited by firestar
  • Like 1

Why do you keep trying to compare your home country or the UK to a developing country? Is the UK or your home country one?

Developing countries encourage long term tourists because the capital inflow benefits their economy. As I said every single dev country in s.e asia apart allows people with a valid visa to come in, back to back or not. some like Malaysia with their MM2H go a step further and offer extra incentive if you can show you have enough money to sustain yourself.

thailand has decided that they want to use the same criteria many other countries use. its not up to you or me to decide what level of development they have achieved and at what point they will change their criteria! you dont agree with their decision? let them know.

thailand has decided that they want to use the same criteria many other countries use. its not up to you or me to decide what level of development they have achieved and at what point they will change their criteria! you dont agree with their decision? let them know.

Developing countries encourage long term tourists because the capital inflow benefits their economy. As I said every single dev country in s.e asia apart allows people with a valid visa to come in, back to back or not. some like Malaysia with their MM2H go a step further and offer extra incentive if you can show you have enough money to sustain yourself.

So can you tell me how long a tourist can stay after 12 august ?

30 days ? 60 days with a single tourist visa ? 120 with a double entry ? 60+30 with 1 extension ? 60+30+60+30 or just 60+30+60 ?

I want to know it clearly because I WANT TO FOLLOW THE NEW RULES. But I don't want to travel without being sure of what it is right or what it is wrong. Am I asking too much ?

The point IT IS NOT CLEAR. We want to follow the law but still have to fear to be refused entry because the officier is in a bad mood.

Why did he say tourist is only 30 days if there are tourist visas of 60 days (or 180 days for Peruvian, Brazilians, Argentines and Chileans) ?

Other countries have criteria more or less strict. Thailand has only confusion.

30 days ? 60 days with a single tourist visa ? 120 with a double entry ? 60+30 with 1 extension ? 60+30+60+30 or just 60+30+60 ?

I want to know it clearly because I WANT TO FOLLOW THE NEW RULES. But I don't want to travel without being sure of what it is right or what it is wrong. Am I asking too much ?

The point IT IS NOT CLEAR. We want to follow the law but still have to fear to be refused entry because the officier is in a bad mood.

Why did he say tourist is only 30 days if there are tourist visas of 60 days (or 180 days for Peruvian, Brazilians, Argentines and Chileans) ?

if you are confused and dont feel comfortable visiting thailand as a tourist I recommend you dont visit thailand as a tourist.

So why did I pay 75 quid for a triple entry tourist visa in London?

I can not even use it!

Yes you can, if you are a legitimate tourist.

Maybe I'm stupid but what does a Thai Consulate or Embassy consider a legimate tourist when issuing a tourist visa. I can't find anything on Thai Government websites which asks for an applicant to define their 'status' as a tourist when applying for a tourist visa.

Like many government organizations worldwide may tell you "we cannot give you legal advice, ask your accountant or lawyer".

It's up to the visitor to the guest country to research the details. For a genuine (short stay) tourist the travel agency has the answers, for those planning their own trips Google and the web is your friend.

Fair enough but implying, as many have done, that someone with back to back tourist visas isn't a tourist or that it isn't allowed elsewhere is incorrect.

You are right in saying it isn't our decision. I own a company and pay taxes it isn't a concern for me. only amused to see the retirees/spouses cheering. I wonder if they will take it the same way if/when security deposit requirements start going up smile.png

• Like 1

Fair enough but implying, as many have done, that someone with back to back tourist visas isn't a tourist or that it isn't allowed elsewhere is incorrect.

You are right in saying it isn't our decision. I own a company and pay taxes it isn't a concern for me. only amused to see the retirees/spouses cheering. I wonder if they will take it the same way if/when security deposit requirements start going up smile.png

if it isnt allowed in THEIR country, I have little patience with their whining about thailand not allowing it. no one said it isnt allowed elsewhere.

if it isnt allowed in THEIR country, I have little patience with their whining about thailand not allowing it. no one said it isnt allowed elsewhere.

Do retirement visas exist in YOUR country? no problem if thailand decides to scrap them then right?

After all many retirees "abuse" the visa by working and Thailand is in a stage of it's development where it doesn't really need old people from foreign countries staying here.

Edited by firestar

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"For the past years I've been living in Thailand during European winter months (November-March). My work is online and has nothing to do with Thailand, can do it anywhere but I like living in Thailand. I travel around quite often within Thailand and rent a house for 5 or 6 months. I used to apply for a triple entry tourist visa as I can't get a non-o because I'm 34. Does anybody know what I should do for next winter? "

Yes go to Costa Rica or Brazil or Mexico or some island in the Caribean or South Africa or Bali or Spain or .....

Edited by beammeup

if you are confused and dont feel comfortable visiting thailand as a tourist I recommend you dont visit thailand as a tourist.

Very helpful. Why are you in this forum than ? The purpose of this forum is to be informed and exchange information.

I just would like to know how long I am entitled to stay as a tourist BECAUSE I AM A DAMNED TOURIST.

Are you suggesting I should brake the law with an improper type of visa ?

Should i visit Thailand as what ? I would brake the law.

I am a tourist and I want to spend Nov-March months in a warm climate. I prefer Thailand,because i like snorkelling, Muay Thai, I learnt the language, i like the food, etc....

if they say mid term tourists are not welcomed, just SAID SO and that's it....

few hundreds of thousands of people will go to spend their 30K euro vacation in a neighbour country.

But please just tell us clearly....

30 days, 60, 90, 120 ? 1 visa, 2 visas ....please tell us.

Edited by max72

Do retirement visas exist in YOUR country? no problem if thailand decides to scrap them then right?

After all many retirees "abuse" the visa by working and Thailand is in a stage of it's development where it doesn't really need old people from foreign countries staying here.

no they are not available in my country . and as for scrapping a visa type, that has nothing to do with this discussion. Thailand has not scrapped anything. they are simply insisting that the visa provided be used in the way it was intended in the legislation. foreigners on retirement visas ARE using their visas in the way they were intended. two completely different situations.

How do you know That ?

There are lots of guys with retirement visas who are working because they struggle to get the 700K THB !

There are others with ED visa who are not studying anything if not kamasutra, others with business visa doing no business, others with O marriage visas who have not lived with their spouses for years, etc etc

There are many more law breaking people amongst the "proper" visas categories than the ones with tourist visas, most of them are really..... tourists ...nothing more nothing less.

It looks like some guys here with a different type of visa rather than tourist feel superior and look down at the tourists who want to spend few months rather than 1 month in Thailand....

• Like 2

i stop being suprised here years ago....whistling.gif ..buy a legal visa from a THAI consul (WHO HAVE THE POWER TO REFUSE) and then be refused entry at teh border...idiotic to say the least

It's again worth remembering that possession of a visa doesn't guarantee the holder admission to a country, it's the Immigration Officer at the Border that has the final say, this applies to most countries in the World, including the likes of the UK, the Schengen Area and the United States of America.

Yes and related to this is the confusion many posters continue to make between Immigrations and Embassies/consulates as well as the continued misunderstanding amongst so many Thai Visa posters as to the basis upon which they are staying in the country.

The visa issued by consulates and embassies is similar to a letter of introduction that you hand over to Immigrations at a port of entry. Permission to enter the country (or not), the length of your stay and the conditions under which you are permitted to stay is totally up to Immigrations as is any extension of stay in the country.

The purpose of a visa exempt entry is to allow someone to visit Thailand briefly. A tourist visa may permit a longer stay, but it is still intended for a comparatively short visit. An education visa is for those who seriously want to learn at a school, college or university.

So many people have bragged about staying here for years misusing these various modes of entry into the country. When anyone poses a question about staying in Thailand for long periods if the writer doesn't qualify for a long stay extension the advice is always about how to circumvent the spirit, if not the letter, of the regulations and rules. Anyone claiming he thought it was totally OK to do border runs or serial visa runs is either kidding himself or he's been drinking the Thai Visa Kool-Aid too long.

People in the government, in Immigrations, in the police, read these forums and other farang-centric websites. Do you really think you can go on forever conversing "in private" about how you never do 90 days reports or how you're on 6 year overstay or about which embassy or consulates hands out tourist visas with no questions asked?

The problem is not the Thai government or Immigrations. If you still cling to that mantra you're in denial. And of course in so many cases if someone mentioned this before, another poster would immediately chime in with "get off your high horse," or "you're being pedantic."

Where is your backup link about the Nation of Thailand's 'intention' for a tourist visa... is INTENT written somewhere in Thai Law? I am sure you can find it to support your claim of intent. Also - by failure to enforce certain aspects of the Tourist Visa - and not enforce it for years and in fact has totally facilitated the use of back to back - multiple Tourist Visas and Border Run Extensions the Thai Government via the Immigration Authority created a De Facto Law allowing back back visas and border runs. The TOURISTS did not create it and no one should feel guilty for using it as allowed. And many thousands of tourists - likely hundreds of thousands of tourists over the years had no reason to become expert in Thai Visa law and scour thaivisa.com everday researching the subject ... they were here as tourists doing what tourist do... For those who broke laws and intentionally misused the Tourist Visas and Extensions - then their free ride is coming to an end -- but PLEASE do not lump everyone together as guilty. I can only say you live in some sort of holier than thou bubble...
From your profile I take it that you are American. So this is to remind you that not all world uses the common law concept, that originated in the UK, based on precedences and judges interpretations thereof.

Thailand developed (as I have learnt) it's modern judical system based on French law of the time. So essentially it is styled in Roman form (Caesar etc). That means judges don't "develop" law, they interpret the written word. If unsure about the intent of the law makers they look up the proceedings of the parliament. As such even long standing non implementation of law does not create "new law". Any government can return to implement the wording of the law anytime.

As a westerner of course, seeing the decade long non implementation and abuse of immigration law, I would have expected some sort of grandfathering for certain classes of abuse, rather than the two month "reign of terror" we see now. I assume it will take longer than this for the word to reach the farang gone local in the far corner of Isaan.

• Like 1

no they are not available in my country . and as for scrapping a visa type, that has nothing to do with this discussion. Thailand has not scrapped anything. they are simply insisting that the visa provided be used in the way it was intended in the legislation. foreigners on retirement visas ARE using their visas in the way they were intended. two completely different situations.

Retirees running Bars/Restaurants, and I know a few, AREN'T using their visa the way it was intended. A tourist is granted a permission to stay for 90 days, he does not work, partakes only in recreational and leisure activities, he is using the visa the way it was intended. If he is granted another 90 days and again uses it for recreational purposes he is again using it the way it was intended. He hasn't abused his visa and he hasn't broken any laws. If there was a law on consecutive days allowed or days per year the he would have but there isn't.

Anyway it's amusing how you went from it isn't allowed in THEIR country so they shouldn't whine to never mind what is allowed in their country.