Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand and left stranded in Malaysia

It appears abundantly transparent that this is just the beginning of cleansing Thailand of undesirable foreigners.

• Next will be land bought with a shell company.
  • WP holders that are not actually working.
  • B Visa holders that have absolutely no business here in Thailand whatsoever.
  • Retirement Visa's and those that never really had the money in the bank to qualify but paid under the table.
  • Marriage visa holders that do not live with the wife anymore.

The list goes on and on.

There is a mass cleansing approaching this will effect not only the tourist visa runners but almost everyone regardless of what you read here not everyone is a squeaky clean as they make out....watch your back, your turn is coming.

Yes, could easily be they're going to weed out other illegal activities as well.

But your remark 'almost everyone' is way of the mark, I think many, many more people are acting according to the book than not.

It appears abundantly transparent that this is just the beginning of cleansing Thailand of undesirable foreigners.

• Next will be land bought with a shell company.
  • WP holders that are not actually working.
  • B Visa holders that have absolutely no business here in Thailand whatsoever.
  • Retirement Visa's and those that never really had the money in the bank to qualify but paid under the table.
  • Marriage visa holders that do not live with the wife anymore.

The list goes on and on.

There is a mass cleansing approaching this will effect not only the tourist visa runners but almost everyone regardless of what you read here not everyone is a squeaky clean as they make out....watch your back, your turn is coming.

I assume your a Thai immigration officer then..?..........blink.png

Speculation and stating Opinion are legitimate parts of any Forum discussion group. I detect nothing in Xeno's post that suggests he is posing as a IO... You just do not like to hear different opinions it would seem.

Correct it's a forum of views, but the post is an attempt at scare mongering in my opinion and as a forum "I" am entitled to post my thoughts eh.

Well I would expect the central immigration department to issue a full clarification of any new regulations in precise detail to the airlines in advance of the August 12th changes, especially if it could have an impact on people being refused entrance. It's a very different thing to refuse entry at an airport than a land border. Certain international treaties come into play as well.

At that point everyone will know exactly what's going to change.

But this is Thailand and sometimes things don't work in the same way here as they do elsewhere.

------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed -- and therein lies a huge conflict of interests since the consulates rely on the income. Central government would need to lay down clearer rules for the consulates to follow. Remember the changes to Hull's approach after pressure from above a few years ago? It is perfectly possible for visas to be issued only in situations where they are pretty much certain to be accepted at the border, but the border immigration officer will *always* have the last say. Meantime the airlines are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, so they try to fail safe and make sure a traveller has at least got either a visa or an onward ticket.

Rules for airlines are clear as they are: visa exempt entry requires onward/return ticket, visa entry no special requirements. If the traveler gets refused that is the traveler's problem, not the airline's.

I would expect the airlines to start enforcing the rules a bit better though (maybe after some initial problems).

Indeed -- it's difficult enough for the airlines to recognise the various styles of "visa". A re-entry permit raised some eyebrows with airline staff on more than one occasion - fortunately resolved by the supervisor.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You live in a cave? There are so many people LIVING here on tourists visa's receiving income from Thailand. You never been to a restaurant/bar opened by a farang for his GF or wife? Nothing illegal about that, but they are on TOURIST visa and not really tourists are they? You never met a farang selling or renting property on the side? You never know an English Teacher? You want a link? PLEASE.

No Bill, I don't live in a cave at all.

I know many, many farang that have restaurants/bars ran by their wives/GF's, but don't know one of them on a tourist visa. All are on at a minimum of non-O visa. There is stupid, but to try to do this long term on a tourist visa? FYI, my wife ran a restaurant for almost 13 years while I have been here, so my nose was pretty close to the ground at that time.

"You never met a farang selling or renting property on the side?" Correct, I have never met a farang doing this, even during my years living in Pattaya.

English teachers? I know many but all with work permits. In defence, I don't know how the conversation schools work and the ones I know doing private lessons are breaking labour laws not immigration (as they already have WP's).

"You want a link?" Yes, that is what I asked for in the original post.

Unfortunately (due to the abusive nature of BillR) I have to confirm that he is right. I have met many many people working (mainly teaching) whilst on tourist visas with agencies and language centers paying the bill for their border runs and tourist visas. I am still exposed to the same environment that I have met many of them through but have to admit that this number has reduced over the past 2 years. On the whole they have been the less enjoyable demographic from that environment and do tend to be the ones that always plead poverty whilst clutching a bottle of Chang.

I just wonder what all these agencies and language schools are going to do now. They really can't afford to employ qualified teachers so it'll certainly be interesting to see how these businesses are faring in a few months time.

There are a lot of us over age 60 guys that are available for the newly vacated teaching positions. And we are qualified. And we are here on long term visas... My friend and I are looking for a real situation with a WP... not something dodgy. In the recent past we over 60 guys have been avoided by those placing people in the better jobs - but I imagine we will begin to look younger and more attractive to them now or in the near future. Plus we can convert our Visas to the B category if a legitimate job was offered - one with a WP...

I doubt the problem will be your age. It is more likely to be your wage requirements. Are you willing to work B150-200 per hour or B25,000 per month? The people who are doing the border runs to work here have been. The problem then comes down to the fact that some Thai people will put their children into these language centers even though they know they aren't really learning any English. It all comes down to perceived image and selling to the insecurities of the masses. Children speaking English shows them as being ahead, sending them to the schools shows you are willing to pay money to make this edge.

I dread to think how the kids who were being taught by some of the people I have met sound when they speak English. The worst one was a long term overstayer who scraped by pathetically each month (often missing rent payment deadlines, etc) and had the broadest Dagenham accent of all time. I could only imagine hoardes of Thai kids sounding like a pissed Mick Jagger running about the place. Funny for me....not for them!

I have been to Thailand 14 times. I am a contract engineer and I literally never know when a job will end. I typically get a few days notice, maybe a one week. No time to risk mailing my passport out to some embassy here in the USA or coordinating any sort of travel plans. One of the reasons i love Thailand is what had been the ease of entry. As a US citizen I fly in to BKK get a 30 day stamp and start my holiday. Twice in 10 years I extended my stay by making one visa run on each trip. On one of my trips, I made two visa runs each time getting another 30 days. I hardly think I was abusing the system. I have never gotten a Tourist Visa in advance. I get very concerned when I see some border official say things like the article quoted: "You are a tourist 30 days no more".

You have no time to apply for any sort of visa in the US? The US probably has more Thai Consulates than most countries. How about applying for a visa as soon as you get back to the US from Thailand? They are usually issued within 24-hours so unless you are working in Alaska, with USPS Express Mail, you can have your passport back within a working week. I got a Non-B, 1-year, multiple-entry visa from the Thai Consulate in Houston in 24-hours. TWICE. And I'm not even a US citizen. Next you'll be telling us some of your contracts are less than a week in length. What do you do then? Jump straight back on a plane back here? Why?

Oh wait... I see, you have "No time to risk mailing my passport out to some embassy here in the USA or coordinating any sort of travel plans.".. but isn't booking a flight from the US to Thailand entail coordinating SOME sort of travel plan? How on earth do you do that? I know, I know.... you can book an e-ticket online and you can't get a visa like that. Too much like hard work huh?

The reason you love Thailand so much has probably got feet on one end and a real cute smile. Get with the program and get a double-entry TR visa and try and extend your current 'ease of entry' beyond the 12th August.

I agree. If someone has enough time to not only fly to Thailand but spend time here, as a tourist, then one also has plenty of time to get a visa beforehand. Sure, it may cut off 2-3 days of leisure time, but come on, that's not the end of the world is it?

unfortunately, this event already spread in the eastern part of thailand since saturday.. all officers are very strict and determined not to put a stamp on the passport unless a ticket will be shown-- a ticket indicating that you are flying back to your homeland

Well I would expect the central immigration department to issue a full clarification of any new regulations in precise detail to the airlines in advance of the August 12th changes, especially if it could have an impact on people being refused entrance. It's a very different thing to refuse entry at an airport than a land border. Certain international treaties come into play as well.

At that point everyone will know exactly what's going to change.

But this is Thailand and sometimes things don't work in the same way here as they do elsewhere.

------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed -- and therein lies a huge conflict of interests since the consulates rely on the income. Central government would need to lay down clearer rules for the consulates to follow. Remember the changes to Hull's approach after pressure from above a few years ago? It is perfectly possible for visas to be issued only in situations where they are pretty much certain to be accepted at the border, but the border immigration officer will *always* have the last say. Meantime the airlines are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, so they try to fail safe and make sure a traveller has at least got either a visa or an onward ticket.

Rules for airlines are clear as they are: visa exempt entry requires onward/return ticket, visa entry no special requirements. If the traveler gets refused that is the traveler's problem, not the airline's.

I would expect the airlines to start enforcing the rules a bit better though (maybe after some initial problems).

Excellent point for those with the fanciful idea that Thai Immigration will be flooded on the air-side with visa miscreants that were denied entry and have nowhere to go and no means of getting there.

If you have a visa, you don't need a return ticket.

If you don't have a visa, you need a return/onward ticket.

Those with a brand new visa sitting next to pages and pages of land-border, visa-run stamps... better have an onward/return ticket. I mean the reason you went and got the TR visa was BECAUSE of your 'priors' wasn't it? You already KNOW that the game is up so why push your luck?

• Like 2

So far in the past few months there was a crackdown of varying degrees on the following:

• 30-day visa exempt stamps
  • tourist visas
  • NON-ED visas
  • multi NON-B visas with no work permit
  • medical extensions

For the love of God I can't understand why people with multi entry NON-Os happily cheer the crackdown. Those visas are clearly not intended for permanent stay (that's what 1-year extensions for) and this is why you have to do a border run every 90 days. You are abusing the system in the same way people on back to back tourist visas did, especially if you use the multi NON-O visa to circumvent the requirement of having funds in the Thai bank.

You are way off track with your statements on Non Imm Multi-Entry 'O' Visas. Thai immigration authorities - at every crossing facilitate the use of my Non 'O' as it is allowed by the Thai Border Police IOs ...( at least so far). Using the the Non Imm Multi 'O' for going and coming in and out of Thailand is not an abuse in any way. It is perfectly legal and allowed by the Immigration Authorities ... In fact the Consul General who issued me my Non Imm Multi 'O' made it very clear that touring the countries around Thailand using my visa was one justifiable reason for granting it.

Also - there has been NO objection by Thai Immigration Authorities for using the Non Imm Multi 'O' for a quick turn around border run .. in fact they facilitate it and it is done with a smile most times. Saying that it is an abuse to use a visa in a manner totally approved, allowed and facilitated - and done knowingly by Thai Immigration Authorities for many years and is done currently --- is patently absurd.

'Permanent stay'... we are leaving at least every 90 days. Nothing permanent about that.

Things may change in the future as it has for Exemptions and Extensions ... and those who possess a Non Imm Multi 'O' visa will have to take another route ... convert to an Extension of Stay. Which by the way I can do at any time if I wanted to.

Lets face it, 60 days is more than adequate time for people to take holidays in any particular country and who knows how long these people have been hanging out in Thailand using the back door methods. The Thai authorities have been more than generous in the past and the times for turning a blind eye has to now cease and desist.

If these people are unable to meet the requirements as imposed by the Immigration Departments then they have no entitlements to be here. Either obtain the appropriate visas, go elsewhere or go home, these are the only options available to them as by law always has been and always will, only now the laws are being enforced, so it beats me how these can feel shocked or feel that are are receiving a mis-justice?

Westerners of little wealth, the illegal business owners, illegal workers, possibly those of the criminal elements and hasslers are not wanted in Thailand for the long term, otherwise the Thais would not have created these laws and now that these laws are at last being actively enforced we can expect to see a lot less undesirable foreigners in Thailand for the future, that in my opinion cannot be a bad thing.

Please list some of the laws these guys were breaking.

It can;t come to your mind that some people want to spend few months away from the harsh winter of Europe,Russia or Corea ?

Is too difficult to understand there are many wealthy people under 50 or many people who works only in summer months and than they like to stay in the tropics for the winter months ?

There are MILLIONS of people in this situation, including myself. I have never worked in Thailand, I don't need to work, fortunately I am AGES under 50, I have never broken any law in Thailand or anywhere else.

There are others who surely work on tourist visas, but not all of them.

It's WAY possible to spend several months a year on holidays.

And still is. The authorities have already disclosed that those who can show proof of stay in rented accommodation or a hotel and have a booked flight ticket back to their home countries for the duration of their few months in Thailand will have no problems

As regards those who are breaking the laws I have fully explained this in my previous post. Because of those contravening the laws now everyone is considered a suspected law breaker and the authorities are not interested in situations and not making any exceptions for border hoppers. As I said; genuine tourists and holiday makers will not have a problem.

unfortunately, this event already spread in the eastern part of thailand since saturday.. all officers are very strict and determined not to put a stamp on the passport unless a ticket will be shown-- a ticket indicating that you are flying back to your homeland

that's strict, they used to only require a third class bus ticket to the border. Very costly to change most airline tickets....can be more difficult in the Summer months, too.

Yaaaayyy.....

More confusion. It does seem the serial abusers were the ones punished though.

It sucks, because I recently moved back to the US and I was hoping to spend my summers in Thailand. This would probably be less than 60 days, but more than 30.

I am 32 and teach in the US, so retirement is not an option.

Oh well, I have a whole year before I really have to worry about it. I am sure it will change 42 times from now till then.

In our dreams this is here to stay

As the news of this spreads, more and more people will likely put of trips here as the confusion reigns.

I don't think so. People visiting here as "real" tourists are unlikely to be affected, particularly as they invariably arrive by air. As clearly stated in the OP, the eight people who were refused entry all had a history of border crossings and numerous Tourist Visas, so the official was clearly following orders not to allow bogus "tourists" into Thailand.

There are numerous ways that a person can arrange legal status in Thailand, and I certainly have no sympathy for anyone who uses tourist visas to carry out unlawful work in Thailand. I am of the opinion that once Thailand has rid itself of such bogus tourists, they may start to make things slightly easier for those of us who stay here legally - such as disposing of the pointless 90 day reporting ...!!

Not according to what is being said at the border. You are a tourist for only 30 days. It would appear 60 day visas are meaningless.

If you enter on a 60-day tourist visa, then stay for that period! Who said that you had to leave after 30-days? Heck, just before the 60-day period is up, the tourist could go to the local Immigration Office and apply for an extension for another 30-days (the cost is 1900 baht).

If a tourist requires more than 90-days in Thailand, then in the minds of most people, something is afoul.

You could argue otherwise, but you would have a hard time convincing the immigration officer.

Interesting that visitors from Russia, Laos, Vietnam and South Korea are "no longer welcome" via the Sungai Kolok portal. Maybe it's that anti-Communist thing - and somebody doesn't know that Russia has gone capitalist - or the difference between South Korea and North Korea (North Korea - in case anybody from Immigration is reading this - is the one run by the baby-faced megalomaniac with the Comic Cuts hair and the limp).

If it is intended as a Reds-only restriction - possibly meant as a sweetener to Western nations critical of the current Thai regime - why aren't Chinese tourists not on the list?

Also interesting that there are no reports of thwarted "tourists" gaining entry after greasing palms - which seems to indicate the anti-corruption drive is starting to percolate through the entire bureaucratic system. Good news, except for those who attempting to abuse visa regulations. Like John Major said, no pain, no gain.

until they change the LAW to state that tourist can only stay so many days a year ..none of these people are breaking the law...so all the smart ass would do well to remember this.......you could be next Jack

it is immigrations job to catch illegal workers INSIDE thailand and arrest , blacklist then deport them ..........not at borders before they have enteredblink.png there is a declatation on the immigration card that you sign..that is how they get you INSIDE thailand

Well, no.

It is immigration job to stop possible violators from even entering.

Saying that, current crack down even on tourist visa holders is draconian.

May be Thailand should introduce 1 year tourist visa or alternatively develop a new program for people under the retirement age who may want to live in Thailand.

Again saying that , they did, the elite program which is fairly expansive. May be this is what Thailand wants , only people with money.

Nothing wrong with that, only people with money do not move to Thailand

Tourists don't stay for 1 year. I don't know of any country which issues 1-year tourist visas.

The Thai Elite program does...

It doesn't have the (T) tourist visa. I belivev it's a PE visa. There have been photos of it here

... based on the fact that the people involved were just tourists...

... they were just being tourists... went for another 30 days and WHAM - door is closed....

And where do you know that from ?

The OPsaid "All of the foreigners who were denied entry had a previous

history of multiple visa exempt entries or back to back tourist visas",

so clearly they were not "just tourists"...

How do I know? The two I was speaking of are my next door neighbors and friend - and yes they were deemed to have too many Extensions based on an Exemption upon entry. But they are true tourist and had no knowledge that anything they were doing for the 120 days they have been here was done in a wrongful manner - because it wasn't - it was the norm - it was allowed ... No deceit was in play ... they have an air ticket for July 29 to leave Thailand - booked in June. It was totally disregarded by the IO. They were denied and sent to Penang to get a tourist visa ... Which after 2 and 1/2 days they now have and are on their way back to cross the border ... I have my fingers crossed that they will be allowed entry,

Note: The couple has not violated any of Thailand's laws... they have not held jobs, they have done extensive touring in many areas of Thailand ... and they were not planning on staying past about 150 days. Nothing they encountered before led them to believe that is was not possible or that is was wrong to proceed as they did. It was allowed

I have stayed in Thailand for 1 and a half years on tourist visas in the past (an indefinite tourist) without working here. I am now on an education visa as I am studying Thai. My girlfriend is pregnant at the moment and I am worried about when my education visa runs out. I make enough money back home to support us but not to qualify for a non O visa. What can I do? I realize they won't have any sympathy for splitting up a young family and I am worried I am going to have to leave my wife and young child here. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Why having a child if you can't even afford a visa to stay with your GF and child?

With so little money you obviously have to start working so you get some money. That's what all other people have to do

One moment she is the girlfriend, next she is the wife ???? If married - get a non-O based on marriage - simple.

if not - marry her smile.png

Well she is my แฟน or fan, which doesn't really differentiate between the 2. We are not married yet. That'll be sometime next year........ perhaps sooner so I can get the non O!

Like I said before, it's not about the money, it's having it in a Thai bank account as I don't work here........

I do not work in Thailand, much less live there. But I do have a bank account (savings acct at Bangkok Bank)... which I opened using a Tourist Visa.

I don't understand what's your concern? If you want to stay in Thailand, you have the legitimate reason(s). As for the bank account, if you require one, then open an account.

<snip>

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers!

You could always go back to your home country, and work, say for 3-6 months. Think of it as an opportunity to contribute to society.

Or in lieu of working, just find another haven to hang out... again for 3-6 months. When you arrive in Thailand, enter via an airport.

Edited by Gumballl

I am releaved that I have not done any major investments in Thailand as it seems like I will not be able to stay here. This is the first year I have been staying for 6 months using multiple TV. I had no idea that I was abusing the system as I thought that it was perfectly legit to do so. I can not remember any postings about abuse of the visa-rules when I looked for information about how I could stay in Thailand on a long term basis before, but I might have not looked at the right forums/sections.

I am 42 years old and have monthly pension (disabilty) from my native country and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. I had actually plans for settling down in Thailand because of my health issues by using multiple TV, but the current situation shows that it will be impossible for me to do so.

Currently I am living with my girlfriend and taking care of her as she does not work. I am taking care of her daughter from a previous relationship and paying for her education. I am also paying my girlfriends mother to take care of my gf's daughter. So I feel I contribute and do not really have the feeling of doing anything wrong. Until now that is.

I am too young for a "retirement"-visa and putting life on hold for 8 years just to get to live in Thailand will not be an option. Getting married is not a tempting option either right now, as I feel it is way to early for doing that commitment, just to be allowed to stay in Thailand 9 months of the year ( was planning to stay in my native country 3 months pr year).

My only hope would be that there would be possible to get a "retirement-visa" before 50 years of age, but I guess there are no plans about changing that. And I am sure there are many more like me out there in the same situation now. The stay "healthy in Thailand" is not an option anymore. So I guess I better start look for options of where to relocate.

I am releaved that I have not done any major investments in Thailand as it seems like I will not be able to stay here. This is the first year I have been staying for 6 months using multiple TV. I had no idea that I was abusing the system as I thought that it was perfectly legit to do so. I can not remember any postings about abuse of the visa-rules when I looked for information about how I could stay in Thailand on a long term basis before, but I might have not looked at the right forums/sections.

I am 42 years old and have monthly pension (disabilty) from my native country and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. I had actually plans for settling down in Thailand because of my health issues by using multiple TV, but the current situation shows that it will be impossible for me to do so.

Currently I am living with my girlfriend and taking care of her as she does not work. I am taking care of her daughter from a previous relationship and paying for her education. I am also paying my girlfriends mother to take care of my gf's daughter. So I feel I contribute and do not really have the feeling of doing anything wrong. Until now that is.

I am too young for a "retirement"-visa and putting life on hold for 8 years just to get to live in Thailand will not be an option. Getting married is not a tempting option either right now, as I feel it is way to early for doing that commitment, just to be allowed to stay in Thailand 9 months of the year ( was planning to stay in my native country 3 months pr year).

My only hope would be that there would be possible to get a "retirement-visa" before 50 years of age, but I guess there are no plans about changing that. And I am sure there are many more like me out there in the same situation now. The stay "healthy in Thailand" is not an option anymore. So I guess I better start look for options of where to relocate.

why cant you get triple entry tourist visas every year?. that will get you almost 270 days per year

For the past years I've been living in Thailand during European winter months (November-March). My work is online and has nothing to do with Thailand, can do it anywhere but I like living in Thailand. I travel around quite often within Thailand and rent a house for 5 or 6 months. I used to apply for a triple entry tourist visa as I can't get a non-o because I'm 34. Does anybody know what I should do for next winter?

Come to Thailand for 90-days (60 + 30 extension). Then afterwards... and this might be tough to fathom... go to another country for 90-days.

You can come back to Thailand the next year.

i stop being suprised here years ago....whistling.gif ..buy a legal visa from a THAI consul (WHO HAVE THE POWER TO REFUSE) and then be refused entry at teh border...idiotic to say the least

It's again worth remembering that possession of a visa doesn't guarantee the holder admission to a country, it's the Immigration Officer at the Border that has the final say, this applies to most countries in the World, including the likes of the UK, the Schengen Area and the United States of America.

I just wish the USA enforced their immigration laws like the Thais do.

Why? Did an illegal immigrant take away your job picking strawberries?

Seriously, get real... and educated. Immigrants in the US... both legal and illegal... tend to work harder than the typical brain-washed American punk that probably has nothing more than a high school education.

• Like 2

For the past years I've been living in Thailand during European winter months (November-March). My work is online and has nothing to do with Thailand, can do it anywhere but I like living in Thailand. I travel around quite often within Thailand and rent a house for 5 or 6 months. I used to apply for a triple entry tourist visa as I can't get a non-o because I'm 34. Does anybody know what I should do for next winter?

Come to Thailand for 90-days (60 + 30 extension). Then afterwards... and this might be tough to fathom... go to another country for 90-days.

You can come back to Thailand the next year.

why cant he get another triple next year?

So you think it is ok to live somewhere on tourist visa?

But even more importantly, you can stay here if you want but chose not to do so, leaving your girlfriend and kid alone just because the visa rules inconvenience you? Sounds like a sound relationship.

• Like 2

Hello, sorry I have a tourist visa and I am scare to come back now, how stupid can they be to give me a visa and then deny entry !!! Whatever people who know everything here will say it is stupid to let the final decision in the hands of any employee at the border who knows nothing....

Apparently they must know more than you if you are the one that is scared sh^tless.

If you are not breaking the law, then you have nothing to fear. Upon arrival, if you are questioned by the immigration officer as to whether you are a legitimate tourist, then prove it... show that you have a return ticket to your home (or another) country, show evidence that you will be staying in a hotel, or have other travel plans.

If you are planning a border crossing from Malaysia, then avoid it. Fly in instead. Most tourists tend to fly in, and then after a brief period (60 days with a tourist visa), fly out. They don't show up at the border with multiple, back-to-back issued, tourist visas.

Edited by Gumballl

So why did I pay 75 quid for a triple entry tourist visa in London?

I can not even use it!

I don't know... why did you??

Was it to stay for 6 months in Thailand, with only a day's worth of time exiting the country on two separate occasions?

This might give the Immigration Officer the impression that you are actually 'living' in Thailand, not just visiting as a tourist.

Your safest bet is to fly in, fly out, and repeat such. When you are out of Thailand, consider staying out for more than a mere day.

• Like 1

why cant you get triple entry tourist visas every year?. that will get you almost 270 days per year

Thank you for your reply. I guess that might be an option. I do not know if the consulate back home issues triple-tourist visas, but I will see if I can find some information. I guess it was the "Tourists stay for 30 days" comment that shook me up and got me off balance for a bit. Probably should not have posted my post, but I thank you for your helpful reply smile.png

Edited by Kalle777

So far in the past few months there was a crackdown of varying degrees on the following:

• tourist visas
  • NON-ED visas
  • medical extensions

For the love of God I can't understand why people with multi entry NON-Os happily cheer the crackdown. Those visas are clearly not intended for permanent stay (that's what 1-year extensions for) and this is why you have to do a border run every 90 days. You are abusing the system in the same way people on back to back tourist visas did, especially if you use the multi NON-O visa to circumvent the requirement of having funds in the Thai bank.

You are way off track with your statements on Non Imm Multi-Entry 'O' Visas. Thai immigration authorities - at every crossing facilitate the use of my Non 'O' as it is allowed by the Thai Border Police IOs ...( at least so far). Using the the Non Imm Multi 'O' for going and coming in and out of Thailand is not an abuse in any way. It is perfectly legal and allowed by the Immigration Authorities ... In fact the Consul General who issued me my Non Imm Multi 'O' made it very clear that touring the countries around Thailand using my visa was one justifiable reason for granting it.

Also - there has been NO objection by Thai Immigration Authorities for using the Non Imm Multi 'O' for a quick turn around border run .. in fact they facilitate it and it is done with a smile most times. Saying that it is an abuse to use a visa in a manner totally approved, allowed and facilitated - and done knowingly by Thai Immigration Authorities for many years and is done currently --- is patently absurd.

'Permanent stay'... we are leaving at least every 90 days. Nothing permanent about that.

Things may change in the future as it has for Exemptions and Extensions ... and those who possess a Non Imm Multi 'O' visa will have to take another route ... convert to an Extension of Stay. Which by the way I can do at any time if I wanted to.

To not being able to see the link between TR visa abuse and multi non-O visa abuse is not only absurd, it's just bizarre.

It's just the same situation in so many ways.

For years it was allowed and perfectly legal to stay in thailand using back to back TR visas. Border immigration officer were stamping your passport with a smile too. This way of staying in Thailand was approved, allowed and facilitated, and done knowingly by thai immigration authorities for many years.

Some consulate started last few years to be reluctant to give TR visas to some serial tourists and now they are just refusing entry to such visa holders in some border points, because they were ABUSING the system (according to them).

Just as most consulate in SE asia will tell you that non-0 multiple is not available, they will give you the 3 month single entry and advise you to do an extension at the local immigration office. Why would they do that? Because they know that those multiple entry are ABUSED, i.e. not used the way they were designed to be.

For some reason, if you are married with a Thai and want to live with your spouse, immigration wants to know everything about your life, pictures, plans to your house, witnesses etc... Why would someone living near the border would be able to avoid all of that nonsense thanks to his multiple entry visa just by hoping in and out of the country a few times a year?

Well it is very possible that in a near future, non-O multiple entry visa holder who are clearly living in Thailand will be asked to convert to an extension of stay so that they stop ABUSING the system.

• tourist visas
  • NON-ED visas
  • medical extensions

To not being able to see the link between TR visa abuse and multi non-O visa abuse is not only absurd, it's just bizarre.

It's just the same situation in so many ways.

For years it was allowed and perfectly legal to stay in thailand using back to back TR visas. Border immigration officer were stamping your passport with a smile too. This way of staying in Thailand was approved, allowed and facilitated, and done knowingly by thai immigration authorities for many years.

Some consulate started last few years to be reluctant to give TR visas to some serial tourists and now they are just refusing entry to such visa holders in some border points, because they were ABUSING the system (according to them).

Just as most consulate in SE asia will tell you that non-0 multiple is not available, they will give you the 3 month single entry and advise you to do an extension at the local immigration office. Why would they do that? Because they know that those multiple entry are ABUSED, i.e. not used the way they were designed to be.

For some reason, if you are married with a Thai and want to live with your spouse, immigration wants to know everything about your life, pictures, plans to your house, witnesses etc... Why would someone living near the border would be able to avoid all of that nonsense thanks to his multiple entry visa just by hoping in and out of the country a few times a year?

Well it is very possible that in a near future, non-O multiple entry visa holder who are clearly living in Thailand will be asked to convert to an extension of stay so that they stop ABUSING the system.

I have yet to see one documented case of a refusal for a second or third entry on a tourist visa

So you think it is ok to live somewhere on tourist visa?

But even more importantly, you can stay here if you want but chose not to do so, leaving your girlfriend and kid alone just because the visa rules inconvenience you? Sounds like a sound relationship.

I agree.

Stop whining if you want to live here, marry the girl (it is only a 30 Baht piece of paper) - there is no such thing as a retirement visa before age 50 (unless you want to buy a 'hookey' one before they clamp down on that.)

Edited by Jip99

Option 3) Live with the GF in Cambodia, PI, Laos, Vietnam or one of the other 200 some countries in the world that will welcome you & is not called Thaitanic, er, Thailand.

If you honestly believe that yourself and your GF will be welcome in Laos or Vietnam longterm, I wish you every success with that. That leaves Cambodia and the PI - I'll leave it to those who've actually lived in those countries to comment further on the transition. The idea that you can just pack a suitcase and be transported to the Thailand of 30 years ago is undeniably attractive - I just wonder how many of us are ready for the downside of that fantasy.

Why wouldn't he and his gf be welcome in Laos? Please explain MrWorldwide.