Efforts to reorganize footpath areas in Bangkok continue

webfact

Efforts to reorganize pavement areas in Bangkok continue

BANGKOK, 14 July 2014, (NNT) - Vendors in Klong Lord have complied with the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)’s recent policy to reorganize sidewalks in the capital, by refraining from setting stalls in the prohibited areas. However, the new codes have been ignored by street sellers around the Jatujak weekend market.

Vendors in the Jatujak weekend market’s vicinity reportedly continue setting their stalls on the footpaths in the area, forcing pedestrians to walk on the road, despite the NCPO's order.

According to reports, the majority of the pedestrians agree with the NCPO’s policies to reorganize the pavement areas, returning the walkways to the residents. They said vendors should operate in allocated areas only and pavement should only be used by pedestrians.

Meanwhile, only one authorized street vendor can be seen in Klong Lord, the area behind the Supreme Court on Ratchadamnoen Road, after the NCPO’s policy has been implemented.

The locals said the new regulations have created a better environment for all. However, officials should find some areas nearby for vendors to set up their stalls as the areas set aside at present are too far.

Currently, vendors from Klong Lord are allowed to set up their stalls at Jatujak 2 and Sanam Luang 2, the areas in front of Bon Marche and Ratchaburana markets.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-14 footer_n.gif

"Vendors... continue setting their stalls on the footpaths in the area, forcing pedestrians to walk on the road,"

I'll be glad to see an end to this practice.

... and at the same time, somehow it will be sad to see it ended. I'll miss all that chaos.

• Like 1

All those roadside sellers are the black economy of Thailand, there are millions of them

out there making well above the minimum wage and doesn't one baht in tax,

I'm thinking if they could collect tax out of those vendors they give the rice farmers more

money and perhaps buy a submarine or 2.....

• Like 1

This won't change anything , maybe just for a month and than back to square one, too many people involved here on this business. From police to politicians to local gangs, all get a regular cut and they are in the business for last few decades, it won't be that easy.

I'm sure the city would look great and people can really walk on footpath rather forced to walk on the street cause if these vendors but like I said " soon they will be back to square one"

I'm thinking if they could collect tax out of those vendors they give the rice farmers more money and perhaps buy a submarine or 2.....

If they didn't pay a tax to someone, how do you think they dole out the good spots without using guns and knives every day?

The vendors pay a tax. It just doesn't go into the state coffers.

• Like 1

All these band aids whether getting the vendors off sidewalks, getting tough on traffic, motor taxi mafia etc etc are just treating the symptoms but not addressing the cause. Nice as it gives the people some feel good moments but as soon as the junta release grib, all the woes will return. Police force is simply under-paid and are easy targets for bribes.Reason why Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan polceman are unbrideable as they are paid highest in the world.

• Like 1

I know this is a bit off topic, but I will believe the General is serious when he realises that Thailand is a lot more than Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya, and gets the army and police moved upcountry and does something to stop the dreadful road fatalities, starting with getting unlicenced drivers off the road along with confiscating the motorcycles of parents who give their keys to their ten year old kids.

• Like 1

All these "crackdowns" are all well and good, as long as they last, but I can't help but wonder what would happen if the Junta really cracked down on one of Thailand's biggest and most well known "illegal" activities of prostitution? Rioting in the streets perhaps? lol

All these band aids whether getting the vendors off sidewalks, getting tough on traffic, motor taxi mafia etc etc are just treating the symptoms but not addressing the cause. Nice as it gives the people some feel good moments but as soon as the junta release grib, all the woes will return. Police force is simply under-paid and are easy targets for bribes.Reason why Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan polceman are unbrideable as they are paid highest in the world.

I lived in Japan for almost 15 years. I can categorically state Japanese police are some of the MOST corrupt police I have ever had the misfortune to come across, despite being some of the most highly paid in the world.

I'm thinking if they could collect tax out of those vendors they give the rice farmers more money and perhaps buy a submarine or 2.....

If they didn't pay a tax to someone, how do you think they dole out the good spots without using guns and knives every day?

The vendors pay a tax. It just doesn't go into the state coffers.

The same with the sex shops and gambling dens, et alia. If a business can't pay taxes (because that business if illegal) then they pay the police.

Crazy Eric can never say anything good about those who are not red, you are so negative about everything these days. Boo hoo. Let's enjoy the common sense and order as long as it lasts, let's hope for the best and that this is the start of something good.

Crazy Eric can never say anything good about those who are not red, you are so negative about everything these days. Boo hoo. Let's enjoy the common sense and order as long as it lasts, let's hope for the best and that this is the start of something good.

Now, now, don't be hasty, my dear 'too crazy'. Eric just wants to tell us that he's really in favour of the NCPO NOT releasing it's grip any time soon thumbsup.gif

Perhaps my reasoning is not meant for simple minded people who can't grasp the concept.

Now, now, don't be hasty, my dear 'too crazy'. Eric just wants to tell us that he's really in favour of the NCPO NOT releasing it's grip any time soon thumbsup.gif

Dear friend, at least you do understand me. Yes, the woes must be continously "gripped" but not necessary by the junta. Tough efforts must be continue even after the junta depart. That's part of the cause that need to be addressed besides re-structuring the wages. The junta should take this opportunity when they have everyone attention to re-write rules and policies with enough deterrents on offenders so that all these woes will not appear again. Is that so crazy?

Perhaps my reasoning is not meant for simple minded people who can't grasp the concept.

Nurses are underpaid, do they resort to (backhander money) giving better treatment to the sick ???

Why are you knocking the army ??? 6 weeks into the clean up job and you are relentless, again I add I never saw you knocking the 3 years of inaction when PTP were on the scene. You just do not come across as being a fair minded person.

Who on earth gave you a pro PTP stance, and a anti protest/army rhetoric. " Where is your simple minded reasoning"---this is a Quote by you.

Do you honestly think that paying the police a bigger wage will stop what they are doing ??? it is in built with their so called franchise they run.

Money is not the key here, when a young man has to be connected to get in the force, OR he has to pay 1-or 200,000 to join. Why would he have to do that ??? after all this force was until recently headed by the Thaksin clan, this is why it is run this way.

As with all persons in responsible jobs, very heavy fines/sentences should be dealt out to offenders.

These street venders should have designated areas to trade, and pay a fee to the local authorities. NOT the police.

Edited by ginjag