Hilux, petrol or diesel?

krisb

Hi all, since so many drive Hilux's in Thailand, thought here's a perfect place to ask a couple of question's regarding them.

I want to buy a 2nd hand Hilux sr5, probably something around 2005, 06 model.

Just not sure what would be the better choice engine wise, petrol with the big 4 litre engine, or the smaller diesel turbo engine?

I have never had a diesel car before.

Any thought's on this and anything to do with these models of Hilux welcomed thanks!

Didn't know petrol engines were available in pickups in Thailand.

Have been for many years... 05/06 Toyota petrol engine is 2.7 lt on the side you will see VVT-i........ same in many Mini Buses and most have GAS [LPG or CNG]

Brand new one appear to factory fitted with CNG in the showrooms

Have been for many years... 05/06 Toyota petrol engine is 2.7 lt on the side you will see VVT-i........ same in many Mini Buses and most have GAS [LPG or CNG]

Petrol available in all pickups or just Toyotas?

Edited by giddyup

I bought a Vigo diesel and later drove a 2.7 petrol version I prefered the petrol, so it's a personal choice really.

Maybe another topic but my main problem here with trucks is I like front wheel drive vehicles so it's that or 4wd.

• Like 1

A diesel will be more reliable...and you'll get better fuel mileage. Plus the govt seems to make extra effort to keep the diesel price/liter low...no such attempt on petrol/gasoline.

But with a petrol vehicle, which will probably be a 2.7L engine, you can convert it to LPG/NVG if desired; can't do that with a diesel engine. I have a 2009 Fortuner 3.0L diesel and been very happy with the engine performance, reliability, fuel mileage, etc.

A diesel will be more reliable...and you'll get better fuel mileage. Plus the govt seems to make extra effort to keep the diesel price/liter low...no such attempt on petrol/gasoline.

But with a petrol vehicle, which will probably be a 2.7L engine, you can convert it to LPG/NVG if desired; can't do that with a diesel engine. I have a 2009 Fortuner 3.0L diesel and been very happy with the engine performance, reliability, fuel mileage, etc.

How do all those big trucks run with the big gas cylinders behind the cab?

• Like 1

Those are usually CNG/NVG...maybe LPG also. I've clearly seen numerous ones marked CNG/NVG. Expect they are running regular petrol engines but "always" run CNG/LPG for cost savings except when they run out and the switch to a reserve tank of petrol until they can refill with CNG/LPG.

Edited by Pib

Petrol available in all pickups or just Toyotas?

Most of them, but lots of brand new models out so guess the Petrol CNG/NVG models will come along shortly..

Triton can buy with petrol or/and CNG from showroom, or LPG they will fit the spare tyre in the back bed and fit 3x LPG tanks under the back bed in workshop..

Lots of TATA's about they have 2 CNG tanks fitted built in + with option of 3rd in back bed..

Guy in the Village has a Ford Ranger petrol with CNG [not the newest model] no idea if this was factory or fitted after

Myself don't like gas in a car or pickup, but love the diesel's never had any problems in 3x D-Max or present BT50, sell around 400,000 KM, just over 250,000 KM in the Mazda so far. [change the oil and filters every other month and always have in 11 years of trouble free motoring]

Diesel engines for heavy trucks and busses can also be converted and can be dedicated with the addition of new heads containing spark ignition systems, or can be run on a blend of diesel and natural gas, with the primary fuel being natural gas and a small amount of diesel fuel being used as an ignition source.

They seem to run on a blend or at least on some diesel fuel, otherwise they run on CNG (LGV).

As far as I know, there are no big trucks on LPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas_vehicle

Edited by KhunBENQ

A diesel engine can be converted to CNG.

But also to using a mix of diesel en LPG.

I would always choose LPG.

Low pressure tanks and pipework.

CNG high pressure tank and pipework.

I like my diesel - nd the subsidized fuel. But my brother-in-law, who drives high miles, bught the petrol version (2.7L) and converted it ti LPG. He loves it and it is very cheap to drive.

If I were buying a new truck, I think I would take the diesel if I did not drive much and the petrol version (converted to LPG) if i was driving all over the country on a regular basis.

On paper the Thai 2.7 petrol is a slug. We don't have the 4 lt jobby here so can't comment.

Maybe in the heavy Fortuner, but not in the pickup truck. I had the TOT boys in my place installing some line and I had a spin in one their orange trucks. Its no slug.

• Like 1

Diesel, I bought one new in July 2007 not a single hick up in all those years.

Great torque and power and a well balanced engine.

I'm looking to replace it soon, so if you are interested, pm me I'll give you all the details.

A diesel engine can be converted to CNG.

But also to using a mix of diesel en LPG.

I would always choose LPG.

Low pressure tanks and pipework.

CNG high pressure tank and pipework.

Yes diesel engines can be converted but read these...

http://www.omnitekcorp.com/engconvert.htm

http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/diesel.html

diesel engines came out converted to run 80% CNG mix on the Chevy Pickup think was about 2008 here....... Problem with engine within a few months and all in Thailand had to be replaced as they did not work...

Big truck companies also had a problems, 100's of trucks here had to go off the road with engine problems, as the only way for them to run was a major engine rebuild for the conversion. some older truck just were not worth doing so over time were replaced with newer truck so the conversion was worth while..

So appears if you must have LPG/CNG or NGV then buy petrol, still not convinced with the ever rising cost of Gas and Petrol there is any savings over a good long lasting Diesel engines.

Running round town small loads short trips.

Petrol. Petrol LPG.

Long trips. light loads. Petrol again.

Working your truck. 4wd. decent loads. long trips. Economy.

Diesel.

The proven manufacturers vehicles are both reliable, and good for 400k if serviced and not flogged.

OH. AND ANYTHING rather than a gutless Toyota.

They only have the "reliability" label because they so detuned and gutless.

You couldn't flog one if you tried.

A bit like Coca Cola.. Great advertising.

Plus coke has "detuned" cok(ain)e in the mix. 4.2% i believe.

IE addictive.

Petrol. Petrol LPG.

Diesel.

The proven manufacturers vehicles are both reliable, and good for 400k if serviced and not flogged.

IE addictive.

So if I drink Coke Zero - should I drive a Ford? lol

• Like 1

On paper the Thai 2.7 petrol is a slug. We don't have the 4 lt jobby here so can't comment.

Maybe in the heavy Fortuner, but not in the pickup truck. I had the TOT boys in my place installing some line and I had a spin in one their orange trucks. Its no slug.

It seems they have upped the HP on the late petrol 2.7. My quote was based on 140+HP (around that), it is now 160hp. So the older 2.7 will be low hp.

PS. The Aus 4.0 V6 petrol is 230+HP. thumbsup.gif

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

Petrol. Petrol LPG.

Diesel.

IE addictive.

Up to you, but I drink Coke Classic :)

Petrol. Petrol LPG.

Diesel.

IE addictive.

Well, most people did buy Fords back when Coke still had some coke in it (1929) ;)