CB 300f

Nebula

Sorry mate , 10,000 KM is lower than normal . Most last longer than that , and some are still going well at 30K . Its still subject of debate ( some quite passionate ) , as to what the fault / faults are . The camchain simply drives the camshaft from the crankshaft . It COULD be poor quality chains and other engine components ( we dont know who makes them ) that wear , depositing fragments of swarf metal into the oil , which is circulated around , causing further damage to all the internals , and then the gearbox . The wear , and swarf ( IF this is the cause - nobody seems to come up with anything that pinpoints the weakness ) MAY be accelerated by the camchain tensioner not adjusting correctly ( a known weak point ) . At just 10 K , Honda should be honouring the warranty with a complete engine and gearbox , and thats what i would be demanding , but i guess there sick of repairing them . Yes Allen , its all a "bit worrying" , but its no use moaning to me , im only trying to help . As to the cause / causes , well , we havent been told , have we .

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes , the 470 cc 500,s are better . They had a problem with a camshaft / cover bolt falling out , depositing the engine oil over the rear tire . If you spotted it in time , and didnt fall off , it is an easy fix - under warranty ! . if you want another 250 or 300 bike , have a look at the Kawasaki SL and Ninja models , and the Benelli TNT 25 (250cc ) single and the Benelli TNT 300 twin . Both very good bikes , and well priced . Theres not many bikes between 300cc and 650cc . If you want bigger than 300 , then i would go for the Kawasaki 650 .

There are 3 different models of "500" . One is more adventure type . Looks OK . Second hand prices for Hondas can often be low , as people experience similar problems as yourself , and bikes from other companies appear better value , and far more stylish . All these types of bikes are easily serviced , if thats a concern . I take it youve lost faith in the Honda 300 . Good luck .

I had the notorious tank rattle starting about 4,000 rpm, and fixed it by cutting 2mm off the bottom of the sleeve through which the bolt holding the tank to the frame runs. See photo.

Full disclosure: I got this idea from the CB 300 F Club Facebook page. It's in Thai but offers lots of good info on this bike.

post-90174-0-91282200-1444489428_thumb.p

• 1 month later...

No it wont damage your engine only your pocket.. The CB 300 can run on most fuels . If you think it runs better carry on fuels cheap anyway..

But the question was also for me to know if it's better or not for the engine parts life ?

thank you

The benzine 95 vPower from shell cleans my engine while I ride.

Other "lesser" fuels won't do that.

Source: TV advertising from shell

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

At least in Bangkok, Shell doesn't sell benzine. The 95V-power is gasohol.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, as some of you may know from the CBR 250 forum, I had a stroke 2 years ago and it knocked me for a loop. Had to sell the CBR. It's taken some work and effort, but my game is getting back. Last Friday I said "Screw it" and bought a new CB300f. A little tricky riding in city traffic, but once I got out of the city, it was almost like old times. Been riding a little every day to get the feel of things again, and I definitely like the CB300 over my CBR250. Lighter in weight, higher handlebars, and a more comfortable ride. Next week I'm doing the Chiang Mai to Lampang run. Probably not as fast as I used to, but what the heck. Should still be fun. And maybe after the first of the year, plan my first 4-6 day road trip again. Also got a new, much better helmet, and some more gear for my kit. Let's hope you don't read about me as a statistic. lol

Just1Voice , great too hear your on the road to recovery ( and Lampang ! ) . Something for us all to consider perhaps , you never know whats around the corner , in life and on the road. Seasons greetings to everyone.

Thanks, jeff, but you're right, you never know what's around the corner. I had just finished a 3 day road trip, was sitting out on the patio with wife and friends, went to stand up, and that was it. Fortunately, my friend recognized what was happening and they rushed me to the hospital, but it still took over 6 months before I could even feel my legs again. And I'm a guy who lives a healthy lifestyle. Don't drink, no drugs, watch what I eat, and exercise regularly. But strokes aren't particular about that. lol.

Just1Voice , great too hear your on the road to recovery ( and Lampang ! ) . Something for us all to consider perhaps , you never know whats around the corner , in life and on the road. Seasons greetings to everyone.

Thanks, jeff, but you're right, you never know what's around the corner. I had just finished a 3 day road trip, was sitting out on the patio with wife and friends, went to stand up, and that was it. Fortunately, my friend recognized what was happening and they rushed me to the hospital, but it still took over 6 months before I could even feel my legs again. And I'm a guy who lives a healthy lifestyle. Don't drink, no drugs, watch what I eat, and exercise regularly. But strokes aren't particular about that. lol.

Glad to hear your back at it thumbsup.gif

That is a very scary scenario you just described!

Good Luck & Enjoy your new ride wink.png

Okay, an update, sort of. Did the Chiang Mai to Lampang and back trip today on the new bike. Comparisons: The higher handlebars provide a more comfortable riding position than the 250 CBR. The seat is also more comfortable. Better fuel consumption. Much smoother ride overall.

Okay, I guess I'll keep it. Oh, already planning my next serious trip to Udon Thani and back after the holiday madness slows down.

• 2 months later...

I had the notorious tank rattle starting about 4,000 rpm, and fixed it by cutting 2mm off the bottom of the sleeve through which the bolt holding the tank to the frame runs. See photo.

Full disclosure: I got this idea from the CB 300 F Club Facebook page. It's in Thai but offers lots of good info on this bike.

How did you diagnose this? I have a very annoying buzz/rattle that has started at around 6000rmp. It's killing me trying to push and prod things trying to find out where it's coming from at the speed it starts, doesn't matter what gear, around 6000rpm it kicks in and it's loud, or relatively so.

How did you diagnose this? I have a very annoying buzz/rattle that has started at around 6000rmp. It's killing me trying to push and prod things trying to find out where it's coming from at the speed it starts, doesn't matter what gear, around 6000rpm it kicks in and it's loud, or relatively so.

If you haven't tried yet put your hand on the fuel filler cap when you get the noise.

If you haven't tried yet put your hand on the fuel filler cap when you get the noise.

Tried it last night, not from there unfortunately, any other ideas?

Tried it last night, not from there unfortunately, any other ideas?

Mine also had a split rubber bush for the front mounting point on the fuel tank. Diagnosed by a Honda mechanic sent out from Bangkok. Couldn't pin the source of the noise down myself. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Went looking for an MT-03 and ended up finding a great deal on one of these. Went with the new yellow color they've released. It was great getting through the traffic in Bangkok, and I'm sure it will be a ton of fun in the mountains.

I used to own a Ninja 300 - adored that bike and it was great in the mountains, but I like how the powerband on this one is a bit more even. You really have to rev the Ninjettes to get them going.

I'm going to grab a tank guard, adjustable levers, new mirrors, and swap out the exhaust.

I used to own a Ninja 300 - adored that bike and it was great in the mountains, but I like how the powerband on this one is a bit more even. You really have to rev the Ninjettes to get them going.

I'm going to grab a tank guard, adjustable levers, new mirrors, and swap out the exhaust.

I had a Ninja 650 back in the States for 8 years. Spent 4 years living on it while hitting every state in the Continental U.S. Loved that bike. But came here, saw the way the idiots drive, and decided a 650 wasn't needed here, or advisable. Before my current CB300, I had a CBR250. Great bike. But, yeah, I like this one better.