Traffic goes smooth on first day of the D Day against traffic violation

Lite Beer

Traffic goes smooth on first day of the D Day against traffic violation

7-17-2014-1-20-30-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Traffic police today reported smoother traffic flows on most intersections in the capital during the morning rush hours as thousands of police were deployed to monitor the behaviour of motorists.

Bangkok’s 90 intersections normally congested and filled with vehicles defying traffic laws just wanting to go first while ignoring other law abiding motorists, were not seen today. They drove in orderly columns, and followed one another while approaching traffic lights at intersections.

According to police statistics, the number one offenders of traffic laws are drivers who cut across lanes especially at merging points and these drivers will be given the highest amount of attention.

Traffic police commander Pol Maj-Gen Jirasan Kaeosang-ek said traffic flow this morning was smooth with few violators.

He said police made 15 arrests on Ratchayothin intersection, mostly motorcyclists for encroaching over the stop line at intersection. Arrest was also made on motorists who changed lanes abruptly while approaching signal lights at intersections.

Under today’s D Day, the ‘5 Joms’ or five top offenders will be the focus of police attention in the campaign. They are drivers who dangerously cut across lanes and adjacent traffic at the foot of flyovers, or intersections, drivers who fail to bring their vehicles to a dead stop at the prescribed distance from traffic light lines, drivers who block off traffic flow by parking at non-parking areas, drivers who violate one way traffic and drivers with fake licence plates.

According to police statistics, the number one offenders of traffic laws are drivers who cut across lanes especially at merging points and these drivers will be given the highest amount of attention.

The traffic commander said traffic flow improved 60% in general at most intersections while on Yaek Phaholyothin up to 80% of traffic jam was solved.

He said the police would assess the result of this morning’s campaign this afternoon for improved supervision the following days.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/traffic-goes-smooth-first-day-d-day-traffic-violation/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=traffic-goes-smooth-first-day-d-day-traffic-violation

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-17

My 5 road intersection was a disaster. Along Viphawadee where the intersection goes over the train tracks.

Before all the scooters would move freely (and illegally) and it would be smooth. Today they weren't allowed and the whole thing was completely choked up.

Too many people in too many vehicles, too little roads. That's the problem.

Edited by Deacon Bell
  • Like 1

Asoke at 830-9 was <deleted> as usual. There were a couple of guys pulling over motorbikes who turned illegally I gather (inside lane on a two lane turn) which of course stopped all the traffic behind them while they blocked the road to make the stop...

However, I noticed a lot less traffic on Rama 3 today...I don't attribute this to anything but less cars on the road. Maybe people were worried about D day and left their cars at home?

Erm.....

Merging points, you have no choice but to cut across lanes, or you can't merge can you?

But that aside, all it takes is a little application of the law.

I think the authorities are actually starting to learn... slowly, but learning all the same.

Asoke at 830-9 was <deleted> as usual. There were a couple of guys pulling over motorbikes who turned illegally I gather (inside lane on a two lane turn) which of course stopped all the traffic behind them while they blocked the road to make the stop...

However, I noticed a lot less traffic on Rama 3 today...I don't attribute this to anything but less cars on the road. Maybe people were worried about D day and left their cars at home?

How do you ever get the idea to drive around these districts....your traveling times must be counted in hours?

How do you ever get the idea to drive around these districts....your traveling times must be counted in hours?

Normally not my route of choice - had a meeting at 930 up Soi 23 way so had to grin and bear it.

"He said police made 15 arrests on Ratchayothin intersection, mostly motorcyclists for encroaching over the stop line at intersection. Arrest was also made on motorists who changed lanes abruptly while approaching signal lights at intersections."

Wow. This seems a little harsh. I agree that something must be done in Thailand against traffic violations but arrest people for these violations seems to me a little extreme. What if you have an accident and you are at fault. What do they do to you? Shoot you on the spot?

• Like 1

Normally not my route of choice - had a meeting at 930 up Soi 23 way so had to grin and bear it.

ok if its unavoidable, i just refuse to drive anywhere in the city, fact is i just dont have the time, walking would be faster than a car,

But i do clock up an amazing amount of km in the city by motorbike, for me its the only choice,

The biggest culprit in my option are the cars that do a right hand turns from narrow main roads into

small sois, drive ways and parking area with impunity, forcing the traffic behind them to merge to

a single file and forcing the on coming traffic to stop and give way, not to mention those cars

who try to cross busy main road from a small soi to the one opposite, just to name a few...

The biggest culprit in my option are the cars that do a right hand turns from narrow main roads into

small sois, drive ways and parking area with impunity, forcing the traffic behind them to merge to

a single file and forcing the on coming traffic to stop and give way, not to mention those cars

who try to cross busy main road from a small soi to the one opposite, just to name a few...

That is not traffic violation though, that is just an issue of lots of cars going lots of places and an impatient driver!(you)smile.png

I live on Ekamai. While heading towards Sukhumvit if you want to turn into the Ekamai Major parking lot you had better check your mirrors as drivers pull out into the oncoming 2 lanes and race 1/2 km to catch the lights at Sukhumvit. Things like this just Pi$$es me off. There is a Police box at the intersection but never see a car get pulled over. Up the road a bit they will be pulling over motorcycles in droves.

Regardless of the incessant propaganda things don't change overnight. Claim want they want but I say little or no change in my journey from the north of the city into the center and the return. Same irresponsible chaos as any other day.

"He said police made 15 arrests on Ratchayothin intersection, mostly motorcyclists for encroaching over the stop line at intersection. Arrest was also made on motorists who changed lanes abruptly while approaching signal lights at intersections."

Wow. This seems a little harsh. I agree that something must be done in Thailand against traffic violations but arrest people for these violations seems to me a little extreme. What if you have an accident and you are at fault. What do they do to you? Shoot you on the spot?

"Shoot you on the spot"? Bizarre to say the least.

Only 90 intersections in all of Bangkok? There is your reason for traffic right there. Its the root of every single problem, even motorcycles driving in sidewalks. There aren't enough roads. Number of cars is not too high.

-*I typed this myself*-

" thousands of police were deployed to monitor the behaviour of motorists" and 15 arrests for trivial violations. I could think of better use of thousands of police officers but hey-ho. I guess the intent is there but implementation a bit lacking. This is a waste of time and money really as the problem is deeper, lack of proper driving tuition at the outset is one cause. Lack of spatial (and spacial) awareness another huge donor to the lackadaisical driving skills. Still, Thailand is a million miles in front of India and a universe in front of Bangladesh when it comes to driving standards