Hua Hin as model for traffic management in the provinces

Lite Beer

Hua Hin as model for traffic management in the provinces

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN, 18 July 2014 (NNT) - The Assistant Commissioner of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Lt. Gen. Ruengsak Charit-ek, visited the area in front of Chatchai market on Petchakasem Road in Hua Hin to observe the traffic monitoring activities and make sure motorists are driving in accordance the 5 Jom campaign.

The campaign calls to arrest those who do not conform to five common traffic rules. Mr. Ruengsak said that Hua Hin is the first province outside Bangkok where this program is being utilized and is under the responsibility of Metropolitan Police Bureau, which has started launching a campaign and hopes to be the model for other provinces.

Hua Hin was selected to be part of the trial campaign also because it is an important province for tourists who come from Thailand as well as international tourists. Highway Police and Tourist Police will also cooperate to assist with the campaign with the hope that it will help ease the traffic problems and accidents.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-18 footer_n.gif

hello,

bin then, Hua Hin, a model traffic?

If I like Hua Hin, the traffic is hell, especially during peak hours between 7 am and 9 am, and from 16 am until 19/20 pm in the evening.

In addition, pedestrians are in great danger, especially when you see that there are no red lights in front of the big supermarkets like Market Village, for example.

• Like 1

hello,
If I like Hua Hin, the traffic is hell, especially during peak hours between 7 am and 9 am, and from 16 am until 19/20 pm in the evening.
In addition, pedestrians are in great danger, especially when you see that there are no red lights in front of the big supermarkets like Market Village, for example.

As a recent settler to Hua Hin I noticed the traffic on Petchkasem Rd. is hell pretty much all day from 7 in the morning to 7 at night, not just peak times. I scratch my head at why there is only one pedestrian overpass between the centre of town and the rail flyover (3.5 - 4 kms further south). As for the Market Village precinct, they now have traffic officers on Petchkasem Rd. to allow pedestrians to cross.

• Like 1

Traffic in Hua Hin is indeed very bad in terms of congestion. One reason why I always stay within walking distance of the centre.

But to be fair, I think it's mostly just too many cars for too few and too small streets. The only "management" that can help is to pedestrianise the centre and have adequate parking for cars on its periphery. It's done in a lot of small seaside tourist towns in, for example, Cornwall, England. Those that aren't pedestrianised suffer from chronic traffic overcrowding.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

U-turn at about every 100m is the model?

Thai traffic planners are stuck in the U-Turn mindset. Even when they built the new and very wide road near the airport, where Thai Airways has its HQ and all the catering companies have their kitchens located, where they had plenty of room to set up proper intersections , they still had to go make a stupid u-turn bridge.

If they had lights with proper turn lanes, Thailand's cities would not be the mess they are now in terms of traffic. Stone-age thinking. Civil engineers here should have to study the way its done in the U.S., Japan, Australia and Europe.

• Like 1

bonjour,
Ben alors, Hua Hin, un trafic de modèle?
Si j'aime Hua Hin, le trafic est l'enfer, surtout pendant les heures de pointe 7 heures-9 heures, et de 16 h à 19/20 heures le soir.
En outre, les piétons sont en grand danger, surtout quand on voit qu'il n'y a pas de feux rouges devant les grands supermarchés comme Market Village, par exemple.

Comme un colon récente à Hua Hin, j'ai remarqué le trafic sur Petchkasem Rd. c'est l'enfer à peu près tous les jours de 7 heures du matin à 7 la nuit, et pas seulement les périodes de pointe. Je me gratte la tête à la raison pour laquelle il ya une seule passerelle pour piétons entre le centre de la ville et le pont de chemin de fer (3,5 à 4 kms plus au sud). Quant à l'enceinte Market Village, ils ont maintenant des agents de la circulation sur Petchkasem Rd. pour permettre aux piétons de traverser.

I lived for several years in HH and close to Market Village, there are no police in the morning rush hour, one finds more regularly outside schools to 16 pm, but that does not mean say all day.

I would be satisfied if they would stop bikes and cars/pickups travelling the wrong way, that is travelling in the opposite direction on the shoulder of the road to avoid travelling long distances to do u-turns etc - I was nearly collected by a pickup this morning as I turned into Makro and he had the audacity to shake his fist at me as though I was in the 'wrong'...... he wasn't going slowly either!!!!

"Ruengsak Charit-ek, visited the area in front of Chatchai market on Petchakasem Road in Hua Hin to observe the traffic" like every week end the traffic was paralysed, so, he only could observe cars driving very slowly.

The BiBs should be policing the pedestrian operated traffic crossing outside the Bangkok Hospital and see just how many motorists fail to stop at the red lights or drive through when they think no pedestrians are crossing.....too lazy to wait 30 seconds. Then nail the drivers coming down the right turn lane on approach to the main traffic signals in order to jump the queue going straight ahead.

The main reason for traffic congestions in HH is that there are built a lot of big condomium houses in Khao Takiab and nobody improved the infrastructure accordingly. What HH needs urgently is a high capacity city bypass with different roads linking to the city. Anything else is just cosmetics.

The main reason for traffic congestions in HH is that there are built a lot of big condomium houses in Khao Takiab and nobody improved the infrastructure accordingly. What HH needs urgently is a high capacity city bypass with different roads linking to the city. Anything else is just cosmetics.

Khao Takiab is (still) ok, I didn't think traffic was all that bad. But I don't live in Hua Hin and was there only for one week. I liked the song theo system though. Hua Hin was good for me I'll visit again.

Considering the highway traffic by-passes Hua Hin town, they've managed to maximize traffic congestion with a minimum amount of vehicles. It's a model alright, to make your village seem like as big city with traffic jams and all... facepalm.gif

It sounds like a song...

"Hua Hin as model for traffic management in the provinces"

And the words go something like this...

I started a joke... which started the whole world crying

But I didn't see that the joke was on me oh no

I started to cry... which started the whole world laughing
Oh If I'd only seen that the joke was on me

I looked at the skies running my hands over my eyes
And I fell out of bed hurting my head from things that I said

'Till I finally died which started the whole world living

I looked at the skies... running my hands over my eyes
And I fell out of bed hurting my head from things that I said

'Till I finally died which started the whole world living

Oh no that the joke was on me

Edited by cup-O-coffee

hello,

As a recent settler to Hua Hin I noticed the traffic on Petchkasem Rd. is hell pretty much all day from 7 in the morning to 7 at night, not just peak times. I scratch my head at why there is only one pedestrian overpass between the centre of town and the rail flyover (3.5 - 4 kms further south). As for the Market Village precinct, they now have traffic officers on Petchkasem Rd. to allow pedestrians to cross.

Getting across Petchkasem at virtually any time of day requires the nerves of a stunt artist and the acceleration of Usain Bolt. To call that exemplary traffic management is a scandal.

They also tried recently to install a one-way system in HH - they had to give it up within a few hours because they implemented it so badly. Utter joke.

A good solution (also very easy and fast to be realized) should be to build two pay toll stations, one on Route 4 after the intersection who lead to Cha-Am/Hua-Hin, and the other one after Pranburi on the same intersection who lead to Hua-Hin/Cha.Am.

This to make people driving on Route 4 from Bkk to south or viceversa do not enter Hua Hin if they don't need... a fee of 100 thb could be enough to convince people to skip the city, or at least will makes money to be invested into traffic/circulation matter.

But is a kind of dream because they will not think at this as a solution, but ust as a loose of money for locals business

wai2.gif

C'est le premier message que j'ai jamais écrit: Beaucoup de gens semblent se plaindre de la quantité de trafic qui traverse ou vient à Hua Hin, c'est le cas dans toutes les grandes villes à travers le monde, et pas seulement de Hua Hin. Chaque ville / Ville a des heures de pointe.

Of course, you are right, all major cities have problems, but where it is laughable is that one takes as a model of Hua Hin traffc. cheesy.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gif1zgarz5.gif

"Highway Police and Tourist Police will also cooperate ....."

What does a Highway Policeman look like?? I don't think I have ever seen one. Or maybe I have. Are they the ones in the s**t brown uniforms that sit and watch the traffic go by but never do anything??