Pattaya Officers Raid Pub Again After It Was Ordered To Close For 30 Days

Rimmer

Where are all our "tea money" parrots?

Give it another minute or two. Possibly they're all busy trying to sort out their overstay or serial visa-exempt entry issues.

It's no secret that tea money is paid in these " circles", it's also no secret that no receipts are handed out for those payments and it's even less of a secret that when there are problem the collectors are unreachable.

Where are all our "tea money" parrots?

Give it another minute or two. Possibly they're all busy trying to sort out their overstay or serial visa-exempt entry issues.

It's no secret that tea money is paid in these " circles", it's also no secret that no receipts are handed out for those payments and it's even less of a secret that when there are problem the collectors are unreachable.

We didn't have long to wait. :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There are no farang bar owners in Thailand

Not sure what you mean, but
there are "farang bar" owners and farang "bar owners" in Thailand.
Why not?

Farang's aren't allowed to own real property in Thailand. The leases for "bars" are suspect at the least, most likely of no real value in terms of money. You pay for permission to operate. It's really a rather simple concept to understand. You pay but you don't own anything. Keep in mind the types of people we refer to and you have your context.

Funny that. My name was on the licence for almost 13 years. Not one baht was paid to the BIB. And it is the licence that denotes that it is a bar, no need to own the property.

People should really get their facts straight before making generalized statements like that.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There are no farang bar owners in Thailand

Not sure what you mean, but

there are "farang bar" owners and farang "bar owners" in Thailand.

Why not?

Farang's aren't allowed to own real property in Thailand. The leases for "bars" are suspect at the least, most likely of no real value in terms of money. You pay for permission to operate. It's really a rather simple concept to understand. You pay but you don't own anything. Keep in mind the types of people we refer to and you have your context.

Funny that. My name was on the licence for almost 13 years. Not one baht was paid to the BIB. And it is the licence that denotes that it is a bar, no need to own the property.

People should really get their facts straight before making generalized statements like that.

Chris, are you a US citizen by any chance ?

http://www.doingbusinessthailand.com/blog-thailand/doing-business-in-thailand/starting-a-business-in-thailand-3bar-business.html

May foreign investors run bars?

In a nutshell, Bar Business is also a business activity which is subject to restriction under the Foreign Business Act list 3. Therefore only Thai and Us Citizens may legally go into the business. For the rest of the world the only alternative is either to find a real Thai partner that will own 51% of the business while you will own only 49% or not to get involved at all.

http://www.samuiforsale.com/knowledge/thai-business-law.html

List 3: These businesses are treated in a manner similar to those in list 2 except that the power to grant an Alien Business License to foreigners who wish to start a new business is vested with the Director General and a committee. Exemptions are possible under the Treaty of Amity and Economic Relations between the Kingdom of Thailand and the United States of America. Also, the Board of Investment may grant exceptions for businesses covered by Lists 2 and 3.

http://www.doingbusinessthailand.com/blog-thailand/doing-business-in-thailand/starting-a-business-in-thailand-3bar-business.html

In a nutshell, Bar Business is also a business activity which is subject to restriction under the Foreign Business Act list 3. Therefore only Thai and Us Citizens may legally go into the business. For the rest of the world the only alternative is either to find a real Thai partner that will own 51% of the business while you will own only 49% or not to get involved at all.

List 3: These businesses are treated in a manner similar to those in list 2 except that the power to grant an Alien Business License to foreigners who wish to start a new business is vested with the Director General and a committee. Exemptions are possible under the Treaty of Amity and Economic Relations between the Kingdom of Thailand and the United States of America. Also, the Board of Investment may grant exceptions for businesses covered by Lists 2 and 3.

Absolutely not, and my name was still on the original licence. This was renewed/extended every year, albeit by my wife.

Absolutely not, and my name was still on the original licence. This was renewed/extended every year, albeit by my wife.

I aked the question in the business forum and this is what Sunbelt Asia, which I consider are reputable legal advisers, answered.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744692-bar-license/#entry8132375

Can a foreigner obtain a license in his personal name to open a beer bar in Thailand, or is this a restricted business under the foreign business act ?

Although it is not a restricted activity you cannot hold the licenses as an individual. You would need to open a company and the Food and Alcohol licenses would be issued to that company. You can open other types of juristic entities but you would not be able to act as a managing director of the business and you would not be able to get a work permit so a Thai Limited Company is recommended if you plan on running the business yourself.

I aked the question in the business forum and this is what Sunbelt Asia, which I consider are reputable legal advisers, answered.

Can a foreigner obtain a license in his personal name to open a beer bar in Thailand, or is this a restricted business under the foreign business act ?

Although it is not a restricted activity you cannot hold the licenses as an individual. You would need to open a company and the Food and Alcohol licenses would be issued to that company. You can open other types of juristic entities but you would not be able to act as a managing director of the business and you would not be able to get a work permit so a Thai Limited Company is recommended if you plan on running the business yourself.

Hi Jesse, just to put the record straight. I looked up some old documents last night from the bar just to make sure I was right in what I said. On looking at the old licences, my name is not on them. I am not sure what it was that I signed; this was back in 1999 in Phitsanulok when the bar was opened.

So my apologies for having mislead anyone reading this thread, my information was wrong. We did not form a company and my wife had everything done in her name.

C

• Like 1

Hi Jesse, just to put the record straight. I looked up some old documents last night from the bar just to make sure I was right in what I said. On looking at the old licences, my name is not on them. I am not sure what it was that I signed; this was back in 1999 in Phitsanulok when the bar was opened.

So my apologies for having mislead anyone reading this thread, my information was wrong. We did not form a company and my wife had everything done in her name.

C

Chris your apologies are accepted and well appreciated. Memories may fade over a 15 year period and mistakes may be made, but it's a sign of courage and honesty for one to admit their mistakes on an open forum.

I wonder where are those other self proclaimed forum authorities that came here ridiculing other members with "their" vast knowledge and asking for the members who knew what they were talking about to be banned ?

Their silence is deafening, their posts removed, but actions should be taken against them as they make a habit of it.

You know who you are.

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

C

Okay, thanks for the correction. Since you now tell us it was in Phitsanulok, it seems like

Farang bars without prostitution are rarely "raided" being my on topic point and inquiry.(Disco's excluded from that statement)

Edited by BruceMangosteen

Please be aware of the following forum rule which every member agreed to abide with :

16) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.