returning to Thailand after being deported 2 ago for lost passport

I was deported 2 years ago and told by US embassy that I was not being put on black list , I was deported for overstay due to my passport was stolen , I went to court paid fine and was told to get new passport and visa and I could stay by the judge, instead I was taken to IDC , my embassy told me I was welcome to return with out any problems.

I want to know how I can check this out before I return this time with non immigrant B visa ,, don't want to waist time and money only to be surprised at Thai airport...and turned around sent back home....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a similar boat, having voluntarily gone to pay a fine and be deported for overstay nearly 2 years ago, now returning for the first time since with a multiple entry non-O. Everything I've seen, everything ppl have said here, suggests it's not a problem, having not been blacklisted under the old rules that applied at that time and with everything being done as it's supposed to be. My worry, however, is that I'm entering on the 13th (!!!) so there could be some craziness and confusion that I get wrongly dragged into.

A friend of mine just did a border crossing and asked the officer in charge about my situation and the Officer told him I would be in the data base as being deported and would face problems for sure when I tried to re enter even if I was not Blacklisted , my name would show up as deported for overstay ???? even though I paid the fine ,.... I only want to do the right thing and be 100% correct in all legal maters in Thailand.

I don't think will have a problem entering the country with a valid visa. They might ask more questions if you were doing an exempt entry and they noticed your overstay,

Since you left voluntarily it would be different from a deportation order from a court. Your records may only show the overstay and a departure.

• Like 1

I overstayed 1 year after my passport was stolen then girlfriend turn me in to police then I went to court and paid my fine 750 ThB and judge told me to just get new passport and new visa and I was fine to stay.. immigration police were supposed to take me to my Embassy but instead took me to IDC and I met my embassy people there and arranged new passport and ticket home from there

I overstayed 1 year after my passport was stolen then girlfriend turn me in to police then I went to court and paid my fine 750 ThB and judge told me to just get new passport and new visa and I was fine to stay.. immigration police were supposed to take me to my Embassy but instead took me to IDC and I met my embassy people there and arranged new passport and ticket home from there

was it a malicious act your girlfriend turning you in or a gentle helping hand? Yes my friends brother turned himself in and was kept in IDC for 3 months until he had money for airfare. Never turn yourself in. It does not always work out sweetly.
  • Like 2

LOL. Why didn't you get a new passport? You overstayed because you wanted to. Nothing at all to do with your lost passport. Lots of people lose their passports but don't overstay.

• Like 2

I can't speak for every country but the UK certainly supplies emergency travel documents in such cases as the OP describes, and within 24 hours.

I agree with others here - zero sympathy; if you didn't know the correct procedure to keep yourself legal after your passport was stolen, the necessary information could have been obtained in five minutes.

This gives a whole new dimension to your story. You did not overstay due to your lost passport and by no stretch of imagination will any authority accept this. You overstayed for a year and were apprehended after the girlfriend ratted you out to police. Is that what you are saying? If you reported immediately after your passport was stolen and applied for a new or temporary travel documents from your embassy, this would not have happened.

I think the story is more like

I was on deliberate overstay and tried to avoid capture but was caught by police for doing something wrong and when asked to produce my passport I conveniently lost it thinking I might get away with it

Just kidding whistling.gif

• Like 1

I was not looking for Sympathy or Opinions I am only interested in real facts and real answers not feelings or judgments ,,,,, yack yack talk talk is not useful or productive .

if I was interested in any BS bar talk I would have went to a bar and rang the bell!!!!!

I need real facts and looks like no one really has any unless one of you has access to the Thai immigration computer data base or official changes in the laws and how they would effect a past situation.

thought there might be someone with any authority to back it up what they were saying,

this was a complete waist of time

• Like 1

Whatever the rules are or whatever the experience, you don't seem to understand:

A FACT IS that absolutely no visa and nor any visa rule or other's people view or experience will protect you if the immigration officer whom you will meet does not accept your story... the immigration officer has full discretion to interpret the situation and act upon it as he sees fit...

I would think that is a rather productive advice, no...!?

• Like 1

I was not looking for Sympathy or Opinions I am only interested in real facts and real answers not feelings or judgments ,,,,, yack yack talk talk is not useful or productive .

if I was interested in any BS bar talk I would have went to a bar and rang the bell!!!!!

I need real facts and looks like no one really has any unless one of you has access to the Thai immigration computer data base or official changes in the laws and how they would effect a past situation.

thought there might be someone with any authority to back it up what they were saying,

this was a complete waist of time

Pipe down pal. All this was your own doing, you should have reported it missing straightaway and now you wouldn't have a problem, but no, you couldn't be bothered could you and now it has come back to bite you in the arse. You're a grown man, accept some responsibilty. As far as your case is concerned, you probably fall into one of these grey areas where nobody really knows if you will be allowed in or not, it simply may just depend on if your officer is in a good mood or not. If it was me I would proceed as normal and just hope for the best and make sure you have a story if they start asking questions. Good luck.

• Like 1

A friend of mine just did a border crossing and asked the officer in charge about my situation and the Officer told him I would be in the data base as being deported and would face problems for sure when I tried to re enter even if I was not Blacklisted , my name would show up as deported for overstay ???? even though I paid the fine ,.... I only want to do the right thing and be 100% correct in all legal maters in Thailand.

It's a pity you didn't feel the same way before you had the problem, because it sounds like you may well have a problem if you come back. Stop shooting the messengers just because they're not telling you what you want to hear.

Regarding the 'credibility' of the forum, it's more yours that's in doubt.

Thanks ,, I did report my pp stolen immediately and was told turning yourself in did not guaranty that you will not go to IDC to wait further decisions so and I did end up there for 2 weeks where I also witnessed many Brits and other foreigners that had been there for years and some had lost there minds because USA is one of the only counties that actually help there citizens to get new pass ports and tickets home the rest just sit with no chance of ever leaving because no one will pay there ticket home very sad ..

Thanks again to the few that are serious here

This is the value of having current visa's Last night I was driving up Silom Road to go th Chitlom and had to go through a police spot check. But this time I was pulled over and asked for a drivers license which I had and it was a Thai drivers license. Although I speak fairly good Thai I was not going to let the office know that. But he spoke some english and asked if I had been drinking Of course I do not drink at all and told him that. He smiled and pulled out a hand held breathalyzer and asked me to blow. I obliged and then blew.

And of course he smiled at me and said no reading and I said back to him I know I don't drink and said it in Thai He said oh you Do speak a little Thai and then asked me how long I was staying in Thailand I told him 9 years. He asked me if Thailand was pretty and I agreed with him. He then said Have a nice evening sir and said I can go..

My point is this I do not drink and was not at all nervous when I was stopped. I had my passport with me with the proper Visa's in them so had he asked I would have been able to present them right away. Had I not had the proper visa's I would have been nervous and I suspect he would have seen it as well. Had he asked for a visa and I did not have a proper one I would have been hailed off to Jail .

The reason I am saying this is for people who are stupid enough to run around without a current Visa You have set your self up for a fall and it will eventually catch up to you one way or the other

Be stupid and get caught or play by the rules and have no worries what so ever

• Like 1