Fairly urgent advice requested.

Howdy visa experts.

I arrived here late April on a one year multi-entry non-imm O (marriage) visa. I did my initial report a bit late as I thought the stamp at the airport was sufficient. When I realised my mistake, I reported in, they were very good about it, stamped the bit of paper and stapled it in my passport my passport (Receipt of Notification....of Alien's address....on 27 May 2014).

The immigration stamp from the airport "expires" today, 21 July.

I went in today, it was the same chap who was decent about my initial late reporting. He initially said I have to do a border run as my visa is 3 months only.

I politely said, no Sir, it's a 1 year visa...he couldn't find it, but finally did, read it very carefully, and then said "No, go to border, your passport is multi-entry, can't stamp it here".

I think he is wrong. I suspect he was face-saving for his initial "go to border" on assumption I'm on 3 month or something. There was a queue behind me and everyone heard what he said.

Is there a good way to deal with this situation? Quote the regulations?

Or use the Notification of Alien's address and not go back until August 26?

Seek higher authority (a tricky thing as I hope to have a long and good relationship with this office).

What is the 90 day reporting? I thought it was just the address thing for me as I have one year visa. Has the immigration stamp (expires 21 July) got a bearing on it?

I really don't want to do a border run, and really don't think I should have to.

As today is the day, is this terribly urgent or is there some leeway for this situation?

Appreciate advice and a "like" if you have advice so I can see it straight away, thanks.

Edited by Seastallion

He was right.

You have a 1 year multiple entry visa, but that does not allow you to stay for 1 year. It means your visa is valid for one year and during that validity you can travel to Thailand an unlimited number of times and every time you enter you cna stay for up to 90 days (the date they stamp in your passport).

Only when you apply for an extension of stay can you stay longer. You do not have tie to apply for a 1 year extension, but can aapply for a 60 day extension or leave the country and return to get a new 90 days.

For the 60 day extension you wuld need:

- copy paspsort

-photo

- copy arrival card

-copy marriage certificate

- copy ID card wife

- copy household registration wife

and all the originals and your wife needs to accompany you.

• Like 2

You have a multiple entry visa. Each entry is only good for 90 days so you have to do a border run. Since you are married you could take your wife, a copy of her ID and housebook to inmmigration and apply for a 60 day extension of stay "to visit your Thai family" the cost is 1900 baht and you fill out a TM 7 form with one picture. Otherwise if you do not exit on/before the date stamped inyour passport you will have overstayed and it will cost you 500 baht/day upon exiting, maximum 20k baht.

The visa is good for 1 year but you have to exit every 90 days and you do not have to do 90 day address reports.

After midnight tonight you will be on overstay.

You need to leave every 90 days. You have a visa valid for a year but it only allows 90 day entries.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

take care if you want to use this Multi '0' Visa this time, if you do not go out and back again today then that Visa will becomes Void

Overstaying a multiple entry visa entry does cause the visa to be invalid. What makes you think it does.

• Like 1

Seastallion, Mario 2008 is absolutely correct. The fact that an immigration officer let you do a 90 day report has no bearing on the fact that you have a multi-entry O visa and you will receive a permission to stay for just 90 days each time to enter Thailand. You will never have to do a 90 day report. The immigration officer misled you in even letting you file the report.

I know someone here in Chiang Mai in a similar situation who did TWO! 90 day reports thinking he had a one-year visa. He just found out he has to pay a 20,000 baht overstay fine, leave the country and can't return for one year because his overstay is greater than 40 days! The fact that TWO immigration officers let him do 90 day reports and didn't point out that he should exit Thailand, rather than do 90 day reports, is irrelevant.

• Like 2

Seastallion, Mario 2008 is absolutely correct. The fact that an immigration officer let you do a 90 day report has no bearing on the fact that you have a multi-entry O visa and you will receive a permission to stay for just 90 days each time to enter Thailand. You will never have to do a 90 day report. The immigration officer misled you in even letting you file the report.

I know someone here in Chiang Mai in a similar situation who did TWO! 90 day reports thinking he had a one-year visa. He just found out he has to pay a 20,000 baht overstay fine, leave the country and can't return for one year because his overstay is greater than 40 days! The fact that TWO immigration officers let him do 90 day reports and didn't point out that he should exit Thailand, rather than do 90 day reports, is irrelevant.

Who said a 40 day overstay means you cannot return for a a year. At the moment there is no such rule.

The new rules that are awaiting approval will result in a one year ban for an overstay of more than 90 days.

Who said a 40 day overstay means you cannot return for a a year. At the moment there is no such rule.

The new rules that are awaiting approval will result in a one year ban for an overstay of more than 90 days.

So, they could get out NOW and immediately re-enter and be OK with an overstay of about six months? A visa agent told him he'd be blacklisted for a year.

Edited by NancyL

So, they could get out NOW and immediately re-enter and be OK with an overstay of about six months? A visa agent told him he'd be blacklisted for a year.

Correct - that rule has not yet been brought into practice and sounds as though it may well be modified first (to remove possibility of lifetime blacklist). Anyway they had better act quickly.

No problem coming in on any Northern borders at the moment for multi entry visa holders. Would avoid the South as although they are letting multi entry visa holders in the whole situation there is a bit of a mess. For a longish overstay flying out by air from Swampy and back in is always the safest bet.

Again, they had better act QUICKLY and everything will be fine.

That visa agent is wrong. Probably trying to get a fee to get it fixed,

People have about 60 days to get their overstays sorted out. The new rules are awaiting approval by the interior ministry (perhaps a cabinet in place also).

• Like 2

Well, I caught a minivan to Padang...went through immigration ok. Asked them if I will get back in, ...no problem. Caught a motosy for the crossing, but at the roundabout on the Malaysian side, told him I want to go and eat so instead of doing a U-turn, he dropped me off at a "market" (I've never been to Malaysia so I wanted to at least "be there" for something, not just the U-turn). Changed some money, bought some good food, got bored, so walked back to the border.

Here's where it gets interesting.

Stopped at the duty-free centre, bought a bottle of Captain Morgan Rum for 40 ringit (400 baht). A promo was on, buy one get one free, so walked out with 2 bottles for 400 baht.

Walked up to the crossing, someone pointed in a direction (to the right), and I walked straight past Thai Immigration (departures), and into Thailand. I knew I needed a stamp, so went back (literally walked back into the immigration area from the main road), and presented my passport....but that was departures! They didn't know what to do! "Did you go to Malaysia?" Yes...."You have to go to Arrivals!"...so...walked over to Arrivals filled in the arrival card, got my passport stamped, walked through customs, and out onto the main road. If I had known it would be that easy, I would have bought another two bottles of Captain Morgan!

Thanks everyone for their good advice.

Mate, thats not lax .. thats normal for Padang.

Its pretty relaxed, In 12 years, I had one time an immigration guy with perfect English decided to count my stamps, he just wanted to bust my balls. The guy in arrivals just smiled and stamped me back in.

Duty-free is of no concern of immigration, maybe the shop wouldnt sell you more than the quota.

• Like 1

Its pretty relaxed, In 12 years, I had one time an immigration guy with perfect English decided to count my stamps, he just wanted to bust my balls. The guy in arrivals just smiled and stamped me back in.

Duty-free is of no concern of immigration, maybe the shop wouldnt sell you more than the quota.

I said lax because I actually just strolled into Thailand illegally, under the noses of everyone, and also walked past Customs without them asking anything about what I was carrying.

It's a pity the towns on both sides are so boring. Someone would make a good business catering to border-runners.... a cool place to sit and get some food or drink, bus or van tickets etc.

In the van on the way back, met a French guy, Eric, who owns an "adventure park", some sort of treetop walk thing, on Koh Phangan. Nice to chat...we had a few beers when we got back to Hat Yai.

Overall it was a good day despite the panic in the morning.

Chiang mai are making everyone who reports now sign a statement to say that they understand these new rules.. So I am told as of a few days ago anyway.

CNX appear to have jumped the gun on the implementation of this.

I said lax because I actually just strolled into Thailand illegally, under the noses of everyone, and also walked past Customs without them asking anything about what I was carrying.

It's a pity the towns on both sides are so boring. Someone would make a good business catering to border-runners.... a cool place to sit and get some food or drink, bus or van tickets etc.

In the van on the way back, met a French guy, Eric, who owns an "adventure park", some sort of treetop walk thing, on Koh Phangan. Nice to chat...we had a few beers when we got back to Hat Yai.

Overall it was a good day despite the panic in the morning.

Its always slack there.. I have driven vehicles through without doing any of the import export paperwork.. Try that at a northern border and they will explode at you..

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th

Immigration website also saying new blacklisting now 'in place' not just suggested ??

It is just says warning so not sure yet that they are going to enforce it now.

There is now a topic about it no need for more discussion on this topic. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744965-thailand-immigration-confirms-new-overstay-rules-are-now-official/

"People have about 60 days to get their overstays sorted out. The new rules are awaiting approval by the interior ministry (perhaps a cabinet in place also)."

Is that still the case?

As far as I know yes. But post any other questions in the overstay topic.

Duty-free is of no concern to immigration, but it is to customs. The shop will sell as much as you want to pay for; that's not to say they won't give a phone call to customs the moment you leave their shop.

I suggest to not try and smuggle.

• Like 1

I received this today, apparently applicable now:

post-149547-0-60535200-1406036850_thumb.

Is it a fake?