How will the new visa regulations change Thailand's expat community?

DaveWalsh

offshore wind farms are for little girls, and tree huggers, not a real offshore job playing with a windmill

Mr SP, there is a Windmill in Pattaya if I recall, a place with very friendly girls laugh.png

Thailands contribution to worldwide sustainable energy resources ?...tongue.png

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ALso there's a minimum of 500 years worth of oil and gas (some say over 2,000) So i get the feeling people will be working off and onshore in O&G a lot longer than doing these awful windfarms

good TV program on discovery a while about about the Chinese drilling for gas with bamboo drill bits/ bamboo derricks etc... very interesting and that was 2000 years ago

they say wind farmers are enviromentally friendly, tell that to the birds, some rare species, that get shredded in them on a regular basis..rolleyes.gif

I'm sure someone will say, "Prove we have 2000 years worth of oil"

I can't, as there is nothing online but if you are in the game you know they are fisnind fields under fields, we just don't have (or need) the tech to get there yet

The technology is there, it is called fracking. Google will be your friend. It uses some really nasty chemicals and is highly dangerous to the environment.

But then, who cares if you can make millions of dollars?

ALso there's a minimum of 500 years worth of oil and gas (some say over 2,000) So i get the feeling people will be working off and onshore in O&G a lot longer than doing these awful windfarms

good TV program on discovery a while about about the Chinese drilling for gas with bamboo drill bits/ bamboo derricks etc... very interesting and that was 2000 years ago

they say wind farmers are enviromentally friendly, tell that to the birds, some rare species, that get shredded in them on a regular basis..rolleyes.gif

Collateral damage. Are you willing to reduce your energy consumption? to what lengths would you go to keep your internet connect and A/C keep running?

That said, they are now building cages around the wind generators, like the cage you have around your padlom.

Firstly, visa hoppers are not ex-pats, they are the forever tourists and for those bona-fife ex-pats on proper visas for staying in Thailand for the long term will not be in the least affected by the new enforced visa regulations.

So in answer to the OP`s question; how will the new visa regulations change Thailand`s expat community? The answer is, there will not be any changes.

If you've been living here long term and not Thai you're an expat regardless of visa status.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Firstly, visa hoppers are not ex-pats, they are the forever tourists and for those bona-fife ex-pats on proper visas for staying in Thailand for the long term will not be in the least affected by the new enforced visa regulations.

So in answer to the OP`s question; how will the new visa regulations change Thailand`s expat community? The answer is, there will not be any changes.

If you've been living here long term and not Thai you're an expat regardless of visa status.

I havent yet sussed out if I am an alien, farang or expat.

Cant wait to see what happens IF the rules for extending a visa are ever implemented.

Lets be honest here, 400k in the bank for a marriage extension, its a joke.

Wonder how many of these bona fide expats would be having squeaky bum time?

Some definitions for "expat" say that you live in a country other than your home country, other say that you live and pay taxes in a country other than your home country.

It doesn't matter. If you are on a tourist visa and you work, you violate the visa conditions. And that's what many of the "visa-hoppers", "visa runners", or OI-people do.

What I personally consider to be expats are those that have the proper visa for what they do in Thailand. Tourists are not expats, they just come for a vacation.

An expatriate to me is someone who lives abroad for a long term. A visa hopper is someone who has to leave the foreign country at frequent intervals and return each time to extend their holidaymaker or tourist visas and in my book these are not ex-pats. It`s all a case of interpretation.

But whatever you say; I`ll go along with, not that it makes any difference.

I havent yet sussed out if I am an alien, farang or expat.

It took me about 5 minutes of being in Thailand to work out that I was all three, and that was back in the 70s. I expect to stay so until I die.

Great stuff, thats why I will forever a renter be.

I can't, as there is nothing online but if you are in the game you know they are fisnind fields under fields, we just don't have (or need) the tech to get there yet

The technology is there, it is called fracking. Google will be your friend. It uses some really nasty chemicals and is highly dangerous to the environment.

Mate i've been fracking for years.

That's not it. The fields they have found or think are there are mega deep. Totally different science to Fracking

• Like 1

Are you willing to reduce your energy consumption? to what lengths would you go to keep your internet connect and A/C keep running?

Not really, "energy consumption", and the need for "cheap power" keeps me employed, I want people to use more, run more cars, turn the AC's colder...laugh.png

You wouldnt want to deprive Uncle Soutie of a good livelyhood would you ?

• Like 2

Are you willing to reduce your energy consumption? to what lengths would you go to keep your internet connect and A/C keep running?

Not really, "energy consumption", and the need for "cheap power" keeps me employed, I want people to use more, run more cars, turn the AC's colder...laugh.png

If he buys some turbo charged TGAUs that will help as well, maybe you could sell him a few Soutie?

That's not it. The fields they have found or think are there are mega deep. Totally different science to Fracking

Franky... "fracking" is the enviromentalist new "dirty word" they blame everything on it not knowing what it is and where its used.... its just the new "PC buzzword" word going around, I am waiting for the next plane to fall out the sky, and sure someone will blame "fracking" for it...thumbsup.gif

I think I know what your talking about as regards the "deep field" stuff, yes the technology is not there yet to get at it effectively, but fracking will most certainly will not get it to surface...biggrin.png

• Like 1

If he buys some turbo charged TGAUs that will help as well, maybe you could sell him a few Soutie?

Toadie, you maybe onto something, Solar or wind powered TGAU's to keep the "greenies" happy ?.... TGAU's for the tree huggers... brillant concept, could even be made out of recycled materials such as ground glass, ...clap2.gif

• Like 1

Franky... "fracking" is the enviromentalist new "dirty word" they blame everything on it not knowing what it is and where its used.... its just the new "PC buzzword" word going around, I am waiting for the next plane to fall out the sky, and sure someone will blame "fracking" for it...thumbsup.gif

I think I know what your talking about as regards the "deep field" stuff, yes the technology is not there yet to get at it effectively, but fracking will most certainly will not get it to surface...biggrin.png

Yeah i know mate.

Fracking is fine. No more dangerous than walking your dog and a drunk driver hitting you.

It doesn't damage <deleted> all.

But no doubt "experts" will be along to debunk that....you'know....these experts that have been working in Fracking for years.....or read about it online?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

they say wind farmers are enviromentally friendly, tell that to the birds, some rare species, that get shredded in them on a regular basis.. alt=rolleyes.gif>

There's no denying fracking is here, it just needs to be taken seriously......................... thumbsup.gif

Canadian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4aOMKhkhSc

British:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr1AfGpkWoY

tongue.png

• Like 2

I see, something new again then... I am not in the O&G business and only learned about fracking this year. Hard to keep up.

Never.

There is a law in Germany saying that they are not allowed to do fracking near water wells used for drinking water due to pollution concerns. The beer brewers' association is now fighting that water wells used for beer brewing be included in this protective law. While I don't mind flammable water taps, I do mind beer in which CO2 is not the only gas - if only for taste purposes.

• Like 1

Yeah i know mate.

Fracking is fine. No more dangerous than walking your dog and a drunk driver hitting you.

It doesn't damage <deleted> all.

But no doubt "experts" will be along to debunk that....you'know....these experts that have been working in Fracking for years.....or read about it online?

I read about it online. I suppose the lawmakers in Germany went deeper into it.

Work permits are handed out to people who, in my opinion, are generally either second rate (at best) or (more often) third rate.

Let's be honest -- how many first rate expats work for MNCs in Thailand? The answer is zero. First rate guys would never consider transferring to Thailand.

Dave has obviously never spent time with the Diplomatic core ... facepalm.gif

Civil servants earn the same wherever they're posted.

For an aspiring diplomat, BKK might be a useful first rung of the ladder, but it'll only ever be a stepping stone.

For a private sector employee, BKK is very much the short straw.

EXAMPLE

I once spoke to an HR Manager in London. The company maintained offices in NYC, Sao Paulo, Paris, Tokyo, Singapore and BKK.

The office in BKK never pulled in much cash. It was the least profitable of the company's overseas operations.

So I asked the HR Manager why they kept the BKK office.

The HR Manager laughed and said: "if we didn't have the Bangkok office, where else would we transfer the wan_kers".

True story.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the global market conditions dictate where people are placed in the world and for different industries this may be different? I work in the automotive sector and oddly enough I work in Rayong, "the Detroit of the East". Of course I was also given the opportunity to move to India as well because their market is growing incredibly. I will not even get on a plane to visit there. So if 2nd and 3rd rate expats are in Thailand, what would the ones in my field be classified as in India?

I personally wouldn't pick to live in India. But if the money and roll was right then I would at least consider it. You can really live like a king if you can tolerate the surroundings and the locals both general public and in the work space. Would be tough for me but I have heard good reports from expats living or having lived in India in my company

To other farang you are indeed an 'expat', but in all my years here I've never heard a Thai government official/cop call us anything than 'tourist'. They don't know what the word 'expat' means. And don't want to, with it's implications of being anything other than that which they can kick out at a moments notice.

To other farang you are indeed an 'expat', but in all my years here I've never heard a Thai government official/cop call us anything than 'tourist'. They don't know what the word 'expat' means. And don't want to, with it's implications of being anything other than that which they can kick out at a moments notice.

Agreed. They always reserve the power to kick any and all of us out at will. Of course. No, not saying they will, but it's more charming to be HUMBLE and retain a more realistic perspective of the potentially vulnerable situation all foreigners are in here. That's why it grates me ... the foreigners who think they are so superior to other foreigners here in their precious visa status. They seem to internalize police POV and sometimes even Thai style xenophobia (which is really twisted coming from foreigners) that have nothing to do with them ... they are still foreigners. Exceptions would be permanent residents of course. Hearing foreigners say stuff like "Kick the Scum Out" ... you know, it's totally ridiculous. They don't realize that to others THEY are scum too.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Agreed. They always reserve the power to kick any and all of us out at will. Of course. No, not saying they will, but it's more charming to be HUMBLE and retain a more realistic perspective of the potentially vulnerable situation all foreigners are in here. That's why it grates me ... the foreigners who think they are so superior to other foreigners here in their precious visa status. They seem to internalize police POV and sometimes even Thai style xenophobia (which is really twisted coming from foreigners) that have nothing to do with them ... they are still foreigners. Exceptions would be permanent residents of course. Hearing foreigners say stuff like "Kick the Scum Out" ... you know, it's totally ridiculous. They don't realize that to others THEY are scum too.

Bang on. It's about their ego

Or could be a combination! Again, I feel expats ragging on other expats is unseemly. We're all vulnerable to some degree, and the tables do tend to turn, if you feel safe today, you might not tomorrow, and then you'll come on thaivisa with your legit concerns looking for support, and the insults will be waiting to tell you're worthless and they're the favored ones. Neener neener neener GO HOME ... and so it goes!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Post removed

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy. Members should not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

• Like 1

Do you have a questionnaire?

I would be more interested to know if he still has overstay problems...biggrin.png

@CHARLIE. Exactly what I was referring to. Why is SOUTPEEL fixated on this idea I have an overstay?

He is accusing me (incorrectly) of being a lawbreaker.

So Dave if we are all 3rd rate or 2nd rate expats at best where do you fit in?

• Like 1