You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Does Car Insurance Cover If Driver has No Licence?

muskoka

As an ex insurance employee, very large international company, No licence for driver no insurance cover irrespective who is driving or has licence. Simple as that, some will tell you otherwise but not correct. An licence from your 'home' country is only valued for three months use in Thailand and must be accompanied by an International Driving Permit ( No such thing as licence) or certified Thai translation which is accepted more than the IDP.

Not correct, IDP is not required in Thailand provided the home DL is in English and has photo. certified Thai translation is not required.

Sorry you are wrong, what happens and what should happen are two entirely different things. Technically as per Thai law a home driving licence is NOT acceptable on it's own. Check the law.

Please don't start this discussion here again.

This discussion has been held here many times, and the result is always the same: home license is valid, provided in English and with photo. IDP is not required, but can be helpful sometimes.

• Like 2

At 13 years old i got 3 months detention center (aka kids prison) along with an endorsement on the DL i did,nt have which expired 2 months after getting my DL,

My parents ripped into me and explained they would have been paying for the rest of their lives financially if i happened to maim or kill anyone.

I do not understand your last paragraph, if I had son, any age, and he drove a car without my consent, and killed or maimed someone, there is no way I would be paying out for the rest of my life, not even for the rest of the month.

In many countries a parent is considered legally responsible for the actions of a 13-year old child. And so the parent could be sued for damages caused by their son's bad/illegal driving, and in some countries the amount could be very high indeed.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Car is 1yo Honda with new value over 600,000 Baht, so not a minor issue."

The cost of the car is nothing. Consider the potential cost if the son kills someone, and not just the financial aspect.

I'm amazed that anyone would even consider letting someone without a licence drive their vehicle unsupervised, even in a country where having a licence is such a poor indication of actual driving ability.

I'm amazed that anyone would even consider.....

Yeah but that's why the world has stupid people......so that you will be amazed.

Just to say. I have been driving in Thailand eight years. In that time I have made two claims. I have no Thai driving licence but use UK driving licence. Insurance company (Viraya) say "no problem as long as you possess a driving licence". Both times no Thai driving licence (but UK licence) and both times absolutely no problems with making claims.

Do you live in Thailand? If so, Thai DL is required. If you live elsewhere, home license (provided in English and with photo) is sufficient. As mentioned earlier, after 3 months you're presumed living here.

So if you do live here you have been lucky. If you don't, they did what they were supposed to do.

My experience is the same as cms22. I have never had a Thai DL and have been living and driving here for a long time. Perhaps all insurance policies are not the same, but I have had three claims over the years and all were accepted by my insurance company while I was driving on my home country license. My policy states that the driver must have a "valid license" and when asked, the company specifically stated in writing that any license, Thai or foreign, is covered so long as it is a valid one.

Just to say. I have been driving in Thailand eight years. In that time I have made two claims. I have no Thai driving licence but use UK driving licence. Insurance company (Viraya) say "no problem as long as you possess a driving licence". Both times no Thai driving licence (but UK licence) and both times absolutely no problems with making claims.

Do you live in Thailand? If so, Thai DL is required. If you live elsewhere, home license (provided in English and with photo) is sufficient. As mentioned earlier, after 3 months you're presumed living here.

So if you do live here you have been lucky. If you don't, they did what they were supposed to do.

My experience is the same as cms22. I have never had a Thai DL and have been living and driving here for a long time. Perhaps all insurance policies are not the same, but I have had three claims over the years and all were accepted by my insurance company while I was driving on my home country license. My policy states that the driver must have a "valid license" and when asked, the company specifically stated in writing that any license, Thai or foreign, is covered so long as it is a valid one.

So you, together with many,many others, have been lucky.

In your situation Thai DL is legally required. So your home license is not valid in Thailand.

Hit somebody for a couple of million Baht and see what happens.

But you do have a licence.

A similar issue is whether my tgf can learn to drive in my car. It's a catch 22, she can't drive until she gets a licence but can't get a licence unless she learns to drive. How do thais learn to drive? is there no provisional licence like we have in the UK.

Ever heard of driving schools? Thailand has them. Problem solved.

At 13 years old i got 3 months detention center (aka kids prison) along with an endorsement on the DL i did,nt have which expired 2 months after getting my DL,

My parents ripped into me and explained they would have been paying for the rest of their lives financially if i happened to maim or kill anyone.

I do not understand your last paragraph, if I had son, any age, and he drove a car without my consent, and killed or maimed someone, there is no way I would be paying out for the rest of my life, not even for the rest of the month.

In many countries a parent is considered legally responsible for the actions of a 13-year old child. And so the parent could be sued for damages caused by their son's bad/illegal driving, and in some countries the amount could be very high indeed.

Yes, you have a point, but I don't see any parent paying out for the rest of their life for something their child did.

As an ex insurance employee, very large international company, No licence for driver no insurance cover irrespective who is driving or has licence. Simple as that, some will tell you otherwise but not correct. An licence from your 'home' country is only valued for three months use in Thailand and must be accompanied by an International Driving Permit ( No such thing as licence) or certified Thai translation which is accepted more than the IDP.

Not correct, IDP is not required in Thailand provided the home DL is in English and has photo. certified Thai translation is not required.

Sorry you are wrong, what happens and what should happen are two entirely different things. Technically as per Thai law a home driving licence is NOT acceptable on it's own. Check the law.

Please don't start this discussion here again.

This discussion has been held here many times, and the result is always the same: home license is valid, provided in English and with photo. IDP is not required, but can be helpful sometimes.

I was at the licence centre a few weeks ago and they were saying that an IDP IS required although they can be lenient. The same day they had refused a number of foreign licenses, with photo, but without IDP. Just because you say you don't have to doesn't make it correct.

A similar issue is whether my tgf can learn to drive in my car. It's a catch 22, she can't drive until she gets a licence but can't get a licence unless she learns to drive. How do thais learn to drive? is there no provisional licence like we have in the UK.

Ever heard of driving schools? Thailand has them. Problem solved.

Not really, if that was the case they wouldn't be this year and year after year moving up soon to be No.1, they are 2 now as the worse drivers in the world or the most accidents?

Send her to a driving school, readily available in Bkk and Pattaya.

No such thing as a provisional license here.

Lessons are cheap enough and the school will pretty well guarantee passing the test.

After that, pay for more lessons so the person gets practice in real traffic, rush hour, Bangkok green route, etc.

A few years ago, I put my gf through a driving school in Pattaya, it cost me 6,500 Bahts for 20 hours of driving. She got her license through the driving school, it cost me 5,000 Baht because if I didn't buy it she would have never made it. She can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I didn't want her to drive without a license, better safe than sorry. By the way, everybody knows that in Thailand with money you can buy anything, DL, police, judge ect.

So you, together with many,many others, have been lucky.

In your situation Thai DL is legally required. So your home license is not valid in Thailand.

Hit somebody for a couple of million Baht and see what happens.

For the sake of discussion: I think the insurance company can be more lenient in their contract terms than what Thai law demands. I guess they assume that drivers with foreign licenses are same or better qualified drivers considering the easy way the Thai DL can be had.

Your insurance is void if you have no valid licence which means a Thai licence, if you are in Thailand for more than 3 months. If you are in country less than 3 months, that means a valid home country licence and an international licence. The latter are only valid in Thailand for 3 months from the date of issue, regardless of what it says on the international licence. Even though you have a valid licence, your insurance is invalidated, if you were arrested for drunk driving.

Be legal. Don't give your insurance co a chance to avoid paying up. They will take any chance they can to save money and certainly don't care about bad publicity from foreigners.

• Like 2

Your insurance is void if you have no valid licence which means a Thai licence, if you are in Thailand for more than 3 months. If you are in country less than 3 months, that means a valid home country licence and an international licence. The latter are only valid in Thailand for 3 months from the date of issue, regardless of what it says on the international licence. Even though you have a valid licence, your insurance is invalidated, if you were arrested for drunk driving.

Be legal. Don't give your insurance co a chance to avoid paying up. They will take any chance they can to save money and certainly don't care about bad publicity from foreigners.

Again, I would differ on that. The law regarding whether one must have a Thai license is not the same issue as what is allowed within an insurance policy. An insurance company is breaking any laws if they wish to cover a driver with a valid foreign license while not possessing a Thai license, even though Thai law might require a Thai license. Every policy states that there is no cover if the driver is under the influence, bit that is entirely another issue and obviously one that limits the inherent risk of drink driving.

All I can say is that my policy specifically states that cover is valid so long as the insured has a driving license license, and additionally I have it in writing that my insurance company will cover the driver who is driving with a current and appropriate foreign license. They have paid three claims over the last eight years as such. Of course, different insurance companies underwrite different terms and policies – caveat emptor. Referring to an earlier post here, perhaps some insurance companies see less risk of claims with drivers who have certain foreign licenses as opposed to drivers with only a Thai license. It's all a matter of risk to insurance companies, regardless of what sort of insurance policy they are underwriting.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, as the OP was asking about "no license", and of course the answer is certainly 'no' to that. But then, an insurance company is completely within the law to insure whomever they wish, even someone driving without any license at all, although I seriously doubt that any company would do that. Again – risk.

Again, I would differ on that. The law regarding whether one must have a Thai license is not the same issue as what is allowed within an insurance policy. An insurance company is breaking any laws if they wish to cover a driver with a valid foreign license while not possessing a Thai license, even though Thai law might require a Thai license. Every policy states that there is no cover if the driver is under the influence, bit that is entirely another issue and obviously one that limits the inherent risk of drink driving.

All I can say is that my policy specifically states that cover is valid so long as the insured has a driving license license, and additionally I have it in writing that my insurance company will cover the driver who is driving with a current and appropriate foreign license. They have paid three claims over the last eight years as such. Of course, different insurance companies underwrite different terms and policies – caveat emptor. Referring to an earlier post here, perhaps some insurance companies see less risk of claims with drivers who have certain foreign licenses as opposed to drivers with only a Thai license. It's all a matter of risk to insurance companies, regardless of what sort of insurance policy they are underwriting.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, as the OP was asking about "no license", and of course the answer is certainly 'no' to that. But then, an insurance company is completely within the law to insure whomever they wish, even someone driving without any license at all, although I seriously doubt that any company would do that. Again – risk.

You seem to interpret your license as valid it is not.. and if an insurance company wants to make trouble they can because you are int he wrong. I don't understand those lazy expats that cant even convert their license to a valid Thai one.

Your license would be valid under certain circumstances.. but not under yours.

Edited by robblok

Again: no, no IDP required in combination with home license, provided home license is in English (or pictures) and has a photo.

Why do people keep on telling this nonsense really is beyond me.

• Like 1

Good for you that you're covered.

What exactly does it say in your policy, 'cover is valid if you have a DL', or 'cover if you have a valid DL'?

So i let my tgf drive learn to drive at a driving school, she has no licence. What happens if she crashes into a new mercedes. Will the school's insurance pay up for an unlicenced driver ? Or do i pay the 3 million damages.

So i let my tgf drive learn to drive at a driving school, she has no licence. What happens if she crashes into a new mercedes. Will the school's insurance pay up for an unlicenced driver ? Or do i pay the 3 million damages.

As long as she is your gf and not your wife, you never have to pay. Unless of course you want to keep her smile.png. And if you want to keep her, you'd better hope there is only material damage.

Seriously, would depend on the insurance from the driving school. If properly insured it should pay up, just make sure it is properly insured.

Edited by stevenl

As long as she is your gf and not your wife, you never have to pay. Unless of course you want to keep her smile.png. And if you want to keep her, you'd better hope there is only material damage.

Seriously, would depend on the insurance from the driving school. If properly insured it should pay up, just make sure it is properly insured.

By the road traffic act the licenced driver instructing is in charge of the vehicle unless the learner willfully disobeyed the instructions.

As long as she is your gf and not your wife, you never have to pay. Unless of course you want to keep her smile.png

Just joking i would never pay up, cheaper to get a new tgf. Next question is how i check the school's insurance. If i asked they would of course say yes, in the well trusted thai method of saying anything whether it's true or not. I doubt if they would show me the policy and i couldn't understand it even if they did.

By the road traffic act the licenced driver instructing is in charge of the vehicle unless the learner willfully disobeyed the instructions.

Yes, so? The driving school will still need good third party insurance., so "would depend on the insurance from the driving school. If properly insured it should pay up, just make sure it is properly insured.".

Yes, so? The driving school will still need good third party insurance., so "would depend on the insurance from the driving school. If properly insured it should pay up, just make sure it is properly insured.".

Yes so if unless the student willftuly disobeyed the instructor it is the instructor who is liable not her. So it is his problem whether he is insured or not not yours.

Again: no, no IDP required in combination with home license, provided home license is in English (or pictures) and has a photo.

I can't let that one go. Why do people keep on assuming that their experience in one particular place in Thailand is valid for all of Thailand? For me it was no IDL accompanied by home DL, no provisional (one year) license.

I can't let that one go. Why do people keep on assuming that their experience in one particular place in Thailand is valid for all of Thailand? For me it was no IDL accompanied by home DL, no provisional (one year) license.

I don't think anybody does rely on experience in one place.

But a search of the law, letters to police, to rental companies, to insurance companies etc. do the trick, just search the forum and you'll find all answers.

Your experience at the DLT with obtaining a Thai DL has no bearing whatsoever on the legal requirement for driving with an a IDP or not.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Yes so if unless the student willftuly disobeyed the instructor it is the instructor who is liable not her. So it is his problem whether he is insured or not not yours.

Sure, want to go to the court or police with 'he says, she says', or simply want to make sure all is ok with insurance and you won't have any problems?

In addition, I'm not sure what the insurance for professional driving teachers says.

Edited by stevenl