Does Car Insurance Cover If Driver has No Licence?

muskoka

Discussions viewed on Thai Visa seem to have conflicting opinions.

Some say car is insured, doesn't matter who is driving or their status.

Background: Expat friend and Thai wife arguing over whether to allow 19yo son of wife drive their car. Son does not have a drivers licence, never did.

Car is 1yo Honda with new value over 600,000 Baht, so not a minor issue.

Expat husband says NO, not until he gets his licence. Thai wife says "no problem" and is angry at husband. (Big Chill is on)

Insurance policy is in Thai only, so husband cannot read the fine print but stubbornly refuses to allow unlicenced son have the car.

Anyone???

In general: insurance will pay 3rd party damage, but try to recover from driver. 1st party damage will not be covered.

Yes, in Thailand the car is insured, but nearly always there will be a provision in the policy that a valid DL is required.

• Like 2

A similar issue is whether my tgf can learn to drive in my car. It's a catch 22, she can't drive until she gets a licence but can't get a licence unless she learns to drive. How do thais learn to drive? is there no provisional licence like we have in the UK.

Read the traffic act.

A person can drive a car if accompanied by someone holding a licence for the appropriate vehicle for 3 years ( I think it must be Thai). The licenced driver is considered to be in charge. PorRorBor the compulsory insurance does not rely on a licence but all private insurances do.

• Like 1

I concur with newbie, driving without a licence is illegal and totally irresponsible.

I am interested in knowing an insurance company in any country that would cover an illegal driver.

As far as learner drivers. I couldn't get a valid answer from either my insurance company or the license office.

I opted to have my daughter learn at a driving school. Hoping that was OK. Wasn't that expensive and they did the lot right up to the and including license and driving test.

Good luck.

Edited by newcomer01
  • Like 1

A similar issue is whether my tgf can learn to drive in my car. It's a catch 22, she can't drive until she gets a licence but can't get a licence unless she learns to drive. How do thais learn to drive? is there no provisional licence like we have in the UK.

Send her to a driving school, readily available in Bkk and Pattaya.

No such thing as a provisional license here.

• Like 1

"Car is 1yo Honda with new value over 600,000 Baht, so not a minor issue."

The cost of the car is nothing. Consider the potential cost if the son kills someone, and not just the financial aspect.

I'm amazed that anyone would even consider letting someone without a licence drive their vehicle unsupervised, even in a country where having a licence is such a poor indication of actual driving ability.

See Honda Civic Rangsit girl for details.

I understand the concern the owner of the car has, but it seems for the thais to let kids drive/ride around without a DL is considered no big deal as such a high % of the parents also dont have a DL,

At 13 years old i got 3 months detention center (aka kids prison) along with an endorsement on the DL i did,nt have which expired 2 months after getting my DL,

My parents ripped into me and explained they would have been paying for the rest of their lives financially if i happened to maim or kill anyone.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I sent my wife to one of these driving schools. It was fantastic. I can't remember the basic package, but I paid for more hours and it was worth it. The trainer took her on the highway, around town, etc.

After that, I found a temple that has a large parking lot that's almost always empty, especially weekdays. I had her practice backing up, parking, backing into parking spaces, etc. Worked very good.

• Like 1

As an ex insurance employee, very large international company, No licence for driver no insurance cover irrespective who is driving or has licence. Simple as that, some will tell you otherwise but not correct. An licence from your 'home' country is only valued for three months use in Thailand and must be accompanied by an International Driving Permit ( No such thing as licence) or certified Thai translation which is accepted more than the IDP.

Instead of being mad and feeling she is loosing face and this is Thailand she needs to read the fine print!!!!!! but of course she can't or won't! I would run for the hills with her this is a attitude sign that things will get worse for you in the future.

In a push and shove situation the fine print is this if it ends up in a court of law even in Thailand

No license no coverage.

Underage no license no coverage.

Drink and drive no coverage

See Thais do this all the time... many do not have license for many reasons and when they get stop by the BIB they pay a small fine for a foreigner it is a different story! But when you get into a accident it is a whole different story and Thais do not get it except they feel insulted that we would be so insistent on this issue!

As an ex insurance employee, very large international company, No licence for driver no insurance cover irrespective who is driving or has licence. Simple as that, some will tell you otherwise but not correct. An licence from your 'home' country is only valued for three months use in Thailand and must be accompanied by an International Driving Permit ( No such thing as licence) or certified Thai translation which is accepted more than the IDP.

Not correct, IDP is not required in Thailand provided the home DL is in English and has photo. certified Thai translation is not required.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

Just to say. I have been driving in Thailand eight years. In that time I have made two claims. I have no Thai driving licence but use UK driving licence. Insurance company (Viraya) say "no problem as long as you possess a driving licence". Both times no Thai driving licence (but UK licence) and both times absolutely no problems with making claims.

• Like 1

In general: insurance will pay 3rd party damage, but try to recover from driver. 1st party damage will not be covered.

Yes, in Thailand the car is insured, but nearly always there will be a provision in the policy that a valid DL is required.

Yes, the OP is to be congratulated for taking this stance.

• Like 1

I concur with newbie, driving without a licence is illegal and totally irresponsible.

I am interested in knowing an insurance company in any country that would cover an illegal driver.

As far as learner drivers. I couldn't get a valid answer from either my insurance company or the license office.

I opted to have my daughter learn at a driving school. Hoping that was OK. Wasn't that expensive and they did the lot right up to the and including license and driving test.

Good luck.

Being taught to drive by a Thai?????????? No wonder it's not expensive, does the instructer have any official qualifications?

I understand the concern the owner of the car has, but it seems for the thais to let kids drive/ride around without a DL is considered no big deal as such a high % of the parents also dont have a DL,

At 13 years old i got 3 months detention center (aka kids prison) along with an endorsement on the DL i did,nt have which expired 2 months after getting my DL,

My parents ripped into me and explained they would have been paying for the rest of their lives financially if i happened to maim or kill anyone.

I do not understand your last paragraph, if I had son, any age, and he drove a car without my consent, and killed or maimed someone, there is no way

I would be paying out for the rest of my life, not even for the rest of the month.

If I have Class 1 insurance and legally licensed, and a on licensed driver hit me, am I still fully covered the same as if they were legal?

Yes, I would think so, then the insurance company would then chase the unlicenced driver for their money.

Just to say. I have been driving in Thailand eight years. In that time I have made two claims. I have no Thai driving licence but use UK driving licence. Insurance company (Viraya) say "no problem as long as you possess a driving licence". Both times no Thai driving licence (but UK licence) and both times absolutely no problems with making claims.

Do you live in Thailand? If so, Thai DL is required. If you live elsewhere, home license (provided in English and with photo) is sufficient. As mentioned earlier, after 3 months you're presumed living here.

So if you do live here you have been lucky. If you don't, they did what they were supposed to do.

I've seen an insurance company here pay big after an accident involving two unlicensed motorbike drivers. They were both Thai, of course, and while I can't say with certainty, I believe it may have involved "creative reporting" of the matter by the police. So it can happen, and I'm sure often does.

That said, why doesn't the kid have or want to go get his driver's license? It's not like it's unreasonable to want him to have such. I wouldn't let an unlicensed driver drive my anything - truck or motorcycle. And as an easily sued and clearly foreign looking guy, I generally won't let anyone else drive one of my vehicles under any circumstances. Wife was a bit angry at first. I explained it to her this way: the last thing I want is to have to leave the country because of fallout from a vehicle accident. She stopped being angry.

My wife got her final few lessons with a driving school and passed her test in their car.

Previous to that I myself gave her driving lessons in my own car on the market grounds when the market was in a different area. or the odd large car park,

Edited by dotpoom

I've seen an insurance company here pay big after an accident involving two unlicensed motorbike drivers. They were both Thai, of course, and while I can't say with certainty, I believe it may have involved "creative reporting" of the matter by the police. So it can happen, and I'm sure often does.

That said, why doesn't the kid have or want to go get his driver's license? It's not like it's unreasonable to want him to have such. I wouldn't let an unlicensed driver drive my anything - truck or motorcycle. And as an easily sued and clearly foreign looking guy, I generally won't let anyone else drive one of my vehicles under any circumstances. Wife was a bit angry at first. I explained it to her this way: the last thing I want is to have to leave the country because of fallout from a vehicle accident. She stopped being angry.

I posted about the Thai friend.. unfortunately they were too late in bribing the Thai police to change names and get a payout this way. But yes that happens.

Not correct, IDP is not required in Thailand provided the home DL is in English and has photo. certified Thai translation is not required.

Sorry you are wrong, what happens and what should happen are two entirely different things. Technically as per Thai law a home driving licence is NOT acceptable on it's own. Check the law.