Does Car Insurance Cover If Driver has No Licence?

muskoka

NomadJoe thanks for the informative post confirming my understanding that an IDP is not required if you already have a valid licence in English + photo.

5) It is for the class of vehicle you are diving.

That's interesting. So as I have articulated Heavy Goods Vehicle entitlement in the uk, can I drive the same category of vehicle in Thailand? ..... so long as its not in the course of employment of course. (although that's a different issue and wouldn't affect the legality of the licence anyway).

Back to the insurance discussion:

So what if your vehicle gets stolen by an unlicenced driver who crashes into another vehicle totalling both & killing 2 people? Insurance not going to pay out because he had no licence?

NomadJoe thanks for the informative post confirming my understanding that an IDP is not required if you already have a valid licence in English + photo.

That's interesting. So as I have articulated Heavy Goods Vehicle entitlement in the uk, can I drive the same category of vehicle in Thailand? ..... so long as its not in the course of employment of course. (although that's a different issue and wouldn't affect the legality of the licence anyway).

So what if your vehicle gets stolen by an unlicenced driver who crashes into another vehicle totalling both & killing 2 people? Insurance not going to pay out because he had no licence?

The vehicle category can be especially important for motorbike endorsements. In many countries people can get an endorsement for riding a motorbike up to a certain limit. Since Thailand only acknowledges a full motorbike license, those endorsements are not valid in Thailand and do not allow one to ride any kind of motorbike, even one that is within the limits. This does not stop the practise of course that many people will be able to get a Thai motorbike license at a DLT because they have a limited motorbike license from back home, but that is a different issue.

Your car crash is covered BTW since the act is 'stolen'. And even if that were not the case, the 3rd party insurance would pay, but try to recoup from the unlicensed driver. In both instances up to the policy limit of course.

Some countries do allow this and the IDP, for example, does allow for larger commercial classes, but there are restrictions on who (ie foreigner vs. Thai) can drive certain vehicles in Thailand based on the class of vehicle. A vehicle as you described is going to be registered for commercial use in Thailand, and thus you as a foreigner are not allowed to drive it. (Are not allowed to be licensed for that class) You can tell how a vehicle is registered based on the color of the license plates. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Thailand.

On the second issue, it's as stevenl said. A theft totally negates your responsibility to ensure the person driving your car is legally licensed and will not be an issue for any insurance company, but you can always ask your insurance company to be sure.

Edited by NomadJoe

So if I present an Urdu driving license to a Thai policeman he will legally be able to acknowledge it? He won't be able to read whether it is a cat license or a fishing permit. Or indeed license for driving a tractor

2) It is in English.

At least some of the states in Pakistan appear to issue licenses in English, and they are a party to the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic. So yes, they will be "legally able to acknowledge it."

j97a94351bc971eb5aab6a0cdc84227a6af3.jpg

index.jpeg

preview_html_m4c44fd35.jpg

driving%20licence.jpg

A similar issue is whether my tgf can learn to drive in my car. It's a catch 22, she can't drive until she gets a licence but can't get a licence unless she learns to drive. How do thais learn to drive? is there no provisional licence like we have in the UK.

Sincerely this is a good situation where driving school works perfectly.

I did i and feel it was worth every baht I paid.

And I'n happy with how my wife drives as well.

As already covered in this thread, there is an exception to the drivers license requirement in Thailand for learners

Thai Traffic Act B.E. 2522

Title 3: Driver's License

Section 42

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver's license. The driver must carry the driver's license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request. This does not apply for those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.

Section 56

The owner or driver of a motor vehicle must not let anyone without a proper driver's license to drive the vehicle, except under the provisions of Section 57

Section 57

When practicing to drive a motor vehicle, the learner must be under the instruction of a driver who has had the license for that vehicle for at least 3 years.

During the driving lesson, no other person than the learner and the instructor may stay in the vehicle.

The instructor is responsible for any damage or accident during a lesson, unless it is proved that the learner refused to obey his instruction.

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

The IDP is slowly but surely going away. Many countries now recognize your home country's license as long as it is in English. Most states in the US, Britain, and Thailand are just a few examples of countries that no longer require an IDP. It is redundant anyways as in order to use an IDP, you must have and carry a valid home country license.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1