beware new taxi scam

englandman

Always use Mr T Taxi or Bell Bus.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Now if only the OP had a time machine, armed with that information.

And, please stop these fools who say "it would cost a lot more in a helicoptor, or in my country". We are talking about Thailand. In a Taxi.

Back to the topic,...She may have scammed you, but perhaps if she really wanted to SCAM you, she may have asked for, say, 2000 baht. I'm just wondering why charge, a realistic figure of 1500 baht?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where else in the world can you drive on a highway for 2hrs for $47 US? (an additional comment was edited out by moderator)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Sorry, but that argument, though  often used, is irrelevant. We are talking about here in Thailand, unless you want to bring your own taxi and driver from whereverville.

Sorry to say that I don't think that 1,500bt is over the top for her having to do a 200km round trip. I would be happy to pay that anytime if it included the toll fee's.
But must agree that a price is a price so she should have stuck to it.

They don't do round trips for 1,500 baht. They get return trips for a minimum of 500 baht, organised by the taxi mafia in Pattaya. That's the very reason why the trip is so cheap.

I travel almost every month and never use the public taxi's at BKK airport. I've used Mr T for almost 2 years now, Patts to BKK THB900, from BKK to Patts THB1000 both fares include the Tolls. In the 2 years I've never been let down by this Service.

OK, so you're been lucky, or I was unlucky. I gave up using him because he did let me down.

Toll Posts Removed

Not the Moderator

Seriously though 1.500 THB from the Airport to Pattaya looks pretty good to me.

Imagine what it would cost if she got into a Black Cab at Heathrow and went to the South Coast of UK??

Imagine what would happen to the black cab driver if he tacked on an additional 20 percent to the meter at the end of the ride?

Go on...tell us.....

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Surprised no ones mentioned it yet but it could be a simple misunderstanding of the taxis english skills.

I would hazard a guess the op negoiated his rate in english and not Thai and there lies the problem ?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Surprised no ones mentioned it yet but it could be a simple misunderstanding of the taxis english skills.

I would hazard a guess the op negoiated his rate in english and not Thai and there lies the problem ?

No one has mentioned it because it is highly unlikely

Why would it be highly unlikley ?
Please explain

Please explain

I think the language misunderstanding scenario is a highly likely one. What I see could have happened is the OP said 1200, but she didn't challenge it. This is because she had 1500 in her head: 1. That caused her to not listen and expected he knew the fare was 1500, 2. Misheard it due to lack of language skills with numbers (not uncommon). 3. Fell on the face thing and was embarrassed to ask if they were both talking about the same number, which she knew to be 1500.

• Like 1

Yep i think this is just a case of taxi driver couldn't speak any English and vice versa the OP no Thai. She couldn't be bothered to try and explain the toll way so just paid it and perhaps put a bit on top which is cheeky.

We all know that the police will always side with the Thai national. I can only assume the OP is either a first timer here or stubborn to the system.

1500 Baht all in with tolls is not too bad.

Edited by stephenwithaph

Please explain

Because I've never met a taxi driver (or any seller for that matter) who doesn't put their fingers in the air to denote the price; second "tree (three)" and "fihe(five)" are not often confused.

Third; this sort of reasoning is the first refuge of blame for an apologist; I.e. to call it a "language misunderstanding."

Edited by Eliot Rosewater
  • Like 1

So, are there any scams in Thailand ?, or is it all a misunderstanding ?  I would hazard a guess if the OP was a Thai and not a farang then you and all the other Thai apologists would not chime in.

I haven't done a taxi to or from the airport in years.  When I found out about Bell Bus travel there didn't seem to be a point. < 300 baht for the trip.  I am not in a hurry when I go to Thailand.  The big bus is much safer than a cab driver that seems anxious to test his theories of the after life.  I only bring one carry on so it is easy on and easy off.  I enjoy the 1 1/2 hour drive from BKK to pattaya looking out the window on the bus.  I book my flight so I arrive in BKK at 11 AM in the morning (leave LAX about midnight or 1 AM on EVA air typically).  And leaving BKK at around 5 PM when returning home.

The few times I arrived at 2 AM or I left at 7 AM I of course took a taxi. But with a little flight planning, I don't need to get up at 4 am in Pattaya in order to take a taxi to BKK.  Paying a little more for the air ticket helps pay for itself by not taking taxis.  $10 versus $45 dollars twice.  $70 bucks is measurable.  And I like leaving LAX at midnight.  It is easy to get 4 or 5 hours sleep.

I wouldn't call this a 'scam' rather someone tried it on

However, it's irrelevant if 1500 is 'a good price' or not, the guy agreed 1200. It also doesn't matter how much it costs in Heathrow

I always re-iterate the price, if they say 500 I say 500 back again at least once, maybe twice and get an ok