Farang price, Thai price. What's going on?

Cuddlycat

The dual pricing thing is mostly just in the tourist markets and of course places such as national parks and temples requiring an admission fee. For the former, there's not much that can be done except to be aware and to haggle. For the latter, a Thai drivers license works wonders in getting the better price, you're husband may wish to get one - drivers license office is in Hang Dong.

I've lived here for a long time and although I have bicycled to Bhinping Palace a number of times l never thought of visited it. This afternoon I decided to motorcycle up to the Palace with the misses for the 1st time. I figured heck we're here so let's see the Palace. We go get tickets and see the typical duel pricing. I present my Thai drivers license and the agent said, I had to be Thai to get the Thai price so at the Palace, a foreigner cannot get the Thai price with Thai driver's license.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wonder what you guys think.

I think this topic has been done to death.

People get discounts for loyalty cards, for buying 2-things-get-one-free, for being a senior, for being a child ...

Some bars let women in free but charge men. Some countries offer free or reduced fees for medical and educational services depending on nationality. If you are in Sausalito, over 65 and arrive early at a restaurant you'll be charged the early-bird-special rate. If you clip coupons from the newspaper, you'll get a special price for a can of soup or a loaf of bread. If you buy some things before Christmas they'll be way more expensive than if you wait for the week after Christmas. If you're some noisy, annoying brat who will be a pain in the butt to everyone on board an airplane, you'll fly for half fare. If you're married, in some places you pay less taxes than if you are single. If you're the president of the US and walk into a restaurant, they'll probably feed you for free. If you play for the Brazilian football team and walk into a restaurant in Rio, they may throw food at you. If you buy day-old bakery goods they're cheaper than fresh. It's seldom a level playing field. Get over it.

Stop worrying about loss of face. And anyway, if you're buying something in a market its price is almost certainly negotiable. Negotiate. Walk away. Go to a different vendor. Wait and buy a scarf in Duty Free at the airport departure lounge ... that should be a real lesson in dubious pricing policies.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Just wonder what you guys think.

I think this topic has been done to death.

People get discounts for loyalty cards, for buying 2-things-get-one-free, for being a senior, for being a child ...

Some bars let women in free but charge men. Some countries offer free or reduced fees for medical and educational services depending on nationality. If you are in Sausalito, over 65 and arrive early at a restaurant you'll be charged the early-bird-special rate. If you clip coupons from the newspaper, you'll get a special price for a can of soup or a loaf of bread. If you buy some things before Christmas they'll be way more expensive than if you wait for the week after Christmas. If you're some noisy, annoying brat who will be a pain in the butt to everyone on board an airplane, you'll fly for half fare. If you're married, in some places you pay less taxes than if you are single. If you're the president of the US and walk into a restaurant, they'll probably feed you for free. If you play for the Brazilian football team and walk into a restaurant in Rio, they may throw food at you. If you buy day-old bakery goods they're cheaper than fresh. It's seldom a level playing field. Get over it.

Stop worrying about loss of face. And anyway, if you're buying something in a market its price is almost certainly negotiable. Negotiate. Walk away. Go to a different vendor. Wait and buy a scarf in Duty Free at the airport departure lounge ... that should be a real lesson in dubious pricing policies.

We walked away. We've got the reasonably price. It just never happened to me that the vendors saw my husband pull the money out of his pocket and tell me the price will be different until I told them that my husband always buy stuffs for me. Then we paid the reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by Cuddlycat

Funny post. If I feel I have been quoted a high price, I usually counter with a price that is about 15 to 30% of the price I have been quoted. Funny how that works. It tends to break right through the crap, as the vendor immediately realizes you are not the sucker they thought you were. They ask 800 baht, and I counter with 250. They then say how about 400? It does not always work, but most of the time they are engaging in total BS pricing, it does work. Try it. It helps to be able to find the real price. Assuming the seller is motivated.

Spidermike
Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

you have about ten times the income of the saleslady. You can afford it. Live with it (up to a point of course). You haven't been in Thailand very long, have you?

It is very obvious that the OP has lived in Thailand far longer than you.

Ok you are Thai, that escaped me, sorry. I lived in a tourist area of Switzerland. We locals didn't pay full price for transport, entry to museums etc. This was because if you take a subscription for reductions, it has to be for one year.

I have occasionally lurked in the background while my wife negotiates a price, The only place here where I have had to pay 'Farang price' has been virtually everywhere in Pattaya and the elephant park near Lampang.

I  think the reasoning behind which wallet the money comes out of is that they assume that you don't live in a household with joint, shared, income.

Strange, i havent paid farang price in Pattaya,and lived here 12 years, but can speak a bit of thai and have a thai driving licensec, which i show, to get me thai price.However, there arent many places in Pattaya that you pay farang price 

you have about ten times the income of the saleslady. You can afford it. Live with it (up to a point of course). You haven't been in Thailand very long, have you?

Jumping in and making a fool out of one self cheesy.gif

Ok you are Thai, that escaped me, sorry. I lived in a tourist area of Switzerland. We locals didn't pay full price for transport, entry to museums etc. This was because if you take a subscription for reductions, it has to be for one year.

I have occasionally lurked in the background while my wife negotiates a price, The only place here where I have had to pay 'Farang price' has been virtually everywhere in Pattaya and the elephant park near Lampang.

I  think the reasoning behind which wallet the money comes out of is that they assume that you don't live in a household with joint, shared, income.

Strange, i havent paid farang price in Pattaya,and lived here 12 years, but can speak a bit of thai and have a thai driving licensec, which i show, to get me thai price.However, there arent many places in Pattaya that you pay farang price 

Thenyou never went to  Nongnooch gardens, the Tiger Zoo, Under water world, the Dolphinarium, Siam miniature... no way will they let you in with a hai drivinglicense for Thai price.

Yes of course it is if you read further in the thread. It wasn't obvious in the OP, was it now?

Thenyou never went to  Nongnooch gardens, the Tiger Zoo, Under water world, the Dolphinarium, Siam miniature... no way will they let you in with a hai drivinglicense for Thai price.

I think we're less likely to get the Thai price in places such as Pattaya where there is a concentration of farangs, it's certainly more common in the north for a farang to be allowed the Thai price on the basis of a Thai driers license although there are still some national park holdouts.

Please kill me or close this post. Either one is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am not sure what you mean. Thaivisa reminds me of the most famous Thai online community, Pantip.com

It's a place that people exchange their point of view and discuss about stuffs. Sometime it could lead to argument as people have different point of view. I, many times feel as if my post lead to agrument. But this is how online community works. A discussion which we may like or dislike to hear others' opinion. We can be right, we can be wrong. People can annoy you, you may make some new friend and I've found a good friend from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think the reasoning behind which wallet the money comes out of is that they assume that you don't live in a household with joint, shared, income.

Thenyou never went to Nongnooch gardens, the Tiger Zoo, Under water world, the Dolphinarium, Siam miniature... no way will they let you in with a hai drivinglicense for Thai price.

I think we're less likely to get the Thai price in places such as Pattaya where there is a concentration of farangs, it's certainly more common in the north for a farang to be allowed the Thai price on the basis of a Thai driers license although there are still some national park holdouts.

We all pay more at Tourist spot. We were in Krabi two months ago and eating there is not cheap compare to Bangkok. The good thing is most restaurants offer the same price, same deal (happy hour and promotion) what matter is an you find a good one which a good taste.

When I was in CM looking for a house, we hired someone to take us around. My husband does not interested about snake show or tiger etc... We went to Doi Suthep. The driver knew that I used to be a tourist guide so he asked politely if he could take us to some shops. I told me husband so and he did not have a problem about it. He even bought me a nice purse at some antique shop further from butterfly farm. He was happy with the price and if course everyone is happy.

When we were in Bangkok I took him to temple. Of course the price of whatever people try to sale you in the temple was too much. I just have him some sign that it was too much (almost 100% mark up) my husband would say "no thank you" and walk away.

We will go back to night bazaar again for sure as there is nothing against me there. Just a funny expression I've got from the vendors, that's all.

Life is more relaxing here in CM. I heard birds sing and see butterfly fly all over my house. People are nice and clam.

• Like 1

I hadn't really shopped at the Night Bazaar in about five years.  I went on July 1st. to get my mom something authentic for her birthday.  I went about 4 pm, which made it a lot more pleasant and less crowded, but they were mostly set-up doing business.  It was surprisingly pleasant.  Negotiated a deal from a local artist, and was out of their.  Mailed it to the States the next day, and it finally arrived yesterday, and my mom was quite pleased to receive something from Chiang Mai.

A lot of that stuff we take for granted would make people very happy elsewhere.  The scarves, the ties, even those wicker beer coasters...every home should have a set.  They're nice and light, too.  Now the Nepalese tailor shops......that's a different story.

• Like 1

The dual pricing thing is mostly just in the tourist markets and of course places such as national parks and temples requiring an admission fee. For the former, there's not much that can be done except to be aware and to haggle. For the latter, a Thai drivers license works wonders in getting the better price, you're husband may wish to get one - drivers license office is in Hang Dong.

Go for the 5 year licence,  not the one year probation license they give to tourists. 

You've got to get the 1 year license first & when that runs out you can get a five year one...

Yes of course it is if you read further in the thread. It wasn't obvious in the OP, was it now?

This should be a learning experience for you.

OB

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This should be a learning experience for you.

OB

Why don't you visit a taxidermist and ask for the full treatment?

[quote name="cooked" post="8158114" timestamp="1406443034"][quote name="Oceanbat" post="8158021" timestamp="1406441223"] [quote name="cooked" post="8157100" timestamp="1406426297"] [quote name="stoli" post="8156922" timestamp="1406422181"] [quote name="cooked" post="8152991" timestamp="1406338508"]you have about ten times the income of the saleslady. You can afford it. Live with it (up to a point of course). You haven't been in Thailand very long, have you?[/quote]It is very obvious that the OP has lived in Thailand far longer than you.
 [/quote] 
 [/quote]This should be a learning experience for you.

OB

[/quote]
Why don't you visit a taxidermist and ask for the full treatment?

[/quote]
I guess not.

OB

CM zoo has both, a Thai price and a farang price.....

Having a Thai driver's license may be beneficial but being able to speak fluent Thai can be even better....

The only good experience I have had with being a farang in Thailand is the ability to get a taxi. I recall many times waving down a taxi in Bangkok where the driver will literally pass up 50 Thais waving him down just to get to me..... of course he's expecting a tip....  biggrin.png

Having a Thai driver's license may be beneficial but being able to speak fluent Thai can be even better....

The only good experience I have had with being a farang in Thailand is the ability to get a taxi. I recall many times waving down a taxi in Bangkok where the driver will literally pass up 50 Thais waving him down just to get to me..... of course he's expecting a tip....  biggrin.png

Have to wait a bloody long time before 99.9% of foreigners can get into the zoo at Thai price!

The only good experience I have had with being a farang in Thailand is the ability to get a taxi. I recall many times waving down a taxi in Bangkok where the driver will literally pass up 50 Thais waving him down just to get to me..... of course he's expecting a tip.... biggrin.png

I experience that in Sukhumvit area. My apartment is located in Onnut. I had a hard time finding taxi late in the night once I catch up with some friends around there.

The driver told me that they prefer to pick Farang. Then they can take them to some bar (I forget the name) which opens till dawn. They will get B200/head.

The only good experience I have had with being a farang in Thailand is the ability to get a taxi. I recall many times waving down a taxi in Bangkok where the driver will literally pass up 50 Thais waving him down just to get to me..... of course he's expecting a tip.... biggrin.png

I experience that in Sukhumvit area. My apartment is located in Onnut. I had a hard time finding taxi late in the night once I catch up with some friends around there.

The driver told me that they prefer to pick Farang. Then they can take them to some bar (I forget the name) which opens till dawn. They will get B200/head.

Right, so the assumption is that every foreigner wants to go to a bar instead of somewhere else or home?

Ridiculous quote!

Have to wait a bloody long time before 99.9% of foreigners can get into the zoo at Thai price!

Actually everywhere you go as a tourist attraction, you will pay more for an admission fee or else it will be exception that Thais have no need to pay.

I can't recall if it was that way in Michigan when I was there because I did not go to tourist attraction much, just enjoy the fall and stuck with 6months of snow.

There is no fee for Thais at temple but Farangs. There will be less fee for Thais at National park and Zoo. I tool my husband to CM Zoo and hill tribe which looks like just for show village to me. I pay nothing for every place I go as I still holding my profession tourist guide license.

Right, so the assumption is that every foreigner wants to go to a bar instead of somewhere else or home?
Ridiculous quote!

I did not say all Farangs. That was what "the taxi drivers" told me once I asked why they refuse to take me where I want to go.

It was not my own words. It was theirs.

• Like 2

It all gets down to honesty and ethics. No problem with two prices as we have similar back in calif. The difference is one based on race and the other based on age and residency..

I do appreciate that my thai driver's license allows me to get the thai price as it indicates that I live here - as it should....

Recently I had a discriminatory experience at the insect zoo. The sign said 200B in both english and thai so I assumed that is fair since everyone is being charged the same price - Thai wife and me...

I found out from myThai neighbors that the Thai price is 80B. My guess since we were the only ones there, they have two signs and just switched them. Not only did i pay 200B for me but for my wife also. I should have paid 80B with DR and 80B for wife...

My guess is the cashier shorted the org (giving them 160B) and pocketed 240B for himself. I have very little respect for this type of attitude and behavior...And if not on top of things and call them on the carpet (with shoes off of course) , they will continue to practice unethical and dishonest behaviors..."If I can get away with it I will" is their motto. I get so tired of hiding behind "i am poor" card as their reasoning....

CB

• Like 1