renting a new condo- signing a contract que

hi there

Ive found a new house to rent and it does not have curtains or aircon. A monthly rental price has been agreed subject to the landlord installing these 2 things. Proposed move in date is next month. Obviously most greedy thai landlords want contract signed and deposit paid prior to the jobs being done. If I insist that a clause is in the contact that they will be installed and then it doesnt happen then Im probably still screwed as this is thailand.

Should I play hard ball and tell him that I will come and inspect the jobs done and then sign the contract and pay the deposit. Or should I trust the thai ha ha. I think I know the answer to this question.

I dont want to lose this place as it fits all my requirements and have been looking for ages.

I seek clarification as to whether a rental contract (lease agreement) is worth the paper its written on? Its a private contract between myself and a thai. There is no rental bond board or tribunal here. What am I going to do ... take a thai guy to court? It would be a waste of time.

thanks

I have never had a problem when I and the owner signs a lease at present I lease a house with a one year option to renew at same price before I moved in I asked for a new Refriator and one week after moving in the owner got me one. Always got my deposit back so that just was happened to me

• 1 year later...

This is a really old topic, but I figure I'll ad some advice and information for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation.

It's not uncommon for landlords to ask for a signed contract and a deposit before they spend money on alterations that were requested by a specific lessee. There's some trust involved - but that's the same when you move out and wait for your deposit to be returned. The procedure doesn't seem out of the ordinary. That doesn't mean it's risk-free.

If you're really worried about the installation being done according to your specifications, you could suggest to pay half upfront and the second half once you successfully confirmed the installation according to your specifications.

Archived