Friendly reminder: Your sH** can be stolen if you're not real careful

BeyondME

OK, the trolls will have a lot to run with, but trolls will be trolls, and their idiotic comments will speak volumes about them, so I'm not going to worry about that.

Went to the Klong Thom night market tonight ('second-hand' market in BKK) around 9:30 p.m. With the GF. We'd been looking forward to exploring all around the area for a number of weeks, and tonight was our first real chance to get there.

Found a decent place to park and headed over to Thanon Worachak. The sidewalk was packed with people from step one, and I didn't get 100 meters without an incident. An incident, I might add, that ended our 'adventure' before we had even begun.

I got into one of those 'people jams' on the sidewalk. Pinned in, nobody moving. I felt something was fishy, so I held on to my GF's bag in case someone tried a grab and go. Ironically, while I was thinking about that, someone was carefully slicing open the side pocket on my pants/shorts (zipped closed) and snagging my wallet.

That's right. They cut my pocket down the center with a blade, took the wallet and left my and my GF's cancer sticks hanging precariously in one side of a now two-sided pocket.

Got away with about 2,000 Baht cash and I was left to quickly call to cancel my credit card, bank card, and all that fun stuff. But (*patting myself on the shoulder for not being completely stupid*), I keep my passport and international driver's permit at home and in the car, respectively.

In the end, it's not a huge deal. I have zero cash right now while I wait for money I transferred from an account overseas (no, I'm not independently wealthy, as they say; I've got a very small stash to keep me going a little while, and losing this bit of dough did hurt a bit), but I'm not really worse for the wear.

The reason I'm posting this is just to remind people that those high-traffic, high-tourist spots are *definitely* active zones for semi-pro thieves. I've only ever been robbed twice, now, and both times in tourist spots in Bangkok. Both times in very densely crowded places. This is the first time I had my clothing cut upon with a knife/razor blade. Even pockets with zippers can be easily 'outwitted'. Don't bring all your important stuff with you when you go out (obviously), and the other stuff you need (stuff in your wallet) must be kept somewhere completely inaccessible to the 'cunning' folks.

I'm not angry (anymore). It was my bad. They won. It was a group of three or four people; I know who did it now. Hindsight is 20/20.

If anything angers me, it's the fact that there are so many desperate people in Thailand and *everywhere* in the world that they have to resort to these things. And, yes, I know some of the small-time criminals out there may not be so badly off as those I'm referring to, but I think most of the people driven to such acts are driven to them because of being poor. And I've been poor, and I know how easy it is to hate the world for having to be in that situation, for feeling so helpless. But I've been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to find a way to escape (so far).

I also know that most poor people can't. The system is designed to have a lot of have-nots. And they just don't like it. Who can blame them?

Anyway, keep your wits about you when you hit those busy spots. And be grateful for what you've got, even when you lose a little bit of your stash.

Oh, and trolls, if you plan to overgeneralize and make this about *all Thai people*, I'm preemptively striking against that poor logic. There are people in *every* country who do this kind of thing, people who commit all kinds of crimes, some petty, some heinous. This is not about people of a particular nationality. It's a case-by-case, individual choice thang, and you'll find it anywhere, especially in big cities with lots of tourists, especially in high-traffic areas.

• Like 1

Buy a money clip for a few bucks, keep it in your FRONT pocket, and only cards you need. leave your bulky "please steal me" wallet at home, you don't need to carry it. They rely on Westerners being well....westerners. When's the last time you saw a Thai with a wallet in his back pocket?

Oz

• Like 2

Buy a money clip for a few bucks, keep it in your FRONT pocket, and only cards you need. leave your bulky "please steal me" wallet at home, you don't need to carry it. They rely on Westerners being well....westerners. When's the last time you saw a Thai with a wallet in his back pocket?

Great advice. If they did get my wallet, losing a few hundred, or even thousand baht wouldn't be what I'd miss- it's the other stuff that I'd have to spend hours and days replacing.

• Like 1

Oz

Yesterday...several times. And the day before...and the day before that.

Thai men in my city often have a wallet in the back pocket.

Not that I have a habit of looking at men's bottoms, it's just noticeable.

Why do people insist on carrying a wallet with everything inside it?

What do you keep in your wallet?

I keep cash, bank cards and my drivers licence.

Remember when all your buddies' wallets had that round dent from the 5 year old condom?

Edited by impulse

What do you keep in your wallet?

I keep cash, bank cards and my drivers licence.

Remember when all your buddies' wallets had that round dent from the 5 year old condom?

I only ever carried one incase I fancied cracking a posh one off.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What is in your wallet? Samuel l. Jackson commercial,

No words of wisdom here to dispense, however, when it comes to pick pockets,

the world full of them, some counties more some less, and any traveler worth his

salt knows, keep your belonging safe, no matter where you are...

• Like 2

Sorry for your hassle, but thanks for the reminder to not relax or get complacent and always be vigilant for this kind of thing.

as for people being poor -a lot has to do with poor voted for people who dont want them to advance- its uncanny. poor vote to keep themselves poor.

Not to troll you or anything but what made you think somebody can grab your gf's handbag and run in such an overcrowded area?

In a very big most part of the cases, all the thefts happen in tourist areas, which I dont even consider to go to. And as many others have said, the wallet should not be in the rear pocket, which also will cause you spinal damage in the long run if you have the habit of sitting down with a wallet in your butt.

I guess you are the kind of troll op was alluding to. He said he was carrying his cash and cards, not 'everything'. So what do you suggest then Sherlock? Cash in this pocket, credit card in that pocket, cash card in the other, driving license in the other, motorbike license in the other... etc etc. Duh! All are needed when out shopping, what isn't needed is stoopid comments. The best one can do in a jam is, as already mentioned, place a hand over that pocket.
  • Like 2

''OK, the trolls will have a lot to run with, but trolls will be trolls, and their idiotic comments will speak volumes about them, so I'm not going to worry about that.''

It sounds like you are worried about it

Maybe it was a Troll that stole his wallet.

Not as sophisticated as the Bosnian's were in London when they first arrived. They would open any zip, buttons or sticky patches, remove wallet or purse, take out only the cash and return to pocket or handbag. Victim would discover later and Police would tell them no chance to recover cash, as unless you have all the numbers we can't arrest anyone just for carrying cash. When they did stop them they had only 30 or 40 quid on them as the rest had already been passed on. This is how you get treated by people you are giving safe refuge to from other countries.

Over a period of five years it was estimated that 10 million pounds had been stolen by these gangs, which led to London becoming the City with most camera's tracking each and every one of us that walked the streets. Will Bangkok become similar ? Doubtful; as nobody cares enough !

Over a period of five years it was estimated that 10 million pounds had been stolen by these gangs, which led to London becoming the City with most camera's tracking each and every one of us that walked the streets.

That was down to the IRA!

Worrying I always carry my wallet in the front pocket and nearly all my casual pants have a button / clips on them.. Slicing them with a knife they are good.

Every now and then I take all the important stuff out if my wallet encase I loose it. Funny how it sneaks back in there.

Edited by wow64
  • Like 1

Although I have not used it in Thailand, but have in other places I worked in, I have a very flat "money belt" which you wear under your clothes, keep your emergency cash, atm cards & DL in it, have the "working cash" for the day evening split between two front pockets in your trousers and leave the wallet at home.

I do cringe when I see tourist's and other people carrying their stuff in "bum bags" or fanny packs as the colonial cousins call them, so easy for your sh*t to be stolen

Edited by Soutpeel

Western conditioning.

When I walk about Bangkok or Pattaya at night, I have about 3000 Baht down my sock, a wallet stuffed with paper in my pocket, and as far as I know, no one has even attempted to steal it. If someone ever does manage to steal the wallet, the next time I will put fishing hooks in it.

On the other hand, when I go out through the day. I always keep money, bank cards etc, in a money belt. It's a lot safer than a wallet in your pocket.

I've heard of this kind of thing many times before.

They work in teams, often on escalators and other busy areas where moving people can be manipulated to slow down or stop.

These people aren't forced to do this to survive, they do it because that's their job as part of a criminal gang and it will pay a lot more than working an unskilled job would pay them for a lot less effort.

My wallet goes in my front trouser pocket. If there's a big busy crowd then I put my hand into the pocket and hold onto the wallet / phone.

Yes, but you can be distracted enough to take your hand off your wallet. Better with a money belt.

• Like 1