Age gap in a relationship, how comfortable are you?

Somsrisonphimai

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You actually don't realise when you're talking crap, do you? While money is important to the upbringing of a child, the presence and tangible input of a father is far more critical to his/her development. There's millions of fathers who get by on modest incomes and yet provide very well for their children. Your angle seems to be that even if the father is just about to die, a bundle of money will successfully compensate for his absence when he's pushing up daisies.

Dismissing advocates of the "normal" family unit configuration as "sheep" just demonstrates the lengths to which you'll go to support a self-serving argument; one in which, as an old man, you can run around Thailand reliving your youth by exploiting young local women by paying peanuts for it.

Dunno if you've got a daughter but, tell us, would you be ok if she told you a 75 yr old bandy-legged bum knocked her up and she intended to have it?

Your ridiculous narrow-minded views and responses don't warrant any further replies from me. Pointless.

The man is suffering a bad case of jealousy.  I'm a father and the only thing I care about is; will my daughter be happy and healthy.  I don't care who her husband is.  I'd prefer older and settled with the financial ability to take care of her.

My ex wife married a rich old guy it's one of the reasons I can live in Thailand and not worry about her.  She was a trophy wife and got what she wanted from me and moved on.  Good for her.  I've got what I want, a hot young Thai women and she has what she wants a rich old guy.  Who really cares?   

I'm very comfortable seeing other people with a large age gap in their relationship - I assume it works for both parties on some level.  Love at best, employment at worst.

For me the half your age plus 7 rule looks about right - but I might review that I live to be 100.

Yep the same rule applies for me , works ok , but I never cared to be judgmental about age as seen many of both sides , if it works for them ok who are we to say ........coffee1.gif   its their problem otherwise ....

You reckon, hmmmmmmmmmm, mid forties. Wish I was back there without your 15 year old brain matter. But hey, yes we are all different in thought but unfortunately you always seem to slag off older guys and YOU have not been there yet. Think you should back off a bit and listen to some music, music really does sort gray cells out, I say this cos you sound like an angry old man, and at 40 odd that is not a good sign. I suggest a musical interlude for you.......

15 year old grey matter, you say? Resort to insults all you like

I slag off old guys who, by virtue of their advanced years, OUGHT to know better.

Why? Because these are the same tools who end up crying into a shandy once their gymslip bride takes them for a fortune.

I'm not 'liking' Cypress hill's posts with an attitude of fiery condemnation angry.png  but with a laugh laugh.pngWhy? Because they're all true. I'm in God's Waiting Room on Phuket and after all these years, still do a bit of a double take when I see some white haired ol' guy riding pillion on his tart de nuit's bike. Or him pointing out they're in big C for food, not to buy a smart 'phone biggrin.png  to his pouting 'girlfriend' haha. And that's another one, when some septugeniarian introduces his 'companion' as his girlfriend, or worse introduces himself as a young Thai acquaintance's 'boyfriend' laugh.png   Lighten up, it is funny.

My opinions are based on my experiences and up bringing.  I am fortunate enough to still have a dad who is alive and well and was there for my childhood is still there for me. 

The damage done is that a fatherless child is less likely to succeed.  Why would anyone put a kid in a situation where that is a likely outcome?  It is selfish to do so.

Anyone who has acquired the financial means to support a kid (for 18 years) will obviously understand the importance of actually raising a kid.

You never seem to respond to points made but go off on another tangent, everything based on your perfect childhood. What about the thousands of young Thai women that have their children out of wedlock, then dump them on a rellie, mum, auntie etc, to raise. Want to comment on the thousands of single mothers in the US, Britain etc raising children in poverty? Yet you seem to single out this one 70 year old who is providing for his child, now and probably in the future, as the most irresponsible of people. It's not a perfect world, accept it.

I will comment on that specifically.  There are millions of people worldwide that have no financial means or desire to actually raise a child, but they have them anyway.  They do it because they are likely uneducated, selfish, or do not think about the consequences.

Suggesting that because millions of others do something wrong makes it right for others to do is nonsense.

The major difference between the person in poverty and the 70 year old in question above, is that the person above does know better and understands the consequences.

Let us look at the factual results and the possible consequences of my being 71 and having a seven year old daughter. She was not the result of an unwanted pregnancy, my wife and I actually adopted her when she was three weeks old. I can almost hear your gasps of disgust, did I not know any better?

Since she was a baby I have been her constant companion I sang her to sleep with English nursery rhymes and ensured that she had access to picture books in English. From a very early age she knew about shapes, colours and the ABC and enjoyed books. Because I was retired I could spend all my time with her, painting and drawing, reading her stories, watching films or just talking all in English, while my wife spoke to her in Thai. Some years ago we moved to a city to ensure that she benefits from a decent private school education a school she still attends and loves dearly.She has been given homework from an early age and really enjoys doing this with myself and her mother

She is now seven and speaks very good English, her teacher tells us that her standard of reading and writing Thai is of a ten year old. Her favourite book now is the World Atlas, which she drags from the book case and we go through the countries her various uncles come from, she recognises Thailand on the map and knows that I come from Greenwich in London. She even knows that we live on planet Earth. She has an inquisitive mind and is not afraid to ask questions.

So apart from giving her all the love and care I could possibly muster I do believe I have given her a thirst for knowledge, an important start in life. I believe a Jesuit saying states, " give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man" not sure if this is true, but I do believe she has been given a good start in not only her education but her outlook on life.

You alluded to the fact that when the child is 18 a 70 year old like me will not be able to go disco dancing with her, very true, but I would hopefully still be able to support her with her further education or any other aims or goals she may wish to persue. Even if I die tomorrow there are financial arrangements in place to ensure her further education through university and beyond. However I do hope to live a good few years yet and I shall continue to love and encourage her in every way possible.

Of course I shall die while she is relatively young, she will have to deal with that as do any children that have lost parents, however she will still have her mother who is much younger than me, and some wonderful memories of a very happy childhood.

The consequences may not be so dire as you like to predict.

As an aside and to get back on topic. When I am out with my family a much younger wife and an infant Thais do not sneer at me and the wife but are mesmerised by the tiny Thai girl conversing with me in English. Some older Thai women have approached my wife in Robinsons and asked if the child speaks Thai.

That is very commendable for you to adopt a daughter and and take good care of her and make sure she has as good an upbringing as she can.  Do you really think you are the norm for such relationships which we are comparing?  You took a orphan and gave her a better home than she would have gotten 99% of the time.  There is a big difference in between that and what I was comparing to. 

I took your post seriously until the part about disco dancing with her when she is 18.  You think that is what is missing from a normal childhood?

My opinions are based on my experiences and up bringing.  I am fortunate enough to still have a dad who is alive and well and was there for my childhood is still there for me. 

The damage done is that a fatherless child is less likely to succeed.  Why would anyone put a kid in a situation where that is a likely outcome?  It is selfish to do so.

Anyone who has acquired the financial means to support a kid (for 18 years) will obviously understand the importance of actually raising a kid.

The 24 million American sons and daughters growing up without fathers are not all doomed.

Successful men who have grown up without a father: President Obama and Bill Clinton, for two easy examples. I could also mention Aristotle, John Hancock, Gerald Ford, Thomas Jefferson, Frederick Douglas, Stephen King and a fraternity of other historical heroes.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/06/03/what-are-fathers-for/when-children-are-better-off-fatherless

The article referenced above is about women who would make a positive impact on their kids life if they left their abusive husbands.  Man you guys are grasping to make a point.

President Obama and Bill Clinton, for two easy examples. I could also mention Aristotle, John Hancock, Gerald Ford, Thomas Jefferson, Frederick Douglas, Stephen King and a fraternity of other historical heroes grew up without fathers.  Hardly grasping at straws.

8 cases of extreme success over 24 million fatherless children...and that applies exactly how?

Here's an equally relevant statistic....fatherless boys have a 37.5% chance to become an American President (based on information above)

15 year old grey matter, you say? Resort to insults all you like

I slag off old guys who, by virtue of their advanced years, OUGHT to know better.

Why? Because these are the same tools who end up crying into a shandy once their gymslip bride takes them for a fortune.

I'm not 'liking' Cypress hill's posts with an attitude of fiery condemnation angry.png  but with a laugh laugh.pngWhy? Because they're all true. I'm in God's Waiting Room on Phuket and after all these years, still do a bit of a double take when I see some white haired ol' guy riding pillion on his tart de nuit's bike. Or him pointing out they're in big C for food, not to buy a smart 'phone biggrin.png  to his pouting 'girlfriend' haha. And that's another one, when some septugeniarian introduces his 'companion' as his girlfriend, or worse introduces himself as a young Thai acquaintance's 'boyfriend' laugh.png   Lighten up, it is funny.

He is not accurate.  Check out the flying club's average age.  It's the boys who have a problem with rejection and relationship failures.  Do you see  a lot of septuagenarians starting threads about young ill mannered lager louts?  

The old boys aren't jealous of the young fellas it's the other way around. 

Old guy leaves bad relationships and ungrateful kids back in the arms of the nanny state and comes to Thailand for the last ten years of his life and lives happily until after comes and then leaves what's left to his Thai honey instead of badmouthing relatives in the old country.  No wonder so many kids and ex's come on here and complain. 

• Like 1

You actually don't realise when you're talking crap, do you? While money is important to the upbringing of a child, the presence and tangible input of a father is far more critical to his/her development. There's millions of fathers who get by on modest incomes and yet provide very well for their children. Your angle seems to be that even if the father is just about to die, a bundle of money will successfully compensate for his absence when he's pushing up daisies.

Many of the men I knew in the west, worked so many hours, they didn't ever see their children.
Many more were divorced with little or no access to their children.
Pensioners have plenty of time to spend with their kids.

Not sure where you find all the normal working guys with plenty of time for their kids.
Your little Walton family fantasy hasn't been in place for the last 30 years anyway.

Cypress Hill is living in some kind of alternate reality ala "Lucy in the sky with diamonds"

C/Hill comes across as a very lonely guy or gal that has been bitten by someone and can't get over it, but can't get over it in a way that he can move on. The guy is more interested in running folk down than looking at his own "hansumness" world. For sure he thinks he will never be an old guy, perhaps fears being an old guy, who knows....whistling.gif ............smile.png

PS....C/Hill, when you are a pensioner and perhaps still wake up in the morning with a woody, what will YOU do about it...?

• Like 1

The 24 million American sons and daughters growing up without fathers are not all doomed.

Successful men who have grown up without a father: President Obama and Bill Clinton, for two easy examples. I could also mention Aristotle, John Hancock, Gerald Ford, Thomas Jefferson, Frederick Douglas, Stephen King and a fraternity of other historical heroes.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/06/03/what-are-fathers-for/when-children-are-better-off-fatherless

The article referenced above is about women who would make a positive impact on their kids life if they left their abusive husbands.  Man you guys are grasping to make a point.

President Obama and Bill Clinton, for two easy examples. I could also mention Aristotle, John Hancock, Gerald Ford, Thomas Jefferson, Frederick Douglas, Stephen King and a fraternity of other historical heroes grew up without fathers.  Hardly grasping at straws.

8 cases of extreme success over 24 million fatherless children...and that applies exactly how?

Here's an equally relevant statistic....fatherless boys have a 37.5% chance to become an American President (based on information above)

In Thailand many children are raised by the grandparents.  I found having folks home and available to mentor me was far more important than the age or sex of the caregivers.   Your point that older parents may die is foolish anywhere but even more so in Thailand where parenting is accomplished in a larger variety of ways than the West.  They don't have many psychiatrists in Thailand because the children are happier and turn into happier adults. 

With 49 Million Americans on Psychiatric Drugs — Renowned Psychiatrist Issues Call for Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal

American children are three times more likely to be prescribed psychotropic medications for conditions such as ADHD and bipolar disease than European children are, a new study finds.

Differences in regulatory practices and cultural beliefs about the benefit of medication for emotional and behavioral problems may explain this dramatic difference, the U.S. researchers added.

Anatomy of an Epidemic Down Under: Psychiatric Drugs and the Astonishing Rise of Disabling Mental Illness in New Zealand and Australia.

http://www.madinamerica.com/2011/09/%EF%BB%BFanatomy-of-an-epidemic-down-under-psychiatric-drugs-and-the-astonishing-rise-of-disabling-mental-illness-in-new-zealand-and-australia/

PS....C/Hill, when you are a pensioner and perhaps still wake up in the morning with a woody, what will YOU do about it...?

I think he will do the same as he has been doing every day of his life so far.

Take himself in hand?

I'm 53 and if the girl is legal with a couple of years on top (20 - 35) then I'm interested. I don't give a hoot what other people think. As long as she doesn't vomit or shows signs of physical revulsion of a 53 year old man then I'm happy to have a bit of fun with her. Treat the girls with respect, have a ready smile, never get angry and don't haggle over the price then everything is fine. It really isn't very complicated. 

I don't know why most of the people responding to this OP do not take it seriously. I am in a 66/36 y.o. relationship. I don't have a problem with our age difference. I have a problem that other people are judgemental about us - as most of the people who made facetious replies to the OP. Sure, I can say that it doesn't bother me what other people think - but that doesn't change the fact that people show contempt towards us. Contrary to what I was told about traditional Thai society having a lot of respect for old people, the reality is that young people in Thailand - much like young people in most parts of the world - are concerned about being modern and hip, about being known to like the trash that they call music, about their modern drugs and being a player and having showy clothes and cars and desireable women - to show they are better than other people. They respect old people who hobble around the village and light incense at the Wat and don't make any noise.

This is the world that exists for me to live in. The values that I knew when I was young, the kind fo music that had meaning - I have no intention of changing them in order to be acceptable to people. I am not going to dress the way modern people dress or try to dance the way they dance, or own a car that would impress modern people. That would be dishonest. I am with my lady because we love each other and we are happy together. I am not happy when people show by their talk or their looks that they think she is a paid woman, or that they could take her away from me. I am insecure thinking about taking her back to the U.S.A. We together would be fine. But her getting through the the visa process to start with - customs people assuming I am taking her to America to pimp her, and we have to convince them we are genuine; and after all that expense and delays and trouble, we would face an American public that would be even more hostile to our marriage than Thai people are. It does not give me any comfort that American women of my age would hate us because they know they cannot compete. It will be a problem that young men think they can take her away from me - and want to try, just to prove how belligerent they are. At the supermarket, at the auto repair shop, at the appliance stores, people are going to be winking and snickering and talking trash. And BTW it is an insult to say, "I wonder how much he pays her," anywhere, any culture, any time. To be belligerent back to them does not make for harmony in our relationship.

This happens to anyone who marries outside of his circle of people, marries a person of a different color, or different religion - being involved with someone whose first language - or second language is different than the locals' .... different social cast, or different sex - there are people who will welcome her and be prepared to love her and others who will treat her like she is "not our kind." A country girl without guile who just wants to be a good person and be happy with her man, not a threat to anyone else's happiness.

The question that was raised is does anyone have advice, from experience, on living in a marriage with a big difference of ages. Does anyone have anything to contribute?

I am sure all the 66 year old grandmas will be falling down in jealousy that they can't have you. You sound completely insane - maybe those viagra are melting your brain?

Some people just don't get it... You are a fool !
It's no one's business who people decide to be with. You sound like a young punk who couldn't impress a hooker with a pocket full of money.
Get a life ! And stop judging others !

Attention replier. Your the fool, you judge Thailand and it's people BECAUSE? Maybe its because you cannot afford a trip over here, Jealousy perhaps? I am 49 years of age, I am British and my wife is 33 years of age. WTF is your problem? Here's an idea, save your welfare cheque and come pay Thailand a visit before you judge.   

I just finishing browsing the some 15 or 16 pages of responses. I am not sure what to make of it. It surely is a dynamic topic and read.

As I read through them a couple quick things jumped out at me.

1) It is interesting that if someone posts that they do not condom the big age gaps that they harshly called "Jealous", "envious", "sheeple" and "judgmental" and that it is always young guys jealous of old guys. Isn't that being a bit of a hippocrit? You call them names but yet you are judging them the same way you don't want them to judge you...Hmmm 

2) If the old guy who is one with a gal very young they seem to vehemently defend their decision with lots of justification which I think could possibly be hiding some inner guilt about it all. If it really didn't matter I would think you would post and that would be that. Why defend what does not really matter to you? Just seems odd.

This thread would be a very good tool to use if you were/are a psych major. Lots of good points from both sides. I have enjoyed reading it. In another 6 months or so someone will pose the same question and this debate will start all over. 

In the end it all boils down to ones personal integrity and values. I suspect a lot of the responses are based on the posters upbringing and values instilled by families. Sure society drives a lot of what happens.

In the end we all look in a mirror, we either like who we are or we don't. Only you know that. 

Edited by JAFO
  • Like 2

I just finishing browsing the some 15 or 16 pages of responses. I am not sure what to make of it. It surely is a dynamic topic and read.

1) It is interesting that if someone posts that they do not condom the big age gaps that they harshly called "Jealous", "envious", "sheeple" and "judgmental" and that it is always young guys jealous of old guys. Isn't that being a bit of a hippocrit? You call them names but yet you are judging them the same way you don't want them to judge you...Hmmm 

2) If the old guy who is one with a gal very young they seem to vehemently defend their decision with lots of justification which I think could possibly be hiding some inner guilt about it all. If it really didn't matter I would think you would post and that would be that. Why defend what does not really matter to you? Just seems odd.

This thread would be a very good tool to use if you were/are a psych major. Lots of good points from both sides. I have enjoyed reading it. In another 6 months or so someone will pose the same question and this debate will start all over. 

In the end it all boils down to ones personal integrity and values. I suspect a lot of the responses are based on the posters upbringing and values instilled by families. Sure society drives a lot of what happens.

In the end we all look in a mirror, we either like who we are or we don't. Only you know that. 

Old guy says to the young guy, "have anyone you want that's legal but don't judge me."  Young guy says to the old guy, "You can only have a woman I think is age appropriate for you." 

What is the same about those? 

• Like 1

Old guy says to the young guy, "have anyone you want that's legal but don't judge me."  Young guy says to the old guy, "You can only have a woman I think is age appropriate for you." 

What is the same about those?  Oh and older gentlemen are old buzzards and bandy legged bums. 

This topic is Stereotyping all Thai because of a few bad apples. Get a life, I am from Liverpool UK and women there will rob you faster than a guy with a gun.. Sort your heads out, Negative people. 

WOW, a sensitive "scouser". It is you that is stereotyping, and surely it is you that should get a life.

Just put it in perspective....how many 20 year old men date women in their 60s?

I can't believe the naivety of some people. The Caribbean islands, Egypt and the Gold Coast of Africa all have a reputation for old widows getting serviced by young guys. Of course the widows are rich and are very generous to the young guys, so don't assume it's just a male thing. I'm sure it happens with well heeled old divorcees in the US and Europe, it just may not be as obvious as in Thailand.

surprised at your lack of comprehension....as I said it is to put it in perspective and I'm referring to the people on this thread.

Why on earth would a 20 year old guy date a 60 year old woman in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter. Unless there's money involved.

Ah, chivalry certainly is lost on you my friend. Have you never considered mercy sex? An old lady can have fantasies too. If you are both unencumbered and she wants to, why not?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Happens in the west also, it's called a sugar daddy.  Sugardaddy.org.  alt=biggrin.png>

xsugar-daddy2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.nQvuYfZS-

Lucky sod............. alt=whistling.gif>

She certainly is.

Many of the men I knew in the west, worked so many hours, they didn't ever see their children.

Not sure where you find all the normal working guys with plenty of time for their kids.
Your little Walton family fantasy hasn't been in place for the last 30 years anyway.

Cypress Hill is living in some kind of alternate reality ala "Lucy in the sky with diamonds"

Yes! And to prove He has a fantastic life, see attached photo of Mrs Cypress Hill.

Yes! And to prove He has a fantastic life, see attached photo of Mrs Cypress Hill.

Boy has this topic generated responses! To answer the question of topic I am comfortable with the 26 year difference in my wife and my age. Don't hide but go around in public and I really don't care what others think. She does not care as well , when we first met I said I think your too young for me and she said age is just a number. She is university grad and from middle class family.  I also have Thai friends (female) that I met in USA (went to university there and owned restaurant) who are 30 years  junior to me and we hang out sometime both in USA and Thailand and neither they or I care what  others think.. If seeing that makes you uncomfortable OP thats your problem.

• Like 1

Not wanting to cause offence but why did you feel the need to tell us your girl had graduated and is from a middle class family?

Good luck to you both but having lived with a farang girl years and years ago who was a company director I certainly didn't tell my friends and didn't really communicate with her. She was obsessed with her social standing. 

I don't know you nor do I wish to criticise you but why add those two little details. Was it to elevate yourself above the guys here who have met bargirls or even ladyboys as their life partner.

• Like 1

Dismissing advocates of the "normal" family unit configuration as "sheep" just demonstrates the lengths to which you'll go to support a self-serving argument; one in which, as an old man, you can run around Thailand reliving your youth by exploiting young local women by paying peanuts for it.

Dunno if you've got a daughter but, tell us, would you be ok if she told you a 75 yr old bandy-legged bum knocked her up and she intended to have it?

Your ridiculous narrow-minded views and responses don't warrant any further replies from me. Pointless.

The man is suffering a bad case of jealousy.  I'm a father and the only thing I care about is; will my daughter be happy and healthy.  I don't care who her husband is.  I'd prefer older and settled with the financial ability to take care of her.

My ex wife married a rich old guy it's one of the reasons I can live in Thailand and not worry about her.  She was a trophy wife and got what she wanted from me and moved on.  Good for her.  I've got what I want, a hot young Thai women and she has what she wants a rich old guy.  Who really cares?

Jealousy?? JEALOUSY??!!  cheesy.gif

Look, I didn't expect my views to be popular on a forum of predominantly ageing, crotchety old men most of whom came here to have one last hurrah with the kind of attractive women they wouldn't have had two hopes of pulling in the West. The reasons for that are so well documented, it's not worth going into.

Much of the breakdown of law and order in advanced nations has its roots in the breakdown of the family unit; mother AND father helping to bring up a child with values but hang on a sec; here's Captain Geriatric, Giddyup who reckons you can do away with all that by just tossing the widow a check from beyond the grave. He sits there talking as if every pensioner in Thailand is actually CAPABLE of leaving a sizeable stipend or lump sum to fund a child's rearing in the event of his death. What a crock of crap . . . a significant number of them can't even afford to drink a shandy outside happy hour let alone provide for a child sired at the ripe old age of 65. 

What a bunch of losers, 40 year old guys who have nothing better to do than try to make the over 60's feel guilty for their lifestyle in Thailand. Makes you wonder why they come to Thailand in the first place if it's only to sit in front of a computer all day spewing venom. Let me give you a heads up guys, it ain't working, nobody feels guilty, and the oldies will keep coming and marrying or cohabiting with young Thai women, so you might want to find another outlet on which to vent your frustrations.

You're all a bunch of complete hypocrites because I have no doubt whatsoever, that YOU yourselves make snap judgments every single day of your lives. 

As I said before, I don't give a damn if a pensioner wants to date or marry a woman/girl 25+ years his junior but I DO give a damn if he bitches about people making snap judgments and perhaps ridiculing both him and his ultra young wife/GF because, I GUARANTEE that that same pensioner will walk around the next bloody corner and make a snap judgment about or ridicule someone else who doesn't fit into society's norms, be they morbidly obese, a burkha-clad Muslim, a katoey, a meth-head or a beggar. 

Grow the hell up. Enjoy your vices but accept that there are prices to be paid for them.

Justify or explain whatever it is you do with your gymslip girlfriends and wives to your heart's content but deep down, in the places you'd rather not peer into too often, it's not the opinions of others that bother you.

It's your opinion of yourself

• Like 1