Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

As if anybody would carry their passport around on a daily basis. I keep mine in the safe when I'm there. A 2K Baht fine (almost zero chance you would ever be caught anyway) is a lot less than trying to get a temporary passport. Or better yet, just carry a photocopy, and then pay the "no immigration stamp fine" of 300baht (damn, inflation!) directly to the BIB.

There is a distinct possibility that the number of random checks will increase now there's enforcement of the 2000 Baht fine.

• Like 2

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live in Hua Hin and they block the main road and ask for your drivers license every Sunday and at various other times during the week. Very common here. 400 baht if you don't have your license and 400 baht if you don't wear a helmet. 

i have been here for six months and i carry my passport and international drivers license with me 24/7 everywhere i go.

I was about to buy a motorcycle and travel around Thailand...

Not sure how this will work now...

Edited by NCC1701A

As with any announcement from Immgration, I am always left with more questions than I have answers...

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

Read it again, please. A certified copy of passport, certified by relevant immigration, or police too I would imagine, is sufficient for tourists.

Get  colour copy of the ID page and your entry stamp and departure card. Put it in a plastic sleeve

And expats having to report  a change in address is very reasonable as is carrying a govt issued ID such as DL.

I don't see why this is considered excruciating?

Edited by EBlair48

First of all, I was previously pick-pocketed in Thailand and lost my US drivers license and my work permit card, in addition to cash, pics,...

When reporting the incident to the Thai police, they just scratched their heads with no degree of emergency.  Shortly after I reported my incident, 5-other families also arrived at the Thai police station with the same story.

So advise all not to carry your original passport.

Secondly, it is "crazy" to expect a tourist to go to Thai Immigration to stamp a paper copy.  If they authorize a paper copy, why not just have them stamp it upon arrival.  

Lastly, tourists don't have a Thai drivers license so this option is of no use. 

Can anyone please clarify these new rules for me...
I'm not living in Thailand and when I travel to Thailand I usually stay in the LOS for a thirty days, I will usually stay in Bkk for a few days before going on to Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Huahin etc. I mix it up every time so it doesn't get boring, on the arrival form I write in the first hotel I stay at in Bkk, there is not enough room on the form to write in all the hotels/location I will be staying at, so from now on will I have to report to the local police station every time I go somewhere new?
What about package tours, will everyone on a tour be required to call in at a local police station when they get to a new destination?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

the hotel notifies immigration

24-hour reporting

Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address. On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address. This applies to both tourists and expats.

It says here that if a tourist moves on from the address that they wrote on their arrival card then they must visit immigration and report their new address! Edited by fastphil

As if anybody would carry their passport around on a daily basis. I keep mine in the safe when I'm there. A 2K Baht fine (almost zero chance you would ever be caught anyway) is a lot less than trying to get a temporary passport. Or better yet, just carry a photocopy, and then pay the "no immigration stamp fine" of 300baht (damn, inflation!) directly to the BIB.

There is a distinct possibility that the number of random checks will increase now there's enforcement of the 2000 Baht fine.

Hey --- Thai Police just got a raise!

Can anyone please clarify these new rules for me...
I'm not living in Thailand and when I travel to Thailand I usually stay in the LOS for a thirty days, I will usually stay in Bkk for a few days before going on to Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Huahin etc. I mix it up every time so it doesn't get boring, on the arrival form I write in the first hotel I stay at in Bkk, there is not enough room on the form to write in all the hotels/location I will be staying at, so from now on will I have to report to the local police station every time I go somewhere new?
What about package tours, will everyone on a tour be required to call in at a local police station when they get to a new destination?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

the hotel notifies immigration

What in my situation am going to stay with Thai partner in their rented accommodation? No hotel

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

First of all, I was previously pick-pocketed in Thailand and lost my US drivers license and my work permit card, in addition to cash, pics,...

When reporting the incident to the Thai police, they just scratched their heads with no degree of emergency.  Shortly after I reported my incident, 5-other families also arrived at the Thai police station with the same story.

So advise all not to carry your original passport.

Secondly, it is "crazy" to expect a tourist to go to Thai Immigration to stamp a paper copy.  If they authorize a paper copy, why not just have them stamp it upon arrival.  

Lastly, tourists don't have a Thai drivers license so this option is of no use. 

That's a good idea and should be made a common procedure- carry a colour copy whan you arrive ,  and get the desk officer to stamp it.

I also think a police station can certify the copy, anyone confirm this?

You do NOT have to report every 24 hours, if you are out of your province for more than 24 hours you must report withing 48 hours. TM 28. This is only if you in HH right now but very likely to be enforced Kingdom wide. In the former United States of America the government tracks your movement 24 hours a day. Like I stated earlier, I have never reportrd to the US Embassy here my address etc. They know exactly where I live. I guess a lot would have to do with whether or not you are "a person of interest" to any of the many "initial" agencies at work here and/or in the states or if your email contained a word that is on the "list" and it is long.

Colour copys af your ID page of passport is "Very, very, illegal anywere
in the world and would attract a hefty fine in itself if not prosecution.

Certainly not for the US.  The State department even strongly recommends making a copy before leaving on an International trip and take it with you.  The Identity and Passport Service of the UK also states copies in either B&W or color are allowed.  So not exactly 'anywhere in the world' is it.

• Like 1

"Colour copys af your ID page of passport is "Very, very, illegal anywere in the world and would attract a hefty fine in itself if not prosecution." That is true for the US passport, I'll still do here.

As I stated, the US State Department website says otherwise.

• Like 2

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Complete and utter rubbish.

To apply to renew a British passport you have to make colour copies of every page including the ID page as part of the application process which is then forwarded to the British government for approval.

It's certainly not illegal to photocopy this page in the civilised world.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

" anywhere in the world..."

is patently false. In fact, US  Passport Office recommends just exactly  what I have recommended , several copies in fact to be kept separately.

Some places will not do a color copy because they are misinformed, or do not want to be liable for whatever reason.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You do NOT have to report every 24 hours, if you are out of your province for more than 24 hours you must report withing 48 hours. TM 28. This is only if you in HH right now but very likely to be enforced Kingdom wide. In the former United States of America the government tracks your movement 24 hours a day. Like I stated earlier, I have never reportrd to the US Embassy here my address etc. They know exactly where I live. I guess a lot would have to do with whether or not you are "a person of interest" to any of the many "initial" agencies at work here and/or in the states or if your email contained a word that is on the "list" and it is long.

Or they have a list from immigration?

"Colour copys af your ID page of passport is "Very, very, illegal anywere in the world and would attract a hefty fine in itself if not prosecution." That is true for the US passport, I'll still do here.

No NOT TRUE

If an alien happens be the house-master or the owner or the possessor of the residence at which he arrives he must make the notification in that capacity, not because he is a foreigner.

So in that case you'd have to submit both TM.28 to satisfy Section 37(3) and TM.30 to satisfy Section 38, right ?

If you arrive from abroad, it is the arrival card TM. 8 at the entry point plus TM.30. If you change residence from another place in Thailand to your condo, it is TM.28 and TM.30. Seems to be overdoing it, but that's how I read the law.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does this include everywhere else? 

Meaning I only have to carry my Thai Drivers Licencse - no need to keep my passport or a copy with me as well?

For all of you Americans out there, my suggestion is to go to the embassy or consulate and apply for a Passport Card. The cost I was charged was $35. It does NOT work just like a Passport Book as it is only good for entering or leaving the US and NOT for other countries. However it is an official document and represents all that the Passport Book does. The card itself will have a different number so you if lost will NOT effect the Book (or the other way around). I am not saying that any member of the local Plod will know what they are looking at... but have a laugh at how they work it out and find out that it is legit!

As far as the 24-hour reporting... yea... that will work! LOL! I cannot get my landlord on the phone or to answer any email that I send them within 72 hours! 

As far as the 24-hour reporting... yea... that will work! LOL! I cannot get my landlord on the phone or to answer any email that I send them within 72 hours!

I suspect this is what it's all about - making people who rent out property do their reports to immigration or pay their fines as not doing the report as a landlord is illegal.

When you make your report if they don't find a matching landlords report I'm sure they will use this data to prosecute and tax them all.

And what about car and motorbike rentals who ask for passport deposit? Is this now illegal?

At least in my case it's always been illegal. I don't own the passport, it belongs to my native country and I'm not allowed to give it to anybody.

Practical solution for long timers is to get a Thai driving license, for tourists .. a PITA, I'd go for a certified copy as losing a passport means a world of trouble.

Wot's a PITA ?