How to report 7/11 staff

edwardandtubs

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, I don't know what it is about 7-11s that bring out the worst in tourists and expats. I used to read the PDN website and it was always full of stories about how some tourist had gone berserk and attacked one of the girls behind the counter over five or ten baht. It usually turned out in the story that the tourist was so drunk he or she (yes, a lot of shes, particularly Russian shes, for some reason) wasn't able to identify the coins correctly. I remember seeing photos. Pretty good action, sometimes.

Get a " 7Card ", put some money in, pay with " 7Card " for all your purchases at "7" nation wide, get bonus points, get your stamps accounted to your " 7Card " electronically, no clumsy stamp handling, no cheating, no small change, hassle free sabai, sabai, welcome to the 21th century... problem solved. Next.

As for those who consider insisting on having the stamps is being petty and mean, over the course of a year my wife and I spend a lot of money at the 7/11s, at least over 3000 baht per month and the value of these stamps certainly adds up over time. It is customers like myself who help keep these stores in business and the staff that work in them employed, plus the stamps are something customers are entitled to and well paid for, this is not charity on the part of the stores.

A bill of 3k in 7/11 would only be 2k in a normal corner store.

Learn to shop elsewhere and forget the stamps.

For example 440ml bottle pepsi/coke, 17bht in 7/11, 12bht in mom and pop.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Why? A few stamps worth less than a satang, much less. Why?

No, the stamps are worth money - in this case 9 baht. A minority of 7/11 staff are running a scam whereby they don't give the customer the stamps and keep them themselves. This could add up to a lot of money over time. It's stealing and she was rude. Why put up with that?

AFAIK they can't be redeemed for cash so they're not really worth money.

I believe you can get some useless product once you've saved up enough of them.

I have seen many Thai people using them as cash to make up the odd few Baht on a bill.

A new employee has just started working at my local 7. The first time I went in there I told her I didn't need a bag as I already had one. She looked at me like I was insane and pointed out that the bags were free. I tried to explain that I like to do my bit to reduce waist, but she just tutted and shook her head. There's an environmental awareness picture of a plastic bag with a cross over it displayed prominently in the store.

The next time I was buying a snack. She told me that I could get a discounted drink for 5 baht with it. I politely declined as I didn't want one. She didn't like this as she started to raising her voice and telling (not asking) me to go and get a drink.

The third and most recent time she just gave me dirty looks throughout the whole transaction.

The rest of the staff there have never been anything but friendly and polite towards me. I try to show the same courtesy towards all of them. I have no idea why this particular girl is so wound up.

you started to chat with her about plastic bags......

I wasn't trying to lecture her or anything. I was just trying to explain that I didn't want one.

Right over your head.

Check out the (now banned) Thai website for alternative usage of plastic bags. whistling.gif

No, the stamps are worth money - in this case 9 baht. A minority of 7/11 staff are running a scam whereby they don't give the customer the stamps and keep them themselves. This could add up to a lot of money over time. It's stealing and she was rude. Why put up with that?

Because you made yourself miserable over a few baht.

As for those who consider insisting on having the stamps is being petty and mean, over the course of a year my wife and I spend a lot of money at the 7/11s, at least over 3000 baht per month and the value of these stamps certainly adds up over time. It is customers like myself who help keep these stores in business and the staff that work in them employed, plus the stamps are something customers are entitled to and well paid for, this is not charity on the part of the stores.

A bill of 3k in 7/11 would only be 2k in a normal corner store.

Learn to shop elsewhere and forget the stamps.

For example 440ml bottle pepsi/coke, 17bht in 7/11, 12bht in mom and pop.

There is a mom and pop two stores down from my 7-11. I go to both. I buy everything I can at the mom and pop (I believe in supporting the locals) but there is simply more variety at the 7-11. Can get Pepsi Max at the 7-11 but not at the Mom and Pop. Both store owners and 7-11 staffers are nice. BTW, the girls in my 7-11 speak better English than the Indians do in the 7-11s back in the US.

I get your point, but seriously, over a measly 9 baht. ???

Come on.. 7/11 staff get paid like .. what.. 30 baht an hour. What a effin joke that is, nothing short of slave labour. I say good luck to them if they get a bit of cream on the side, looking at it from an ethically point, they just getting what they deserved in the first place. "A higher Wage". We should be thankful for these workers that make it convenient for us to have so many 7-11 at our disposal at 3am in the morning, not cry over 9 baht worth of stamps.

Unbelievable!!!

AFAIK they can't be redeemed for cash so they're not really worth money.

I believe you can get some useless product once you've saved up enough of them.

You can use them to buy any product at any 7/11 store. You don't need to save up a minimum number.

At a guess you'd probably be the only farang in Thailand that collects them. I bet so many farangs have just handed them back they now the staff can't be bothered giving them to us knowing well most just leave them. I know I do and prefer not to be given them.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As many people have pointed out, the issue is not only the stealing but more importantly the rudeness. I was at all times polite and calm so it was completely uncalled for. Thanks to those who provided contact details. It's certainly worth a 5 minute phone call.

That five minute call to the US is going to cost you a lot more than the 9 baht in stamps you didn't get.

Anymore?

Have you guys had enough? Lame bunch of sheep. Sure criticize the op for cheapness, donating stamps, what have you? Others have already said it, was it really necessary to repeat for 7 pages? Feel proud of yourself don't you? I give credits to the OP, one man with a principle standing against a whole crowd of sheep.

There used to be a time, when real men stood up for those who were in need. When it comes to calling to the US, everyone starts to mention time and cost. When it comes to insulting, everyone was readily available for donations of dirt cheap stamps and changes. Do it then. Donate to the OP, don't talk without actions.

It's about being a man and standing for what he feels should be right. Doesn't matter today if the staff was a girl or a boy, what age, what class. It doesn't give them the immunity from doing wrong. If today there was no monetary value mentioned in the stamp, more people would have given the topic as righteous or not. Just because it's below 50 baht, does not make it immune to a big deal. Most posters here are not even financially independent yet. Even 1 baht I will respect, it's what made millions for me today.

OP, you have my full support. Go do the right thing. It's people like you who seek justice in this corrupted world.

• Like 1

Have you guys had enough? Lame bunch of sheep. Sure criticize the op for cheapness, donating stamps, what have you? Others have already said it, was it really necessary to repeat for 7 pages? Feel proud of yourself don't you? I give credits to the OP, one man with a principle standing against a whole crowd of sheep.

There used to be a time, when real men stood up for those who were in need. When it comes to calling to the US, everyone starts to mention time and cost. When it comes to insulting, everyone was readily available for donations of dirt cheap stamps and changes. Do it then. Donate to the OP, don't talk without actions.

It's about being a man and standing for what he feels should be right. Doesn't matter today if the staff was a girl or a boy, what age, what class. It doesn't give them the immunity from doing wrong. If today there was no monetary value mentioned in the stamp, more people would have given the topic as righteous or not. Just because it's below 50 baht, does not make it immune to a big deal. Most posters here are not even financially independent yet. Even 1 baht I will respect, it's what made millions for me today.

OP, you have my full support. Go do the right thing. It's people like you who seek justice in this corrupted world.

rofl+mao.jpg

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As many people have pointed out, the issue is not only the stealing but more importantly the rudeness. I was at all times polite and calm so it was completely uncalled for. Thanks to those who provided contact details. It's certainly worth a 5 minute phone call.

That five minute call to the US is going to cost you a lot more than the 9 baht in stamps you didn't get.

Anymore?

I completely agree with your sentiments. You wrote much that I would have expressed myself.

In a country where sick children are abandoned, corruption is rampant, migrant workers exploited & treated like slaves, and where those in power can literally get away with murder; it is indeed impressive to see a man standing up to protect his basic universal rights and demand justice and compensation for his ill treatment.

Perhaps we can also start a worldwide campaign for those fleeing war in Iraq, Libya, Gaza and eastern Ukraine who also cannot avail themselves to 7/11 stamps. Better still, let's lobby for a UN treaty on the 'Right to 7/11 Stamps' so that all in the world will not be treated in such an inhumane manner as the OP was.

I can think of no more worthy nor pressing issue in Thailand, nor indeed the world at this time.

• Like 1

Anymore?

Well said sir. +1

Anymore?

Bahtless in Bangkok. Who would have ever imagined it?

The OP got his information and acted on it (post 170). 80% of the posts here are just plain being disrespectful to the OPs original post and the OP personally.

Mods: How about closing this. mfr_closed1.gif.pagespeed.ce.UuJWYpOV2u. It's just troll bait now.

• Like 1

The OP got his information and acted on it (post 170). 80% of the posts here are just plain being disrespectful to the OPs original post and the OP personally.

Mods: How about closing this. mfr_closed1.gif.pagespeed.ce.UuJWYpOV2u. It's just troll bait now.

Or maybe people are expressing an opinion opposite to yours and you don't like it.

Or maybe people are expressing an opinion opposite to yours and you don't like it.

No, I'm just not fond of 'dog piles' which this has became right out of the gate. Also, the 80% of the disrespectful posts are also off topic which was "How to report a 7/11 staff." Now if the topic had been "Do you think this incident is worth reporting.", then you might have a point.

There are opinions and there is spiteful, petty BS. 80% of what I'm seeing falls in the later category. On that note, I'm out of this thread. Enjoy your OP bashing.

• Like 1

I'm coming to the party late, you know how I love a Cheap Charlie thread,

But more importantly, wasn't aware of the popularity of 7/11s,
Essentially I thought they were just a quick drop-in for condoms and gum,

You mean people go there to actually shop ?? sad.pngwhistling.gif

OP, around the door outside most 7-11 where foreigners frequent, you may find discarded stamps.

They belong to the beggers around the door outside most 7-11where foreigners frequent

I give them all the time its them who throw them on the ground!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I got the 7/11 card.

It comes with a large envelope of free stamps as a gift. I chose the "ASEAN 2014 version."

Very convenient but it does not seem to be popular. Never see anybody else use one. It looks like you have to Flash it to the clerk before purchase or they have to re-enter something so not convenient for them. Plus they don't get the stamps.