HELP! Are ED visas with Rentry Perms now being refused upon return via air to BKK?

HELP!

Just been informed by visa agent there is a 90% chance of being refused entry upon return to BKK from US.

My Ed visa is legit and is up for renewal end of Sept.  All Rentry permits are in order for return to BKK in 5 days time.

With no history of Tourist visas in passport to raise a concern - what could possibly be wrong to refuse my reentry with all necessary paperwork sorted?

After a June trip to Hong Kong with same documents in order  - had absolutely no problems/questions returning to TH.

Anyone dealt with or know of someone dealing with this same issue? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

On Russian forums there have been several reports in the past month of being refused entry at Suvarnabhumi for NON-ED holders with a valid re-entry permit. Not sure if this applies to other nationalities or if this specific mini-crackdown is Russian-only.

The recommendation was to have a letter from your school confirming that you didn't have any classes during the days you were absent from Thailand.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's going to happen or not but it would be only logical that the authorities crackdown on the widespread abuse of Ed-Visas in Thailand.

There has been a crackdown on visa runs and people working on tourist visas so it makes sense Ed-Visas would be next.

I know two guys who have been here for more than 3 years on Ed-Visas to learn Thai and have attended no more than about 3 classes between them in that time.

I knew another guy who was on an Ed-Visa to learn Muay Thai, only this guy was in his late 50's (nothing wrong with that) but was also severely overweight - you just had to look at him to know he had never been anywhere near a Muay Thai ring!

Although, as with all these crackdowns if you're legit you have nothing to worry about.

I don't know if it's going to happen or not but it would be only logical that the authorities crackdown on the widespread abuse of Ed-Visas in Thailand.

There has been a crackdown on visa runs and people working on tourist visas so it makes sense Ed-Visas would be next.

I know two guys who have been here for more than 3 years on Ed-Visas to learn Thai and have attended no more than about 3 classes between them in that time.

I knew another guy who was on an Ed-Visa to learn Muay Thai, only this guy was in his late 50's (nothing wrong with that) but was also severely overweight - you just had to look at him to know he had never been anywhere near a Muay Thai ring!

Although, as with all these crackdowns if you're legit you have nothing to worry about.

IF is a big word hahahahaha.

It does seem that the scared ones are the klddies

If you read the replies carefully you will notice (as usual in this forum) that there is no solid evidence of any refusals at all - as to the suggestion that you might need a letter saying there are no classes at your school while you are absent -B/S! Part of your ed visa stipulation is that you do x amount of hours a year but there's no way immigration at the airport can tell this. You'll have no problem.

Your second last paragraph is very funny. Is it really true?

If you read the replies carefully you will notice (as usual in this forum) that there is no solid evidence of any refusals at all - as to the suggestion that you might need a letter saying there are no classes at your school while you are absent -B/S! Part of your ed visa stipulation is that you do x amount of hours a year but there's no way immigration at the airport can tell this. You'll have no problem.

As I said, there is plenty of solid evidence on Russian forums, of which you are not aware because (I assume) you can't read Russian. I haven't seen evidence of any other nationality affected by this though. 

Here is a nice photo of the Suvarnabhumi detention cell, where some unfortunate "students" with NON-ED had to wait for their flight back home: https://vk.com/samuidaysru?z=photo-12655314_333879578%2Fwall-12655314_115504

As I said, there is plenty of solid evidence on Russian forums, of which you are not aware because (I assume) you can't read Russian. I haven't seen evidence of any other nationality affected by this though. 

Here is a nice photo of the Suvarnabhumi detention cell, where some unfortunate "students" with NON-ED had to wait for their flight back home: https://vk.com/samuidaysru?z=photo-12655314_333879578%2Fwall-12655314_115504

Why were they denied entry?

It has to be for solid reasons just not being students at a school. Perhaps their extensions had been canceled in their absence which would make their re-entry permits invalid.

More information is needed.

It has to be for solid reasons just not being students at a school. Perhaps their extensions had been canceled in their absence which would make their re-entry permits invalid.

I can see an argument that says your ED visa is for you to study, if your out of the country a period of time your then not studying.. Hence the visa in invalid despite it having a re-entry permit. 

A friend of mine re-entered a few weeks ago, he's from the UK, he had an ED visa and had gone back to the UK on a re-entry permit. On the way back in he was stopped and grilled for 10 minutes as to whether he was actually studying Thai and made to write some simple Thai. 

One of the reports did mention the immigration officer saying their visa was "invalid". Now I wonder if it could be caused by the school reporting the student as absent? Especially, in the light of recent news that schools are being visited by government officials, attendance records checked etc.

A friend of mine re-entered a few weeks ago, he's from the UK, he had an ED visa and had gone back to the UK on a re-entry permit. On the way back in he was stopped and grilled for 10 minutes as to whether he was actually studying Thai and made to write some simple Thai.

This is interesting, so it's probably not just Russians after all. All people re-entering on NON-ED visas should be careful now. 

That said I got a new ED visa in London last week, paranoid at my friend's report I had a document explaining where my money came from translated into Thai, printouts of my savings account showing I had enough funds and 40k THB in cash... sailed through without a question and a nice smile from a very friendly guy on the desk. 

Are you talking about an Ed visa with multiple entries? I just wonder because that's what I have and I need to go to Korea in a few weeks for a couple days. My ed visa was issued for different reasons though... I am a student at an American university and doing research in thailand for my thesis project. I am not going to a thai school and the consulate knew it when they issued the visa.

I wonder what they do if you're studying Japanese, cooking, English or may doing a Masters degree?

I can confirm that SVB immigration is definitely scrutinizing every ED visa coming through. They have refused entry to many this week alone. All nationalities. You will be asked to verify the school, course attendance records, and cash at bank to support your stay and this will  need to be a lot more than 20,000 baht. I strongly advise that anyone on an ED visa think twice about travelling if it is not legitimate. You will be denied entry.

• Like 1

I agree there probably has been a lof ED visa abuse. Will be unfortunate if that affects those that use the Ed Visa legitimately

I can confirm that SVB immigration is definitely scrutinizing every ED visa coming through. They have refused entry to many this week alone. All nationalities. You will be asked to verify the school, course attendance records, and cash at bank to support your stay and this will  need to be a lot more than 20,000 baht. I strongly advise that anyone on an ED visa think twice about travelling if it is not legitimate. You will be denied entry.

How can they ask for attendance records if the person is coming to start the course, and has not previously attended a course???

One of the reports did mention the immigration officer saying their visa was "invalid". Now I wonder if it could be caused by the school reporting the student as absent? Especially, in the light of recent news that schools are being visited by government officials, attendance records checked etc.

[background=#f7fbfc]This is interesting, so it's probably not just Russians after all. All people re-entering on NON-ED visas should be careful now. [/background]

A local immigration office could cancel the extension (it is not a visa) which would make the re-entry permit invalid. That is likely scenario if a person absent for a significant period time when immigration visited the school. The extension of stay is based upon attending a school no attendance and immigration has the right to cancel it.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How can they ask for attendance records if the person is coming to start the course, and has not previously attended a course???

Normally the course registration documents will clearly state whether you are about to start the course or not by the date of enrolment.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

On Russian forums there have been several reports in the past month of being refused entry at Suvarnabhumi for NON-ED holders with a valid re-entry permit. Not sure if this applies to other nationalities or if this specific mini-crackdown is Russian-only.

The recommendation was to have a letter from your school confirming that you didn't have any classes during the days you were absent from Thailand.

For what I knew the second reason of the Crackdown is to stop people from Russia, China, Korea and another country and with specific locations too because there are so many, there are private charters that comes directly from poor locations in those countries to specifics towns in Thailand and probably they fear a russiatown or chinatown full of people working illegal or avoiding taxes.

I have one friend who told me that his school is telling students not to leave the country, as it may be likely they may not be able to return. From reading this forum some have been questioned at length so yes it appears some risk is their but I do not know cases of anyone being refused entry yet. Edited by genobkk

I hope I am not to off topic but this crack down was announced before the coup and well informed people can confirm. It is more likely a tactic from Thaksin government to force people to give their money's away to Thaksin"s famous Elite card then anything else. My guess army is not stoping it because it will help rid the country of organized crime. Just presenting some facts as lots here seem to not know the real facts. Edited by genobkk

I hope I am not to off topic but this crack down was announced before the coup and well informed people can confirm. It is more likely a tactic from Thaksin government to force people to give their money's away to Thaksin"s famous Elite card then anything else. My guess army is not stoping it because it will help rid the country of organized crime. Just presenting some facts as lots here seem to not know the real facts.

Must be a smart joke... very funny, thanks. 

I hope I am not to off topic but this crack down was announced before the coup and well informed people can confirm. It is more likely a tactic from Thaksin government to force people to give their money's away to Thaksin"s famous Elite card then anything else. My guess army is not stoping it because it will help rid the country of organized crime. Just presenting some facts as lots here seem to not know the real facts.

Your theory is not impossible, logical even. However, I would not be so bold as to present it as a "fact" and essentially criticising others when in fact, it may well be you that have your "facts" wrong.

Your theory is not impossible, logical even. However, I would not be so bold as to present it as a "fact" and essentially criticising others when in fact, it may well be you that have your "facts" wrong.
The fact part was who ordered the crackdown, and it was NOT coup makers. Saying it is happening. because of the coup is wrong not opinion this visa crackdown was talked about on Thai visa weeks before the coup. Anyway we are off topic and I did post some information to help OP of topic. Not here to troll with the trolls. Edited by genobkk

The fact part was who ordered the crackdown, and it was NOT coup makers. Saying it is happening. because of the coup is wrong not opinion this visa crackdown was talked about on Thai visa weeks before the coup. Anyway we are off topic and I did post some information to help OP of topic. Not here to troll with the trolls.

Sure. Especially the part about "Thaksin gov.t" is very helpful to the OP. Thanks again.

• Like 1