Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can the police jail you if they catch you not carrying passport. I had this problem in Shizuoka city, Japan.

If you got jailed in Shizuoka City for not carrying a passport, did you commit a crime to trigger this?

I lived in Japan over 16 years and was never asked for a passport except when processing through

immigration at the airport.

Foreign nationals in the USA have to carry passports at all times. Does that count as a first world democracy?

@ TV News: Do you have any clarification on the reporting of movements requirements? The way I read the movement reporting requirements they seem completely unworkable.

IE, I live in east Pattaya, same place for almost a year now. As I read the rules, If I went to Ban Chang for the weekend I would have to report to immigration in Rayong Province, and then report again to immigration here in Chonburi when I returned to my home. 

This seems crazy.

The part about the US is 100% bona fide bullshit.

Except it is not:

http://www.cilawgroup.com/news/2014/01/23/foreign-national-in-the-u-s-what-documents-should-i-carry-with-me/

Section 264(e) of INA requires every individual over the age of 18 to carry their “registration” documents with them at all times.   Specifically, section 264(e) reads:
e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d) [where the government issues a "registration certificate" after each foreign national's registration]. Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.
For many people in the U.S., their registration certificate would be the Form I-94 card which is issued either at the port of entry (see below) or upon approval of someone’s extension or change of status (usually attached to the bottom of the Form I-797 approval notice).
It is important to note that effective May 2013, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) stopped issuing paper Form I-94 cards at the port of entry for most foreign nationals (exceptions are certain land entry points where paper is still used).   Under the new and current procedure (more details), most foreign nationals who are admitted into the U.S. have their passport stamped with a notation of the status type and the status expiration date.  

Edited by Furryman
  • Like 1

Hello, the What if: I am not going to do it brigade are out in force.

The law is at it states but it appears some of you think you are above the law and do not have to follow the rules of your host country.  I am not going to!  I will pay the fine.  Who cares what you want to do, I am sick of the way people carry on about the rules and regulations. Can you tell me why you have an attitude such as this?

In countries all over the world you are required to carry your original passport.  Trot off to some of the extremist countries and see how far you attitude gets you and not having a passport on when stopped and checked.  No fines and  I can assure you and their gaols are not very nice.  Honestly, you have more chance of being run over by a bus then you have of losing or having your passport stolen.  Didn't your mummy teach you how to be careful and aware.  Obviously not from the rants on here 

You have elected to come and live in this country, no one invited you so abide by the bloody rules.  You all know what you can do if you do not like the situation.  Everyone came here for a reason but unfortunately some of you brought your poor attitudes and that chip.  Get rid of them both, play by the rules, instead of trying to beat them and maybe, just maybe, you will have an enjoyable time living here.

Only if you are a blind jogger who likes to jog on Sukhumvit in the fast lane wearing a tee shirt that reads, "all bus drivers are pussies"!

• Like 1

Can the police jail you if they catch you not carrying passport. I had this problem in Shizuoka city, Japan.

So far the penalty quoted is 2000 baht. But it doesn't say how many times in a row they can penalize you. Like you taking every step forwards at 2k/pop until your ATM card runs dry.

It ought to be in the law, whatever law that is. Next time ThaiVisa staff go visit the immigration, please do ask what the actual law governing this is.

And if they can't provide the law that states this, we should all donate towards a court case against immigration for enforcing fantasy laws.

I have been here more than 15 years, have a WP and only carry my passport when I travel around Thailand, mainly because hotels require them at check-in. In all this time I have never been stopped and asked for my passport, I even check-in for flights with my Thai driving license.
There is an easy answer to all this bullshit about carrying passports (risky and cumbersome): look like a tourist, or someone that has a proper job, not a scruff, don't do anything illegal and don't drive a bike and you will most probably never get asked for your passport!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is worse than what was reported yesterday. Not at all convenient to be carrying your original passport with you everywhere.

Can ThaiVisa check about the requirements for other major cities?

It's actually the LAW in all of Thailand.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is worse than what was reported yesterday. Not at all convenient to be carrying your original passport with you everywhere.

Can ThaiVisa check about the requirements for other major cities?

It's actually the LAW in all of Thailand.

Can you direct me to where it is written in the law?

Foreign nationals in the USA have to carry passports at all times.

That is simply false.

Absolutely true.

Actually...

Well we're getting nowhere fast. Let's see what the law says:

8 U.S. Code § 1304 - Forms for registration and fingerprinting

(e) Personal possession of registration or receipt card; penalties

Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry 
with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien
registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant 
to subsection (d) of this section. Any alien who fails to comply with 
the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and 
shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or 
be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.
That's pretty clear. My only question would be: how does any authority identify somebody as an alien? Smells of garlic? Wearing a turban? Not likely. The occasional case of ethnic profiling gets a lot of bad press. Furthermore, it's easy-peasy for immigrants to get both bank accounts and state-issued ID. US banks don't make you bend over and spread 'em like they do here. If stopped for, say, a traffic violation, a foreign national would simply show their state-issued driver's licence to the officer, get his speeding citation and be on his way.

Furthermore, there has been some disagreement and wrangling in the courts over whether or not state police have jurisdiction to enforce immigration law (a federal matter). ID spot-checks are extremely rare. Edited by attrayant

I think most of us agree we are not against following the law but the carrying of what is the most important document most of us possess around with us 24/7 is impractical for all the reasons already outlined. 

Maybe if TV has the ability to see clarification from Immigration they may also be able to suggest ways of meeting the law and what the authorities hope to achieve by reintroducing it, what about....

Would it make sense to issue ID cards (for a fee) (Thai DL is only a few hunded baht) for pic, passport number visa details and expires at the same time the visa or extension does.

So in the case of a an expat on extension, it would be replaced at the extension renewal, for Non O will need replacing every 90 days, tourist visa 60 days and so on, Nil cost to the Government but an effective way to have the info they need when requested (easy to check overstayers/bogus visas etc) without causing the obvious security implications by lost or stolen passports.
Everybody satisfied

Gee.

Thanks for that clarification, i think.

Seems you have missed the point, it wasnt't a clarification it just an idea put forward to see if TV can forward it onto Immigration!!

Scratching Hua Hin off my travel list. I usually pop down there every few months too.

I stay at a hotel that is a 5-10min walk from the beach. What the FUCK am I supposed to do with my passport when I go swimming? 

Wouldn't a more reasonable ruling be "foreigner must be able to present a passport in X amount of time." It would solve this issue. Allowing those to leave passport at a hotel and retrieve it upon request.

These rules are getting fucking stupid, really.

It is the difinitve ko of tourism for Thailand.

They basically want to you to replace a passport DAILY, because on the beach you either will soak it with water or sand or have it  being stolen when you are swimming.

Nobody would like to throw a passaport every day and spend the rest of his holiday in inmigration offices.

I had to cancel my hotel reservations in Hua Hin. I dont want my passport to disappear into the sea or the beach or be stolen within few hours.

I have already had my bag stolen twice in the time I have been here, I for one will not carry my passport and will protest my case if caught and fined.

In Thailand protesting for anything  is forbidden. This is not an option.

• Like 1

Ridiculous, not feasible or practical just another way for the BIB to 'enforce' the law to line their pockets...Not that they need a law, they can just make one up, like what happened to my wife and I in Hua Hun, regarding doing a U turn. No sign saying not to U turn, no cars coming in either direction, a perfectly safe manoeuvre was carried out. But it was illegal, according to the traffic police, who was sitting outside the police station. Well, did my wife rip them a new a&sehole....:-)

It is only the Passport that tells anybody if you are legally in the country, no other ID card tells whether you have a Visa or have done you 90 day reporting

That's another point....many still not do 90 day reporting. I'm sure officials will also be looking for that slip (especially immigration officials). Up to 5K if 'caught'. 

I guess the crackdown on overstayers is the reason why only the original passport will do. I guess my trip to Pattaya this weekend will be the first time I've ever taken my passport somewhere (aside from renewals/extensions). I won't b carrying it out on the street with me though!

Replacement of Australian Passports... plus all the messing around

Lost/stolen travel documents One travel document lost/stolen in 5 years A$108

Two travel documents lost/stolen in 5 years A$244

Three or more travel documents lost/stolen in 5 years
The relevant lost or stolen fee is payable in addition to the normal application fee. A$487

Edited by PaulHamon

In every country the rule is the same but who is really going to the beach with his passport and which country is really enforcing this to a fine? How much worth a stolen passport for criminals and have you an idea of the hassles in case a tourist loses his passport? Which tourist really want to lose his passport in Thailand? I hope the police force will be flexible with this rule (as all countries are) especially regarding the fine or is this measure to extort the tourists money ? By the way is extortion not criminal offence? You, who make the rules should put yourself at the position of legit tourists and not treat them as criminals at first... We see that Big Generals are in power... What s the next measure?

"in every country the rule is the same"? Utter nonsense. I assume you are Thai or you would know better.

I am not Thai but can you point me a country where you can theorically circulate without a valid ID ?

Yes! The Uk.

As a Uk citizen I am no obligation at all to carry any form of id except for my own convenience.

About three or four years ago there was discussion about introducing an id card on a voluntary basis but it was quietly dropped on the grounds of cost and after pressure from the human rights brigade and the pro-immigration lobby.

• Like 1

Mostly I never dispute another country's rules, I obey out of respect....but this is totally RIDICULOUS! Take my passport to the beach? No way, would never take my passport to the beach, or kayaking.....would rather pay thb 2,000 than risk having my passport stolen. I go to the beach with THB100 in my shoe, leave everything else at home So what then? THB 100 in my shoe and no ID? They are going to follow me home to see my ID or arrest me? Even in China, I could carry a photocopy with me. No-one expects the original passport, it is insanity, total insanity. So what are they going to do, patrol every beach in Thailand and fine every tourist THB 2,000 for not having their passport with them? Sure, they'll make a ton of money for one season only, then the tourism industry will die. Silly rules, impractical rules. This will never work.

• Like 1

Wow, it's good news for persons using stolen passports to fly abroad.

Because now they will have unlimited chances to steal passports.

Should the officers not think about the risk and problems to be bear by foreigners.

Yes,  Thailand will be the paradise of crime and stolen passports few soon.

Just wait for anyone dare to swim and just get his passport left on the beach (where cops will be roaming looking for 2000 baht bribes, oop s sorry fines).

Tourists will live under a reign of fear and terror, from one side from cops stopping them all the time while enjoying their vacation and the other from the passport catchers looking for their preys.

Welcome to Thailand !

Edited by max72

So, if I go to the beach for a swim, do I take it in the water with me or leave on the beach where it could be stolen (along with other items)?

I'll pay the 2000BHT rather than put up with the s**t of a stolen passport. There goes my Visa attached to the passport! What will immigration do then?

What is wrong with a copy to carry where the original can be produced to police/immigration, from safe keeping, say, within 12 hours or whatever?

The criminals will have a wonderful time at beaches etc. Hope the authorities are getting the messages here. I understand the thinking but it appears not to be thought through clearly!

Interesting about keeping your passport with you at all times,a fellow English Teacher went to Bangkok to get his work permit at the weekend. when he went to pick up his passport and permit the next day he was told that he would have to retun a week later and pick them up. After some questioning the officer said it was now policy that it takes a week. As he lives in the Pratchiup Province lets hope he does land up with a 2000 Bht fine. This very much is one rule for Bangkok another for a different province. perhaps they need to get there brains in order.

It is only the Passport that tells anybody if you are legally in the country, no other ID card tells whether you have a Visa or have done you 90 day reporting

You have a point there. My Thai driving license, for example, shows a passport number which is not the present one, as my old passport expired in the meantime and I had to make a new one. So it makes sense that they would want to see the passport. Fair enough.

But why wouldn't a certified copy (certified by the local immigration office) do the trick ? Many posters underline the fact that carrying one's original passport around at all times is risky, and they're obviously right.

Since the coup, this strikes me as the first measure that's taken hastily, without enough rational planning and thinking, and also with xenophobic undertones in it which I find frankly unsettling.

The new President of Indonesia is probably going to change a lot of things and among them, perhaps, he will make it more easy for foreigners who wish to reside in Indonesia on a retirement basis. If he does, i'm out of here. When Thailand organised that system, it was a clever move and brought in a lot of foreign residents (along with massive amounts of money). I never quite understand how governments expect to get rid of the scum (2%) by giving a hard time to normal people (98%). By definition, the scum will always find ways around the old and the new rules, therefore the only ones truly affected and annoyed will be the people who are perfectly honest, law abiding and cool.

PS. It seems that nobody has said it yet, but THANKS TO THAI VISA, who in this particular instance are remarkably proving their relevance and efficiency.

Edited by Yann55

Why there is not a digital way to get certified passport that we can carry on a cell phone or tablet.
Like bitcoin , the money is here on the net, I can just print a public key on a piece of paper and police can check how much I have.

People who get visa will be required to upload their visa with an encryption key that you will give to police to verify your online passport/visa.

We just live in a retarded world.... Edited by bitcoinman