Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

Particularly good idea for someone going alone on the beach mainly for swimming blink.png

I put my telephone under my motorbike saddle then the key of the motorbike into a little pocket of my swimsuit, on the beach no values at all, an empty bag my towel and of course my clothing. I'd like to ask this Pol.Col an advicerolleyes.gif

The idea is good, however.. does your swimsuit pocket is big and waterproof enough to hold your passport with you when you are in water?

I wouldn't be surprised if the next jolly idea from immigration is to employ stealth divers acting as immigration officers. Catch 'em paperless farangs! 

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Foreign nationals in the USA have to carry passports at all times. Does that count as a first world democracy?

@ TV News: Do you have any clarification on the reporting of movements requirements? The way I read the movement reporting requirements they seem completely unworkable.

IE, I live in east Pattaya, same place for almost a year now. As I read the rules, If I went to Ban Chang for the weekend I would have to report to immigration in Rayong Province, and then report again to immigration here in Chonburi when I returned to my home. 

This seems crazy.

We will have an updated story about this tomorrow. Subscribe to Thaivisa newsletter and you will be the first to know.

Tomorrow will bring some big news, new and old, and surprises for both tourists and expats regarding address reporting. Pretty draconian rules says people we have spoken to.

Subscribe here: http://www.thaivisa.com/newsletter-signup.html

Sorry. Must have overlooked that one. Thanks for the correction.

I have only been working here for a short while, but have always carried my passport while travelling throughout Thailand, along with my work permit.

If this is the law, please could you provide a reference for me? If it was before 2004 when I first started working here, I will understand why I missed it.

For your information, my work permit carries my companies work address along with another 5 additional addresses throughout Thailand, entries on both age 20 and 22 of the work permit.

EDIT: Why would it be Thai labor law that your passport has to remain at your place of work? That doesn't even make sense.

Edited by Tywais
Removed quoted flame

Tomorrow will bring some big news, new and old, and surprises for both tourists and expats regarding address reporting. Pretty draconian rules says people we have spoken to.

Let me take a guess.. full enforcement of Sections 37(3) and 37(4) of the Immigration Act. Welcome to the age of TM.28's.

Foreign nationals in the USA have to carry passports at all times. Does that count as a first world democracy?

@ TV News: Do you have any clarification on the reporting of movements requirements? The way I read the movement reporting requirements they seem completely unworkable.

IE, I live in east Pattaya, same place for almost a year now. As I read the rules, If I went to Ban Chang for the weekend I would have to report to immigration in Rayong Province, and then report again to immigration here in Chonburi when I returned to my home. 

This seems crazy.

We will have an updated story about this tomorrow. Subscribe to Thaivisa newsletter and you will be the first to know.

Subscribe here: http://www.thaivisa.com/newsletter-signup.html

I wiil wait and be second to know. Nice plug though.clap2.gif

How long before road blocks are enforced to trap those without passports. 

I don't think they are doing this for fun. So not long. In 2007 I was travelling in a bus to Isaan a couple of times and got stopped by the Army a few times while in transit. That time it looked like they were looking for illegals, didn't ask for my passport (I think I was the only farang in the bus in all of the trips). It's easy enough to see something like this being resumed in an effort to purge all overstayers and illegals from Thailand.

Since they take a picture of people at the airport, when they enter the country and also report when they leave, then it must be pretty simple to know who is overstaying and who is not.

So why not just post the overstayers on an internet page for us all to report on, when we see one of these "horrible criminals"? Maybe they could even give a cash reward or reward people in "bar-fines"... Report an overstayer and you get 2 free bar-fines!

Problem solved!

• Like 1

It's always nice to know that our passports are now the target of every thief

in this country. The heck with the money we may be carrying...passports are

now gonna be the "in thing" to the crims. Thanks immigration...what are the BiB

gonna do to assist us...since we have no "positive ID"?

Second postulate...what about the tourista's when they have to leave

their PP's at reception in their hotels? What happens when they go for

a walkabout & get stopped by someone purportedly representing the BiB

or the BiB themselves?

Third postulate; what about those of us with PR...do we have to carry our

PP's with us too....or is all that hoop jumping we had to do just dust in the

wind nowadays?

Edited by sunshine51

A post removed for the below rule violation.  Another one and suspension will be handed out.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

Particularly good idea for someone going alone on the beach mainly for swimming blink.png

I put my telephone under my motorbike saddle then the key of the motorbike into a little pocket of my swimsuit, on the beach no values at all, an empty bag my towel and of course my clothing. I'd like to ask this Pol.Col an advicerolleyes.gif

The idea is good, however.. does your swimsuit pocket is big and waterproof enough to hold your passport with you when you are in water?

Maybe you did not get what I meant ?

Particularly good idea (to carry the passport) for someone going alone on the beach mainly for swimming =  sarcastic |särˈkastik| adjective marked by or given to using irony in order to mock or convey contempt smile.png

So to answer your question, of course not! 

i have been carrying my passport with me for the past 6 months 24/7 everywhere I go. No exceptions ever.

i just got my drivers license and was looking forward to not having to carry it anymore.

I live in Hua Hin and they check for ID all over town at various locations. 

If I did not carry my passport this would cost about 8000 baht per month on average.

I drive to avoid checkpoints as best I can.

CRAZY,,There will now be a lot of lost and stolen passports,,,and police ckecking all the time,hopeing to make easy money,,I understand there logic,,But the first thing ,,i always do ,,is put my passport same,,in the deposit box...I think its time for cambodia,,

i dont have a problem about carrying my passport. i can understand that.

but maybe in the future, they might ask us to carry our passports visible on our bodies like tax discs on motorbikes!

this way, they can be sure faster maybelaugh.png

so, if things go this way, one day, i dont get surprised to hear this from immigration: "Foreigners are not allowed to enter Thailand!"

wow out of date, how do you get away with it?.

i have been carrying my passport with me for the past 6 months 24/7 everywhere I go. No exceptions ever.

i just got my drivers license and was looking forward to not having to carry it anymore.

I live in Hua Hin and they check for ID all over town at various locations. 

If I did not carry my passport this would cost about 8000 baht per month on average.

I drive to avoid checkpoints as best I can.

wow you must be really unlucky i live in hua hin and haven't been stopped in 2 years

Since they take a picture of people at the airport, when they enter the country and also report when they leave, then it must be pretty simple to know who is overstaying and who is not.

So why not just post the overstayers on an internet page for us all to report on, when we see one of these "horrible criminals"? Maybe they could even give a cash reward or reward people in "bar-fines"... Report an overstayer and you get 2 free bar-fines!

Problem solved!

Oh Gawd. Hire bargirls as snitches .. wanted posters on Go-Go walls .. Orwell had nothing on the Amazing Thailand!! tongue.png

In every country the rule is the same but who is really going to the beach with his passport and which country is really enforcing this to a fine? How much worth a stolen passport for criminals and have you an idea of the hassles in case a tourist loses his passport? Which tourist really want to lose his passport in Thailand? I hope the police force will be flexible with this rule (as all countries are) especially regarding the fine or is this measure to extort the tourists money ? By the way is extortion not criminal offence? You, who make the rules should put yourself at the position of legit tourists and not treat them as criminals at first... We see that Big Generals are in power... What s the next measure?

"in every country the rule is the same"? Utter nonsense. I assume you are Thai or you would know better.

I am not Thai but can you point me a country where you can theorically circulate without a valid ID ?

Let's just start with the UK. Or you want a complete listing.

"Theorically"....................?

I don't think they are doing this for fun. So not long. In 2007 I was travelling in a bus to Isaan a couple of times and got stopped by the Army a few times while in transit. That time it looked like they were looking for illegals, didn't ask for my passport (I think I was the only farang in the bus in all of the trips). It's easy enough to see something like this being resumed in an effort to purge all overstayers and illegals from Thailand.

It does look like a clear course of action to purge undesirables:

1. Prevent people from staying indefinitely on visa exempt entries and tourist visas
  2. But what's the point of doing the above if people can just overstay as much as they want for a maximum 20k fine? So the next logical move is increasing penalties for overstay.
  3. But how are you actually going to catch those overstaying? By checking passports and introducing toughened address reporting requirements.

This will undoubtedly affect genuine tourists and law-abiding expats, so hopefully those draconian measures are temporary and will be abolished in the future. Meanwhile, prepare for a bumpy ride ahead.

• Like 1

No matter how much we kick'n'scream, bitch etc the law has been clear about having your passport available for inspection at any time, hopefully the status quo is going to be the same that when stopped when in the car, on a scooter or even rarer on foot that the driving licence  or an up to date passport copy of relevant visa along with departure card/ 90 day card will suffice. There have been a number of threads/comments on here by people who have been caught by this law and who have to endure the hospitality of RTP until such time as their partner/friend has produced the passport. My view is to relax about this and see how it pans out as I only carry my passport when I go out of province.

He apologized for the length of time taken saying that they are to scared to do anything on their own at the moment and he has a wife and two children to look after and needs his job. This i think tells the whole story about ID's the army has the police and immigration running scared.

This is the essence of the situation.  Thank you for posting what I'm sure many of us suspected.

is this an existing law ... or is this a new or altered law?
as far as i know, everything has to go through the interior ministry before something new can be applied.

also, no thai embassy in any foreign country has updated their websites about this "no passport fine".

how come that nobody besides that pol.col. seems to know about this?

I called Immigration in Bangkok about 14 years ago

Your anecdote from the good old days of yore isn't really applicable in the current situation.  Things have a changed a bit in Thailand in the last couple of months.

;>

My guess is that eventually things will revert to some reasonable level of scrutiny - but until that time (and none of us know when it will be), all bets are off.

it has been the law for a long time, i carry my passport everywhere because it is the law. the last thing you need is being taken to a Thai jail. That is next. Everyone should get into the idea that Thailand is changing very fast. It is becoming more like the USA. Soon the Thai government will have real radios and computers like America and there will be no place to run or hide. If you have a warrant for your arrest they will know on the spot. If you are not here legally you go to jail. Helicopters, drones, CCTV cameras, face recognition software, advanced communication systems, license plate scanners, RFID chips, just like in America.

You may laugh, but closing soi cowboy and nana in bangkok and the gogo's Pattaya may be coming soon.

it has been the law for a long time, i carry my passport everywhere because it is the law. the last thing you need is being taken to a Thai jail. That is next. Everyone should get into the idea that Thailand is changing very fast. It is becoming more like the USA. Soon the Thai government will have real radios and computers like America and there will be no place to run or hide. If you have a warrant for your arrest they will know on the spot. If you are not here legally you go to jail. Helicopters, drones, CCTV cameras, face recognition software, advanced communication systems, license plate scanners, RFID chips, just like in America.

You may laugh, but closing soi cowboy and nana in bangkok and the gogo's Pattaya may be coming soon.

Where will all the policemen find jobs for their sisters? Never close a cash cow...just piss on us farmers/farang.

Where will all the policemen find jobs for their sisters? Never close a cash cow...just piss on us farmers/farang.

It looks like the army is really breathing down the necks of the police. A couple of weeks ago in walking street I walked in the middle of a swarm of BiB, never seen so many at one time. Something had scared them out and I suppose it is the army. It's not completely out of question the beer bar/gogo scene will be bulldozed. The more clandestine establishments are likely to survive as they are patronized by hi-so Thais.