Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

So, if I go to the beach for a swim, do I take it in the water with me or leave on the beach where it could be stolen (along with other items)?

I'll pay the 2000BHT rather than put up with the s**t of a stolen passport. There goes my Visa attached to the passport! What will immigration do then?

What is wrong with a copy to carry where the original can be produced to police/immigration, from safe keeping, say, within 12 hours or whatever?

The criminals will have a wonderful time at beaches etc. Hope the authorities are getting the messages here. I understand the thinking but it appears not to be thought through clearly!

2000 baht not once, perhaps every two steps there will be cops waiting for us....

On the beach it WILL SURELY be stolen , now it's a paradise for passport thieves and a real hell for tourists.

The destruction of the country is in progress....

• Like 1

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is worse than what was reported yesterday. Not at all convenient to be carrying your original passport with you everywhere.

Can ThaiVisa check about the requirements for other major cities?

I've just put my old (clipped) passport in my wife's handbag so I'm sorted.

I sincerly doubt that's enough, as it will not show your current Immigration Status, but maybe they have means to check / link your old passport number.

they didn't say.... CURRENT PASSPORT.... they said YOUR PASSPORT.

It is only the Passport that tells anybody if you are legally in the country, no other ID card tells whether you have a Visa or have done you 90 day reporting

You have a point there. My Thai driving license, for example, shows a passport number which is not the present one, as my old passport expired in the meantime and I had to make a new one. So it makes sense that they would want to see the passport. Fair enough.

But why wouldn't a certified copy (certified by the local immigration office) do the trick ? Many posters underline the fact that carrying one's original passport around at all times is risky, and they're obviously right.

Since the coup, this strikes me as the first measure that's taken hastily, without enough rational planning and thinking, and also with xenophobic undertones in it which I find frankly unsettling.

The new President of Indonesia is probably going to change a lot of things and among them, perhaps, he will make it more easy for foreigners who wish to reside in Indonesia on a retirement basis. If he does, i'm out of here. When Thailand organised that system, it was a clever move and brought in a lot of foreign residents (along with massive amounts of money). I never quite understand how governments expect to get rid of the scum (2%) by giving a hard time to normal people (98%). By definition, the scum will find ways around the old and new rules, therefore the only ones truly affected and annoyed will be the people who are perfectly honest, law abiding and cool.

Yes ! The scums will always be here and will multiply. The genuine tourists will flee away one by one after this continous racist threats and harassments.

• Like 1

I just do not understand the complaints re carry ur passport.

I carried my original passport from USA to and around in Nepal, five times.

to Tibet twice, once overland.

to Bhutan three times.

to India six times with one one-month continuous stay.

to VN, Lao, Cambodia, Singapore, Manila, Japan, parts of EU including the Cannes Film Festival three times.

My travel included air, bus, long distant taxi (in India! + elsewhere), taxi, tuk tuk, yak, and horse ... all alone.

There are other activities where my belongings were able to be stolen including swimming and beach trips.

I have never lost my passport.   All that travel alone over a 20 yr period and still have them, past and current.

Why?  How can that be ?

I don't get drunk, do not do dope, and watch the company I keep.  I carry passport in a neck pouch or that in a sealed plastic bag.  I could lose it tomorrow, especially after I have written this, but that is a pretty good record.

What is your problem?

In every country the rule is the same but who is really going to the beach with his passport and which country is really enforcing this to a fine? How much worth a stolen passport for criminals and have you an idea of the hassles in case a tourist loses his passport? Which tourist really want to lose his passport in Thailand? I hope the police force will be flexible with this rule (as all countries are) especially regarding the fine or is this measure to extort the tourists money ? By the way is extortion not criminal offence? You, who make the rules should put yourself at the position of legit tourists and not treat them as criminals at first... We see that Big Generals are in power... What s the next measure?

"in every country the rule is the same"? Utter nonsense. I assume you are Thai or you would know better.

I am not Thai but can you point me a country where you can theorically circulate without a valid ID ?

Yes! The Uk.

As a Uk citizen I am no obligation at all to carry any form of id except for my own convenience.

About three or four years ago there was discussion about introducing an id card on a voluntary basis but it was quietly dropped on the grounds of cost and after pressure from the human rights brigade and the pro-immigration lobby.

And Australia and probably other countries as well.

This is worse than what was reported yesterday. Not at all convenient to be carrying your original passport with you everywhere.

Can ThaiVisa check about the requirements for other major cities?

I've just put my old (clipped) passport in my wife's handbag so I'm sorted.

I sincerly doubt that's enough, as it will not show your current Immigration Status, but maybe they have means to check / link your old passport number.

they didn't say.... CURRENT PASSPORT.... they said YOUR PASSPORT.

Question: Does your OLD passport has your current visa and your current permision to stay in there or even (if you do them) your current 90 day report, if not, how are you going to prove that you are not on overstay, as that is what it seems they are looking for.

<Removed>

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

I am currently in Saudi Arabia on a business trip, and I have to be carrying my passport at all times, I have being doing this for the last 14 years, and have never lost nor damaged any of my passports during those years, and yes I also caries my passport in Thailand, and elsewhere I am traveling, I see in Thailand they "only" giving you a fine for not having the passport with you, here in KSA they will detain you until  someone will come with the passport to get you out of jail, and yes they (Police) is checking you randomly in road block and in shopping areas, they have a lot of overstaying and illegal working forces, here which they are deporting in huge numbers. over the last year 2 millions have been deported.

I have been visiting Thailand over the same period of 14 years, and are now living there permanently on retirement extension basic.

I'm living in Cha Am district and therefore are using Hua Hin IM, I have always reported my return to them upon entering Thailand on first working day, upon arrival to replace the 90 days slip.

I have never reported my stay in varies private homes I have visited during my time in Thailand so this is new to me.

For those of us who live in Saudi Arabia full time we get an Iqama, which is a driving licence sized ID card. Much easier to carry around and if you lose it or it has expired, a stamped letter from your company stating it's whereabouts is enough for any checkpoint or police check. Usually when visiting Saudi your also not going to the beach or bars where there is a greater risk of your passport being lost/stolen. 

I'm off back to Thailand next week and whilst I'm in the beach resort and going to the bars etc I won't be carrying my passport and I'll take the risk but when I drive up to the house, I'll have it with me.

I have been based in Bahrain for 14 years, and there we had same type ID card.I have only visited KSA by means of business visas 180 days multiple, my country is kind enough to issue 2 passports so I can send my second passport for obtaining visa to KSA in my home country.

As for the bars yes it is a NO, but as I am in Jeddah, and yes I am going to the beach and also doing diving from boats where we have to deposit our passport and local expats their Iqamas to the coast guards, and surely I would appreciate if Thailand would do the same for expats living here as it would be must easier for all of us to carries a credit card size ID.

My points was that there is other countries there is demanding visitors to have their passport with them all times.

If this is rigorously enforced it's going be a pain for normal tourists imagine family groups being stopped on the way to the beach with a 2000bhat fine each. 

I certainly won't be carrying mine but then again I'm out of here next month after 7 years here, not worth the hassle anymore.

to Bhutan three times.

to VN, Lao, Cambodia, Singapore, Manila, Japan, parts of EU including the Cannes Film Festival three times.

My travel included air, bus, long distant taxi (in India! + elsewhere), taxi, tuk tuk, yak, and horse ... all alone.

There are other activities where my belongings were able to be stolen including swimming and beach trips.

I have never lost my passport.   All that travel alone over a 20 yr period and still have them, past and current.

Why?  How can that be ?

I don't get drunk, do not do dope, and watch the company I keep.  I carry passport in a neck pouch or that in a sealed plastic bag.  I could lose it tomorrow, especially after I have written this, but that is a pretty good record.

What is your problem?

problem is-....several stolen passports already in Thailand and lots of problems in the airport twice because the passport was in a "bad conditions" (because i was carrying it all the time), so it didn't look new. I have been treated like the worst criminal at the airport twice for this reason, threated and insulted. It's not a nice experience.

Talk about over reaction I mean the posters here

why do you say that, to carry passport all the time is simply dangerous and foolhardy 

Do you not think some of the posters here have already twigged to the fact that the BiB might suddenly discover a  new more lucrative pastime  "passports please" ohh you don't have.... 2000  you you and you, makes a far cry from 200 baht helmet fine

As a tourist destination do you take your passport to the beach,  rafting, night clubs

There is a presumption of wrong doing in all of this, we need to check all foreigners to see if they are overstay ??

I think its more than reasonable to inspect what is a archaic third word practice that is bound to be exploited by some

• Like 1

Foreign nationals in the USA have to carry passports at all times. Does that count as a first world democracy?

@ TV News: Do you have any clarification on the reporting of movements requirements? The way I read the movement reporting requirements they seem completely unworkable.

IE, I live in east Pattaya, same place for almost a year now. As I read the rules, If I went to Ban Chang for the weekend I would have to report to immigration in Rayong Province, and then report again to immigration here in Chonburi when I returned to my home. 

This seems crazy.

The part about the US is 100% bona fide bullshit.

Agreed, First world democracy. 5555

a try is always to carry a driver-license and discuss it if caught. a lost or broken passport causes more problems than 2000,- THB.

But the bigger problem arising from us preferring to pay 2k is that when the police realise that this is a nice little earner we will probably be stopped much more often.

• Like 1

Dear Pol.Col.Thanasak,

Do I really need to carry my passport on me when going to my favorite body massage place in Hua Hin? I am getting really worried here as all that splashing and all that foam could destroy my travel document, yes I know it sound silly but sometimes especially after to many lady drinks the girls can get out of control.

Concerned Alien

For all Brits, when applying for a new passport the only way is by post and you need to send the original. The original will be returned, but that will take weeks and when returned it will be cut. So if it is necessary to carry your passport in Thailand at all times then you can't apply for a new one while in Thailand. This applies to all long term visitors....workers, business people, retirees....everybody.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand Edited by paddyjenkins

I have no problem being required to carry ID on me at all times in Thailand. However, carrying my passport with me at all times just isn't practical. What if it gets lost or stolen?

Isn't my Thai driving license and work permit already enough identification?

Or how about giving farangs some kind of ID card same as they do with people from Laos and Myanmar?

And on top of that, the Thai drivers license also shows the (foreigners) passport number and name written both in English and Thai...why make it so complicated?

This is really farang-unfriendly...

My licence doesn’t,  it has my Tabien Bann number on it in both places.

For the record, I will carry my passport with me at all times, just because

I don’t want to pay a 2,000 baht fine; I have better things to spend my money

on thank you. And also I don’t wish to flout the Thai law.

To me it’s no hard ship to carry a bum bag or man bag. I think there is more

chance of getting a mobile phone stolen than a passport.

260 odd posts and the majority of people are adamant that they will not carry their

Passports on them, seems like the BiB are going to be quid’s (bahts) in. doesn’t it.

Just saying like.

Have a Nice Day.

Edited by firefox999uk

Where are all the supporters of this dictatorship who claim it is about reducing corruption. With this single move, Thailand will become even more corrupt as the BIB start to plan their new car purchases while the country will ruin its tourist industry forever. 

Stupid is as stupid does

• Like 1

Why is this only happening in Hua Hin,
Maybe somebody is trying to make big points with the BIG people in green uniforms?
Seems like it's a local thing and the rest of Thai is ok at the moment!!!!

It is fear of the boys in green. Today i went to the police station for them to stamp a form '"proof of existence'' from the German state pension which is to make sure that i haven't died in the mean time. Last year it took 10 minuets a captain signed and stamped it. Today it took one hour,my records were checked over the computer,a new file was made,the missus was questioned about me ( did i drink alcohol ???? did i take part in the village life ??? did i go to the temple on a regular basis ??? ) after which the village chef was summoned by telephone to appear at the station (15km away from the village) He came and was questioned,did i really live in the village,was i a ''good'' person etc.my passport was checked time and time again,the ID from the missus and the village chief was checked,finally a pol Lt Colonel stamped and signed the form.

He apologized for the length of time taken saying that they are to scared to do anything on their own at the moment and he has a wife and two children to look after and needs his job. This i think tells the whole story about ID's the army has the police and immigration running scared.

• Like 2

This is not new, and people seem to be getting worked up about something that might not be as bad as they think. 

I called Immigration in Bangkok about 14 years ago, and asked for and got an interview with one of the top officers.  It was in response to a few stories I had heard about foreigners getting "shaken down" by police at random for not having their passports on them.  I wanted to know exactly what the rules were.

What he told me was exactly what was reported in the Hua Hin interview, so the rule is definitely pre-Junta.

The guy was intelligent, civil, and more than capable of reading between the lines regarding the difficulty in always carrying a passport and the role of some of the Thai police when it comes to enforcement.  The law is the law, and Thailand is certainly not the only country that has it.

To cut to the chase, here was his advice to me:  Keep a current copy of your passport and visa stamp in your wallet.  If a cop stops you, show it to him.  If he says that is not enough, tell him it's all you have on you.  If he asks for money, tell him to fcuk off.  If he says he is going to run you in....say OK (It's the last thing he wants).  As he put it, "Any police officer who brings someone in to the station simply for being stopped at random and not having his passport is letting all the other cops know he is on the take."

I'll add one last comment from the interview.  "There are many corrupt cops in Thailand, but not all of them are dishonest.  That may never stop so long as Westerners keep shelling out money for nothing."

• Like 2

For all Brits, when applying for a new passport the only way is by post and you need to send the original. 

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You do not need to send the original, they make an exception for Thailand. The stipulation on having your passport with you at all times is not a new thing, it just seems that they are now choosing to enforce it. 

to Bhutan three times.

Why?  How can that be ?

What is your problem?

I get drunk quite often and enjoy nights out in Bangkok and Pattaya. So, my passport will stay at home.

Well it may be the law but sometimes the law is an ass.

Having just been to hell and back renewing my UK passport, including a cancelled trip to the Philippines at the cost of non-refundable flights and hotel bookings, there is no way I'm going to risk losing my new passport by carrying it around every day.

Even in Amazing Thailand, the total lack of thinking things through and the possible consequences just beggars belief.

It's all been said above but I'm thinking that the 'powers that be' just don't want farang here any more - they try to make life more and more difficult for the "98%" who do nothing wrong, bring in foreign currency and spend it here, support families and generally integrate into everyday Thai life.

No wonder so many seem to be looking elsewhere now - I would too but being settled with wife and young son it's a hell of a thought to relocate at my age.

I carry a Thai driving licence and have a photocopy of my passport, visa, 90 days etc in my car but original passport is safely locked away at home.

I guess it's too naive to even suggest that common sense should prevail!

• Like 1

a try is always to carry a driver-license and discuss it if caught. a lost or broken passport causes more problems than 2000,- THB.

But the bigger problem arising from us preferring to pay 2k is that when the police realise that this is a nice little earner we will probably be stopped much more often.

the 2000 AND  the bribe which could be 10 times bigger....otherwise they threat to arrest you.

Always the same story. After 10 meters, another roadblock, farang show me your passport, "hey i have just paid the fine 10 meters behind "   "you have to pay it again, farang ! or you prefer to go to jail ? "  and so on.....

If you carry your passport all the time, in 24 hours it will be stolen or damaged

and i had terible experiences with "bad conditions" passports in Thai airports twice: being threated, insulted ,like i was a falsifier....very bad experience.

So, in any way we decide to do, we are going to have problems and a terrible holiday.

Can not wait to see the newspaper article... "Swedish family of 5 arrested and held at the police station due to not carrying passports, not reporting their traveling in Thailand and not having enough cash on them!"...

Welcome to "Amazing Thailand" and the "Land Of Smiles!"

Edited by khunpa

Why can't Immigration just issue a plastic photo ID card with our visa and expiration date? I lived in Malaysia, S. Korea, Morocco and Taiwan and they ALL do this. So damn simple. Sorry ... First time I ever uploaded a jpeg image [attachment=277274:Capture.JPG]

Edited by Mario2008
  • Like 1