Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just an update on any farangs who are thinking of using their old passport instead of their new one, Once the good old HMPO decide to send your new one back to you and in my case its been 9 weeks now and not a sniff off my new one,the old one becomes invalid and you can be in big trouble for showing the police a cancelled passport even if it has many years to run,Mine is valid till November 2020  but once i get my new passport back i will be showing them my old one. its safer and not as expensive if you happen to lose it ( i use that term loosely)  This police colonel is an absolute Barcleys and is talking out of his rear appendage 

You think that the mib know what is a camceled passport ? They also speak english right ? So sad for you, you will learn the truth soon !

Anyway who cares the law in this country when everything is so cheap...

This is worse than what was reported yesterday. Not at all convenient to be carrying your original passport with you everywhere.

Can ThaiVisa check about the requirements for other major cities?

It's actually the LAW in all of Thailand.

Prostitution is illegal too

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So, if I go to the beach for a swim, do I take it in the water with me or leave on the beach where it could be stolen (along with other items)?

I'll pay the 2000BHT rather than put up with the s**t of a stolen passport. There goes my Visa attached to the passport! What will immigration do then?

What is wrong with a copy to carry where the original can be produced to police/immigration, from safe keeping, say, within 12 hours or whatever?

The criminals will have a wonderful time at beaches etc. Hope the authorities are getting the messages here. I understand the thinking but it appears not to be thought through clearly!

What do you do with the other items when you go for a swim?

I appreciate that www.thaivisa.com provided the forum for a meeting to produce this information  with the good Col. but facts remain facts.

In the final analysis, any law in Th. is subject to interpretation by any  particular police officer or immigration official and the application of that interpretation is also  up to that same person.

Ah ok, ita was just a brain fart the col had?

To thairastawoman

Of course they know what a cancelled passport is you knobhead,as you have to get your new visa stamps put in your new passport them present the new passport to the Immigration Department and they will then link your old passport number to your new passport number

This is worse than what was reported yesterday. Not at all convenient to be carrying your original passport with you everywhere.

Can ThaiVisa check about the requirements for other major cities?

It's actually the LAW in all of Thailand.

Prostitution is illegal too

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Prostitution in Thailand is regulated. Follow the rules and you'll be fine.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For all Brits, when applying for a new passport the only way is by post and you need to send the original. The original will be returned, but that will take weeks and when returned it will be cut. So if it is necessary to carry your passport in Thailand at all times then you can't apply for a new one while in Thailand. This applies to all long term visitors....workers, business people, retirees....everybody.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You are obviously not British or have never had to renew a British passport from Thailand. Your post couldn't be more wrong..................sad.png

• Like 2

I'm always trying to follow the given rules, but I really don't like the mindlessly strict rules much.

What would be the problem with a clearly readable photocopy of the ID?

In most cases the rule could be clearly follow, but in case you would go to the beach (or some place where you don't feel your ID/passport safe), surely you wouldn't like to give chance for got your passport has been stolen. Or at least they could make a rule regarding if you don't have your ID/Passport with you that time, you have 1-2 business days to show your passport to the nearest police station or pay the fine. (The nearest station could be any police station inside the country as you could get caught before the weekend but for example by Monday you are already in another city or about to fly back to your country.  

The police could take your details even without passport, and if the police IT is good enough then they could prevent you to cross the border or run away from showing your ID or paying the fine. (Surely with some luck you could be safe until you run into another police check, or until you've trying to cross the border, but if that happens and in police/immigration system you have the mark regarding you didn't show your ID nor you payed the fine, then you could get some serious penalty - unless you have some police/immigration related proof why you couldn't do that yet.)

/* OFF, but related:

Once I've started to make an invitation procedure in my country for my (thai) girlfriend (to live in our house for a month), there I found the same "mindless" rule. At the end of the procedure (after filling out forms, take fresh official documents, paying at least two kind of fees, the whole procedure would take 1 months at least) I could get a paper with a stamp, and that paper (copy of that paper is not enough!) I have to send to Thailand to my girlfriend to start the visa request using that paper also. If anything happens with that paper during posting (or before/after), then I have to start the whole procedure again. They can't even re-print for me and give an another stamp with the same uniq ID.

If that paper with the stamp has a uniq ID, how on earth they couldn't check the validity of that document even by the number only? Even the number would get unreadable but you could tell the exact uniq number they should able to check it's validity.

OFF */

I wouldn't say it is something people can see only in Thailand. Everywhere you can find not well thought rules which they force to follow no matter what. Just wanted to point out I don't want to blame Thailand or Thai people. However I guess once they declared the rules, they won't modify it, even if they will read/see that it has it's own defects. Human pride is mostly more important than accepting the rule had to be modify.  Which again a human related thing, and it's not in Thailand only.

i dont have a problem about carrying my passport. i can understand that.

but maybe in the future, they might ask us to carry our passports visible on our bodies like tax discs on motorbikes!

this way, they can be sure faster maybelaugh.png

so, if things go this way, one day, i dont get surprised to hear this from immigration: "Foreigners are not allowed to enter Thailand!"

tattoed on the forehead would suffice

I need to get an Indian visa thier site mentions following: Processing Time    

• For Non-Thai nationals visa is issued on the 6th working day.

#Some individual cases may require around 6-8 weeks time for processing.

During that period they will keep my passport.

Should I sleep  at the embassy? If so will the embassy send the proper documents to the immigration for hosting a guest?  :-)

I have a solution to your problem : don't go to India

It works for me.

You know this was just an example they are plenty other embassies keeping your passport.

What planet does this immigration guy live on, Pol.Col. Thanasak Vongluekiat, Superintendent of Prachuap Khirikhan and Phetchaburi Immigration.I have a Work permit with all my details on it (which is a current legal Thai document) but apparently not good enough now for I.D. purposes and have to by Thai Law have it with my passport at my work place at all times,so now when i decide to get pissed and then pick up a bargirl from Nana plaza I take my passport with me Yeh no chance This is probably the most sought after document in Thailand for crooks and thieves to get their hands on. And why just farangs what about the Japs and the Nips and bloody Indians Oh sorry they are not called farangs here just us White people.This is discrimination at its best and the sooner we all <deleted> off th Malaysia or a country where we are welcome and leave this country to go tits up the better. I have only lived here for 9 years but the Thai attitude towards us farangs has changed,Lets face it,they don't like us,they don't want us here. This Police Colonel is a total Barclays and i for one will not be carrying it with me at all times.and that included when i go for a dump.   Thailand  Going down faster than a Nana Plaza hooker

"and have to by Thai Law have it with my passport at my work place at all times"

Where do you people find this garbage you are posting? What Thai law?

It is only the Passport that tells anybody if you are legally in the country, no other ID card tells whether you have a Visa or have done you 90 day reporting

No its not.A copy with all relevant pages does the same thing.And if lost----its just a couple of sheets of paper

Particularly good idea for someone going alone on the beach mainly for swimming blink.png 

I put my telephone under my motorbike saddle then the key of the motorbike into a little pocket of my swimsuit, on the beach no values at all, an empty bag my towel and of course my clothing. I'd like to ask this Pol.Col an advicerolleyes.gif

Particularly good idea for someone going alone on the beach mainly for swimming blink.png

I put my telephone under my motorbike saddle then the key of the motorbike into a little pocket of my swimsuit, on the beach no values at all, an empty bag my towel and of course my clothing. I'd like to ask this Pol.Col an advicerolleyes.gif

The idea is good, however.. does your swimsuit pocket is big and waterproof enough to hold your passport with you when you are in water?

I have a driving licence which has my photo, passport number and address on, I report to Immigration every 90days despite living at the same address for 5 years, what more can I possibly do? 

You only have to read the posts on replacing a new UK Passport (when you still have the old one) I shudder to think what we would need to do if it was lost.

I too will risk the fine, its a lot cheaper and hassle free than the alternative.

Is it a lot cheaper.

If I ride from my house down to the beach I often pass three police checkpoints.  That trip could cost me 12,000 THB.

Here is a practical solution for Thai immigration to implement.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747491-practical-solutions-to-the-new-rule-that-foreigners-must-carry-the-orginal-of-the-passport/?p=8174419

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

So what does happen when you send your old passport off to be renewed? No passport for a month or more. 60K in fines?

Fine would be nothing, imagine if you can't prove you have a passport and are legal in country.

As I know this forum is likely checked / followed by Thai authorities also. Wouldn't be good idea to mention the new rule plan and ask people if they can see point which would need to be modify before it will be official? Nobody pride would be hurt, and they could find out defects (and probably get some constructive idea).

The law is the law and I will always obey the law!

But is this good for tourism?
So I will carry my passport to the beach
Suppose we foreigners now become mugging targets?
A new black market trend may start to emerge for stolen passports.
If we have to carry them everywhere we go, then a thief /gang of thieves will know we will always have something very valuable on us?!

I'm off jogging now, must not forget my passport!

Laa gon

Correct Paz Not everyone works here,but i do and i pay tax to the government,so i can put my oar in and correct someone who does not know Thai Employment law,Its a minefield and this stupid new law is what will eventually drive all farangs out of here to Malaysia etc where there is non of this bullshit,which is where i am going to next may to live and work

It is only the Passport that tells anybody if you are legally in the country, no other ID card tells whether you have a Visa or have done you 90 day reporting

A plastic card with a chip / magnet line would be a good solution for those who voluntarily want to buy one to avoid the hassle...

There is very, very little that has been stated by the current authorities that has not been the law of Thailand ever since I first visited the country in 1982.

Where it may appear that new "laws" have been brought in, the enforcement and enhancemeny of those current laws is because of the whingers who have tried to manipulate the immigration laws for their own benefit.   As an example, that is why those wishing to renew married, guardian or retirement extensions have to show the money has been in the bank for three months before the renewal application.

If you do not like the Thais enforcing their laws then go home to your own country and get upset there because you don't like the laws of the country you had a right to vote in.

Neither the Thai nor expat community need you here.   You contribute zilch to the Thai GDP.

• Like 1

I reckon I'm going to breach this rule then and pay up the 2k when caught. Replacing the passport with all it's stamps if it's stolen is a far larger risk.

Have you had things stolen/lost out of your pockets frequently?

I suppose it is a risk, especially for some late-night revelers, but the same thing could be said about driver's licenses, credit cards, cash, insurance id, etc.

I once shared a house with a guy who lost his glasses daily and bought new ones, lost his phone on average every 2-3 weeks, wallet every 2 months,

When i seen his passport sticking out his back pocket i scanned it and gave him a copy then told him not to carry his passport with him, he gave that know it all look and said i was wrong...by law he has to carry his passport,

Circa 1 week later as he was packing and seemed to be in a worse mood than usual about going home, he explained that in a gogo bar on cowboy on entry a girl had asked him something...i guess he did his usual smile and nod of the head but understood nothing,

On leaving the bar he was accosted by the door guys and presented with a bill for 22kw00t.gif

He carried his luggage down stairs after telling me then seemed to go into a panic saying...cant find my passport and of course he had thrown the copy in the bin,

Better we dont judge others by our ability not to lose things, this guy seems to accept such losses as part of his daily life.

Reading this thread, I can see that there is a market for this gadget:

A stand with a wifi webcam pointed to your open passport. The stand has a robotic arm to turn pages and can be operated with app on your smartphone.

This setup remains at home in your secure, locked bedroom. When stopped by police, you whip out your smartphone and show them your original passport, panning and zooming as necessary.

They will be so busy rolling on the floor laughing that they will forget to fine you.

Problem solved.

Who's with me wwww.kickstarter.com/roboticwebcam

T

There is very, very little that has been stated by the current authorities that has not been the law of Thailand ever since I first visited the country in 1982.

Where it may appear that new "laws" have been brought in, the enforcement and enhancemeny of those current laws is because of the whingers who have tried to manipulate the immigration laws for their own benefit.   As an example, that is why those wishing to renew married, guardian or retirement extensions have to show the money has been in the bank for three months before the renewal application.

If you do not like the Thais enforcing their laws then go home to your own country and get upset there because you don't like the laws of the country you had a right to vote in.

Neither the Thai nor expat community need you here.   You contribute zilch to the Thai GDP.

You should worry first about how and when your own "contribution" to Thailand will be rewarded, before blaming bureaucratic changes to the next person or class of people. 

• Like 1