Anger mounts as Gaza toll rises

webfact

This thread is revealing.  The two sides tell a lot about their causes.  The pro-Israel supporters maintain a fairly calm and reasoned tone, while the pro-Hamas posters are rabid, frothing, and fill their posts with obscenities and shouts.  Now, let me say that Israel often irritates me and a lot of Israelis I meet are sullen, suspicious, and obnoxious.  A lot of Arabs I meet are friendlier and even more hospitable.  BUT the Israelis are in the right, here. Stop the rockets and stop the war.  That was possible until the tunnels were used for terror attacks. This thread, filled with such outright anti-Semitic venom and hatred on the part of the pro-Hamas side, really does verge on being a hate sheet at times.  I don't think I could stand to be around people so obsessively hate-filled.  Like I said, a revealing thread about the two sides.  

I'm not sure posters are "pro-Hamas" or anti-Semitic, they're simply appalled at the death toll and suffering of people, particularly the children of Gaza.

You are spot on, MJP. 

I know that if situations were reversed and Hamas was murdering innocent and vulnerable Israeli women and children, I would be as appalled  as I am now.  And I'm confident that many others on these threads are like me.   Despite the best efforts of a few to label us as anti-semitic or pro Hamas,  this is not who we are or what we believe.

I (and others) are protesting the wanton murder of innocent women and children--regardless of religion, ethnic identity or nationality.  That is what we are standing up in protest against--and we would do it just the same if situations were reversed.    Unlike the Israel supporters who choose to blame, dehumanize and mock the innocent children who are murdered in their beds at night.

• Like 2

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to explain it is either Israel has the WORST investigators in the world....or they were deliberately trying to rile people.

This entire tragedy was engineered by Israel to provoke Hamas.  

And by the way, does anyone believe that Israel recently discovered these tunnels?  With all of the technology at its disposal, of course it knew about the tunnels--including their alleged 'sophistication".  Israel knew they could use those tunnels to frighten its populace when it grew weary of its actions, and also allow hold the international community at bay when the calls inevitably came to stop murdering women and children.

As was posted earlier, all Israel needs to do is pour cement down in those tunnels and that would be the end of it.  But instead it chooses to continues to kill innocent women and children. 

• Like 1

Does the FBI take it easy on the mafia, so they don't get their feathers ruffled or harass them as much as possible? They are both criminal organizations that murder innocent people. 

Of course they don't. But they also don't mass arrest for a single crime. 

• Like 2

What does Israel gain from killing innocent women and children? We KNOW what Hamas gains with the pictures of these victims. But I don't see that Israel gains anything. 

Of course Israel doesn't gain anything on the international stage.  But surely you must realize that Israel doesn't care one iota about how it is perceived on the international stage.  It  has brazenly thumbed its nose at the UN for years and is always able to hide behind the apron of the US when necessary.

But if you can't see how Netanyahu gains domestically (particularly with his fellow Likudniks) by continuing the carnage, then you need to better educate yourself on Israeli domestic politics.

Does the FBI take it easy on the mafia, so they don't get their feathers ruffled or harass them as much as possible? They are both criminal organizations that murder innocent people. 

Of course they don't. But they also don't mass arrest for a single crime. 

They don't blow up entire city blocks either. They don't blow up schools and hospitals with women and children inside. Why can't the Israeli apologists wrap their heads around this?

• Like 2

What does Israel gain from killing innocent women and children? We KNOW what Hamas gains with the pictures of these victims. But I don't see that Israel gains anything. 

Israel hopes by its campaign of murder and destruction to drive out all Palestinians from Gaza, 

then it will carry on the same tactics in the West Bank of building illegal settlements and restricting Palestinian movement in the name of security. the end game is to force out all Palestinians into neighbouring country's.

In 1947, the United Nations partitioned Historic Palestine, giving 55% to the Jewish population and 45% to the Palestinian population. The indigenous Palestinians rejected the division of the land on which they had lived and farmed for centuries.

At the time of partition, the Jewish population owned less than 6% of Palestine, and made up 31% of the population.

• Like 1

the lesser-human Palestinians

Is that what you think of Palestinians?

There is no comparison with Nazis. To say that shows you don't know what the Nazi's did in the second world war. Israel is not exterminating the Palestinians if they were then they are doing a bad job of it. Are Palestinians being marched into Gas chambers? 

Distortion is now the addition to propaganda & lies I see.

What the Nazis did was appalling and so is what the Israelis are doing in deliberately targeting civilians.

You Talk about distortion!  

what the Israelis are doing in deliberately targeting civilians.

If they were targeting civilians don't you think the death toll would be much higher than 1400 dead. I Wonder who is spreading lies and Propaganda?

You distorted the meaning of my post. Others understood it clearly.

If they were not targeting civilians, the death & injury toll would be nowhere near 1,000. Today the Bangkok Post reported that the Israelis bombed a market - a new low. People and medical workers rushed to tend to the wounded and remove the dead. As they were doing that another bomb finished them off. All civilians & some journalists too.

The lie about not targeting non-combatants is about as credible as WMD in Iraq.

I understood your post. I was showing you that Hamas have 25000 fighters, don't you think that if Israel was deliberately targeting  civilians the death toll would be higher. the way your post reads you seem to be tryng to say the death toll would or should be lower!  SO, again who is doing the fighting for Hamas.

DO you know how many Hamas fighters have been killed?

Ulysses G., you have so much anger in you

I have read your posts. This is another case of the pot calling the kettle black. However, at least my posts are historically accurate. You can not justify the same reasoning.

9348100-african-cooking-pot--tri-three-l

You appear blind to the problem and just want to recycle the Zionist rhetoric that has resulted in 40 years of displacement and collective punishment

for the Palestinians.

Look at the numbers.

1,460 Palestinians, mostly civilians, have died in the conflict and 63 Israelis, mostly soldiers.

How many normal Israeli citizens have lost their lives through so called rocket fire in the last month?

The only way to explain it is either Israel has the WORST investigators in the world....or they were deliberately trying to rile people.

This entire tragedy was engineered by Israel to provoke Hamas.  

And by the way, does anyone believe that Israel recently discovered these tunnels?  With all of the technology at its disposal, of course it knew about the tunnels--including their alleged 'sophistication".  Israel knew they could use those tunnels to frighten its populace when it grew weary of its actions, and also allow hold the international community at bay when the calls inevitably came to stop murdering women and children.

As was posted earlier, all Israel needs to do is pour cement down in those tunnels and that would be the end of it.  But instead it chooses to continues to kill innocent women and children. 

all Israel needs to do is pour cement down in those tunnels

that would be really practical,  wonder how much cement you would need, some of these tunnels are a kilometre long. Maybe they could use the cement mixers that Turkey sent to Gaza (as Humanitarian aid?) to mix it up before pouring into the Tunnels. 

facepalm.gif

The Palestinians have no one to blame but themselves for allowing Hamas to control their government and country. Giving credibility to Hamas is like putting a fox in a hen house and then complaining about the carnage done to the chickens.  Far too many bleeding liberals and armchair warriors voicing opinions without experience ,facts and understanding.

Go spend a few days living in Gaza then tell me how you feel.

You may be very intelligent for all I know, but on this, you have no idea.

White male would be dead minutes after setting foot in Gaza......what a ridiculous statement.

"White male would be dead minutes after setting foot in Gaza"! What a ridiculous statement, not to say ignorant and blatantly racist. There are dozens and dozens of 'White" males in Gaza from all over the world. Doctors, nurses, volunteers, aid workers, journalists etc etc. The only danger they probably face is from The IDF. Ask the parents of Rachel Corrie!

• Like 2

The Palestinians have no one to blame but themselves for allowing Hamas to control their government and country. Giving credibility to Hamas is like putting a fox in a hen house and then complaining about the carnage done to the chickens.  Far too many bleeding liberals and armchair warriors voicing opinions without experience ,facts and understanding.

Go spend a few days living in Gaza then tell me how you feel.

You may be very intelligent for all I know, but on this, you have no idea.

White male would be dead minutes after setting foot in Gaza......what a ridiculous statement.

"White male would be dead minutes after setting foot in Gaza"! What a ridiculous statement, not to say ignorant and blatantly racist. There are dozens and dozens of 'White" males in Gaza from all over the world. Doctors, nurses, volunteers, aid workers, journalists etc etc. The only danger they probably face is from The IDF. Ask the parents of Rachel Corrie!

http://www.worldtribune.com/2014/07/31/sources-hamas-quickly-puts-dissent-gaza-kills-palestinian-protesters/

Hamas suppressing wartime dissent, shooting to kill Palestinian protesters

On July 26, at least five protesters were shot dead by Hamas gunmen in Gaza City. The sources said some 40 people gathered outside Shifa Hospital to demand medical services.

On July 28, two people were killed and more than 20 injured when Hamas gunmen battled those waiting on line for food in the northern town of Beit Hanoun.

Foreign journalists in the Gaza Strip have restricted their reporting to Israeli military operations. Amid fear of Hamas interrogations, the journalists have ignored Hamas rocket and other attacks in the Gaza Strip, including one that killed nine children at the Palestinian refugee camp of Shati on July 28.

“Out of Gaza far from Hamas retaliation: misfired rocket killed children [yesterday] in Shati,” Italian journalist Gabriele Barbati said in a Tweet on July 29. “Witness: militants rushed and cleared debris.”

http://www.algemeiner.com/2014/07/30/algemeiner-editor-dovid-efune-up-to-25-percent-of-hamas-rockets-fall-short-and-kill-gazan-civilians-video/

At least 25 percent of those rockets do not make it into Israel and fall short into Gaza.”

“You have the IDF saying the other day that they had at least 100, they showed a map of rockets that fell inside of Gaza. And remember, in Gaza there are no air raid sirens. All of the bunkers are used absolutely by the Hamas terrorists, where they don’t allow civilians to go inside. There’s no warning and they cause tremendous damage. On the ground though, you have the Hamas guys… and the UN who… back them up and they come in and blame everything on Israel. Everything, all the damage.”

How many Palestinians have Hamas killed?

Ulysses G., you have so much anger in you

I have read your posts. This is another case of the pot calling the kettle black. However, at least my posts are historically accurate. You can not justify the same reasoning.

9348100-african-cooking-pot--tri-three-l

You appear blind to the problem and just want to recycle the Zionist rhetoric that has resulted in 40 years of displacement and collective punishment
for the Palestinians.

Look at the numbers.

1,460 Palestinians, mostly civilians, have died in the conflict and 63 Israelis, mostly soldiers.

How many normal Israeli citizens have lost their lives through so called rocket fire in the last month?

Don't you think it odd that Hamas haven't said how many Hamas fighters have been killed? All very well spouting figures provided by Hamas. But unless you can show a link to where it gives a brake down into combatants and none combatants, then all you are doing is swallowing Hamas propaganda. 

Do you really think that they are all Palestinian civilians? So who is fighting for Hamas?  

Indeed long after the smoke had cleared Hamas admitted it had lost 750 fighters during operation cast lead, which turned out to be half of the total number of casualties.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand
  • Like 1

Who knows what the percentages will turn out to be in the current offensive, but early analysis also indicates roughly 50 / 50 split between fighters and civilians. However, it does appear that civilans may end up being the majority in this current round of killing.

Out of the names of 152 individuals who were killed, that were examined by the ITIC, 71 were identified as terror operatives and 81 as non-involved civilians. The percentage of terrorist operatives among all those examined is 46.7%, while the percentage of non-involved citizens is 53.3%. This ratio may vary as the ITIC continues to examine the names of those killed in Operation Protective Edge

http://www.terrorism-info.org.il/

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Who knows what the percentages will turn out to be in the current offensive, but early analysis also indicates roughly 50 / 50 split between fighters and civilians. However, it does appear that civilans may end up being the majority in this current round of killing.

Out of the names of 152 individuals who were killed, that were examined by the ITIC, 71 were identified as terror operatives and 81 as non-involved civilians. The percentage of terrorist operatives among all those examined is 46.7%, while the percentage of non-involved citizens is 53.3%. This ratio may vary as the ITIC continues to examine the names of those killed in Operation Protective Edge

Yes and it also says that Hamas deliberately give false information to make it appear that more civilians are killed.

6.   These deficiencies, in our opinion, are not accidental but are part of Hamas’s policy of concealment and deception (see below), shared by the Hamas-controlled Health Ministry in the Gaza Strip. Hamas’s policy is designed to create an image of a large number of civilians who were killed

Edited by ggold
  • Like 1

Yes and it also says that Hamas deliberately give false information to make it appear that more civilians are killed.

6.   These deficiencies, in our opinion, are not accidental but are part of Hamas’s policy of concealment and deception (see below), shared by the Hamas-controlled Health Ministry in the Gaza Strip. Hamas’s policy is designed to create an image of a large number of civilians who were killed

Yes, but 'so what', just a propaganda war, the real players will know the reality.

Yes, but 'so what', just a propaganda war, the real players will know the reality.

Yes but, no but, what ever. So what?  So who's propaganda are you spouting?   

They have killed an estimated 22 Israelis since 2004 and injured more, indiscriminately. There are reports of Israelis being treated for shock. The public sirens that signal incoming rockets and send people to bunkers disrupt daily life and cause great anxiety. 

Those poor people. 22 people in 10 years.

And the score on the other side ...

Bullies they are, and Bullies they remain.

Maybe time to stop making apologies for them.

• Like 1

Maybe time to stop making apologies for them.

Who is making apologies? No country on earth would allow a terrorist group to shoot thousands of rockets into their territory. I just hope that they don't get provoked into taking the gloves off. Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

Personally I think that the side which has more power and had to endure less difficult times during let's say the last 40 years, so clearly Israelis jews, should do the first step.

The Israelis have already taken the "first step" and long ago. They have offered the Palestinian Arabs peace deals over and over again for the past 100 years, to settle the conflict, and the Arabs have refused every single one.

name a few for me of the "every single ones" then that the Arabs have rejected

UN Security Council Resolution 242 (November 22, 1967)
Jarring Mission (1967–1971)
Allon Plan 26 July 1967
Rogers Plan (1969)
Camp David Accords (1978)
Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty (1979)
Fahd Plan (1981)
Reagan Plan (Sept.1, 1982)
Fez Initiative (Sept.9, 1982)
May 17 Agreement (1983), a failed attempt of peace between Lebanon and Israel
Israel-Jordan Treaty of Peace (1994)
Arab Peace Initiative (March 28, 2002)
Madrid Conference of 1991
Oslo Accords (1993)
Wye River Memorandum (October 23, 1998)
Camp David 2000 Summit (2000)
The Clinton Parameters (December 23, 2000)
Taba summit (January, 2001)
Elon Peace Plan (also known as "The Israel Initiative") (2002)
The People's Voice (July 27, 2002)
Road Map for Peace (April 30, 2003)
Isratine AKA One-State Solution (May 8, 2003)
Geneva Accord (October 20, 2003)
Sharm el-Sheikh Summit of 2005 (February 8, 2005)
2006 Franco-Italian-Spanish Middle East Peace Plan
Two-state solution
Three state solution
A Peace of Jerusalem, APoJi
Israeli Peace Initiative (6 April 2011)

...I do like the Israeli Peace Initiative of 2011. I am curious what happened to it...genuine question.
Edited by dexterm

Personally I think that the side which has more power and had to endure less difficult times during let's say the last 40 years, so clearly Israelis jews, should do the first step.

The Israelis have already taken the "first step" and long ago. They have offered the Palestinian Arabs peace deals over and over again for the past 100 years, to settle the conflict, and the Arabs have refused every single one.

name a few for me of the "every single ones" then that the Arabs have rejected

UN Security Council Resolution 242 (November 22, 1967)
Jarring Mission (1967–1971)
Allon Plan 26 July 1967
Rogers Plan (1969)
Camp David Accords (1978)
Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty (1979)
Fahd Plan (1981)
Reagan Plan (Sept.1, 1982)
Fez Initiative (Sept.9, 1982)
May 17 Agreement (1983), a failed attempt of peace between Lebanon and Israel
Israel-Jordan Treaty of Peace (1994)
Arab Peace Initiative (March 28, 2002)
Madrid Conference of 1991
Oslo Accords (1993)
Wye River Memorandum (October 23, 1998)
Camp David 2000 Summit (2000)
The Clinton Parameters (December 23, 2000)
Taba summit (January, 2001)
Elon Peace Plan (also known as "The Israel Initiative") (2002)
The People's Voice (July 27, 2002)
Road Map for Peace (April 30, 2003)
Isratine AKA One-State Solution (May 8, 2003)
Geneva Accord (October 20, 2003)
Sharm el-Sheikh Summit of 2005 (February 8, 2005)
2006 Franco-Italian-Spanish Middle East Peace Plan
Two-state solution
Three state solution
A Peace of Jerusalem, APoJi
Israeli Peace Initiative (6 April 2011)

...I do like the Israeli Peace Initiative of 2011. I am curious what happened to it...genuine question.

http://www.unwatch.org/site/c.bdKKISNqEmG/b.1359197/k.6748/UN_Israel__AntiSemitism.htm

Anti-Israel Bias in the UN System

The UN's discrimination against Israel is not a minor infraction, nor a parochial nuisance of interest solely to those concerned with equal rights of the Jewish people and the Jewish state. Instead, the world body's obsession with censuring Israel at every turn directly affects all citizens of the world, for it constitutes (a) a severe violation of the equality principles guaranteed by the UN Charter and underlying the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and (b) a significant obstacle to the UN's ability to carry out its proper mandate.

• Like 1

An interesting look at the current situation in the Middle East.  Have any of you Hamas supporters noticed the silence from other Arab states?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arab states quietly line up with Israel against Hamas

By United Press International August 1, 2014 6:35 am

A coalition of Arab states has deliberately not taken sides in the conflict between Israel and Hamas, the governing body of Gaza.

Saudi Arabia, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates, among others, led by Egypt, have essentially lined up against Hamas, which has no legitimate allies in the Arab world except Iran, thus benefiting Israel.

"The Arab states' loathing and fear of political Islam is so strong that it outweighs their allergy to (Israeli Prime Minister) Benjamin Netanyahu," said Aaron David Miller, a scholar at the Wilson Center in Washington and former Middle East negotiator.

"I have never seen a situation like it, where you have so many Arab states acquiescing in the death and destruction in Gaza and the pummeling of Hamas. The silence is deafening."

• Like 2

The Israeli government not only wants to rid Gaza of Hamas (which is a terrorist organization but duly elected as the government), but will do anything in it's power to either force the Palestinians out of the territories that have been pushed into or exterminate them. They make talk about a two state solution to keep the Americans happy but will never settle for a Palestinian state.

I think you are spot on.  

Here's an Op Ed from earlier this week by Moshe Feiglin, the Deputy Speaker of the Knesset (Israeli Parliament).   He is giving voice to the sentiments of many in Israel who want the Gaza Strip land for further expansion.  As he blatantly states, they need to "eliminate" (his word, not mine) the Palestinians who are currently there.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/15326#.U9ia-_ldVyQ   

He lays out seven steps to get there - "Ultimatum - Attack - Siege - Defense - Conquer - Elimination - Sovereignty"      

You can try to brush it off as just one man's opinion, but the permanence of the Israeli settlements outside the 1967 boundaries has quite a bit of traction both in the Israeli power circles and in the general population.  In a 2011 survey, less than half  the Israelis polled wanted to see Israeli pull back to the 1967 borders to secure a peace treaty.  

If you listen to Naftali Bennett, the #3 Minister in Netanyahu's coalition government,  he's quite unabashed about wanting the other Arab states to absorb the Palestinian population and leave the historical lands to Israel.  

-tom

Indeed.

It is not so much that the right wing in Israel increased its force, as much as the Israeli right wing getting more blatant

with regard to many of the issues. A by product of this is that politicians defined as center, can be deemed as left wing

compared to the current right wing. It does seem to change the narrative to some extent.

These are not isolated or fringe elements, but coalition partners and ruling party members. That said, Feiglin himself

can be seen as a representative of the far right element within the Likud Party (which while certainly right wing, is

still holding on to some MPs not totally off their rockers).

Worth noting that the right wing picking up steam can be attributed, at least in part, to similar process going on the

Palestinian side (especially when it comes to Hamas). The prevalent sentiment is that there is no chance of ever

coming to terms with the Hamas (and frankly, this is not such a misguided notion), and therefore, less motivation to

choose pro-peace parties (which sometimes hold agendas that seem out of touch with reality as far as public opinion

goes).

I would treat opinion polls with some weariness. For one thing, they are easily effected by wordings of questions and

by current events. The willingness of the Israeli public to support such a move would be effected by the perceived

gains and the level of trust that the other side will deliver. Trust (or lack of) between sides is a sore issue.

I wonder what Thailand would do if Cambodia started building settlements on their land ?

A good point, but to make it more realistic in terms of the power imbalance and unequal military capacity, we should probably ask:

"What would Thailand do if China started building settlements on their land"?

• Like 1

You can try to brush it off as just one man's opinion

Mostly because it IS just one man's opinion. There are nut jobs in every country and in every political body, but luckily - very few people listen to them. laugh.png

There are quite a few one mans in parliament and government saying the same things, though.

Part of it is ideology (Feiglin is as right wing as Likud gets, and would feel at home in more extreme parties as well),

and part of it is domestic politics and playing for the voters ears. No sane right winger wants to be seen as going too

soft when others are calling out for action.

There are also quite a few people listening to them, and even worse, voting for them.

A related problem is that with Hamas around, it serves to justify all their claims and negate most of what anyone who

is pro-peace got to say. So in essence, the Hamas and the Israeli far right wing support each other quite nicely.