Do you ever feel people treat you stupid because you're a f-rang?

squarethecircle

To be a Devil's advocate I can understand why some of the locals would assume foreigners are not too bright when some:

1 Build houses on land they don't own.

2 Defend dual pricing (Oh its not that much money...)

3 Stay long term in a country but never receive any long term permission to stay, only annual extensions

4 Must report to the police every 90 days (Yeah, Immigration is a division of the police)

5 Don't speak, read or write the language, even after living here for long periods.

6 Believe some of the whoppers their Thai wives/GFs tell them (Thai men wouldn't)

7 Have to have their Thai wife/GF go every where with them because they can not manage on their own. (See #5)

Other than a few technicalities, I honestly do believe that the Thais truly do like and respect us :) 

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be a Devil's advocate I can understand why some of the locals would assume foreigners are not too bright when some:

3 Stay long term in a country but never receive any long term permission to stay, only annual extensions

4 Must report to the police every 90 days (Yeah, Immigration is a division of the police)

5 Don't speak, read or write the language, even after living here for long periods.

6 Believe some of the whoppers their Thai wives/GFs tell them (Thai men wouldn't)

7 Have to have their Thai wife/GF go every where with them because they can not manage on their own. (See #5)

Other than a few technicalities, I honestly do believe that the Thais truly do like and respect us smile.png

And just the other minor one Lancelot................ Pay large sums of Sin-Sot to marry a lady twice divorced with 5 children...............coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Yes, when Thai people try to rip me off and assume I am not going to notice or not push back about it. Wouldn't that be assuming stupidity? As far as language issues around the Thai language, they would be correct in my case to assume that I am stupid. 

No, because they try to rip of Thais the same, sometimes worse. It is not because you are a rang. Just they speak more openly about it as they assume you can't understand them.

Example: send a wealthy looking Thai girl to a car repair shop. Vs. sending a Farang male who looks a bit like a technician, to the same shop. The Thai will be ripped of. Such people search for victims who don't know the situation. But it isn't race based.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"The dumbest people on the planet, of any color or background, are those who call other people dumb. Real smart people would never do that unless they are arrogant. And really smart people are per definition not arrogant. So why worry?"

Not worrying, but have had the same impression numerous times over three years in-and-out of here. Now I am making a real effort to learn the language as I think I will be coming back here for off and on for my remaining (G*ddess willing) 50-60 years on the planet, but curious if my impression is correct or I am just being "
น้อยใจ" ie: "noi jai" ie: "small heart" ie: "easily offended".

When you get to the level of saying no thanks, I enjoy walking, you're on your way.................wink.png

Set it as a milestone..........................thumbsup.gif

The other day a waiter tried to add 100 baht to a 200 baht check. I said this is impossible and they still insisted like I was a trouble maker. Still pushed (bring the manager!) and then it was ... so sorry, it was a mistake. Instead of accepting that BS I said to her (and it was true) you look too SMART to not know how to add two items (BTW in an empty restaurant). Gotcha!

And the next time she'll spit in your food.  I didn't think you were that dumb.  I take it back. 
Well, I for one wouldn't be going back to that restaurant anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Other than a few technicalities, I honestly do believe that the Thais truly do like and respect us smile.png

"1 Build houses on land they don't own."

let me correct this one:

1 Marry a hoe and build her a house worth few millions-baht on land they dont own....

This happen every day, and the whole country have heard of this.

After no wonder, for thai people , the foreigner are perceived as completely daft!

A new spelling for the list.

Actually, if you think about it, this is somewhat the closest transliteration if you relate it to the original word in Thai script since there's no "a" sound written after the initial "f" as well.

(warning) This is something I have consistently noticed in my 3 years of being here. It seems that a significant proportion of the population seems to automatically assume I am dumber than them simply for being an f-rang. Example: last night some neighbors spent about five minutes going back and forth talking about how much they wanted to give me a ride home on their motorcycle, and the content was obvious. After the 5 minutes (after repeated efforts to say "bye" and obviously knowing what was going on), one of them spelt out in broken English "we go you motorcyc your house". Similar things have happened too many times to count. Maybe this is just because they are used to dealing with idiots from foreign countries, or maybe it's due to some kind of propaganda, but:

Do you ever feel people treat you stupid (or treat you like you're dumber than them) because you're a f-rang?

Probably wanted to give you a ride more or less because they wanted to make sure you made it safe home.

I've been in situations like that where they insist on "doing or taking" you somewhere.

Stop being sensitive, they are trying to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand
  • Like 1