Farang Pad Thai vendor charms local Thais

webfact

His wife owns a restaurant so maybe he has a wp. Wp can be very liberal in there wording. He can be a manager involved in all aspects of the business including advertising and promoting the restaurant. Thats the approach i would take if i were him.

Correct, wife opens sole proprietorship and has two employees, herself and her sister.

No problem getting work permit.

As married to Thai there is only need for 2 employees.

no. Cooking pad thai is a restricted occupation. he cannot get a work permit for this work.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KuhnPaen, on 04 Aug 2014 - 09:32, said:

So,he dated a Thai, learned to cook from her, and he takes the credit? just because my Thai gf taught me how to make really good pad see ew, I would never claim it was my recipe.

Like the rooster taking credit for the sunrise, IMO.

Maybe he has changed a few things, I make chicken green curry, but put potatoes, peas, onion and baby corn in, which replaces the Thai vegetables... and guess what the Thai family, including inlaws, love it better than the Thai version. So, can I take credit...you bet I do.

they say they love it...then they most likely talk about what an awful cook you are behind your back. we are collectively nothing more than performing monkeys to them when we do something "ingenious". Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

• Like 1

His wife owns a restaurant so maybe he has a wp. Wp can be very liberal in there wording. He can be a manager involved in all aspects of the business including advertising and promoting the restaurant. Thats the approach i would take if i were him.

Correct, wife opens sole proprietorship and has two employees, herself and her sister.

no. Cooking pad thai is a restricted occupation. he cannot get a work permit for this work.

Looking here an old link http://www.thaivisa.com/330-0.html i dont see it? Do you have a updated link?

Didn't think that cooking is a prohibited profession in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/330-0.html

No, it is not a prohibited profession. There are many falang cooks in Thailand, but if he doesn't have a "Work Permit" then his cooking will end and this happy story will end up doing the reverse of what was intended.

Well, "manual labor, shop attendance and street vending" are all prohibited, so I'm not sure...

In Pattaya a friend of mine got arrested by immigration for "illegally working" in Thailand, by simply sitting down a sofa inside the cafe' his lady works on and because he was telling customers going in or out, things like "hello" , "goodmorning", "bye", etc....

He had to pay 30.000 to get released which was a bargain compared on the fine they wanted him to pay.

Then they told him he could not sit down inside that coffee-shop again or they would come back and arrest him without any other discount been made........so he had to follow what this police's captain told him.

Welcome to Thailand chaps! (i hope i don't get arrested now, i just welcomed you!!! what a massive crime that is....)

Well, it was very obviously a corrupt captain, looking to raise some cash. I would have fought that all the way to the higher courts. I would have made sure I did everything in my power to make sure that captain lost his job. Now that the military is in power we do have some recourse, as there are ways to report vermin like that. Fight them tooth and nail, and things may begin to change. That incident is nothing short of ridiculous, foolish, petty, abusive, and unnecessary.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

KuhnPaen, on 05 Aug 2014 - 01:34, said:KuhnPaen, on 05 Aug 2014 - 01:34, said:
Rorri, on 04 Aug 2014 - 13:31, said:Rorri, on 04 Aug 2014 - 13:31, said:
KuhnPaen, on 04 Aug 2014 - 09:32, said:KuhnPaen, on 04 Aug 2014 - 09:32, said:KuhnPaen, on 04 Aug 2014 - 09:32, said:

So,he dated a Thai, learned to cook from her, and he takes the credit? just because my Thai gf taught me how to make really good pad see ew, I would never claim it was my recipe.

Maybe he has changed a few things, I make chicken green curry, but put potatoes, peas, onion and baby corn in, which replaces the Thai vegetables... and guess what the Thai family, including inlaws, love it better than the Thai version. So, can I take credit...you bet I do.

they say they love it...then they most likely talk about what an awful cook you are behind your back. we are collectively nothing more than performing monkeys to them when we do something "ingenious". Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

I'd prefer to be in denial than a tosser. You do not know these people but you talk as though you do... get a life you fool.

Edited by Rorri
  • Like 1

jacky54, on 05 Aug 2014 - 09:10, said:

can we keep the personal abuse out of this please?

No "abuse" (to speak insultingly, harshly, and unjustly to or about; revile; malign) intended, but if you make a foolish comment then by definition you are a fool.

Stories like this get foreigners landed in jail. The guy is breaking so many laws it is not funny. There is no way you can get a work permit for this work. This is a deportable and blacklistable crime. All he needs is the wrong labour, immigration, police officer to walk by or even a disgruntled competitor or family member and he is out. Please do not get any romantic crazy notions in your heads. If he has Thai citizenship he is safe.

Exactly my same thought.

Foreigners unaware of the local laws will fall into this trap so easily, then more money to be made for these sewages and a good (fake) image for the country.

Then, at a time of their convenience, the Pad-Thaier will very likely serve the same destiny or worse, either in a silent way or been described as a very bad law's breaker, TIT.

I sincerely hope he got thai's citizenshit, as that's the only way to avoid breaking local laws and fall prey to any of these hypocrites vultures.

• Like 1

Oh get a life you pathetic people,

(No work permit) (will get deported)(can't even wash your car) really. It's boring.

There is anything wrong in making others aware of the very real dangers they are in, once they put foot in this land?

Do you enjoy when others get into troubles?

How disgustings the "thaier then thai" can really be?

No limits i guess.

In Pattaya a friend of mine got arrested by immigration for "illegally working" in Thailand, by simply sitting down a sofa inside the cafe' his lady works on and because he was telling customers going in or out, things like "hello" , "goodmorning", "bye", etc....

He had to pay 30.000 to get released which was a bargain compared on the fine they wanted him to pay.

Then they told him he could not sit down inside that coffee-shop again or they would come back and arrest him without any other discount been made........so he had to follow what this police's captain told him.

Welcome to Thailand chaps! (i hope i don't get arrested now, i just welcomed you!!! what a massive crime that is....)

Well, it was very obviously a corrupt captain, looking to raise some cash. I would have fought that all the way to the higher courts. I would have made sure I did everything in my power to make sure that captain lost his job. Now that the military is in power we do have some recourse, as there are ways to report vermin like that. Fight them tooth and nail, and things may begin to change. That incident is nothing short of ridiculous, foolish, petty, abusive, and unnecessary.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Well, for how much i dislike what happened, i believe the BIB was simply applying the laws.

Obviously there are people that take advantage of them and others that understands how wrong some of the rules can be so they don't.

It's not the first time there are reports of these occurrences and very likely it will not be the last until the laws becomes what they supposed to be created for, and not to exist to simply make life even worse because someone can get some cash from it.

• Like 1

I know plenty of foreign chefs here on Samui, every big resort has one.

Chef is not an restricted occupation.

Indra shopping centre has dozens of Indians selling cameras and the like. How is it done?

Probably Thai nationals.

they are not Thai nationals but ethnic Indians holding Myanmar citizenship and most of them have a work permit.

I'm impressed with how much you know about so many things. Maybe you should become a teacher as there might be a need soon. Assuming you aren't one anyway. Is it all from those Starfleet computers?

It's not like me I know for once this isn't sarcasm. Well apart from the Starfleet bit.

Edited by kimamey

Pad Thai, like Spätzle, just a bit more sugar. whistling.gif

Hé hé...

On my side, I have chosen to bring home made spätzli to Cambodia, as well as cheese fondue, raclette and rösti :D

jacky54, on 05 Aug 2014 - 09:10, said:

can we keep the personal abuse out of this please?

No "abuse" (to speak insultingly, harshly, and unjustly to or about; revile; malign) intended, but if you make a foolish comment then by definition you are a fool.

Surely calling other posters 'tossers' and 'fools' is abuse, uncalled for and unhelpful?

Didn't think that cooking is a prohibited profession in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/330-0.html

No, it is not a prohibited profession. There are many falang cooks in Thailand, but if he doesn't have a "Work Permit" then his cooking will end and this happy story will end up doing the reverse of what was intended.

Well, "manual labor, shop attendance and street vending" are all prohibited, so I'm not sure...

The real problem would be getting a work permit, as you have to state why a Thai national wasn't hired instead. In this case there's really no excuse.

Well the French guy in Bangkok china town has been a street vendor for over 2 years, in the news paper and his stall is situated 20 meters from a police hangout. Clearly he has thai citizenship and or residency and is allowed to do what he does or he would have been arrested a long time ago. Either that or he is an elite card holder and pays off the BIB, and his stall is just a weird hobby.

So I'm guessing it's the same for this Swiss man. Fingers crossed anyway

""I have to admit, I am amazed by Tony's cooking skill ... I have never seen any other foreigner with such talent."

Ha!! Bless her. Someone should tell her that actually all of the Top top restaurants in Bangkok (mostly located in 5 star hotels) are ran by Foreign chefs (French, Italian, American, British) with Michelin stars awarded to them. Which includes preparation of all of the thai dishes too.

I don't know why people here immediately worry about this working permit etc. thing. As I understand Thailand there are rules yes, but they do not need to be applied to. Is not like in the rigid West. So as long as this guy does a 'na rak' thing and is a decent guy he will not be bothered, though immigration does know about it. Thai people are less rigid than farang and bend rules all the time. Now of course if he would do a lot of money and be in direct competition with a restaurant owned by somebody influential, that's another thing. But this is here obviously not the case.

So I am pretty sure the happy Swiss will be happy cooking Thai dishes for many more years, even with a simple retirement visa. No problem

I don't know why people here immediately worry about this working permit etc. thing. As I understand Thailand there are rules yes, but they do not need to be applied to. Is not like in the rigid West. So as long as this guy does a 'na rak' thing and is a decent guy he will not be bothered, though immigration does know about it. Thai people are less rigid than farang and bend rules all the time. Now of course if he would do a lot of money and be in direct competition with a restaurant owned by somebody influential, that's another thing. But this is here obviously not the case.

So I am pretty sure the happy Swiss will be happy cooking Thai dishes for many more years, even with a simple retirement visa. No problem

There was a man who was cooking and making pasta from his house not too long ago, he was Italian...from what I heard, a Thai man who had been doing same thing ratted him out to the immigration officials....and he lost everything...Thais may not always voice their opinions or go out of their way to show emotions, but there is certainly a lot of passive aggressiveness amongst the population here and that is where you need to be careful, just because people aren't saying anything or speaking out loud, doesn't mean they don't notice or don't care.

Edited by Smurkster

Asean.i say this with the upmost respect, but you must live a very sad life.

Appreciate the respect but when you spend every day of your life deporting foreigners who do stupid things, who then get blacklisted away from their wife and children for 5 to 99 years with no appeal allowed, and i have to face the family to explain why they wont be seeing their dad for a long time, spend days at the hot stinking borders lodging blacklist appeals, then days in the administrative courts to overturn blacklist rulings, get desperate phone calls from IDC and airport detention cells, fighting never ending court cases for foreigners on a charge that a thais would pay a 500 baht fine for but enough to get a foreigner blacklisted and deported, take kids to go meet their blacklisted mothers at the borders, and all for very little money then yes I guess you can say i live a pretty sad life.

Edited by asean

You are jealous?????

Wow. Some of these posts are sad. People saying pad thai is easy blah blah blah....

Very sad bunch....

As usual the jealous and hate-filled habitues of this forum cannot stand to see anyone find an enjoyable and successful life in Thailand. Any fun positive human interest story is invariably mocked and ridiculed by the far-too-many miserables here among us. It's sad there are those that only find satisfaction in raining on others' parades. Sorry bunch they are. coffee1.gif
Good luck to Mr Tony, and I wish him continued success and enjoyment. thumbsup.gif

Sorry to break it to you, but ALL human endeavors are worthy of mockery. Whether it's a 50 something Euro expat juggling mollusks in a wok, to self-righteous Thai Visa posters who need feel good stories to boost their mood.

Didn't mean to pee in your corn flakes. Sorry.

Carry on.

Umm, yeah... right. Enjoy (real) life much? Didn't think so...

You might wanna keep an eye on your own corn flakes mate… whistling.gif

Edited by iSabai

Video of Tony at his restaurant in Ang Thong, entitled "Meet the farang with a Thai heart who's opened a restaurant selling stir fired Thai noodles and fried mussel pancakes in Ang Thong".

The story was also reported in Thairath online on 01/08/14. Just out of interest, by each story they have a voting system where Thai readers can vote and express their feelings on the story. In this particular case, about 90% voted "like" so the Thai readers don't seem too bothered that he's doing a job reserved for Thais.

"90% voted "like" so the Thai readers don't seem too bothered that he's doing a job reserved for Thais."

Well it only takes 1 thai who is also trying to sell food down the street to shop him in if he thinks he's stealing business.

Think about it, you own a fish and chip shop in the UK and a Chinese couple open a fish and chip shop across the street and take say half of your potential business.. If you knew they were illegal immigrants would you shop them in? Maybe not but sole definitely would. (Let's not go off topic about how you would know they were illegal etc..)

Although Unlikely situation as he's been doing it for a while and not disturbed anyone, IN ADDITION to the fact he may have citizenship.

Nice story but Tony Smith can probably expect a visit from the Labour dept any day now!!

Secondly, this guy is Swiss, with a name like Tony Smith. Excuse my ignorance but it doesn't sound very Swiss.

You never heard of Swiss Toni?