Quizzed for visa extension for non-ED

If you want to learn a new language properly the alphabet is the first thing you ought to learn.

From my year of experience on the ED visa, the Thai alphabet and writing was the main focus for the first 6 months. I wasn't fun. But you're right, they stated in order to learn the language we had to do the alphabet first. That was Walen BTW 

Yeah, as far as I know Walen is the only school that forces you to learn the alphabet first.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is all it takes to pass a test at immigration, I think I am going to apply for a job as head of the office there.

Suppose you're Thai and you go to Europe to study English.
Suppose you've been studying for 2 years.
Suppose the European immigration officer suspects fraud and asks you a few questions in English and you can answer none of them.
Suppose that the European officer ask you to write 1 sentence in English - and you write it down in Thai karaoke.
Do you think the European immigration officer would extend your visa?

You see, this would never happen. The only thing you need to prove to maintain a student visa in most countries is proof of continued enrolment at your school. Immigration don't give you a quiz on how much you have learned.

I'm sorry you find that difficult to understand, but there is nothing wrong with actually taking time to learn the thing you are studying.

Edited by pokerspiv

Not a very convincing argument  given the quality of the language schools here and, of course, it is absurd to claim that you or anyone else would  know what "very few language schools" are doing ... unless you're some experienced  country-wide language school inspector.

It's really not that difficult mate. Schools advertise what their curriculum contains. I checked out 4-5 different schools in Samui before I got my visa. Walen was the only one that taught alphabet in the first year. I didn't go with them because they were a lot more expensive than the others.

Edited by pokerspiv

Are you serious?  You have been studying Thai for 2 years and still cannot understand when someone speaks to you in Thai?  And you cannot write anything using the Thai alphabet?

Either your teacher sucks, or your learning skills suck, or both

I'm sure you are fluent buddy.

I'm the wrong side of 35 and learning a language at this age is not easy. I can hold a basic conversation in Thai, but only if the person I am speaking to speaks slowly and clearly. I can speak to someone else in Thai and they can understand me fine, but it's much harder for me to understand them. Most people don't realise how much of a difference it makes.

The woman at immigration was quite busy and didn't have time to quiz me like that, which is why she got me to write it down.

And yes, learning a new alphabet is actually a pretty advanced topic and something you wouldn't necessarily attempt before learning basic conversation, since conversation is a more important skill.

But hey feel free to continue your crusade against people on Ed Visas.

sorry but the other guy is correct. i haven't even taken a single thai course and I am certain I speak better Thai than you after 2 years of study.

2 years and you can't even learn the alphabet in Thai? Are you fucking serious? I taught myself that in a couple weeks.

Be honest with us and yourself, you barely study or put any effort into the language.

• Like 1

Are you serious?  You have been studying Thai for 2 years and still cannot understand when someone speaks to you in Thai?  And you cannot write anything using the Thai alphabet?

I'm the wrong side of 35 and learning a language at this age is not easy. I can hold a basic conversation in Thai, but only if the person I am speaking to speaks slowly and clearly. I can speak to someone else in Thai and they can understand me fine, but it's much harder for me to understand them. Most people don't realise how much of a difference it makes.

The woman at immigration was quite busy and didn't have time to quiz me like that, which is why she got me to write it down.

And yes, learning a new alphabet is actually a pretty advanced topic and something you wouldn't necessarily attempt before learning basic conversation, since conversation is a more important skill.

sorry but the other guy is correct. i haven't even taken a single thai course and I am certain I speak better Thai than you after 2 years of study.

Can you sign my tits?

You don't have to be a full time student to get an Ed Visa folks. Only 100 hours of study per year. Get over it.

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 1

Can you sign my tits?

You don't have to be a full time student to get an Ed Visa folks. Only 100 hours of study per year. Get over it.

I know it isn't fulltime study and not everyone is a motivated or capable learner, but don't come in here and bullshit us. I know the score, and you know the score. Two years of study and you cant even talk basic Thai or write the alphabet is what it is.

• Like 1

Hell, I speak English to some Americans and Aussies when I am in Thailand and you'd be surprised how many ask me to repeat what I said, so a Thai speaking quickly can be hard to understand too.

Accent and speed of speech can make a huge difference in understanding someone.

Are you Scottish?

English, but why does that matter?

A broad, Devon accent can be hard to understand as can Yorkshire, Geordie and many others.

The same can be said of Thailand. The Thai spoken in Issan is not the same as that generally spoken in Bangkok, for example. Therefore one persons Thai might not be the same spoken Thai as anothers.

• Like 1

If you want to learn a new language properly the alphabet is the first thing you ought to learn.

Hi. I am fluent in Thai and can hold any conversation about any subject. I cant read or write.because of that I always have to talk with the Thais and having a lot of fun and found a lot of friends through that.my wife can read and write but most of the time she does not know what it means.I hear it and I know. Thais always want to learn conversation english and I agree conversation is the most important part. I can talk in 4  languages read and write only 2.

Possibly, but that isn't really the issue is it?

• Like 1

If that is all it takes to pass a test at immigration, I think I am going to apply for a job as head of the office there.

Suppose you're Thai and you go to Europe to study English.
Suppose you've been studying for 2 years.
Suppose the European immigration officer suspects fraud and asks you a few questions in English and you can answer none of them.

I don't know which part of Europe are you talking about. That doesn't happen in my country for sure. Only paperwork counts, officers are not examiners, if they were they would demand a pay raise.

If you don't study at a real university, enough hours per week (much more than 2), and you don't attend the lessons, you will not even get in or you'll not get your extension.
In case of fraud, you can be sure they'll go to talk to you when you ask for your extension.

How many Thais of 60 years old are studying English 2 hours per week in Europe and get a visa for this?

There's a serious unbalance here.

The current student visa in Thailand is a joke - so is the test he got and the fact that they let him pass.

How exactly are you and your life affected by people on Education visas?  Who are you to judge them or the program?  Just focus on your life and move along.

• Like 2

The fact the guy has been studying Thai for two years is not that relevant. The amount of time spent studying Thai during that period is relevant; one hour per week, 10 hours per week? Over the past few weeks we have all read about Thai language schools that are nothing more than visa shops.

Thats a very mean comment 

It is indeed, not everyone is great with Asian language, some have the knack for it others don´t. I can speak fluently 5 European Languages, 3 of which get mistaken by locals as my mother tongue yet Thai I find rather difficult. Besides the inability to learn the language does not mean the OP was abusing the visa system. I most certainly would be annoyed if I had an ED visa and got denied through a lack of understanding or comprehension as the visa is a visa to study the language and not to learn or comprehend the language! If a person was denied an extension and can prove their attendance and effort to learn through providing study material, books with notes and so on surely they would have a case for a very strong appeal.

BTW that rude comment insults every Thai (and farang) English teacher and/or Thai national that could not learn English after being taught for 9-12 years in the Education system here.

• Like 1

I am surprised the extension was approved and in reference to follow up posts so are many other people. The ED visa was a good scheme to stay in Thailand and now competency is being challenged students who did little or no study will have a tough time passing the test, regardless of how low the standard is set as demonstrated by the OP.

Why are you having a go at a guy for studying Thai ??. I went to a Thai language school for one year and although i can speak it pretty well, i couldn't read or write it to save my life. So kudos to him for wanting to learn.

And as for learning other languages, I'm from the UK, and from my experience, most British people struggle with English ( and they have had a lifetime to learn it) cheesy.gif

and I am all for people staying on eD visa and studying thai.

I might be going on eD visa and taking lessons later in the year too.

Why would you Metapod
You taught yourself thai alphabet in 2 weeks and you speak better than someone who has studied it for 2 years.....you're a genius. ...all of us at thai visa are impressed.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

The fact the guy has been studying Thai for two years is not that relevant. The amount of time spent studying Thai during that period is relevant; one hour per week, 10 hours per week? Over the past few weeks we have all read about Thai language schools that are nothing more than visa shops.

He posted above all you need is 100 hours a year to get the visa.

Which is an utterly inadequate amount of class time.

Yes, very mean and very true.

Why do some folks find it necessary to put down others. ..if you're a foreigner living in Thailand and can communicate in thai....good for you...but why do you have to boast about it. ...who cares. .

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

I have been studying Thai informally for two years. (Of my own volition, I have a retirement visa)

I speak conversational Thai fairly well. I have moderate hearing loss and cannot understand spoken Thai unless it is slowly and carefully pronounced.

Not everyone who cannot understand spoken Thai is lazy.

I can read and write Thai. I agree that this skill is crucial.
  • Like 1

Mean but honest and true, I could speak Thai almost fluently within 6 months and I am not a scientist...

No its not mean its the truth. Ive been teaching myself Thai with a computer program and a book, and I can speak the alphabet, constanents all 44 of them and all of the 32 vowels without going to school for 2 years.

So you ED Visa dodgers beware, you are going to get found out and will not be admitted into the Kingdom after your next exit. Its as simple as ABC. If you say you are here to learn the language then learn the language.

With learning the Thai alphabet or not. I can't work out a lot of transliterated gobbledegook. Most of the time it sort of makes sense, if you have context. Everything is encoded in the Thai script: vowel length, tone, un-aspirated characters and unpronounced characters. You can't see any of that in the transliterated representation. Further, it makes me want to use English pronunciation on what I see which is usually wrong.

Language is like all things: If you don't use it, you lose it.

• Like 1

good i understand i had to learn russian, and speaking is much easyer than writing, and at my age i agree. wife is russian  and speakes english and thai.russian is a stage 3  language  and i learn thai faster than i did russian. to all who have to learn any  language my nhats off 

I dunno why everybody is mad. You learned a few important things from the OP:

1. The OP clearly hasnt studied all that hard. (2 years on a paid for course with actual lessons?). 

2. He still passed. 

3. The bar is therefore ridiculously low.

4. The ed-visa is still an option for anyone looking at staying reasonably long term with the minimum of fuss.  

Edited by inutil
  • Like 2