Quizzed for visa extension for non-ED

Hi guys, just thought I would post this for information's sake.

I live in Samui and have been studying on an Ed Visa for almost 2 years. I went to get my extension a week or so ago and for the first time I was questioned by the lady at the Samui immigration office. At first she asked me some questions in Thai, which I couldn't understand because she spoke way too fast. I asked her to speak more slowly and she told me to just write down some sentences in Thai (in roman characters). I did so and my extension was approved. Just thought others on Ed Visas might like to be aware.

• Like 2

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your unsolicited opinion. So much hate for Ed Visa holders, jealous?

Just pointing out the same fact that any good language teacher would tell you especially in a tonal language like Thai where it's not possible to properly represent the tones in the English alphabet.

Go ahead and make it personal. That wasn't my intention. Why would  I 'hate' a stranger? 

Very few Thai language schools start their beginner students with learning the alphabet. Most of us aren't learning Thai to write novels, we are learning it to go about daily business in Thailand. Learning to read is certainly a long-term goal, but short term I would consider basic conversation more important.

I'm not sure why you would hate a stranger, but plenty of people seem to hate Ed Visa holders here for some reason. 

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 2

Just pointing out the same fact that any good language teacher would tell you especially in a tonal language like Thai where it's not possible to properly represent the tones in the English alphabet.

Go ahead and make it personal. That wasn't my intention. Why would  I 'hate' a stranger? 

Very few Thai language schools start their beginner students with learning the alphabet. Most of us aren't learning Thai to write novels, we are learning it to go about daily business in Thailand. Learning to read is certainly a long-term goal, but short term I would consider basic conversation more important.

I'm not sure why you would hate a stranger, but plenty of people seem to hate Ed Visa holders here for some reason. 

The only person that has been defensive on this thread is you...  Why would anyone be jealous of someone on an ED visa? 

• Like 2

If that is all it takes to pass a test at immigration, I think I am going to apply for a job as head of the office there.

Suppose you're Thai and you go to Europe to study English.
Suppose you've been studying for 2 years.
Suppose the European immigration officer suspects fraud and asks you a few questions in English and you can answer none of them.
Suppose that the European officer ask you to write 1 sentence in English - and you write it down in Thai karaoke.
Do you think the European immigration officer would extend your visa? Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

Do not take a few comments so personal, you may get an ulcer

Never mind the trolls, this site is full of them, just like those who think giving 500,000 baht away to get 5 year visa is a good thing, most places I know u put money away or invest , not give money away to get visa

Back to issue. I have been here a very long time and still do not speak well, learning another language is not easy for everyone the fact you are trying is great. I would not even want to try to read or write it, my bad eyes would make that nearly impossible. Age makes a big difference., I took some Spanish classes in high school and still know more of that then Thai. I am not on an ED visa to clear that up, keep trying I may take a class and try again in the future

• Like 1

If that is all it takes to pass a test at immigration, I think I am going to apply for a job as head of the office there.

Suppose the European immigration officer suspects fraud and asks you a few questions in English and you can answer none of them.

I don't know which part of Europe are you talking about. That doesn't happen in my country for sure. Only paperwork counts, officers are not examiners, if they were they would demand a pay raise.

• Like 1

I don't know which part of Europe are you talking about. That doesn't happen in my country for sure. Only paperwork counts, officers are not examiners, if they were they would demand a pay raise.

If you don't study at a real university, enough hours per week (much more than 2), and you don't attend the lessons, you will not even get in or you'll not get your extension.
In case of fraud, you can be sure they'll go to talk to you when you ask for your extension.

How many Thais of 60 years old are studying English 2 hours per week in Europe and get a visa for this?

There's a serious unbalance here.

The current student visa in Thailand is a joke - so is the test he got and the fact that they let him pass. Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

Are you serious?  You have been studying Thai for 2 years and still cannot understand when someone speaks to you in Thai?  And you cannot write anything using the Thai alphabet?

Either your teacher sucks, or your learning skills suck, or both

Hell, I speak English to some Americans and Aussies when I am in Thailand and you'd be surprised how many ask me to repeat what I said, so a Thai speaking quickly can be hard to understand too.

Accent and speed of speech can make a huge difference in understanding someone.

• Like 2

Are you serious?  You have been studying Thai for 2 years and still cannot understand when someone speaks to you in Thai?  And you cannot write anything using the Thai alphabet?

Either your teacher sucks, or your learning skills suck, or both

Hell, I speak English to some Americans and Aussies when I am in Thailand and you'd be surprised how many ask me to repeat what I said, so a Thai speaking quickly can be hard to understand too.

Accent and speed of speech can make a huge difference in understanding someone.

Are you Scottish?

So if you train muay thai with your ED visa and you go and ask for an extension after a few years they bring out another muay thai expert to test you?

No problem, they will take one of their examiners.

http://prisonfight.com/al-jazeera-thai-prison-fights-inmates-train-for-matches-against-foreign-opponents-for-a-chance-to-win-an-early-release/

It's a sure win for the foreigner, can get an extension for hospitalization if he doesn't make it. 

Edited by paz

So if you train muay thai with your ED visa and you go and ask for an extension after a few years they bring out another muay thai expert to test you?

Nah you just knee the immigration bloke in the goolies laugh.png

Exactly how many different subjects are there to choose from.? I've just googled Thai Boxing and Thai cooking and I can't find any information regarding ED visas for these subjects, although I'm aware some farang do it. I guess the only kind of test is for the language, and I'm guessing that what 95% of farang choose to do. 

There is no published sets of subject but each school must be accredited by the ministry of education and is subject to verification at Immigration discretion.

Jokes aside, in reality Muay Thai and flowering ED visa are more barstool myths than anything else.

• Like 1

When I studied at DLI in '65, we learned a transliteration of the words first and then gradually learned to write the Thai characters. We had to memorize a daily dialogue and be ready to stand up and recite if called on. Studying the writing system early on was a good idea, IMO. I can still read the characters but find it hard to remember which class the characters belong to and what effect the tone marks have as a result. We did a lot of pattern drills in those days as well as listening in the language lab.
The communicative language learning method used later worked well for my speaking ability when I later studied Japanese but I didn't learn to read and write very well. I wish that we had devoted more time to learning written Japanese at the beginning. Now, due to my age, when I attempt to add to my Thai vocabulary it is very hard to remember the new words. Memory power is extremely important when learning a language and that power fades with age.
  • Like 1