Quizzed for visa extension for non-ED

Let's pour the hate everywhere:
1. Retirement visa- prove where the money comes from. Report in everyday to the immigration. You are retired nothing else to do.
2. Marriage visa- prove where the money comes from. Prove you love your parter.
3. Business visa prove it's a real business.
4. Work permit- truly qualified to teach? Back home get a job?
Stop the negativity, please.
  • Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious?  You have been studying Thai for 2 years and still cannot understand when someone speaks to you in Thai?  And you cannot write anything using the Thai alphabet?

Either your teacher sucks, or your learning skills suck, or both

What a dick.

• Like 2

Are you serious?  You have been studying Thai for 2 years and still cannot understand when someone speaks to you in Thai?  And you cannot write anything using the Thai alphabet?

I studied for longer than 2 years and I can not write Thai because school does not teach writing.

I also do not understand when someone speaks fast and not clear and my Thai is good enough to do most things in Thai only

It appears the school also sucks--a Thai language school which does not teach the written Thai; more inappropriate than non-alcoholic beer

Attended 2 different schools and neither teach writing.

One expected students can just copy the letters.

One is a major sponsor and another was a pro language.

Do you know which schools teach writing?

If you want to learn a new language properly the alphabet is the first thing you ought to learn.

From my year of experience on the ED visa, the Thai alphabet and writing was the main focus for the first 6 months. I wasn't fun. But you're right, they stated in order to learn the language we had to do the alphabet first. That was Walen BTW 

6 months at Walen in alphabet class? Most people finish that class and move on to Book 1 after 4-6 weeks. I was 5 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Wow poor guy, he was only posting some info for you all and he's got a beating. 

Bloody hell you people really do go off subject dont you,the Guy was just making the point about how he was now being quizzed about his ED visa extension under the new rules/clampdown and being tested to see if he was a genuine student or just using the ED visa for an excuse to live in Thailand long term. Who really gives a shit has to his ability to speak or write in Thi he can be learning freaking Swahili for all we know or care, its nothing to do with you or me.

Good luck to you mate if staying in Thailand as long as you can and enjoying yourself by whatever means it takes then good for you smile.png

I agree with you.

I am on non-ED visa for more than one year also, and I read this thread to get information about it.

But what did I read on this thread ? Crap, crap, crap, hate, hate, hate, troll, troll, troll.

The guy came to us to post some fresh information, and we got 4 pages about learning thai alphabets or not, learning skills, which school is better than another, who is a true student, etc. Fucking boring.

Please mister the moderators ... do something -- I don't want to read 9 posts of BS just for 1 post of good fresh information about non-ED extension.

Walen must have changed a lot from when I studied there a few years ago- they never taught the alphabet at all (you had to copy what the teacher said when the book came to a list of letters, but things like class and what noise the letters actually made etc wasn't ever discussed)- it was a relief to switch to a school like Language Express where reading and writing is taught properly from day one. That's really good if Walen finality changed their terrible teaching system (even the teachers would complain about it). 

But having gone round most language schools for sample classes, I'd say the majority of them teach you the alphabet and reading from the start as well. 

I've been student for 1 year in Wallen now. 
Indeed the teach the alphabet / the reading / the writing from day1.
The first year test, at Wallen, at the end of the first year, is something like that : 
15 questions in thai.
15 words to read.
some letters to wirte.

If you want to learn a new language properly the alphabet is the first thing you ought to learn.

From my year of experience on the ED visa, the Thai alphabet and writing was the main focus for the first 6 months. I wasn't fun. But you're right, they stated in order to learn the language we had to do the alphabet first. That was Walen BTW 

6 months at Walen in alphabet class? Most people finish that class and move on to Book 1 after 4-6 weeks. I was 5 weeks.

Must of been a class for gifted people, because when i attended Walen 240 classes, not even 1 person moved on

240 classes would be way over 4-6 weeks as you claim.

• Like 1

Most people? Do they really.? Did you fail to see the bit where I wrote 'Writing'? AKA - sentences.....ok, you can write in Thai after 5 weeks, well done. 

learning a new alphabet is actually a pretty advanced topic and something you wouldn't necessarily attempt before learning basic conversation, since conversation is a more important skill.

It is much better is you start with the alphabet because then you can see how you pronounce a word.
This is much more accurate than listen to someone (with an accent) in a strange language.

Wow poor guy, he was only posting some info for you all and he's got a beating. He is correct in saying that as a beginner most don't learn the alphabet. I've been studying 6 months and no alphabet .

You should really learn the alphabet. I don't mean that in a "you're doing it wrong!" way but it's massively helpful to learning how to speak and listen properly as well- otherwise you're relying on inaccurate romanisations of Thai words. Most good schools will teach you the alphabet from day one, alongside speaking and writing- and it really does make a difference. It also unlocks a whole world of everyday Thai learning from just walking down the street and reading signs and so on. But especially as Thai is a tonal language with letters and sound type not used in Roman languages, I'd say learning to read it is near essential. smile.png

thumbsup.gif

Wow poor guy, he was only posting some info for you all and he's got a beating. He is correct in saying that as a beginner most don't learn the alphabet. I've been studying 6 months and no alphabet .

You should really learn the alphabet. I don't mean that in a "you're doing it wrong!" way but it's massively helpful to learning how to speak and listen properly as well- otherwise you're relying on inaccurate romanisations of Thai words. Most good schools will teach you the alphabet from day one, alongside speaking and writing- and it really does make a difference. It also unlocks a whole world of everyday Thai learning from just walking down the street and reading signs and so on. But especially as Thai is a tonal language with letters and sound type not used in Roman languages, I'd say learning to read it is near essential. smile.png

thumbsup.gif
we have already had a chat re this post and I appreciate his help so I'm just assuming your little icon is your 2 cents. Thank you but its old now..

thumbsup.gif
we have already had a chat re this post and I appreciate his help so I'm just assuming your little icon is your 2 cents. Thank you but its old now..

wai.gif

I studied for longer than 2 years and I can not write Thai because school does not teach writing.

I also do not understand when someone speaks fast and not clear and my Thai is good enough to do most things in Thai only

It appears the school also sucks--a Thai language school which does not teach the written Thai; more inappropriate than non-alcoholic beer

Attended 2 different schools and neither teach writing.

One expected students can just copy the letters.

One is a major sponsor and another was a pro language.

Do you know which schools teach writing?

My son attended Walen, they teach reading and writing. He reads, writes and speaks Thai very well--Thais are amazed with his pronunciation. Of course, his Thai wife, who is fluent in English, has helped him perhaps more than the school.

Hell, I speak English to some Americans and Aussies when I am in Thailand and you'd be surprised how many ask me to repeat what I said, so a Thai speaking quickly can be hard to understand too.

Accent and speed of speech can make a huge difference in understanding someone.

Accent and speed of speech are  EXTREMELY important, and volume also.

I know a Japanese fellow who worked extensively in the West, and speaks excellent English.

However, I find it very hard to understand him, because he speaks in very fast, clipped fashion,

and very softly as well.

A mutual friend, Japanese like the first fellow, speaks basic English, has a much smaller

vocabulary, and although very well educated, is low in general knowledge. It is more pleasant

to talk with him, because he speaks slowly, distinctly, and loudly enough.

The thai alphabet and the tonal aspect of the language intimidate me. There seems to be 

nothing there for me to relate to. The Greek alphabet I could handle. I am short of 70, and

have a lot difficulty memorizing things.  

But especially as Thai is a tonal language with letters and sound type not used in Roman languages, I'd say learning to read it is near essential. smile.png

The Vietnamese handle the tones with accents.  With the use of accents, it's perfectly possibly to record Thai in the Roman script more accurately than the Thai script does.

Edited by Richard W