Russian tourism departures and arrivals are down from a third to half

sojourner007

They should build more wind turbines 555555555555555.

They are . Germany gets up to 50% of their energy from wind and solar on a good day. The Netherlands are way ahead there as well. I think they get up to 40% of their energy from wind now. Things ARE changing but it's still going to take decades before oil/gas reliance becomes a non-issue.

Edited by lapd

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are . Germany gets up to 50% of their energy from wind and solar on a good day. The Netherlands are way ahead there as well. I think they get up to 40% of their energy from wind now. Things ARE changing but it's still going to take decades before oil/gas reliance becomes a non-issue.

Where do you get this nonsense???? From Bloomberg Business Week, 14 August 2014:

As Europe struggles to ease its dependency on Russian gas, Germany is getting ever greener: During the first half of 2014, the nation generated 31 percent of its electricity from renewable energy sources, according to a recent report by the Fraunhofer Institute (PDF). Excluding hydro, renewables accounted for 27 percent of electricity production, up from 24 percent last year.

Solar and wind alone made up a whopping 17 percent of power generation, up from around 12 percent to 13 percent in the past few years,” according to Renewables International, which provides a helpful rundown of the Fraunhofer report. The country’s solar power plants increased total production by 28 percent compared with the first half of 2013, while wind power grew about 19 percent.

Germany still derives most of its energy from coal, though consumption of brown coal dropped 4 percent. Power from natural gas fell 25 percent, while nuclear power decreased by only about 2 percent.

The U.S. produces far more renewable energy than Germany in terms of quantity. But as a percent of total energy production, America falls short. In 2013 wind accounted for 4 percent of total electricity generation, and solar made up 0.23 percent, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Geothermal was at 0.41 percent; biomass, 1.48 percent.

Germany’s government and population are famous for their environmental zeal. “Green, do-gooding Germans have long been at the sharp end of jokes, often for good reason,” writes Rose Jacobs in her Newsweek piece, “Doing It the German Way.” “Their water conservation efforts were so enthusiastic in the 1990s and early 2000s that by 2009 sewage systems were suffering from too little water running through them.”

There is nothing wrong with electricity produced from the sun or wind, apart from the fact that it is unreliable and costs 2 to 5 times as much as fossil fuel generated power -- it all turns the lights on. To have power when you want it, at a reasonable price, fossil fuels (and nuclear) are the only games in town and will be for generations to come -- sorry to burst your illusion/delusion. There is a big push now in Europe to reduce the dependence on Russian gas, which is probably a good thing. But it will come at a significant cost. Let's see how long that drive lasts when it starts to affect their pocketbooks. Germany can probably afford it, the rest of Europe clearly cannot. And as the article says, to suggest that Germany pursues any social policy in a correct and positive manner is likely a mistake and not one to be followed, unless you want to end up bankrupt. Next...............

• Like 2

Where do you get this nonsense???? From Bloomberg Business Week, 14 August 2014:

As Europe struggles to ease its dependency on Russian gas, Germany is getting ever greener: During the first half of 2014, the nation generated 31 percent of its electricity from renewable energy sources, according to a recent report by the Fraunhofer Institute (PDF). Excluding hydro, renewables accounted for 27 percent of electricity production, up from 24 percent last year.

Solar and wind alone made up a whopping 17 percent of power generation, up from around 12 percent to 13 percent in the past few years,” according to Renewables International, which provides a helpful rundown of the Fraunhofer report. The country’s solar power plants increased total production by 28 percent compared with the first half of 2013, while wind power grew about 19 percent.

Germany still derives most of its energy from coal, though consumption of brown coal dropped 4 percent. Power from natural gas fell 25 percent, while nuclear power decreased by only about 2 percent.

The U.S. produces far more renewable energy than Germany in terms of quantity. But as a percent of total energy production, America falls short. In 2013 wind accounted for 4 percent of total electricity generation, and solar made up 0.23 percent, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Geothermal was at 0.41 percent; biomass, 1.48 percent.

Germany’s government and population are famous for their environmental zeal. “Green, do-gooding Germans have long been at the sharp end of jokes, often for good reason,” writes Rose Jacobs in her Newsweek piece, “Doing It the German Way.” “Their water conservation efforts were so enthusiastic in the 1990s and early 2000s that by 2009 sewage systems were suffering from too little water running through them.”

There is nothing wrong with electricity produced from the sun or wind, apart from the fact that it is unreliable and costs 2 to 5 times as much as fossil fuel generated power -- it all turns the lights on. To have power when you want it, at a reasonable price, fossil fuels (and nuclear) are the only games in town and will be for generations to come -- sorry to burst your illusion/delusion. There is a big push now in Europe to reduce the dependence on Russian gas, which is probably a good thing. But it will come at a significant cost. Let's see how long that drive lasts when it starts to affect their pocketbooks. Germany can probably afford it, the rest of Europe clearly cannot. And as the article says, to suggest that Germany pursues any social policy in a correct and positive manner is likely a mistake and not one to be followed, unless you want to end up bankrupt. Next...............

I guess you don't understand how renewable energy like wind and solar work. I didn't spell it out because I assumed people are smart enough to connect the dots. I said "on a good day" and "up to". Reading comprehension much?

Add spain to the list as well. 38% of their demand was met by wind/solar in July. JULY...as in SUNNY in SPAIN JULY. Get it!

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/08/15/38-of-spains-july-electricity-demand-was-met-by-wind-and-solar-power/

Edited by lapd

• 2 weeks later...

Well given Russia is practically openly invading Ukraine now additional international sanctions will inevitably follow. This will mean less Russian tourists and a bleak future for the many businesses who depend on their custom. Not good news for the many hotels who would be gearing up for the annual "friendly" invasion of Thailand. And of course 711s, restaurants, massage clinics etc etc. But, judging by many replies to this topic, many Pattaya expats will be happy.

Well given Russia is practically openly invading Ukraine now additional international sanctions will inevitably follow. This will mean less Russian tourists and a bleak future for the many businesses who depend on their custom. Not good news for the many hotels who would be gearing up for the annual "friendly" invasion of Thailand. And of course 711s, restaurants, massage clinics etc etc. But, judging by many replies to this topic, many Pattaya expats will be happy.

Most Thais will take their business wherever they can get it but from what I hear Russians are not the best customers. They generally don't tip (or at least not much) and tend to treat the Thais badly from what I hear. So maybe they won't be missed as much as some people think.

Most Thais will take their business wherever they can get it but from what I hear Russians are not the best customers. They generally don't tip (or at least not much) and tend to treat the Thais badly from what I hear. So maybe they won't be missed as much as some people think.

It is true that they consider themselves superior to the Thai people and Asians in general. When my wife is at the markets they just push her around as though she is not there. .. of course she doesn't stand for it and pushes back lol. They're much bigger than her, but she doesn't care.

Edited by tropo

It is true that they consider themselves superior to the Thai people and Asians in general. When my wife is at the markets they just push her around as though she is not there. .. of course she doesn't stand for it and pushes back lol. They're much bigger than her, but she doesn't care.

I think they are oblivious to everyone (as a generalization). On baht buses I basically have to SIT ON THEM. Expecting them to be considerate and scoot over to free up the space is an impossible dream. If someone had told me years ago I would be routinely sitting on Russians, I would have called them crazy!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

They do the same to westerners. Cutting in lines (or ignoring they exist) is common if they think that they can get away with it. Tesco has 3 stacked "less than 10 items" lines, and I have watched them frequently ignore the people waiting and walk to the last/front (farthest away) register as if the rest of the people weren't waiting. Most people (especially the Thais, which is likely why they are taken advantage of) will ignore it, but one Thai woman put up a real fuss and the Russian man breaking the queue moved back in line. But with years of price controls, limited supplies and long lines, Russians have learned "survival of the fittest" when shopping -- hard habit to break. But the Rubble hit an all time low today, so the Russians coming to Thailand now may be a better heeled crowd with more courtesy and manners. Let's hope.

Edited by Thailaw
  • Like 2

They do the same to westerners. Cutting in lines (or ignoring they exist) is common if they think that they can get away with it. Tesco has 3 stacked "less than 10 items" lines, and I have watched them frequently ignore the people waiting and walk to the last/front (farthest away) register as if the rest of the people weren't waiting. Most people (especially the Thais, which is likely why they are taken advantage of) will ignore it, but one Thai woman put up a real fuss and the Russian man breaking the queue moved back in line. But with years of price controls, limited supplies and long lines, Russians have learned "survival of the fittest" when shopping -- hard habit to break. But the Rubble hit an all time low today, so the Russians coming to Thailand now may be a better heeled crowd with more courtesy and manners. Let's hope.

"courtesy and manners" sorry but the ruskies don,t-and never will-understand this whistling.gif

In June 2015 the Ruble/baht exchange rate was around 0.961, and is now at around 0.859, more than a 10% drop.

Its likely that the Russian which are here didnt cancel their trip because of Draconian cancelation policies over there, and are now trying to spend even less to minimize the impact of this depreciation.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the depreciation of the Ruble continues, and what will the impact on Pattaya would be.

In June 2015 the Ruble/baht exchange rate was around 0.961, and is now at around 0.859, more than a 10% drop.

Its likely that the Russian which are here didnt cancel their trip because of Draconian cancelation policies over there, and are now trying to spend even less to minimize the impact of this depreciation.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the depreciation of the Ruble continues, and what will the impact on Pattaya would be.

Not only that, with more sanctions to come because of Putins Ukrainian adventure, things are going to get very tight at home in Russia, they need a "Russian Spring" and kick this tyrant out for good

I think there will be much harsher sanctions soon. There is still a lot the NATO countries can do and not a lot Russia can do in response (economically) They can turn off the gas but that would arguably be worse for them then it would for Europe so would not be a very wise thing. Then again, Poots has not been making any wise decisions lately.

Edited by lapd

It's at a 10+ year low right now. In 2004-2005 it was around 1.4. That's a rather large drop in 10 years.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=RUB&to=THB&view=10Y

Edited by lapd

Russians are fun to watch (often eye candy city the men and the women) but when any ONE demographic dominates (as the Russians have in Pattaya/Jomtien) especially in high season, it makes the area less interesting. More diversity is always better. I am looking forward to increased Chinese presence ... as their FOOD is so much BETTER than Russian food (which is incredibly BORING).

Be careful what you wish for. You haven't seen rude till you've seen the Chinese tourists en masse in action. They make the Russians seem like the height of politeness. Seen them in action in Macau & Hong Kong acting like they own the places (which, er, actually they now do). Mass pushing plus plenty of spitting onto the streets. A most unpleasant combination.

I am hoping for more INDEPENDENT traveler Chinese tourism. I am really starting to see that A LOT MORE. I agree Chinese tour groups are scary!

And they take the whole street when they walk

Russians are fun to watch (often eye candy city the men and the women) but when any ONE demographic dominates (as the Russians have in Pattaya/Jomtien) especially in high season, it makes the area less interesting. More diversity is always better. I am looking forward to increased Chinese presence ... as their FOOD is so much BETTER than Russian food (which is incredibly BORING).

Be careful what you wish for. You haven't seen rude till you've seen the Chinese tourists en masse in action. They make the Russians seem like the height of politeness. Seen them in action in Macau & Hong Kong acting like they own the places (which, er, actually they now do). Mass pushing plus plenty of spitting onto the streets. A most unpleasant combination.

I am hoping for more INDEPENDENT traveler Chinese tourism. I am really starting to see that A LOT MORE. I agree Chinese tour groups are scary!

And they take the whole street when they walk

The only thing that bothers me is those big diesel belching buses clogging up the streets.

Edited by lapd

"courtesy and manners" sorry but the ruskies don,t-and never will-understand this whistling.gif

Using a broad brush seldom paints an accurate picture.

It's at a 10+ year low right now. In 2004-2005 it was around 1.4. That's a rather large drop in 10 years.

Almost as bad as the Pound.

Yes, but 10 years ago Russian tourism in Pattaya was virtually non-existent.

Check the drop in other currencies from 2004 until present and you'll find they dropped even more.

I don't believe a 10% currency drop is enough on its own to deter Russian tourists. Let's wait until the start of the high season to see what happens.

Check the drop in other currencies from 2004 until present and you'll find they dropped even more.

I don't believe a 10% currency drop is enough on its own to deter Russian tourists. Let's wait until the start of the high season to see what happens.

The Ruble dropped more than the Pound and the USD. Requires basic math skills and 5 minutes at the above link.

Edited by lapd

The Ruble dropped more than the Pound and the USD. Requires basic math skills and 5 minutes at the above link.

It didn't even take 5 minutes. smile.png The USD dropped a maximum of only 32% over your timescale, and the EUR only 30%. The GBP dropped a maximum of nearly 43% in that timescale, which exceeds even the RUB.

The point was that big currency drops are commonplace and don't necessarily spell doom and gloom.... and as I already mentioned, the RUB is not of much relevance more than 5 years ago, where basic math skills will reveal the maximum fluctuation was only 26%, and the average fluctuation far less.

in fact there was a substantial drop in value in the June, 2008 to Feb, 2009 period (41% over 8 months), yet the Russians continued to come in large numbers.

Edited by tropo