Thai Interior Ministry: Exemption of visa fees considered for European tourists

webfact

I don't understand the idea of free visas to boost tourism. Why should someone come for holiday in a country just because you don't have to pay 35 USD for a visa? I mean if I have to decide to do holiday in Thailand or in Vietnam will would I say "Ohh if I go to Thailand I would save 35 bucks now. So lets go to Thailand."

Problem is not only in the visa fee , its more like you can't do it by mail anymore , as an independant entrepreneur I loose 2 days of work , thats 350 euros a day , so without travelling expences its 730,-- euros for my visa .

What about parents travelling with there kids ?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it never stops ....massive clampdown , now free tourist visas that assist the very people they were trying to get rid of ....i find this really irritating for what non imm visa applicants have to do and pay

Thailand is not trying to get rid of tourists. It is getting rid of people who are working here with tourist visas.

Perception is more powerful than fact.

Thailand has unwittingly unleashed a PR disaster.

What has decades to cultivate is unraveling fast.

I have no objection whatsoever if they waive the fee for my next tourist visa.

Every little helps with the demands on my Mastercard wink.png

Last time I got a free visa it cost a lot more than paying upfront. They would only do single entry which meant I had to travel to Phnom Penh to get a second visa. I will pay the visa fee thank you.

TAT - If you want to attract more quality tourists, it is simple - CLARIFY the maximum number of days in a year you consider it okay for a person of any nationality to be a TOURIST.

Forget about freebies - do you want quality tourists who are excited and make their travel arrangements based on the fact they do not have to pay?

Okay?

Clarification on exactly how many days out of the country before returning on a new visas andhow many tourist visas/extensions in a year is allowed is probably the biggest issue visitors are dealing with.

Suspicion of working illegally should be a matter of local enforcement within the county. Perhaps hefty fines/whistle blowing rewards for turning in these critters would be better than insinuating that everyone who enters frequently must be working.

I would not be waiting for them to reply....but news and rumours both have been flying around like tossed salad. If the tourist industry declines, I am sure clarification will be given. People are generally flexible to new changes, as long as they understand the rules. 24 hours/1 week/1 month... whatever the case

Edited by slipperylobster

Tomorrow i am going to the visa office to apply for triple entry tourist visa, it costs almost 4000baht. I will be a bit disappointed if they just remove the fee straight afterwards, but i probably shouldn't hold my breath waiting?

I don't understand the idea of free visas to boost tourism. Why should someone come for holiday in a country just because you don't have to pay 35 USD for a visa? I mean if I have to decide to do holiday in Thailand or in Vietnam will would I say "Ohh if I go to Thailand I would save 35 bucks now. So lets go to Thailand."

Don't find the stamp in my passport, but spent one (1) day in USA crossing border from Canada in may 2011 and got 6 months if I remember correctly, I see the Canadian stamps but no USA.

If you don't believe me I have pics of the border crossing....

I have no objection whatsoever if they waive the fee for my next tourist visa.

Every little helps with the demands on my Mastercard wink.png

Last time I got a free visa it cost a lot more than paying upfront. They would only do single entry which meant I had to travel to Phnom Penh to get a second visa. I will pay the visa fee thank you.

Probably because they only gave a single entry at your port of call anyway.

I took my usual double or triple entry, as it fit with my itinerary. There was no objection

So they have finally realised the extreme budget minded tourists from China, India, Russia aren't benefiting the tourist industry like they though. And now they want the big spenders back. Well sorry, the big spenders haven't got the big holiday budgets of old!

• Like 1

it never stops ....massive clampdown , now free tourist visas that assist the very people they were trying to get rid of ....i find this really irritating for what non imm visa applicants have to do and pay

Again, no logics here, willy nilly policies, no rhymes or good reasons, spare of the moment decisions,

only to be rescinded later.. I often wonder how this country doesn't fall apart at the seems...

In other words 'discrimination based on nationality'. This is not such wonderful news for Australians, Americans, and Canadians, just to name a few nations which have well-supported Thailand's tourism industry for years.

And what about us poor kiwis (New Zealanders ) we have always supported Thailand and Soi 3. 5 & 7 in Nana

• Like 2

The problem is tourism is down British passport holders can come to the Kingdom for free for 30 days so this would not effect them as from late August they will be able to reunite that visa for a further 30 days at a cost around 1,900 baht. I have to assume that they are trying to encourage more visitors from those countries that normally have to pay even to come for a fortnight . Thailand does depend on tourists to boost the economy however once they have got you here they make it so difficult for those who want to stay for much longer periods think it's a case of come for 30 days spend your money and sod off back home !!

• Like 2

Well I am put off by the aggravation of having to obtain a visa, and pay for it, for example going to Bali. It is such a disorganised circus.

That really applies for short trips to me......I would love to get 15 days visa exempt.

As to a tourist visa to Thailand, the only reason would be for a longer stay, over 30 days, and paying for a visa would not be a worry. It actually makes sense to charge for the consular services.

Wouldn't this kinda render moot the recent changes in visa regulations for 30-90 day visas?

No mention of AUS/NZ or North Americans?

Imm. Dept zigs and zags. They should allow input from a few farang as advisors on their policy changes. We're the people it mostly affects. Plus: it would be better for Thailand to have sensible and consistent policies. One of many improvements could be (for visa renewals), not forcing every farang to travel to national borders/countries. It's expensive, it burns fossil fuels, and time consuming.

Does that include Australia?

Oh man.. I talk about the bad education in Thailand and you come along and have no idea that Australia is not part of Europe

Ianatlarge thinks he still lives in a British penal colony, hasn't chewed off his shackles yet. So his confusion is understandable. Edited by tubby johnson
  • Like 2

In other words 'discrimination based on nationality'. This is not such wonderful news for Australians, Americans, and Canadians, just to name a few nations which have well-supported Thailand's tourism industry for years.

And what about us poor kiwis (New Zealanders ) ....
And South Africans, and Latin/South Americans. Methinks the policy, if enacted, will include N.America (US, Canada, but not Mexico) and Aus/NZ. When Thais think of the word 'farang', they first think of Europeans. Secondly, they lump in Americans. Thirdly, they lump in other, mostly white-skinned people from outside of Asia. Fourth, are those who are not white, who reside outside Asia. Are Thais mightily fixated on skin color? You tell me.
  • Like 2

This is not new news...in the sense that...the Thai govt. has done this same kind of thing, no-fee tourist visas for limited periods of time, several times in past years. Those times, like now, came when they were trying to boost tourism and/or recover from some major negative thing.

It's what's done so well here; re-using and recycling old, previously tried ideas -- regardless of whether they have any value or merit.

Is Australia still a British penal colony?

If not, consult an atlas. Check whether Australia is located near Europe enough to qualify as European.

Australia used to allow any one into the country, as long as they came in a boat

they even threw money at them

• Like 1

Oh man.. I talk about the bad education in Thailand and you come along and have no idea that Australia is not part of Europe

Ianatlarge thinks he still lives in a British penal colony, hasn't chewed off his shackles yet. So his confusion is understandable.

Must be from the US, for them the world stops at their border, might have heard of Mexiko and Canada but that's it. Australia? Is this a new sausage?

• Like 2

Thailand is not trying to get rid of tourists. It is getting rid of people who are working here with tourist visas.

But why is my question? also working without a work permit NOT a tourist visa is illegal.

people who work here put money back into the economy. if they dont work they cant sign on the dole. so whats the beef?

How generous and what a bright idea, now they all gonna come. better to get ready for a big wave of loaded European tourists.

Dear Thai, if you want to boost your tourism sector you'd better clean your countries garbage piles laying around everywhere you look (even in national parks), stop your double pricing.

This is for starters to give you an idea where and what to look for to make a vacation in your country more attractive and there are so many things more to be improved, no one gives a fart about your free visa, quality of the vacation is what it is all about.

Focus on the product and service, otherwise forget it.

• Like 1

This was madness last time, totally self defeating, people who were paying for a 3 month non-o went to a free tourist visa .. I guess that's one way to boost the numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app