Supreme Court rejects Sondhi’s bail request

Lite Beer

The justice system in this country is upside-down.  This guy who did not physically harm anyone can't get bail and gets 20 years in jail, but convicted murderers can get bail so they can go out again and kill.  Doctor's who cut up their ex-wives only go to jail for 10 years, but a husband and wife who look for food in a National Park go to jail for many years.

The murders' victims and their families are hurt on the one hand and on the other hand, these 'white collar' criminals damage thousand if not millions of people. The white collar criminals may not be as heinous but their number of victims is huge by comparison. I hope this helps explain a possible rationale.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, not surprisingly, the news reports in this thread contain very opposite info.

In the first report, it makes it sound like the Supreme Court denied his bail mainly on procedural grounds, that his appeal hadn't yet been filed with the high court. That would leave open the chance for reconsideration once their formal appeal is filed.

But in The Nation report, they make no mention of that and instead said the denial was based on fear he might flee the country, which is a ruling on the facts of the case. If that's why bail was denied, then he's probably likely to stay in jail.

Anyone have any better info, on what the basis for the ruling was???

• Like 1

Sondhi created the yellow-shirts and lead the mass demonstrations against Thaksin back in 2006.

These demonstrations paved the way for the coup that removed Thaksin in 2006. The coup was done, and an election was arranged a year later. Thaksin won the election, and once again, Sondhi was organizing demonstrations against Thaksin. This is when the yellow-shirts took over the airport, and later, Abhisit and the Democrats took over the country (it was done without an election).

Yes, Sondhi was the main man against Thaksin, but right now, today, Sondhi is no longer useful to the system. Sondhi is a sacrificial lamb. The system has to, at the very least, appear to be dishing out justice to everybody. If they only dished out justice to the Thaksinites, well yes, there will be demonstrations.

Suthep himself is now, no longer useful. It might be the case that Suthep will be sacrificed later. 

Sondhi created the yellow-shirts and lead the mass demonstrations against Thaksin back in 2006.

These demonstrations paved the way for the coup that removed Thaksin in 2006. The coup was done, and an election was arranged a year later. Thaksin won the election, and once again, Sondhi was organizing demonstrations against Thaksin. This is when the yellow-shirts took over the airport, and later, Abhisit and the Democrats took over the country (it was done without an election).

Yes, Sondhi was the main man against Thaksin, but right now, today, Sondhi is no longer useful to the system. Sondhi is a sacrificial lamb. The system has to, at the very least, appear to be dishing out justice to everybody. If they only dished out justice to the Thaksinites, well yes, there will be demonstrations.

Suthep himself is now, no longer useful. It might be the case that Suthep will be sacrificed later. 

Hope so.

When Thaksin-affiliated parties won the 2007 general election, Sondhi became the major player in the 2008–2009 Thai political crisis, leading the PAD in violent clashes with security forces and anti-PAD protestors as well as the seizure of Government HouseDon Muang Airport, and Suvarnabhumi Airport. Sondhi is more or less a supporter of the Democrat Party and stopped the PAD's protests after Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva was appointed Prime Minister.

In April 2009, Abhisit faced massive anti-government protests led by the pro-Thaksin red shirts which caused the Fourth East Asian Summit to be canceled and was followed by riots in Bangkok. Days after the Bangkok unrest was quelled by military force, gunmen ambushed Sondhi's car, a black Toyota Vellfire, at a petrol station. They shot out the tires, and fired over 100 M-16 and AK-47 assault rifle rounds at the car. The attackers escaped from the scene when Sondhi's followers in another car opened fire on them. Sondhi suffered a serious head wound but remained conscious, standing and lucid before being sent to a hospital for emergency surgery.[1] Sondhi survived the surgery, which involved removing several bullet fragments embedded about half a centimetre deep in his skull. It is not certain who was behind the shooting, though Sondhi's son and PAD's spokesmen speculated that a faction of the military or police might have been behind it

This guy has been a toxic force in this country for so long. Besides the questionably mean he has used in acquiring some of his fortune, he has torn apart the fabric of Thai society, and been responsible for countless deaths due to the rioting and the protests. He is also responsible for substantial damage to the Thai economy, due to those antics. For this judge to not grant him bail, that took a lot of courage. Maybe this will lead to something. Maybe we will see Thai society changing and improving? This is a very big deal when a guy this rich cannot buy his way out of these charges, nor purchase bail. The army really seems to be making a difference. We can only hope that this can be sustained, in some sort of meaningful way, for the long term. Just the thought of going back to the days of Thaksin or Abhisit makes one cringe. Such mediocrity, and such ineffectiveness. 

• Like 1

Great  news…this appears more and more like a law reformation period for Thai which means irrespective of who you are, no-one is above the law in Thailand anymore. Therefore, no one should be surprised if any Hi-so ends up receiving a jail term. Now has anyone seen bad boy Red Bull heir Vorayuth Yoovidhya? Khun Sondhi needs a cell buddy/bitch.

Edited by MK1

But he is a yellow shirt and this can't be happening, Yellow shirts are squeaky clean and beyond criticism.  Maybe now people may just start to understand that corruption and other criminal activities are spread across both sides and not exclusive to red shirts.

Chooka, if you could take off your rose-tinted glasses for just a moment, you would see that a good proportion of us who are anti-corruption (anti-Thaksin, same thing) have been calling for this all along.

This is nothing to do with whether he is a yellow shirt (which of course he predates) or one of your beloved red shirts. The reason that gen. Prayuth stepped in is to bring all of this corruption to an end, which I continue to applaud.

Now what you need to do is try to adopt a similar impartial stance and finally cast off your obvious bias...!!

Where is my bias????????  If you bothered to read my post I actually said that corruption and other criminal activities are spread across both sides.  How is that being biased to one or the other.  I actually thought saying both sides were involved in corruption was taking an impartial stance.

My beloved reds shirts are you bloody serious????????????  I hate the piece of excrement called Thaksin and his red shirts.  I also hate the piece of filth Suthep and his mad monk.  I do however support all the good people caught in the middle. 

Just because I don't support your mad monk and the idiot Suthep friend that does not make me a red shirt.

Great  newsthis appears more and more like a law reformation period for Thai which means irrespective of who you are, no-one is above the law in Thailand. Therefore, no one should be surprised if any Hi-so ends up receiving a jail term. Now has anyone seen bad boy Red Bull heir Vorayuth Yoovidhya? Khun Sondhi needs a cell buddy/bitch.

That would be nice but this is Thailand.
Whenever I see a law being upheld, makes me wonder why?

Who ordered the judge to lock this guy up is my question.
Get rid of that person and Thailand could move forward.

I don't really understand your riddle or what your assuming. If this result had occurred or the case dismissed under either the Pheu Thai or the Democratic party then many would’ve claimed that the Judges decision was politically motivated or influenced. Then, this must be seen as a fair outcome in terms of justice served.

Edited by MK1

Looks like the powers that be are letting their once main man fall under the bus, as he is a liability and no longer needed now they have what they want.

Its a win win for them, lock up this blabber mouth and appear to be impartial, whereas really they wanted to get rid of him anyway.

(I am still very skeptical he will serve any real time though, the supreme court nearly as much as saying that if he goes through the proper channels he is likely to get bail-would be the ultimate twist if TS and this fella eventually joined forces!)

The guy owns media. They darent push him so far that he has nothing to lose. The dirt that he knows about everyone would be just astronomical.

They would be better to let him leave because at his age 20 years is the end so 1000 years for less majeste or defamation means nothing.
  • Like 1

Sondhi is the founder of the Manager Media Group.

A fortnight ago, the NCPO suspended the ASTV Manager Weekly magazine on the charge of publishing distorted information to discredit the Junta.

The NCPO sees Sondhi as a rabid loose cannon who can no longer be trusted to toe the line.

Unlike Suthep, who has at least kept his head down and his nose clean for a couple of months.

Edited by tx22cb

now this is a surprise, the courts not granting bail to the rich and powerful, maybe we are seeing the start of something worth while at last. Lets hope this catches on and more people are refused bail so they cannot simply skip the country.

Don't make too much of it. He brought this on himself by turning against the PAD. Don't you remember they tried to have him hit? Although it did seem strange that at least three guys with fully automatic weapons didn't manage the job. Anyway, he pissed off people who are even more powerful than nim.

Sondhi is the founder of the Manager Media Group.
A fortnight ago, the NCPO suspended the ASTV Manager Weekly magazine on the charge of publishing distorted information to discredit the Junta.
The NCPO sees Sondhi as a rabid loose cannon who can no longer be trusted to toe the line.
Unlike Suthep, who has at least kept his head down and his nose clean for a couple of months.

Good points. In re: Suthep, I thought I saw a fragment of a clip on one of the news shows which showed him wearing a saffron robe. Did he take the NCPOs "advice" and retire to a monastery for a while? It's a traditional Thai way of telling everyone you're stepping out of the action. I really regret that I didn't drop whatever it was I was doig and turn up the volume on the TV. I haven't seen any other mention of Suthep's current whereabouts.

now this is a surprise, the courts not granting bail to the rich and powerful, maybe we are seeing the start of something worth while at last. Lets hope this catches on and more people are refused bail so they cannot simply skip the country.

Don't make too much of it. He brought this on himself by turning against the PAD. Don't you remember they tried to have him hit? Although it did seem strange that at least three guys with fully automatic weapons didn't manage the job. Anyway, he pissed off people who are even more powerful than nim.

Totally wrong assessment followed by conspiracy theory.

He didn't turn against the PAD but withdrew from leadership due to a number of court cases warning him not to get involved in political demonstrations. There is no evidence that the PAD were the ones who tried to contract-kill him. As the police usually went after any anti-government figures, they failed to even to find a scapegoat.

The facts now are that the Appeal Court rejected his appeal against the sentence in a lower court and refused to grant him bail. He can still appeal to the Supreme Court. The legal system winding its slow way to final justice. Anything more is sheer uninformed conspiracy theory which this thread is full of.

Be realistic people. Do you really think he's in the piss-stinking, cockroach infested, overcrowded hell holes they keep the poor people? He's in some luxury detention facility

Please provide ANY additional information/links/sources/photos for this facility that only exists in your imagined mind. rolleyes.gif

Where are the photos of him in his prison suit? The media are usually not reluctant to publish them. Which prison is he being held in? You're extremely naive if you believe he's being held in the same place they put the poor junkies.

Be realistic people. Do you really think he's in the piss-stinking, cockroach infested, overcrowded hell holes they keep the poor people? He's in some luxury detention facility

Please provide ANY additional information/links/sources/photos for this facility that only exists in your imagined mind. rolleyes.gif

Where are the photos of him in his prison suit? The media are usually not reluctant to publish them. Which prison is he being held in? You're extremely naive if you believe he's being held in the same place they put the poor junkies.

He is in jail pending a probable appeal to the Supreme Court. I can't find out where he's being held but it very unlikely to be the special more-comfortable jail that was reserved for red shirt offenders.

It is very doubtful that Thailand has any 'luxury detention facilities' - only some that may be slightly more bearable when a prisoner is at risk to other prisoners.

Edited by khunken

Hope enjoys his stay. Which will last till his appeal is in with the supreme court.

Weeks, maybe months. The bail, then do a runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Check the title again: "Supreme Court rejects Sondhi's bail request."

And you check the basis on which they did that..,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"Why am I in here so long?! I'm RICH, how can I be in jail!!!!" cheesy.gif

And his 10 million proposed bail is pathetic for the damage he caused. Justice must be served, or else all others will think it's okay to cause damage worth billions and only have to pay a petty fine. Fines are usually larger than the damages caused, Mr. Tycoon. I think he calculated his bail as just a cost of doing business.

But he is a yellow shirt and this can't be happening, Yellow shirts are squeaky clean and beyond criticism.  Maybe now people may just start to understand that corruption and other criminal activities are spread across both sides and not exclusive to red shirts.

As you term it, I think you'll find that the majority of the "yellow shirt" supporters on here would applaud the taking down of ANYONE who has broken the law, whichever color shirt they wear or whichever side they support. Unlike the "red shirt" supporters who still seem to labor under the illusion that their hero's are squeaky clean and any charges against them are "politically motivated" or "biased".

Definitely agree.              Well said.  

I thought by now it would have been apparent to chooka that most anti- gov supporters only want law and order. Why does he say, sarcastically, that "Yellow shirts are squeaky clean and beyond criticism" , who has ever stated that?

I imagine most of the anti- gov supporters already know that not all criminal activities are exclusive to red shirts.

• Like 1

If he agrees to keep his mouth shut about who ordered the 2006 coup he will be allowed to flee Thailand I predict.

And what makes you think he is privy to who ordered the coup, he was leading the protests not heading up any coup and besides the charges he has been found guilty of have nothing to do with the coup anyway.
  • Like 2

Be realistic people. Do you really think he's in the piss-stinking, cockroach infested, overcrowded hell holes they keep the poor people? He's in some luxury detention facility and will be free in a few weeks, just like the Red Bull heir and all the other rich crooks in Thailand.

I prefer the wait and see approach.