Flying from BKK to MEX, Mexico City while avoiding EU & U.S.

onlycw

Via Tokyo at USD2062 one way.   Found that on dohop.com  pretty good site that does not throw up 5 other sites unless you ask for it.

Maybe Korea, Taiwan or Philippines, Canada as well ?  Definitely London, though that may be problematic for EU.

Cheers

• Like 1

AeroMexico fly direct NRT-MEX. No idea on costs. Also Air Canada via Vancouver my be an option.

Aeromexico also has three flights from Shanghai to Mexico City with a stop in Tijuana.

Numerous flights from Bangkok to Shanghai.

Not much hope that you will find a cheap flight with these restrictions.

Flying westward is much longer.

So via Narita Tokyo makes best sense.

This is the cheapest I found for your pref.

Bankok - Shanghai - Tokyo Narita - Mexico

19157148bg.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

I've done it many times.  Best way avoiding the US  is Thai or LH direct to Frankfurt, then  Frankfurt direct to Mexico City on LH.  Not a longer trip at all.  Don't forget that all eastbound flights out of BKK going to the Americas stopover somewhere else in Asia before crossing adding a bunch of time.  These flights are both non-stops, about 10 hours each.

First time I did this route I was shocked how many passengers fly from FRA to MEX and return.  Daily (I think) 747-400 that is always nearly full.

If you are Star or LH Gold, the FRA lounge is one of the best; shower rooms, sleeping area and very good food.

If you like authentic Mexican food, there is a great food court in Mexico City Airport, Terminal 2, very reasonable prices.

Edited by dddave

I've done it many times.  Best way avoiding the US  is Thai or LH direct to Frankfurt, then  Frankfurt direct to Mexico City on LH.  Not a longer trip at all.  Don't forget that all eastbound flights out of BKK going to the Americas stopover somewhere else in Asia before crossing adding a bunch of time.  These flights are both non-stops, about 10 hours each.

First time I did this route I was shocked how many passengers fly from FRA to MEX and return.  Daily (I think) 747-400 that is always nearly full.

If you are Star or LH Gold, the FRA lounge is one of the best; shower rooms, sleeping area and very good food.

If you like authentic Mexican food, there is a great food court in Mexico City Airport, Terminal 2, very reasonable prices.

If the OP is trying to avoid the US and EU, I don't think Frankfort works.

If, by "avoiding US" means avoiding even a stopover there, then the suggestions of BKK to Vancouver (YVR) won't work well either.

Almost all flights from YVR to MEX  require a change of planes somewhere in the US. While it might be possible to fly from YVR to Toronto to catch a non-stop to MEX, that will be costly in time and money. I think there is only one non-stop flight YVR-MEX, that's Air Canada Flt#996 (#997 on the return) but it's about 27k baht RT (plus the RT cost of BKK-YVR).

If, by "avoiding US" means avoiding even a stopover there, then the suggestions of BKK to Vancouver (YVR) won't work well either.

Almost all flights from YVR to MEX  require a change of planes somewhere in the US. While it might be possible to fly from YVR to Toronto to catch a non-stop to MEX, that will be costly in time and money. I think there is only one non-stop flight YVR-MEX, that's Air Canada Flt#996 (#997 on the return) but it's about 27k baht RT (plus the RT cost of BKK-YVR).

Whoops...my bad.  I didn't register the EU part, just the US.

As said: the best chance I found is nonstop over the pacific from Shanghai to Tijuana and on to Mexico City.

AM099 continuing to Mexico. 11:35h nonstop to Tijuana.

Aeromexico (AM 099)

Dep.: 10:45 - Shanghai (PVG) Terminal 2

Arr.: 07:20 - Tijuana (TIJ)

Duration 11:35h

Plane type: 777-200/300

Edited by KhunBENQ

I don't know OP reasons for wanting to avoid the U.S. and EU but mine would be to avoid the oppressive jackboot U.S. Airport TSA. 

it has occurred to me that if I didn't care about the expense, I could take that Bkk, China, Japan - Mexico City route - then take a bus home to Texas.   The Mexican border is a sieve - could perhaps just hire a taxi at a border town and cross over with a wave through...  Well that could have been done some years back as I recall walking back and forth across the border and no one even looked up at me.   But today likely not.. but it would be fun to see the faces of the U.S. Border Immigration officers as they examine my passport... I would have to travel light because after looking at my passport - Thailand - Mexico - maybe with a China or Japan stamp - the border police and TSA would want to perform a cavity search... smile.png

Oh - okay I know some of you will chime in and say the TSA are just a bunch of nice Boy Scouts -- okay do that... we can just differ in our opinion. 

Edited by JDGRUEN

Probably visa issues. Nearly everyone needs a visa to transit the US - only Canadians and visa exempt nationalities on the VWP don't, but the latter group may still require an electronic pre-approval (ESTA) since you can't transit the US without passing through immigration and customs.

The EU is less of an issue since many nationalities (most actually) can transit en-route to a third country without the need for a transit visa, and this includes Thais I believe if there is only one stop in Europe and no internal EU/Schengen flights need to be made.

As for Canada, I highly doubt your story about few flights from Vancouver or generally Canada to Mexico is accurate. Canada is the second most popular embarkation point for flights to Mexico after the US and I believe a myriad of Mexican airlines and Air Canada fly routes between Vancouver and other points in Canada, and Mexico. Vancouver is one of the largest airports in North America (not just Canada) so surely there would be plenty of connections. Not sure about prices though. Anyway I'm too lazy to check Wikipedia's Vancouver airport page, but it will likely show more than just Air Canada on that route.

My destination actually was Havana Cuba from Bangkok so I went  Eva Air to Los Angeles and then connected 2 hours later with Mexicana without any stopover other than changing planes in LAX to Mexico City (and then on to Havana)

Edited by Asiantravel

Probably visa issues. Nearly everyone needs a visa to transit the US - only Canadians and visa exempt nationalities on the VWP don't, but the latter group may still require an electronic pre-approval (ESTA) since you can't transit the US without passing through immigration and customs.

The EU is less of an issue since many nationalities (most actually) can transit en-route to a third country without the need for a transit visa, and this includes Thais I believe if there is only one stop in Europe and no internal EU/Schengen flights need to be made.

As for Canada, I highly doubt your story about few flights from Vancouver or generally Canada to Mexico is accurate. Canada is the second most popular embarkation point for flights to Mexico after the US and I believe a myriad of Mexican airlines and Air Canada fly routes between Vancouver and other points in Canada, and Mexico. Vancouver is one of the largest airports in North America (not just Canada) so surely there would be plenty of connections. Not sure about prices though. Anyway I'm too lazy to check Wikipedia's Vancouver airport page, but it will likely show more than just Air Canada on that route.

No one was questioning his reasons for avoiding the US and EU.

And yes, you're being lazy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_International_Airport#Airlines_and_destinations

It may exist, but I can't find any other non-stops YVR-MEX. West Jet has a few seasonal flights to other cities in Mexico but I think we've already determined that the best routing to MEX is via Shanghai.

• Like 1

The fastest routing for Asia-Latin America would be via Frankfurt, most expats on home leave choosing this option.
Different to US and it's TSA, no hassle in Frankfurt, as you are anyway staying in the international area, also not with the checked luggage, as prime airlines are checking it through. Edited by BernieOnTour

Are you a Zeta?

Huh? Me not knowing what you are asking might be the answer you want?

We found Aeroflot from BKK via SVO to HAV and a connection from Havana. There's no Transit visa needed if one stays less than 24 hours in the transit zone of SVO.