Which cooking oil to use?

KVJ

From what I can ascertain, Rice Bran Oil is amongst the best, even though I use EV Olive oil for salads/dressings etc, using it just occasionally for frying an egg or similar.

7 hours ago, cooked said:

I recently read that it is difficult to get pure olive oil in Europe, so I'm pretty sure that it'd be impossible in Thailand. Also because of the low smoke point, it isn't really suitable for cooking. It goes rancid pretty quickly, possibly in your kitchen but almost certainly on its way to the place where you buy it.

Extra virgin anything has a shorter shelf life yes.  That is the tradeoff.  I can still cook with extra virgin olive oil up to 400F with no smoke which is the highest setting on my air fryer.  Frying pan and stir fry is probably too hot unless you try keep the heat down so better to use refined olive oil for that.

Edited by shdmn

On 7/17/2024 at 2:06 PM, cooked said:

I recently read that it is difficult to get pure olive oil in Europe, so I'm pretty sure that it'd be impossible in Thailand. Also because of the low smoke point, it isn't really suitable for cooking. It goes rancid pretty quickly, possibly in your kitchen but almost certainly on its way to the place where you buy it.

image.gif.5202cf8346dd58ae2c30fe6b0b55e602.gif

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

image.gif.5202cf8346dd58ae2c30fe6b0b55e602.gif

Well, presumably, I'm talking about the latest research, which you won't have access to as anything that has been taught to you (indoctrinated) since childhood, must be true, anything else is a conspiracy theory. 

• 1 month later...

I may have to reconsider my oil choices, as recently using EV Olive Oil & Sesame (low heat/dressing),  Peanut (high heat searing), and Coconut (chocolate), Butter & Tallow.  Saw this, and does go against most vids I've been seeing lately.

Important part of vid, all cholesterol numbers were better.  Mentions same when compared to Olive oil.  Seed oils definitely get a bad rap from 'influencers. 

oil.png

On 8/10/2014 at 8:57 AM, h90 said:

we either don't use oil.....you can do many things surprisingly without oil...like fry an egg or pork. Where it does not get hot, extra virgin olive oil.

Where oil is needed we make pork fat ourself. But it is expensive.

Is Thailand perhaps becoming too expensive for you?

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

OP ....   I think if you can buy a large Canola oil or Sunflower oil you'd be fine with that....check the prices at Makro and see what suits.  

1 hour ago, In Full Agreement said:

Is Thailand perhaps becoming too expensive for you?

Hope the 'they' found an oil they liked, although you never know, as it's only been 10 years :coffee1:

image.png.ec414046cce26fd5327bbf75a0e38c9c.png

image.png.6e5633e97ab5249af994dff888fca780.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, steven100 said:

well,   maybe they're still looking ....  but I hope not 

Yea, I do spend a bit of time myself, reading labels, and damn time consuming 😁

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I may have to reconsider my oil choices, as recently using EV Olive Oil & Sesame (low heat/dressing),  Peanut (high heat searing), and Coconut (chocolate), Butter & Tallow.  Saw this, and does go against most vids I've been seeing lately.

Important part of vid, all cholesterol numbers were better.  Mentions same when compared to Olive oil.  Seed oils definitely get a bad rap from 'influencers. 

oil.png

Misses the point. The objection against seed oils per se (as opposed to their use in junk food etc.) isn't that they contribute to weight gain/obesity more or less than other oils. It's mostly about the linoleic acid, about which you can google more. For example,

I won't bother to get into this further, as it's a religious issue with many of our experts going by outdated or biased info (funded by the seed oil/food processing industries and echoed throughout the 'net) and of course supported by strong personal anecdotal evidence. Or practice. Yet common sense alone suggests "natural" oils used over the centuries might well be better than modern processed oils, just as whole foods are likely better for you than processed.

Edited by BigStar
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Misses the point. The objection against seed oils per se (as opposed to their use in junk food etc.) isn't that they contribute to weight gain/obesity more or less than other oils. It's mostly about the linoleic acid, about which you can google more. For example,

I won't bother to get into this further, as it's a religious issue with many of our experts going by outdated or biased info (funded by the seed oil/food processing industries and echoed throughout the 'net) and of course supported by strong personal anecdotal evidence. Or practice. Yet common sense alone suggests "natural" oils used over the centuries might well be better than modern processed oils, just as whole foods are likely better for you than processed.

Don't know about all that, and TBH, a bit much for me to read.   Take away from vid, IF watched, at the end of 3 month study, their cholesterol number improved.  That's the bottom line and good enough for me.

Anything that gets me a lower HDL/Trig ratio, I'm going to pay attention to.  Carbs & sugars I cut way back on, and proteins and fats increased, to help with the digestion, spikes of carb sugars.

Couple more months I'll get my numbers checked, and adjust if needed.   Just trying to stay off the statin.  Statin works, but don't care for the blocked production of hormones & enzymes will doing it's thing to control Trigs & LDL.

Just now, Jerry777 said:

For all of us these days

Way cheaper than the western/G20 or so alternatives IMHO

Unless you need and actually have access to free healthcare.  Then and only then, it would be a wise choice.

Just now, KhunLA said:

Way cheaper than the western/G20 or so alternatives IMHO

Unless you need and actually have access to free healthcare.  Then and only then, it would be a wise choice.

Its gone up for me as a US person like 8% this month. Baht exchange. Of course relatively cheap compared to where I am from where it is 1500$ a mth for an unfurnished apt.

3 minutes ago, Jerry777 said:

Its gone up for me as a US person like 8% this month. Baht exchange. Of course relatively cheap compared to where I am from where it is 1500$ a mth for an unfurnished apt.

Yes, also a Yank, and RE Taxes & healthcare is the killer for me.  The cost of that monthly, just to live in the USA, is more than my monthly living budget in TH.   That's if you already own your home in USA, and healthy :cheesy:

Rents now or buy in prices for homes are off the chart.  That's just sad.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know about all that, and TBH, a bit much for me to read.   Take away from vid, IF watched, at the end of 3 month study, their cholesterol number improved.  That's the bottom line and good enough for me.

Anything that gets me a lower HDL/Trig ratio, I'm going to pay attention to.  Carbs & sugars I cut way back on, and proteins and fats increased, to help with the digestion, spikes of carb sugars.

Couple more months I'll get my numbers checked, and adjust if needed.   Just trying to stay off the statin.  Statin works, but don't care for the blocked production of hormones & enzymes will doing it's thing to control Trigs & LDL.

I wouldn't base my "bottom line" on one study and one hack's interpretation of it. But that's just me, of course. One's cholesterol number can be improved in a number of ways. It may also not be as big a worry as you might think. Worry more about that TG/HDL ratio.

https://www.amazon.com/Clot-Thickens-enduring-mystery-disease-ebook/dp/B09KV553GY

image.jpeg.890d18ae0b37bad898b87c361be6b980.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Clot-Thickens-enduring-mystery-disease-ebook/dp/B09KV553GY

Edited by BigStar
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

I wouldn't base my "bottom line" on one study and one hack's interpretation of it. But that's just me, lf course. One's cholesterol number can be improved in a number of ways. It may also not be as big a worry as you might think. Worry more about that TG/HDL ratio.

image.jpeg.890d18ae0b37bad898b87c361be6b980.jpeg

That's why I do my own studies, on me.   If numbers improve, then I'll stick with the new diet & Canola,  If not, I'll adjust.   The fats that I actually eat, are more important that the ones I cook with.   Most are just for heat exchange for even cooking, and non stick is nice for clean up.  Tallow & butter for taste.

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's why I do my own studies, on me. 

Seen some notably poor results from those experiments-of-one.

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If numbers improve, then I'll stick with the new diet & Canola,  If not, I'll adjust. 

Some numbers aren't detected until they've already done internal damage you really didn't need. Keeping all the visible metrics w/i healthy range is all to the good, however. Doing that, I haven't needed any meds so far, at age 75. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Seen some notably poor results from those experiments-of-one.

Some numbers aren't detected until they've already done internal damage you really didn't need. Keeping all the visible metrics w/i healthy range is all to the good, however. Doing that, I haven't needed any meds so far, at age 75. 

I don't think a 3 month minor diet change is going to kill me.   Especially changing the cooking oil.  Not like I'm drinking a half pint every day.

I really don't think I needed the statin, and why I stopped taking it after a few months.  Interesting to see the difference in 3 different sets of numbers.  Another check at the end of the year, and if all the same, then I don't need to start the statin again.   Doubt if I would anyway, unless numbers way off.   If numbers improved, well, all the better.

I use coconut oil for cooking asian food and EV Olive oil for western food usually, though it is crazy expensive you need to have a spoonful of EV Olive oil if you want to live to 200. Bryan Johnson said so.

Nobody should be using Palm Oil.

8 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

I use coconut oil for cooking asian food and EV Olive oil for western food usually, though it is crazy expensive you need to have a spoonful of EV Olive oil if you want to live to 200. Bryan Johnson said so.

Nobody should be using Palm Oil.

Coconut oil and ghee for me for cooking.

EVO for salads and dressings.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

I love ghee, if I could find a cheap  supplier I would use it too. I used it in Europe a lot.

I paid 450 Baht on Lazada for grass fed ghee 360g.

It will probably last me the best part of 6 months.