Skype thai lessons with non-ed visas : not possible anymore ?

If the purpose of your being in Thailand is to study the language, it seems reasonable that you might be expected to stay in a part of the country where such studies are possible.

If you're in the area you're in for some other reason, you're on the wrong visa.

This is nonsense.

Half the people in BKK studying thai are living in farang ghettos and can get by without speaking a single thai word everyday. I'd wager this guy has to use more thai in his everyday than most sukhumvit dwelling foreigners do.

• Like 2

I think people are just pointing out why immigration might be taking a dim view of this sort of thing.

Some of you seem to be taking this rather personally.

Yes but my thought is that its only silly for thai authorities to play pretend and act like they belong to a government that's anything other than utterly corrupt and dysfunctional. Further more there are no hordes of strung out western expats leeching of thais and thai society, this isn't even a possible scenario since hand-outs don't exist. Also there are no bands of westerners praying on locals or each other with assaults, robberies and rape etc. People come here because its a damn nice place to be if you have some money to spend and I am no economist but I cant for the life of me see the downside of having the average expat living here in peace and injecting more or less substantial amounts of money into the thai economy in some shape or form, as compared to the average local. Also i have no problem with paying for the visa and the privilege to be here, be it the ED visa or why not just a simple one year visa no questions asked for whatever the cost, just maybe not 500 k for 5 years and a couple of limo rides, that seems a bit hefty to me.

Edited by Kaalle

why not just a simple one year visa no questions asked for whatever the cost

Because it would open up Thailand to illegal workers taking jobs from Thais.

Already aliens get 30 days stay when they arrive without a visa (depending on nationality), some get 90 days visa exemption.

Pretty good for a country where they have no birth-right to stay. :)

Many Westerners really come across as completely arrogant on this issue, being bewildered that they just cannot arrive, be wai-ed, then told that sure, they can just stay as long as they want, no need for a visa, police check, skills, nothing, just come and stay whoever you are. rolleyes.gif

Already aliens get 30 days stay when they arrive without a visa (depending on nationality), some get 90 days visa exemption.

Pretty good for a country where they have no birth-right to stay. smile.png

Many Westerners really come across as completely arrogant on this issue, being bewildered that they just cannot arrive, be wai-ed, then told that sure, they can just stay as long as they want, no need for a visa, police check, skills, nothing, just come and stay whoever you are. rolleyes.gif

Since we have the ED visa and previously the visa runs Thailand should already be teeming with these illegal workers stealing jobs from honest thais right? Where are those people and what jobs have they stolen? I mostly socialize with thais, maybe not a vast amount of people but in any case I have never heard anything along the lines of thais competing with foreigners for a job position, not for qualified and surely not for unqualified work either. I might be arrogant but I don't see any reason why Thailand couldn't have the same immigration policy's as Cambodia or the Philippines etc. As I said in my first post there are no victims, no downside. Stay as long as I want without visa? Nobody has said that, my suggestion was a one year visa purchased for a reasonable sum. A police check? Sure I wouldn't mind that, my record is clean and I would hazard a guess that's the case for most westerners coming here. After the visa is sorted out I would proceed to spend a lot of money in Thailand and just enjoy life, not troubling anyone, not being a nuisance in any way. Why cant this be a legitimate reason to be here in the eyes of immigration or any one for that matter?

Edited by Kaalle

Since we have the ED visa and previously the visa runs Thailand should already be teeming with these illegal workers stealing jobs from honest thais right? Where are those people and what jobs have they stolen?

a few industries come to mind.. diving, teaching, tour guides, music, prostitution, go-go

tongue in cheek on the last couple but i think a trend has been growing for the last few years in samui, pattaya, phuket

remember most of this all started when the locals got pissed in phuket at the foreign tour guides

Pretty good for a country where they have no birth-right to stay. :)

Don't feed the bitter racist troll, guys.

I am no economist but I cant for the life of me see the downside of having the average expat living here in peace and injecting more or less substantial amounts of money into the thai economy in some shape or form, as compared to the average local.

I take it you haven't been to Pattaya lately..

Maybe, just maybe.. People in power feel the way poorer Thai society will accommodate every whim of foreigners is something they would rather remove from the equation.

I know we didn't invent it.. But it seems done far less openly on the Thai side of the market.

I am no economist but I cant for the life of me see the downside of having the average expat living here in peace and injecting more or less substantial amounts of money into the thai economy in some shape or form, as compared to the average local.

Maybe, just maybe.. People in power feel the way poorer Thai society will accommodate every whim of foreigners is something they would rather remove from the equation.

I know we didn't invent it.. But it seems done far less openly on the Thai side of the market.

That's only because Thais can read the signs.. most near EVERY large town will have a soapy / gold fish bowl massage.

That's only because Thais can read the signs.. most near EVERY large town will have a soapy / gold fish bowl massage.

And that's an added bonus of having an ED visa and learning Thai. Every neighbourhood has these hidden gems. In Nonthaburi, where I live, the entertainment is relatively cheap and the girls are wonderful. Being able to converse and joke with these girls in Thai adds greatly to my experience of living here.

And that's an added bonus of having an ED visa and learning Thai. Every neighbourhood has these hidden gems. In Nonthaburi, where I live, the entertainment is relatively cheap and the girls are wonderful. Being able to converse and joke with these girls in Thai adds greatly to my experience of living here.

The schools are obviously not telling students ALL!

I can imagine the advertising

" learn Thai get a cheaper shag"

Accommodate every whim? As in doing business directed towards foreigners and thus making money off them, oh how terrible. Or do you mean thai society bends over backwards to adapt to farangs, in what way? I really want to know.

I come from a country where we truly welcome vast numbers of people from around the world with open arms and we truly bend over backwards not only once, but twice to accommodate them in every way possible. We throw money on them to the equivalent of ten thai elite cards for every person or something along those lines. If a couple of thousand of wealthy thais came to stay and started throwing money around we wouldn't start to bitch about a handful of them being diving instructors or buying whores or whatever. Just to make a comparison.

Im feeling a bit slow here but am I the bitter racist troll? Bitter yes, I love it here and I wish they wouldn't make it difficult to stay on a permanent basis, this has nothing to do with feelings of entitlement its just my wish that it would be more easy. Racist in what way? I sincerely like thais and I would rather be around them than my countrymen or any other westerners. I don't blame thai people on the streets for immigration policy.

Im feeling a bit slow here but am I the bitter racist troll? Bitter yes, I love it here and I wish they wouldn't make it difficult to stay on a permanent basis, this has nothing to do with feelings of entitlement its just my wish that it would be more easy. Racist in what way? I sincerely like thais and I would rather be around them than my countrymen or any other westerners. I don't blame thai people on the streets for immigration policy.

Not you, sir. I mean Deacon Bell, who repeatedly posts racist rants against westerners on various threads. A massive chip on his shoulders.

• 4 weeks later...

Difficult for immigration to test thai language ability from any thai language school because there are no learning objective for most language schools.

Side topic:Are there any universities offering thai language courses in formal setting with objectives and homework and tests and grades?

Maybe study 10 hours a week.

"70% attendance is required at the school and schools are going to be inspected on a regular basis , Some schools offer learning by Skype , This does not get you a student visa as 70% attendance is required."

This is a quote from an explanation of the new rules on the website of a school that is not a sponsor of TV therefore, per forum rules, I can't provide a link. If you want a link with their interpretation of the new rules and how it affects students and ED visas, PM me.

"70% attendance is required at the school and schools are going to be inspected on a regular basis , Some schools offer learning by Skype , This does not get you a student visa as 70% attendance is required."

This is a quote from an explanation of the new rules on the website of a school that is not a sponsor of TV therefore, per forum rules, I can't provide a link. If you want a link with their interpretation of the new rules and how it affects students and ED visas, PM me.

Really? Only 70 percent attendance required? That's a C- grade..... Pretty easy

Would someone expect to get a student visa to England to live in the country side and study English over the Internet?

Probably no nearby language school.

Insisting not need much money because will be growing own food.

Most countries give visas expecting inflow of cash to improve their country.

Visas forbidding work could have a financial requirement to have enough liquid cash to contribute to thai society for the length of the visa.

• Like 1

As a side note, you don't need ED visa to study (Thai, Economics, etc.) in Thailand smile.png

You can live here on a visa / extension (non education related) and then study whatever you like.

If you really want to study Thai language, 4 hours a week is quite little.

Please have a look @ the Chulalongkorn University Intensive Thai Program http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/95506-intensive-thai-programme-chulalongkorn-university/ as an example, other intensive programs exist.

Or you can go for a 1 to 1 course, where the amount of work involved is quite high.

Now, if you want to get an "ED-visa" just to give you a way to stay in Thailand, that's another story...

Just my 2 cents

coffee1.gif

Edited by Fab5BKK

Should we (Thai immigration incl.) consider the OP as:

1. a tourist?

2. a student?

3. something else?

As a side note, you don't need ED visa to study (Thai, Economics, etc.) in Thailand smile.png

You can live here on a visa / extension (non education related) and then study whatever you like.

Please have a look @ the Chulalongkorn University Intensive Thai Program http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/95506-intensive-thai-programme-chulalongkorn-university/ as an example, other intensive programs exist.

Or you can go for a 1 to 1 course, where the amount of work involved is quite high.

Now, if you want to get an "ED-visa" just to give you a way to stay in Thailand, that's another story...

Just my 2 cents

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

1. a tourist?

2. a student?

3. something else?

Just my 2 cents

coffee1.gif

That's for the Immigration Department to decide then. If they're fine with foreigners showing interest in learning Thai, then it's obviously none of your business, and your guilty verdict of the OP matters not one bit.

Try to enjoy yourself here in Thailand instead of obsessing about other farangs invading your turf. Envy and resentment are bad for your health.

1. a tourist?

2. a student?

3. something else?

Just my 2 cents

coffee1.gif

Keep it cool

Obviously, you don't like what I wrote, but show me where I'm wrong and/or offensive. Are you part of the PC brigade?

Keep your so called health advices for yourself. You do need them.

A side note: OP has been learning Thai for 6-7 years with, it seems to be, poor results...

That's for the Immigration Department to decide then. If they're fine with foreigners showing interest in learning Thai, then it's obviously none of your business, and your guilty verdict of the OP matters not one bit.

Try to enjoy yourself here in Thailand instead of obsessing about other farangs invading your turf. Envy and resentment are bad for your health.

Keep it cool

Obviously, you don't like what I wrote, but show me where I'm wrong and/or offensive. Are you part of the PC brigade?

A side note: OP has been learning Thai for 6-7 years with, it seems to be, poor results...

Keep it cool

Actually it is you that started with uncalled judgement. You wrote "How should we (including Imm.) consider".

Then when you were reminded that you are nobody to judge and consider, you jumped up all upstarted against a "PC brigade" that I'm afraid must be a big enemy for you. plus wishes of ill health. Tsk tsk.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Sorry for the mistake regarding the length of study. I mixed up with another OP. My bad.

BTW, there are much better courses around and they'll give much better credibility when dealing with immigration.

Keep it cool

Curious question

What percent of people in the big Thai language schools have an educational visa?

What percent have another visa but attend classes just to learn Thai language?

I have paid for lessons at schools that don't offer Visas.