Yingluck has returned to Bangkok Sunday night: report

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So far we have two reports...one   a repost by Tulsathit with a photo of someone next to luggage and and van and one saying the vehicle went into the airport to collect her.  We have no verifiable report of her return.

Your still holding out for hope she didn't return.   Accept it SHE'S BACK and will fight the charges in the court not here on TV.

Frankly she can try to fight the charges.

Personally I think she was used by her brother but I guess that applies to about 50 million other people in Thailand too.

What I find interesting is the way one or two  unverified reports can suddenly become fact.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if they were far more humble.....but that is not the style, so to speak, of most Thai politicians....as in 99 % of them.

A big grand entrance / return is all part of their image that they have to maintain.

Retuning on a regular airliner and economy class would never be considered.

That would show she has been weakened and looking vulnerable to her detractors and critics and those that want to knock her down.

We all know that money and wealth and image supersede all other matters of importance while garnishing the admiration of other people more so than honesty and integrity.

Cheers

• Like 1

If it's T's idea that she return home, then he's playing a high-stakes game in terms of public sentiment and issues of morality - at least high stakes for him and his family. If it all goes pear-shape for her, then T and co lose the moral high ground on the world stage, and destroy what remaining shreds of support they have in Thailand, and this is very likely anyway. So what is going on? I seriously doubt a deal has been done with the junta as the rice scheme is far too significant to be nudged aside or diminished in any way. This is very intriguing as I doubt YL is returning as a matter of principle, nor to continue the good fight on behalf of the Shins. There is simply no way she is going to expose herself to the risk of incarceration when she has the resources to spend the rest of her life in luxury.

You are severely underestimating the support they have in Thailand, otherwise they would not have won every single election they stood in.

... correction: ... the support they "had"...

• Like 2

If it's T's idea that she return home, then he's playing a high-stakes game in terms of public sentiment and issues of morality - at least high stakes for him and his family. If it all goes pear-shape for her, then T and co lose the moral high ground on the world stage, and destroy what remaining shreds of support they have in Thailand, and this is very likely anyway. So what is going on? I seriously doubt a deal has been done with the junta as the rice scheme is far too significant to be nudged aside or diminished in any way. This is very intriguing as I doubt YL is returning as a matter of principle, nor to continue the good fight on behalf of the Shins. There is simply no way she is going to expose herself to the risk of incarceration when she has the resources to spend the rest of her life in luxury.

You are severely underestimating the support they have in Thailand, otherwise they would not have won every single election they stood in.

... correction: ... the support they "had"...

Errr,,,,another slight correction  ' The support they bought and bullied '.  Take these two major factors out of the equation and it's very doubtful they would win a lucky dip.

I live in the red heartland and i can tell you people are happy to be living without their influence.

• Like 1

You people are a sorrowful bunch.   Last night you stayed up hoping she wouldn't return so you can make your ugly comments.  Now she comes back and you start your insults.   Very disgusting group of people here. 

I'm with you on that Bob. I've listened to so much nastiness from so many people here, disparaging her character left right and centre. When she shows them to be significantly wrong about something, they just start off on another angle. It's disgusting in the extreme, and I'm embarrassed to be a farang in Thailand when I know some Thais will lump me in with these petty, mean-minded creeps.

TL

Don't make the mistake of thinking the Thai's care what you/we think.  It's their country and it will go the way they want it to. 'Farang' opinion is generally not in the least respected.

Gives the Junta a bit of a difficult balancing act. If they are too zealous in their pursuit of her they will alienate her supporters whilst if they aren't forceful enough they will alienate their own supporters. And if she is found not guilty, then there this in effect means there was very little legal and political justification for the coup. 

How do you achieve political reconciliation whilst prosecuting the leader of the last democratically elected government? Bit of a paradox. 

Don't see what its got to do with the Junta.

The NACC has investigated the rice scheme for over 2 years long before the army came along and found that Yingluck was negligent.

They have passed this information on to the OAG who will now decide if a prosecution is warranted.

If they decide in that way it will then be passed to the appropriate court.

If she is found guilty by that court she will be found guilty of breaking the law.

No doubt then there would be right of appeal as with any other case.

Do you believe that because of her position at the time she should be above the law ?

I didn't realize that Yinglucks alleged negligence was the reason given for staging the coup... learn something every day.

Should those in high places be exempt from prosecution because it may put their supporters noses out of joint ?

Yep the NACC have investigated YL for the last two years - didn't get very far though - as YL - like the Junta all influence and exert degrees of control over the various independent agencies- think DSI & Tarit as an explicit example of following the party line. Some don't such as the CC l accept.  

No, those in high places should not be exempt from prosecution, but prosecuting YL isn't that simple as the YL negligence / corruption issue isn't isolated, it's likely to spill into numerous wider issues that will have consequences for the push for reconciliation - the proverbial can of worms -(which needs emptying IMO) . But I think by returning YL has sent a message that she isn't gonna go down without a fight and that fight could and probably will get messy which will have some potentially serious ramifications for the juntas push for reconciliation. And YL will get media attention lets not forget that. Do you really think with this hanging over her head YL and TS haven't been coming up with a strategy? 

Imagine 10'000 PTP / YL supporters out on the streets to 'support' YL, because rightly or wrongly she does have support - (albeit less now than previously i expect)- how does the Junta respond? The last thing it wants is violent confrontation whilst it is on control of state agencies as its likely to turn the heads of people away from the Juntas direction.

Those in high places have to be held to account. But I think YL would have made life easier (for the Junta) if she hadn't returned. Simply bracketing the NACC case as an area of responsibility outside of the Juntas remit is foolish, the political and judicial system in Thailand is joined very firmly together and a push from one often results in a reaction from the other. 

I am no fan of YL / TS / PTP as i'm sure you have read my posts previously. 

• Like 1

Mango Bob, on 11 Aug 2014 - 07:34, said:

You people are a sorrowful bunch.   Last night you stayed up hoping she wouldn't return so you can make your ugly comments.  Now she comes back and you start your insults.   Very disgusting group of people here. 

if you do`nt like it here do`nt come in  !

Are they sure it wasn't Elvis sneaking in?

My point was that this "news" report comes second hand from a website that is "reporting" an unsubstantiated guess that it was her.

We don't really know if it was.

Habeas Corpus,  hair done and suitably dressed of course.

Yingluck's return on schedule is entirely unsurprising.  The reaction of the usual suspects reminds me of what they said about Samak when they claimed he was faking his cancer, But then there have been so many examples when they show how little they understand events here.

Edited by citizen33

Yingluck has done a lot if damage to this country during her time as a PM. The only thing she cared about was whitewashing family crimes and facilitating corruption for the Shin clan. Many lives where lost in the process. A truly disgusting puppet she has been. Let's hope justice will hold her accountable for the mess she has created. And.... the day PT and Yingluck was kicked out was the beginning of the capture of a few dozen of red terrorists. What a coincidence.

Couldn't agree more but i think we all know that true 'justice' rarely shows its face in this country.   I suspect that even if she is 'brought to justice' and found guilty on some or all charges, she will never spend ten minutes in jail because it's not 'the Thai way ' of dealing with the upper classes.  Much more likely she would get a heavy fine that won't even dent her considerable worth and a suspended sentence.  After any court ruling there would be countless appeals over who knows how many years whilst she remains on bail free to live a normal life.  She has little or nothing to fear and that is why she is back home.

• Like 1

Yingluck returns on private plane at Don Mueang

7-24-2014-9-35-49-AM1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her son returned to Thailand late Sunday night.

She returned on a private jet plane from Singapore. The plane landed at Don Mueang airport at 10.00 p.m.

She arrived with 15 suitcases and left immediately for home via the airport’s special exit to avoid press media.

Her arrival was kept secret as media representatives thought she would arrive on a normal flight and land at Suvarnabhumi airport. Some media representatives were there to wait for her arrival.

However she chose to travel on a personal plane instead and landed at Don Mueang and left immediately on special exit.

Ms Yingluck left Thailand for a holiday in Europe and the United States after she was granted permission to leave the country between July 23 and August 10.
She was required to request permission because of pending legal allegations against her.

A few days before her scheduled return date of Aug 10, there had been reports Ms Yingluck had written to junta chief Prayuth Chan-ocha asking for her return to be deferred until the end of the month. But this was dismissed by a National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) director for Reconciliation and Reform, Lt Gen Kampanat Ruddit, .

He said Ms Yingluck had not made any such request and her schedule remained unchanged.

During her overseas trip, Ms Yingluck attended the 65th birthday celebrations on July 26 for her brother Thaksin in Paris.

Speculation has been rife that she might stay abroad rather than return to face charges of dereliction of duty in connection with her government’s failed rice-pledging scheme.

(Photo : ThaiPBS file)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/yingluck-returns-private-plane-don-mueang/

[thaipbs]2014-08-11[/thaipbs]

Gives the Junta a bit of a difficult balancing act. If they are too zealous in their pursuit of her they will alienate her supporters whilst if they aren't forceful enough they will alienate their own supporters. And if she is found not guilty, then there this in effect means there was very little legal and political justification for the coup. 

How do you achieve political reconciliation whilst prosecuting the leader of the last democratically elected government? Bit of a paradox. 

unless the junta control the courts..its up to the judges..thats if it gets to court..i dont think she,s going down..hope im wrong but we all been here too long jon..we see how the rich get away with anything..5 year ban from politics and 20.000 bt fine..and dont do it again...

Under Article 44 of the Interim Charter, Gen. Prayuth as NCPO Chief is allowed "to order, to suspend, or to take action, regardless of its effects on the legislative, executive or judiciary" against any perceived threats to "public order, national security, the monarchy, national economy or sovereignty of the country." So Prayuth individually has the power to overrule court decisions and there is no appeal.

But rest assured, Gen. Prayuth has affirmed that , "No matter how much power the NCPO has, if the use of power is undertaken for the benefit of the people and the country, there should be no worries ...If people who run the country are not good, transparent or efficient, they can be replaced at any time. Please trust the NCPO for how it exercises its power ... We have no desire to stay in power for a long time." - "New Charter Draws Bipartisan Criticism," Khaosod English 2014-07-24.

this and good luck to Thailand's first female PM who should not be hounded by this pack of TVF dogs 

Well the good luck she might already have had. I mean with such amount of luggage some people would still be at the airport next week trying to find all the receipts for the stuff bought or trying to convince that they really had it with them already when starting their trip.

Surely must feel good to be an Amply Rich Elite Defender of Democracy and The People rolleyes.gif

give her a break Rubl she has been found guilty of NOTHING except breaking the mold and being Thailand's first female PM (and winning the election of course)

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think you severely underestimate what 500x.... baht can get them in Thailand.

Agree 100%

These opinions/ make up stories are from the land of fairies.Some could not sleep last night, thinking about what bile to post,now she has come back, lets invent something else now.

• Like 2

this and good luck to Thailand's first female PM who should not be hounded by this pack of TVF dogs 

And what achievement do you believe she made during her 3 years leading the government?

Yingluck has done a lot if damage to this country during her time as a PM. The only thing she cared about was whitewashing family crimes and facilitating corruption for the Shin clan. Many lives where lost in the process. A truly disgusting puppet she has been. Let's hope justice will hold her accountable for the mess she has created. And.... the day PT and Yingluck was kicked out was the beginning of the capture of a few dozen of red terrorists. What a coincidence.

Couldn't agree more but i think we all know that true 'justice' rarely shows its face in this country.   I suspect that even if she is 'brought to justice' and found guilty on some or all charges, she will never spend ten minutes in jail because it's not 'the Thai way ' of dealing with the upper classes.  Much more likely she would get a heavy fine that won't even dent her considerable worth and a suspended sentence.  After any court ruling there would be countless appeals over who knows how many years whilst she remains on bail free to live a normal life.  She has little or nothing to fear and that is why she is back home.
Yeah she is trying hard to have 50!! more witnesses accepted by the NACC. Delaying tactics have began. Luckily the NACC doesn't go along with these games.... it looks like..

Well the good luck she might already have had. I mean with such amount of luggage some people would still be at the airport next week trying to find all the receipts for the stuff bought or trying to convince that they really had it with them already when starting their trip.

Surely must feel good to be an Amply Rich Elite Defender of Democracy and The People rolleyes.gif

give her a break Rubl she has been found guilty of NOTHING except breaking the mold and being Thailand's first female PM (and winning the election of course)

Why should I give her a break? It would seem Immigration already gave her one.

Do you want to tell me that immigration is NOT for former PMs, and other people who have not been found guilty of anything. Do you want to imply that even you and me could walk through immigration just like that because neither you nor me have been found guilty of anything?

BTW "has been found guilty of nothing" somehow suggests the charge of negligence (also known as "I know nothing") seems the right one and you already tell us she was guilty.

Maybe my understanding of the English language is not totally correct in this rolleyes.gif