The new rules for an extension of stay for teachers and such

could you expand on what is classified as a non formal school? Is that just language centers?

Good question. The rules for an ED-visa make clear what is understood under a non-formal school.

non-formal schools are:

• Religious school: a school established by sole purpose of teaching religion
  • Art and Sports school: a school established to provide education of music, art and sports
  • Vocational school: a school established to provide vocational skills to be applied to further carrier or as an additional skill for learners
  • Tutoring school: a school established to provide additional knowledge parrarel to the general education curriculum
  • Skill Development school: established to develop talents, ideas and other skills of learners

This are all examples.

• Like 2

not many LS help with WP

I am also hoping the new visa rules will pressure the schools to take care of work permits for their teachers.

I met some really good teachers who did border runs, and their schools were quite large schools with many NES.

So what does this mean for the person that wants to come here to retire and teach but has no degree. I am assuming that there will still be schools i n need that will hire them.

May not be i n BKK but some of the smaller villages or am I way off.

So, with this new rule, if a school classifies a teacher as 'assistant teacher', a degree won't be necessary? What about the teacher's licence?

How will this rule change the current scenario in practical terms? A lot more assistant teachers than teachers??

that wants to come here to retire and teach

That doesn't work. You cannot be retired and working in Thailand, (not even volunteer work). You would need a visa extension for reasons of marriage or business or...

So what does this mean for the person that wants to come here to retire and teach but has no degree. I am assuming that there will still be schools i n need that will hire them.

How can you come here to retire and work at the same time ?

OP:

For teaching at non-formal schools, such as language schools, nothing has changed and teachers there still don't need a teaching license or a degree.

One does not need a degree to get a Work Permit to be employed as an English Teacher at a Language School???

huh.png

Edited by Deacon Bell
  • Like 1

Mario,

What we really would like to know is if the TCT are going to restart the tests and course to obtain our teaching licenses.

I know that's not directly visa related, but it makes a difference.

What I have been told is that the Cultural course is now undergoing an overhaul and will not be offered for this year. The TCT just offered a series of this course, of which the last one is this month. But all courses have already been filled. Next year it should be offered again, as new rules from the TCT will become available.

I am not sure about the tests for an actual teaching license, but believe the same applies as they will want to change the rules first.

In the mean time I understand that the TCT is liberal with issuing a third teaching license waiver, especially if you are at your school a long time.

You can still teach, but at university or in a language school. Not in a elementary or secondary school.

Mario, have these new rules been communicated at the interview TV had last Thursday? Or is there another source?

My opening post is just a clarification of the new police order and the new rules it contains regarding extensions of stay for teachers.

• Like 1

So, with this new rule, if a school classifies a teacher as 'assistant teacher', a degree won't be necessary? What about the teacher's licence?

How will this rule change the current scenario in practical terms? A lot more assistant teachers than teachers??

The new rules are meant to put a stop to teachers being classified as assistant teachers so they do not need a teaching license.

It means that a teaching assistant still needs a degree OR relevant work experience and there is a limit to their number (maximum of 10% of the staff). So it is a little bit more difficult to become a teaching assistant.

"So you don't need to have a degree, but in that case you must have relevant work experience."

How is relevant work experience determined and how would it be shown or proven?

For example I worked at a language school from 2003 to 2007.

Your guess is as good as mine.

But for a librarian it would probably necessary to show you have worked in a library before, and for a teaching assistant your work in a language school may qualify.

• Like 1

OP:

For teaching at non-formal schools, such as language schools, nothing has changed and teachers there still don't need a teaching license or a degree.

One does not need a degree to get a Work Permit to be employed as an English Teacher at a Language School???

huh.png

Indeed, one does not need a degree to get a work permit.

extensions of stay for teachers:

For teachers themselves nothing will change. The new rules even make it easier to change schools as instead of the WP itself you can also show the wp3 form indicating that you have applied for a new WP with a new school.

Extensions of stay for educational personnel:

It is here that there is now a change in the rules, as the rules now make a clear distinction between teachers and educational personnel.

The rules clarify which jobs are considered to be educational personnel as follows:

Person performing librarian, guidance, educational technology, registration and evaluation, general administration, supporter of education as specified by the Private Education Commission.

That seems to include teaching assistants. They now must have degree or experience that meet the work requirement and the ratio of alien employees shall not exceed 10 percent of total teachers or instructors in a particular education institution.

So you don't need to have a degree, but in that case you must have relevant work experience. For persons working as educational personnel that could mean they are grandfathered, as they will have relevant work experience next time they apply for an extension of stay.

(But If you are in the middle of your first year right now, I would not recommend changing jobs. They could say you don't have relevant work experience yet, better to finish your contract).

In all for most of the persons currently working in Education nothing has really changed, but newcomers without a degree will find it much harder to get a job in a regular school as they now must have relevant work experience.

Mario where are you getting your information from? Are you clarifying the documents that were posted here in English a few days ago from immigration or is this new information? Please clarify the source because I'm afraid recently this site is confusing the issue more than helping sometimes. As far as I am concerned if it was not in writing on those docs from the other day then I tend to think it is not true but speculation.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

OP:

huh.png

Indeed, one does not need a degree to get a work permit.

As an English Teacher at a language school?

For example ECC, Siam Computer and all those other franchises?

What sets them aside as 'non-formal' schools and is it generally accepted by officers of the Dept. of Labour and Dept. of Immigration that English Teachers hired as such do not need a degree to get a Work Permit as an English Teacher?

I was under the impression that Immigration and Labour wants to see original degrees for all teachers they are processing, language schools included.

If you want me to start a thread on it and answer there than just say.

Edited by Deacon Bell

"So you don't need to have a degree, but in that case you must have relevant work experience."

How is relevant work experience determined and how would it be shown or proven?

For example I worked at a language school from 2003 to 2007.

I am pretty sure that relevant work experience is referring to jobs in education other than teaching. Even so these are rules regarding visas so even if it does include teaching you still need to get a licence/waver from the teachers Council and they wont give you one without a degree.

Having recently changed schools they applied for a waver for me twice and were refused with the teachers council stating that a degree is required.

I am now working in the same school but with a different job and to get the work permit and visa extension I had to prove that I had relevant experience and education to fukfill the job requirements i.e certificates, references and resume. On obtaining my work permit I went to the local immigration office for my extension.They required a whole lot of new documents from the school and informed me that they couldnt give me an extension directly and my application would be sent to Bangkok for authorisation. This takes up to 30 days. However, if I get the extension this time, I wont have to go through the same drama next time. As I, the school know what is required and immigration will not need to go to Bangkok for clarification.

• Like 1