How to get a debit/credit card from UK to Thailand?

I need to transfer a new debit card from my building society in the UK, currently in the hands of a relative, to Thailand. Unfortunately, my building society doesn't have a system for activating the card, ie. it is merely activated by first use and it is currently unsigned.

Any ideas on how I can get it transfered over to Thailand? I don't know anyone who will be coming out here who could carry it and I have been told that courier companies won't touch bank cards. I could just put it into an envelope and not declare it to a courier company, but I am more interested in a legitimate and secure way to get it over here.

Can someone check your mailbox and forward it?

Or have the card [re]sent to a friend or fowarding co's address.

Not sure what you mean. My family have the card - I just want a secure way for them to send it to me. If it's in a normal letter there is a good chance it may get lost in the post.

My family just post mine to me, usually in a regular envelope using the Royal Mail "signed for" service which costs a rip-off GBP7 in total. They always arrive.

Does this mean I have to sign for it when it arrives in Thailand - or is it just tracked whilst it is in the UK?

I have not heard any such thing about not being able to send by courier - are you sure?  My cards are sent normal post from US.  See no restriction here

.http://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/prohibitions-and-restrictions

that's OK if my card needed activating once I received it but not if it is already active when first used. That's what I'm afraid of is that someone will get hold of it and use it before I can cancel it.

Thanks for all the help guys. I just chatted with Fedex and they have no problem with sending a debit card - I don't know how I got the idea they wouldn't, as I thought it would be as risky as cheques. I don't think all courier companies would necessarily do it though.

My family just post mine to me, usually in a regular envelope using the Royal Mail "signed for" service which costs a rip-off GBP7 in total. They always arrive.

Does this mean I have to sign for it when it arrives in Thailand - or is it just tracked whilst it is in the UK?

The front office in my building signs for mine, and then I collect it from them once they have notified me by sticking a slip in my letterbox.

re

hes right ! ... but its 7 pound 18 p now :(

dave2

As Crossy said...International to sign for.......

Had mine sent in a jiffy bag and the card was put in between two pieces of thickish cardboard

which where bigger than the card its self, So you couldn't tell it was a credit card inside.

mine took about 1 week to arrive.

Have a Nice Day.

There's a better way now.

International tracked and signed.

With hardly any weight about £7/8

The bonus you can download track and trace Thai app.

Soon as it's accepted in laksi.

Shows on your phone with updates till it arrives.

Never had a problem.
  • Like 1

Is there actually any difference between this and the "signed for" service I mentioned, or is it just a rebranding? The price seems to be about the same.
I can follow my "signed for" letters online also (I dont bother with phone apps).

Is there actually any difference between this and the "signed for" service I mentioned, or is it just a rebranding? The price seems to be about the same.
I can follow my "signed for" letters online also (I dont bother with phone apps).

Not sure... But with the blue sticker you can't follow in the same way as the green one.

Since the green one came it's a lot better.

You can see when your letter arrives in los then when delivered

Not sure... But with the blue sticker you can't follow in the same way as the green one.
Since the green one came it's a lot better.
You can see when your letter arrives in los then when delivered

Fairly sure it showed me that online with the older blue sticker.