US movie 'The Interview' to undergo editing after N Korea protests: reports

webfact

U.S. movie 'The Interview' to undergo editing after N.K. protests: reports
By Digital Content

WASHINGTON, Aug 15 (Yonhap) -- A U.S. comedy film about a plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is expected to undergo some editing and its release will be pushed back after strong protests from the communist nation, according to local media reports.

North Korea has angrily reacted after the release in June of a trailer for the Columbia Pictures film, "The Interview," which tells the story of two Americans journalists who land an interview with Kim in Pyongyang but are then recruited by the CIA to kill him.

Pyongyang's foreign ministry denounced the movie as "the most undisguised terrorism" and "a war action" and warned of "a strong and merciless countermeasure" if the "U.S. administration connives at and patronizes the screening of the film."

On Thursday, Firstshowing.net and other media outlets reported that Sony Pictures, the film's distributor, has decided to push back the film's release, which had been set for October, and make alterations, including removing the faces of the North's leader and his late father from thousands of badges on the uniforms of extras.

Another change under consideration is to cut out a scene where the face of the North's leader is melted off, according to the reports.

Firstshowing.net said that there is reportedly no pressure coming from Sony Japan to change the scene, and the filmmakers are trying to determine if the scene is funny. (YONHAP)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-08-15

I agree with H90.

Remember that probably none of us really know what the truth is about North Korea. We are fed a diet of propaganda in the mass media and most of us choose to accept it without question.

Making a movie is OK provided you would find the storyline acceptable if the target was the USA instead of North Korea. In my estimation Kim deserves at least as much respect as Obama.. possibly more.

Edited by technologybytes

"the filmmakers are trying to determine if the scene is funny."

It's a good decision to role back the release to evaluate its funniness. If it's not really that funny why enrage a nuclear armed rogue state?

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

I agree with H90.

Remember that probably none of us really know what the truth is about North Korea. We are fed a diet of propaganda in the mass media and most of us choose to accept it without question.

Making a movie is OK provided you would find the storyline acceptable if the target was the USA instead of North Korea. In my estimation Kim deserves at least as much respect as Obama.. possibly more.

Your last sentence is way out of line,thoughtless,incomprehensible and childish. I don't see many Americans trying to ''escape'' to NK,but they have the right to do so if they wish. One way for them to lose weight.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/29854/20140428/american-tourist-detained-in-n-korea-ripped-passport-demanded-asylum.htm

I agree with H90.

Your last sentence is way out of line,thoughtless,incomprehensible and childish. I don't see many Americans trying to ''escape'' to NK,but they have the right to do so if they wish. One way for them to lose weight.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/29854/20140428/american-tourist-detained-in-n-korea-ripped-passport-demanded-asylum.htm

One man whose mental stability at this time cant be ascertained. At the very least he was able to leave his country and fly to NK. How many of fat boy's citizens prisoners can fly to America......or anywhere.

• Like 1

I agree with H90.

You're not all there, are you?

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

• Like 2

I agree with H90.

You last sentence crosses the line, but I agree with what you wrote before that.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That is a crazy story.......

First the movie....what would happen if the Iran makes a movie that advertise the assassination of Obama......The whole west would be in rage.....With NK it is seems to be OK.

Second: They change the movie after protests, to a watered down assassination....That is even more crazy.

Have you seen any documentaries on NK? I was say your perspective is a bit skewed....

Even inside the US poltics mud-sling. This is a very big version of that taken very far....with a communist country that enslaves generations of families for offenses that prior generations committed.

I agree with H90.

Maybe you can go visit there and find out first hand. When you come back, (if they allow you out), you can report your findings here.

That is a crazy story.......

First the movie....what would happen if the Iran makes a movie that advertise the assassination of Obama......The whole west would be in rage.....With NK it is seems to be OK.

Second: They change the movie after protests, to a watered down assassination....That is even more crazy.

Iran? Why Iran? Let the British will do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_President_(2006_film)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Assassination-George-W-Bush/dp/1430321350

I guess you missed the whole west being in a rage over the British movie about the assassination of the president of the United States. Me too. It's permitted to be a numskull in Britain without the state killing you. Can't say the same for North Korea, unfortunately.

So far as the OP - have you ever heard the term "marketing"? Have a look at what google and others have to say about it. Now you know about a Sony Pictures movie you'd never heard of before. It works!

I agree with H90.

Sir, You almost got me! Now I reallize it was just sarcasm. Indeed, very very funny! You should consider becoming a hollywood script writer yourself. Thanks for bringing some levity to a very serious problem that exists on the Korean penisula.

The Kim clan is truly wacko and anyone that would seriously ponder respecting such a ruthless regime of corruption, lies, murder and human rights abuse just to name a few, would deserve to be selected as the fat boy's personal (water-less) bum bidet.

I agree with H90.

Out of curiosity, if I went back through some of your previous posts on TV would I be able to ascertain that you are a white American who is still angry that America elected an African American President......twice?

I agree with H90.

Out of curiosity, if I went back through some of your previous posts on TV would I be able to ascertain that you are a white American who is still angry that America elected an African American President......twice?

You dont have to a white american angry at a black elected president to make a post as he did. Behind his psudonym, he could actually be ben carson, a black american neurosurgeon who gave a most memorable breakfast speech beside obama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHxJK_xSpcg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EHxJK_xSpcg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by atyclb

It's just a movie, mountain out of a molehill, much more important things to worry about in this crazy messed up world. KJI doesnt deserve any respect from anyone whatsoever...

Yes, it is just a movie and in America you can say whatever you want to say if it is ridicule, satire, mockery...anything you want as long as it cannot be proven to be slanderous or libelous or otherwise cause a loss. kJI can sue in an American court. The only aspect of this sideshow is it is just another nail in the coffin of free speech in America.

It's just a movie, mountain out of a molehill, much more important things to worry about in this crazy messed up world. KJI doesnt deserve any respect from anyone whatsoever...

Yes, it is just a movie and in America you can say whatever you want to say if it is ridicule, satire, mockery...anything you want as long as it cannot be proven to be slanderous or libelous or otherwise cause a loss. kJI can sue in an American court. The only aspect of this sideshow is it is just another nail in the coffin of free speech in America.

So, if little Kimmy loses the next election, he can sue the producers?