Thai Police to propose public gathering bill soon

webfact

Police to propose public gathering bill soon

5-27-2014-12-47-37-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police is now trying to conclude the public gathering bill to propose to the National Legislative Assembly for approval with assurance that it will not deprive the right of the people to hold public gathering.

Acting commissioner of the Royal Thai Police Pol Gen Watcharapol Prasanratchakit said his working group is finalising some unsettled issues in the draft law but expected to finalise and propose to the NLA soon.

He said the draft law would not deprive the right for public gathering but under conditions that it is unarmed gathering, and organiser of public gathering must notify the police 24 hours in advance.

This was necessary as the police have to prepare themselves to facilitate traffic, and tell the public about the gathering so they can plan their travels.

He said if the gathering meets all conditions, it will be allowed to go ahead.

However if the gathering deprives the right of others, the police are empowered to halt the gathering.

He also said the police would also propose that the gathering should not exceed 10.00 p.m.

(Photo : ThaiPBS file)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-propose-public-gathering-bill-soon/

[thaipbs]2014-08-15[/thaipbs]

He said the draft law would not deprive the right for public gathering but under conditions that it is unarmed gathering, and organiser of public gathering must notify the police 24 hours in advance.

I bet there is a lot of "fine print" in the draft law that will be restrictive.

• Like 1

police need to vet these gatherings but in a fair way, not how they operated under the ptp. Notification is needed to organize exactly what is allowed without removing anyones rights. The gatherings that close off streets etc for long periods need to be mad illegal, doesnt matter if its reds or yellows, blocking people from their normal routines is simply wrong, protests can be held in parks etc away from the normal flow of traffic. Trouble is I cannot see a fair hand operating this sort of thing, there will always be favoritism towards one group by the police/govt.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

police need to vet these gatherings but in a fair way, not how they operated under the ptp. Notification is needed to organize exactly what is allowed without removing anyones rights. The gatherings that close off streets etc for long periods need to be mad illegal, doesnt matter if its reds or yellows, blocking people from their normal routines is simply wrong, protests can be held in parks etc away from the normal flow of traffic. Trouble is I cannot see a fair hand operating this sort of thing, there will always be favoritism towards one group by the police/govt.

I entirely agree, a permit issued, on that permit what you can and cannot do end, of story, however???

Same law are in force in Western democratic country, where justice and government can ban gathering people for security purpose or if not respect freedon of other people. In western country you can see police crackdown rally.......

Welcome to western democracy 

"The freedom of one ends where someone else's begins" French proverb 

I actually think it should be left alone and handled under a public order act or similar, people all over the world have a right to protest peacefully - how do you stop over a million people from disrupting traffic - impossible

Barricades and the blocking of roads should be addressed under public order 

No issue at all with giving notice of intent to gather but that is as far as it goes

I think this is a step in the wrong direction and hope it is rejected

• Like 1

protests can be held in parks etc away from the normal flow of traffic

Why not simply pass a law saying all public demonstrations must be held in private - and have done with it.

Imagine - no Arab Springs, no French Revolutions, no Warsaw Uprisings, No Wat Tylers or Magna Cartas, etc etc etc

Brother, you've nothing to lose but your chains.