Should jet skis be totally banned in Pattaya/Jomtien?

Jingthing

Should jet skis be totally banned in Pattaya/Jomtien?  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This question for people who live in or visit Pattaya.

Given the endless issues with jet skis:

Safety issues

Accidents

Pollution/Noise

"Mafia" control

Corruption issues

Customers getting violently assaulted (or threatened) to pay extortionate holiday ruining "repair" fees when presented with so called "damage"

should the jet skis just be totally, 100 percent, BANNED from Pattaya/Jomtien?

Or not?

That would solve all the above problems but of course make some owners/powers that be/and riders unhappy.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As it states in the news that these are illegal crafts in Thailand obviously they should be banned.

Anyone who wants to watch the antics of their operators doesn't have to go to You Tube, just sit on the steps of Mikes Shopping centre in the afternoon for a while and see for yourself.

certainly not.

banning stuff is classic lazy left-wing approach to problems.

Safety issues => enforcement of rules

Accidents => enforcement of compulsory insurance for vendors

Pollution/Noise => pfff... compared to what's going on on the streets and elsewhere, 555

"Mafia" control => enforcement

Corruption issues => enforcement

Customers getting violently assaulted (or threatened) to pay extortionate holiday ruining "repair" fees when presented with so called "damage" => enforcement

the word "enforcement" comes up often, which shows that this is a government and police problem.

Banning an activity that at least in theory can be practised legally is the wrong answer in 99% of cases and is killing off individual liberties one by one. Exactly the reason why I moved away from Europe.

Edited by manarak

I don't think banning things is specifically a left wing or a right wing thing and I also think western concepts of left wing and right wing don't translate so well to Thailand.

To me, the question revolves around level of confidence that the problems with jet skis will ever be sorted out short of banning, or not.

Of course others just don't care ... if people are violently assaulted with fake repair bills and the police aren't there to help (to put it politelywai.gif ) ... oh well ... you were a fool for renting the skis in the first place ... man up ... not MY problem!

I'd be surprised if many long term people in Pattaya have a high level of confidence that the problems can actually be fixed to a significant extent for more than a showboat period (if that).

Edited by Jingthing

Banning things is just crazy. There are many people who would love to ban lady bars and go go bars and alcohol as well. Plenty of do gooder Thais would love to see that sort of activity closed down in Pattata.

If we listen to the whims of every Tom, Dick and Somchai then this place wouldn't be what it is.

Regulate and Police it propely without any corruption is the only way to go. I have rented jet skies on Koh Larn through reputable dealers and never had a problem. Why should we force the good operators out?

Go to the beach for a swim and nobody notices or cares. Hire a jet ski and you have the potential to seriously p*ss off a lot of people. Move the jet skis to their own secluded areas - let the hirers have their fun, as they are entitled to, but not at the expense of the majority bathers.

I voted no, regulations and controls yes!

So you think regulations and controls on this will actually WORK here? coffee1.gif
Can it work? Yes, it works in other countries. It is not only about banning jet skis, you can substitute the word jet skis for other things some people might fine objectionable. Karaoke bars, noisy after hours clubs, discos, and the bars in general all foster corruption, prostitution, drugs, alcoholism, etc. I live on the beach and hear the jet skis probably more than anyone else on this forum and probably have more reason to ban them more than anyone else on this forum. But I won't, I realize I live in a tourist town and other folks see a greater benefit than my personal inconvenience. Banning jet skis is a cop-out. For those people who voted yes, must realize there is a government, elected by no one and accountable to nobody, calling the shots so you better be careful what you wish for. I support regulations and penalties with teeth that are enforced.

did you read the phuket wan, last week?

The army did ban the jet ski, and few weeks later they were back in the business!

The jet ski mafia, did explain, they can not stay longer unemployed. If they dont go back to work at the beach,

they will turn to another criminal activity... the army accepted!

Edited by Bender

I voted No. JT, I'm guessing that you come from a country that once banned the sales of alcohol. It didn't work, it was wrong and now sales of alcohol there are controlled and regulated. Banning is a right wing, fascist trait; such as you might see in a military dictatorship (no names, no pack drill). Everybody knows that the problems are in a particular part of the beach - near Mike's Shopping Mall. Why punish all the jetski operators who do operate legally (the vast majority) because of the sins of the few?

most would be out of business if they werent extorting money so banning them wouldnt be necessary, but its not a simple thing, Im surprised nobody seems to know who owns the jetskis and employs the scammers, its not the scammers, their small portion goes on yaba. the person behind this doesnt work at the beach, he just pulls up in his mercedes and collects the money, or his agent does, doesnt even get out of the car, this is an observation, not speculation, just for the record

Edited by slygeeza

I voted No. JT, I'm guessing that you come from a country that once banned the sales of alcohol. It didn't work, it was wrong and now sales of alcohol there are controlled and regulated. Banning is a right wing, fascist trait; such as you might see in a military dictatorship (no names, no pack drill). Everybody knows that the problems are in a particular part of the beach - near Mike's Shopping Mall. Why punish all the jetski operators who do operate legally (the vast majority) because of the sins of the few?

its all that area south of mikes, and many other places as well. thats just the most open area so more people notice

One solution to the problem will be if the intended renter, together with the owner of the craft will

inspect the jetski and document any visible damage, if any, shouldn't take more than few minutes

but will save tons of headaches later...

certainly not.

Pollution/Noise => pfff... compared to what's going on on the streets and elsewhere, 555

Customers getting violently assaulted (or threatened) to pay extortionate holiday ruining "repair" fees when presented with so called "damage" => enforcement

the word "enforcement" comes up often, which shows that this is a government and police problem.

Banning an activity that at least in theory can be practised legally is the wrong answer in 99% of cases and is killing off individual liberties one by one. Exactly the reason why I moved away from Europe.

That's a classic lazy right wing way to criticize something they don't like. Blame it on the left. You had to do that rather than a reasoned opinion?

I think Manarak and Ling Kae got it right.

Banning them wouldn't bother me as I don't rent them but I would prefer to see serious enforcement of the rules rather than banning.

I think the enforcement level would be just about right when the operators were terrified of a customer making a formal complaint.

And change their name to boatercycles. I hate to keep bringing that up but it just seems to roll off the tongue better.

One solution to the problem will be if the intended renter, together with the owner of the craft will

inspect the jetski and document any visible damage, if any, shouldn't take more than few minutes

but will save tons of headaches later...

If it were about real damage, that would work great. But it's not.

It's plain vanilla, brutal extortion.

No amount of inspection and reason and evidence will save you when a guy with a bunch of thug buddies decides he wants your money- and the cops are in on it.

Edited by impulse

banning stuff is classic lazy left-wing approach to problems.---manarak

"Yes Just make sure the mafia obey all the rules---like they do in other countries"............Oh Yer, that will work

After 70 years I have just realized I am apparently "classic left wing" -- please do get rid of them,

certainly not.

"... banning stuff is classic lazy left-wing approach to problems "

This is so funny.

You have just identified yourself as a Right Wing Bigot. clap2.gif