From dolphins to tigers, Thailand's animal shows taking their toll

Lite Beer

From dolphins to tigers, Thailand's animal shows taking their toll

BANGKOK: Pattaya Dolphin World has been giving tourists in the Thai resort town the chance to swim with dolphins, and outraging animal welfare activists, since it opened in 2011.

Tourist Victoria Maltseva from Siberia leans forward to touch cheeks with an Irrawaddy dolphin, a critically endangered species, at Pattaya Dolphin World. The dolphin trainer seen behind her is giving the command for the dolphin to rise out of the water during a swim-with-dolphins session. A new dolphinarium planned in Phuket has sparked outrage from animal rights groups Friday.

The proliferation of such places, where animals are paraded for photo opportunities and their wellbeing allegedly neglected, has drawn growing protest. NGOs are mounting campaigns and protests to stop the opening of a separate dolphinarium in Phuket due to open in October.

"We are teaching children all the wrong things," said Richard O'Barry, head of the conservationist group DolphinProject.org.

"Children come to these shows and go away from them thinking that these places are where the animals belong," said Mr O'Barry, also the host of the award-winning 2009 documentary The Cove, which portrays the annual traditional killing of wild dolphins in a Japanese town.

The crowd at the Pattaya dolphinarium shows no awareness of the controversy. Laughter and squeals of delight fill the air as the dolphins perform tricks.

"That was amazing," said Victoria Maltseva and Roman Lizander from Russia, holidaying in Thailand. They had each paid 2,500 baht for the chance to swim with the animals, which include endangered species.

The dolphinarium displays two Irrawaddy dolphins and a Indo-Pacific humpback. The Indo-Pacific humpback is listed as near-threatened by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. The Irrawaddy dolphins are listed as critically endangered, and their commercial trade is forbidden.

"The rise of tourists from countries with less awareness of animal welfare issues has resulted in more of these cheap shows," said Edwin Wiek, head of the Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand, which works to rescue injured, tortured or trafficked animals and rehabilitate them to the wild where possible.

At Pattaya Dolphin World, the trainers say most of their clients hail from Russia or China.

"A lot of people from these countries do not care about the animals but rather just want to see a show," says Mr Wiek.

Dolphin World officials dismissed charges of trafficking endangered animals, saying all their dolphins were rescued from beachings or fisherman's nets.

The Pattaya Dolphin World and Resort is one of many animal-centred tourist destinations to open up or expand in recent years.

In Bangkok, Pata shopping mall has a zoo on its rooftop where space is limited and facilities outdated. A gorilla named Bua-noi has been living there for the past 27 years in a concrete enclosure with only a rubber tyre for company.

Elsewhere in the country, tiger temples and parks are being built to satisfy the demand for tourist selfies with chained-up tigers.

Sriracha Tiger Zoo, 100 kilometres east of Bangkok, shows cubs being raised and nursed by sows alongside piglets.

The sign on the display, written in English and Mandarin, says that this is an experiment conducted by the zoo to make the tigers less aggressive.

"I am enjoying it, but maybe I shouldn't," said Sarah Gibbs, a teacher from Britain who had her picture taken with a tiger cub.

Mr Wiek estimates that some of these businesses make as much as 400,000 baht per day. None of them "have anything to do with conservation," he said. He also alleged the tiger parks are involved in trading the animals to China where their parts are harvested for traditional medicines.

"A lot of these tiger farms will let tourists play with the cubs and when they get older ship them off [for sale]" Mr Wiek said. "Individual tigers can fetch up to $6,000 on the black market."

A spokesman for the Sriracha zoo said its high profile meant a lot of media attention but also the close scrutiny of the authorities.

"I can guarantee that under no circumstance are we involved in the underground trading of these animals."

Zoo operators in Thailand need a licence and permits from the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department. The process includes an inspection, but there are no clear laws on animal welfare, a department official said.

Activists say that widespread corruption means enforcement of any regulations is poor, and cub births are often unregistered.

A study by the wildlife trade-monitoring network TRAFFIC found that body parts from over 1,400 tigers were seized around Asia between 2000 and 2013, with Thailand, Cambodia and Laos representing major stops along the illegal overland routes.

"They want to sit on an elephant, sit next to sleeping tigers and get photographs of these animals without caring how they got there or if they're being looked after," Wiek said.

"These kinds of attractions will only hurt Thailand in the long run," said Nancy Gibson, founder of the Love Wildlife Foundation. "As the world shifts towards eco-tourism and people become more aware, these attractions will only diminish Thailand's reputation."

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-08-16

I recall taking my kids to such attractions as Chimps playing basketball and riding tricycles , what can only be described as Crocodile "Baiting" or wrestling and seen a very drugged up Tiger lined up fo a photo shoot with toddlers and then there's the elephant rides. I just used to stand there and shake my head in a mixture of amusement and horror at the Thais attempt at "Enhancing" the animal kingdom. I don't think they are being purposely cruel but you still feel for the animals

Would be easy to repair....and it might be even possible to have a kind of show without torturing the animals.....

But that would need strong AND smart actions from the government.

Many years ago at the Siracha Tiger Zoo an untrained female ' keeper ' was mauled to death by a tiger she kept swatting on the nose !

• Like 1

Nothing worse than seeing animals being paraded around for profit, fun and for the animals pure existence, Thailand is the backwoods of the International community when it comes to animals and after the progress being made to control animal welfare along with trafficking and poaching , will remain a backwater till they mature up and become responsible people.bah.gif

Would be easy to repair....and it might be even possible to have a kind of show without torturing the animals.....

Many years ago at the Siracha Tiger Zoo an untrained female ' keeper ' was mauled to death by a tiger she kept swatting on the nose !

Excuse me but I had a short grin on reading this.

• Like 1

What PC bologna. Tigers and dolphins are not what's important in life at all, but everyone is saying they should be...really...like any of us has ever eaten a dolphin or fried tiger gonads. Sure, let's all do what we're told and nod our heads at the appropriate moments.....like that makes life better for us or the animals concerned. What drivel and utter crap. No. I refuse to be a robot for BS arguments. All the PETA idiots can now go back to patting each other on the back and being successful at trying to censor all debate under the cloying blanket of false altruism. Congratulations -- you stifled free expression better than Stalin ever did -- and for all the right reasons too. I protest. I disagree, and I I hate anyone who mouths such platitudes. The quotes are from people who make their living from being spokespersons for correctness, and they, themselves contribute nothing -- a last cull of such conservation nuts found that not a single one had ever made a cash donation to the causes they rant about...I guess the logic is "I get paid to do this, why should I contribute? I'm your hero -- you pay me."

Yeah, right. It is all minimalist BS aimed to make people feel like they are doing something. Raising awareness does not tie a baby's shoes.

I don't eat sentient animals, including dolphins and whales and primates. But roast some mutton, beef or chicken and I am there with no guilt. I am not accepting guilt for being an omnivore. No way, no how, and piss off with the pseudo-religious arguments.

I like being human, with all of it's contradictions and difficulties...but push comes to shove, if the choice is my little girl or the one-eyed barfing beetle...the beetle has to go. Get over it -- thaat's never going to change. Ever. And not for any of the hypocrits bleating to save all cute animals either.

Animal rights actrvists never care about human beings, that's too complicated, so they latch onto the easiest and most socially lazy approach altogether and embrace the new pastoral conceit,

Blah! We should all puke...and then eat some more beef (maybe vomitoriums are needed now more than ever).

I am 100 Percent Vegetarian and have been for about 35 years...... And I am sure I ain't alone...

Peoples Interaction with so called tame or trained wild beasts is fraught with danger, there is a history of these animals getting their own back on trainers and visitors. Saw a video of an Asian guy get his armed twisted off by a croc he was performing with. Memory is a bit dodgy did one of those long haired pretty boys from Vegas get mauled by their tiger? It goes on, a trainer of a grizzly gets bitten on the neck he dies in minutes, I regret the money spent to enter the Phuket zoo witnessed a hideous monkey show, a man sticking his head in a crocs jaws, tourists laying on the ground having a massage by an elephant's foot, forget that, one twitch from this big fella and your insides exit via your arse. The Phuket zoo is a very sad outdated animal prison. Oh just remembered the chimps at the Perth zoo smoking cigarettes, who trained them to do that. I thought it was funny at the time it was fifty years ago I was very young. Relegate These animal circuses to the pages of history, I like to watch them in the wild on Nat Geo.

strong, smart, actions, government - pretty brave to put these words together in one sentence

• Like 1

Excuse me but I had a short grin on reading this.

Is that where they make elephants walk a tightrope? Extremely cruel. Somewhere nr Sriracha.

I'd nominate her for a Darwin Award. She's out of the gene pool.

Tiger = Alpha predator / Human = Prey

No trips to Tiger World or whatever it is for me thank you.

I don't get it your Morons Here you are complaining with great gusto how the Thais treat animals

They treat woman worse but I never hear from you guys about your moral indignation when they are nasty with woman.

Do you think it's only Thais who are morally rustic with women? Female domination and abuse still exists in most countries, and not only Thailand.

You might be surprised by study stats... http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/ageing/documents/egm/NeglectAbuseandViolenceofOlderWomen/Violence%20against%20women.pdf

Got to Chapter 6, after reviewing the likes of Australia and Germany. Mind you, you might like to then say the UN is not my uncle.

Thailand is low, although I would agree that stats are based upon 'reported cases'.

However, for all us morons.. as you stated.. female abuse is not unique to Thailand - the agenda was animals...... and if you care to also 'google', you'll also find that Thailand does not stand high in the official ratings.

most of the touists that come here ,would eat a dolphin if they had the chance..and many do...

That statement is entirely dependent upon where the tourist comes from.

You can bet your bottom dollar that most Western farangs (visitors - or even mainstay here) would NEVER eat dolphin, given the chance. Most would be half-vomiting at the thought. If it's Chinese/Japanese tourists you refer to - then, yes, maybe a different response....... but to label all tourists as one set of systemic beliefs is, in all honesty, a mile off the mark!

Edited by DrLom
  • Like 1

What PC bologna. Tigers and dolphins are not what's important in life at all, but everyone is saying they should be...really...like any of us has ever eaten a dolphin or fried tiger gonads. Sure, let's all do what we're told and nod our heads at the appropriate moments.....like that makes life better for us or the animals concerned. What drivel and utter crap. No. I refuse to be a robot for BS arguments. All the PETA idiots can now go back to patting each other on the back and being successful at trying to censor all debate under the cloying blanket of false altruism. Congratulations -- you stifled free expression better than Stalin ever did -- and for all the right reasons too. I protest. I disagree, and I I hate anyone who mouths such platitudes. The quotes are from people who make their living from being spokespersons for correctness, and they, themselves contribute nothing -- a last cull of such conservation nuts found that not a single one had ever made a cash donation to the causes they rant about...I guess the logic is "I get paid to do this, why should I contribute? I'm your hero -- you pay me."

Yeah, right. It is all minimalist BS aimed to make people feel like they are doing something. Raising awareness does not tie a baby's shoes.

I don't eat sentient animals, including dolphins and whales and primates. But roast some mutton, beef or chicken and I am there with no guilt. I am not accepting guilt for being an omnivore. No way, no how, and piss off with the pseudo-religious arguments.

I like being human, with all of it's contradictions and difficulties...but push comes to shove, if the choice is my little girl or the one-eyed barfing beetle...the beetle has to go. Get over it -- thaat's never going to change. Ever. And not for any of the hypocrits bleating to save all cute animals either.

Animal rights actrvists never care about human beings, that's too complicated, so they latch onto the easiest and most socially lazy approach altogether and embrace the new pastoral conceit,

Blah! We should all puke...and then eat some more beef (maybe vomitoriums are needed now more than ever

narcissism at its best

I find the people that go to these animal shows simple minded.

Most humans can not live without animals in their lives. Whether it is eating them, using them for work, using them for entertainment, using them for experiments, using their body parts or locking them up to be looked at, we really are barbaric to our fellow earthlings.

Every animal on the planet would survive without humans.

Animals deserve freedom, just like us Humans....

Ya rite. We humans are so free that we can pave over their habitat until they have no place to live in but a zoo or show.

On the bright side the present government has announced that they plan to reforest the country up from it's present 31.5% to 40% in the next ten years. Being as they are not running for office there might be a chance they do it; They are already driving illegal business out of national forest's.wai.gif

Blah! We should all puke...and then eat some more beef (maybe vomitoriums are needed now more than ever).

The test of our humanity it's been said, is how we treat the vulnerable, whether human or non-human. How we do this, not when the eyes of the world are on us, but when no-one is watching, is what defines who and what we really are. How can anyone ever think it's acceptable to take some living thing from the wild (or worse still, breed it for that purpose) to deprive it of freedom, for it's entire life, for entertainment? Let me say that again... for entertainment!

A Gorilla in a cage for 27 years with nothing else but a tyre? Convicted murderers and rapists are not treated like this. Dolphins ripped from their pods (most of whom are slaughtered) and shipped half way round the world to live in small tanks and be "trained" to jump through hoops so tourists can clap and pay cash. Tigers kept drugged for most of their lives so people can have their pictures taken with them.

Just for a second stop and think and replace the Gorilla, the Tiger or the Dolphin with a human being. Not a person on the planet would agree this to be acceptable behaviour, so why should it acceptable for animals to be treated like this. No brainer really.

Now to have the privilege to glimpse a Gorilla or a Tiger in it's natural habitat or see a pod of Dolphins in the wild, now you're talking. But the greed of man will continue to be driven by money. People, myself included, are more and more willing to pay top dollar to see these animals in the wild, but not if there's a sniff of exploitation. Those who profit from exploitation generally, thankfully, do not have the wit to realise this.

You can only live in hope that in 50 years time, we'll look back on this kind of exploitation the same as we now do on slavery. The reality is, most of these animals will likely be extinct by the time that happens. Think on, once they're gone, they're gone.

Well at least you allow us to eat them.

OK TROLL, I´ll bite !!

The same people treating animals badly are probably the same ones treating people badly (it doesn´t make it right either way).

Consuming cows and pigs bred for the purpose, no matter how cruel it actually is, does not compare with the cruel treatment and torture of what were once wild animals. As you said we (most of us from the Western world) do not eat them, if that is necessary then so be it, but it is not.

Supposedly our intellect and recent awareness of the recent none sustainable destruction we are creating on this planet is supposedly what sets us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom. We are the only species that have the ability to make a difference. Supposedly we are advancing........

There are many more things I could say but I think I have made my point !

OK I will bite which animals is it OK to treat this way.

Cows

Pigs

Chickens

Not sure how they raise sheep. also remember some of these animals were born in captivity and have never seen freedom. If given a chance would they be able to make it before they died.

I am not saying the treatment is Ok but I am saying it is hypocritical to say this one you can put in a pen with no room to move around in because I like bacon but I don't like tiger or gorilla so you must let them alone.sad.png