Shisha cafes must stop selling shisha, Thai officials warn of crackdown

webfact

The reason they want to clamp down on that and the electronic cigarettes is they are missing out on collecting the tax

That may indeed be true but in the case of shisha targeting student areas in mentioned, indicating a concern about health, and keep in mind shisha smoking is extremely carcinogenic.

yes but where is the problem if someone want to smoke something carcinogenic?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason they want to clamp down on that and the electronic cigarettes is they are missing out on collecting the tax

That may indeed be true but in the case of shisha targeting student areas in mentioned, indicating a concern about health, and keep in mind shisha smoking is extremely carcinogenic.

A few problems.

First people are seduced into the fun of shisha who aren't even really smokers to begin with.

Then of course many get addicted and develop cancer and heart disease from the smoking.

Many people, especially uneducated young people, are not educated that shisha is not a form of "safe" smoking.

Also there is the second hand smoke issue.

Tobacco in general isn't illegal, but government efforts globally to tax it and WARN about on labels actually is proven effective in reducing youth tobacco addiction rates.

Imagine going to a shisha cafe and being presented a huge poster of graphic pictures of diseases as part of the FLAVOR MENU.

And the taxes.

The government is on to something here.

If it was legal, it SHOULD be taxed and it should be warned against, especially to youth.

Not clear the intentions in this case are so noble, BUT again it is illegal in Thailand. Hard to complain about authorities enforcing laws.

Edited by Jingthing

A few problems.

First people are seduced into the fun of shisha who aren't even really smokers to begin with.

Then of course many get addicted and develop cancer and heart disease from the smoking.

Many people, especially uneducated young people, are not educated that shisha is not a form of "safe" smoking.

Tobacco in general isn't illegal, but government efforts globally to tax it and WARN about on labels actually is proven effective in reducing youth tobacco addiction rates.

Imagine going to a shisha cafe and being presented a huge poster of graphic pictures of diseases as part of the FLAVOR MENU.

And the taxes.

If it was legal, it SHOULD be taxed and it should be warned against, especially to youth.

Not clear the intentions in this case are so noble, BUT again it is illegal in Thailand. Hard to complain about authorities enforcing laws.

So the short form of what you write is:

a ) People in general are to stupid to decide for themself and must be protected by an almighty government.

b ) That smoking isn't healthy is pretty unknown by young people

c ) Everyone who try Shisha is addicted to smoking afterwards

d ) On everything that makes fun we must put big posters with the most improbable worst case....next is we also have to tattoo on all possible sex partner a picture of someone who dies from AIDS

Give freedom for the people!!!!

In Thailand on legal tobacco, taxation and graphic health warning messages are already in effect. Why should shisha be exempt from the same treatment (if it was legal)? Especially as we have seen evidence here there is massive ignorance out there about the relative safety of shisha compared to other tobacoo delivery systems?

Well, you can also ban cigarettes because it's bad for health , what about alcohol , never heard it was good for health either ..... Then after that you can ban all electronic devices , fat food , sweets etc ...... Than what next ??? Bikinis on the beach because it's not decent ???

“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

post-217374-0-12219400-1408348592_thumb.

In Thailand on legal tobacco, taxation and graphic health warning messages are already in effect. Why should shisha be exempt from the same treatment (if it was legal)? Especially as we have seen evidence here there is massive ignorance out there about the relative safety of shisha compared to other tobacoo delivery systems?

They want to BAN it in shops and BAN sales, but don't want to ban cigarettes. They are short sided, hypocritical and have few good ideas, seems to be the consensus. This guy Somchai is useless, doing stuff like this to pose as a man doing something worthwhile. What a sad state of priorities in a developing country.

This must be all part of getting ready for Asean or something, Thailand has changed so much in the past few months its unreal, Bangkok at least.

Maybe they might clamp down on the Go-go bars next, It would not bother me. smile.png

My opinion is there are bigger problem's than shisha like Alcohol, including that Thai whiskey rocket juice they sell for 10 baht.

Will not even talk about the Yabba as I m still getting my head around how its so popular and why among young people.

Edited by Killian30

Well, you can also ban cigarettes because it's bad for health , what about alcohol , never heard it was good for health either ..... Then after that you can ban all electronic devices , fat food , sweets etc ...... Than what next ??? Bikinis on the beach because it's not decent ???

Personally, I don't think the ban on shisha is wise but don't see any reason why if legal the same restrictions placed on other tobacco consumption (taxation and warnings) should not be also applied to shisha. To me, that is the main problem with shisha -- it is sold (and bought) largely as a safe and fun social activity rather than a disease causing tobacco activity.

Also keep in mind the Thai government subsidies health care for its people. It is indeed in the Thai government interest to reduce tobacco consumption especially in youth, and knowing people will do it anyway, at least get back money to help pay for the societal damage it causes.

Someone mentioned HIV. Other measures are appropriate to combat that. Education in schools. Free condom distribution. Taxation on alcohol is related as it is known that drunk people are more likely to engage in unprotected sex.

Edited by Jingthing

What a waste of time and resources. All those people puffing away in Soi 3 and 3/1 aren't harming anyone except themselves.

Not really true. Young Thais are getting introduced / hooked on this crap daily. In Pattaya there are many Shisha bars around, and they are just like the big tobacco companies, in that their businesses rely on getting more & more people hooked.

They are also an eyesore with many unsavoury characters hanging around. I can't help but believe that there is quite a bit of drug dealing going on at these places as well.

There is one close to where I live that stays open until 4 or 5 AM many nights and blasts very loud music, annoying most of the neighbourhood. They have been trying for years to get it shut down, but seems that the french / lebonese boys that run it have some locals on the payroll to keep it up and running smoothly.

This must be all part of getting ready for Asean or something, Thailand has changed so much in the past few months its unreal, Bangkok at least.

Maybe they might clamp down on the Go-go bars next, It would not bother me. smile.png

My opinion is there are bigger problem's than shisha like Alcohol, including that Thai whiskey rocket juice they sell for 10 baht.

Will not even talk about the Yabba as I m still getting my head around how its so popular and why among young people.

The military junta, privy councilors and r_ _ _ l bureaucrats are way past their expiration date and totally out of touch with reality.

“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

I guess you will never need a doctor then, nor a lawyer, nor knowledge, nor freedom, nor to read TVF which is a press outlet. Don't bank your money, don't carry morals, and refuse to exist in a society you have just judged and complained about so much. There are honest people, and they pave the ways for new ground, even if tried to be removed by corrupt oppositions - there are honest people who continue societies with correct morals. If you don't believe that then don't pay your electric bill, or complain about it, and live like a hermit.... as that is the answer to your belief in what you posted, assuming you actually believe it??????

What a waste of time and resources. All those people puffing away in Soi 3 and 3/1 aren't harming anyone except themselves.

Not really true. Young Thais are getting introduced / hooked on this crap daily. In Pattaya there are many Shisha bars around, and they are just like the big tobacco companies, in that their businesses rely on getting more & more people hooked.

They are also an eyesore with many unsavoury characters hanging around. I can't help but believe that there is quite a bit of drug dealing going on at these places as well.

There is one close to where I live that stays open until 4 or 5 AM many nights and blasts very loud music, annoying most of the neighbourhood. They have been trying for years to get it shut down, but seems that the french / lebonese boys that run it have some locals on the payroll to keep it up and running smoothly.

Shisha is not affecting their behaviour. Might wanna reconsider your screen name...you're living in Pattaya and complaining about noise?! You've been on something heavier than shisha, or is it that time of the month?

Edited by gemini81

A few problems.

And the taxes.

Then perhaps Mc'ds should start showing customers giant posters of cholesterol ridden arteries, incredibly obese people etc.

How places serving animal flesh show pictures af the undigested meat left in a corpe's bowels...

Why stop there?

hen perhaps Mc'ds should start showing customers giant posters of cholesterol ridden arteries, incredibly obese people etc.

How places serving animal flesh show pictures af the undigested meat left in a corpe's bowels...

Why stop there?

Indeed. You're preaching to the choir. I favor government regulation of large food companies. They are indeed a contributor to the global obesity epidemic. I think in that case it would be more productive to go after the INGREDIENTS in their products though.

Edited by Jingthing

Nope the powers that be hace yo create a climate of change in order to tackle corruption. Zero tolerance. Go for the easy stuff first and people start noticing change.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

hen perhaps Mc'ds should start showing customers giant posters of cholesterol ridden arteries, incredibly obese people etc.

Why stop there?

Indeed. You're preaching to the choir. I favor government regulation of large food companies. They are indeed a contributor to the global obesity epidemic. I think in that case it would be more productive to go after the INGREDIENTS in their products though.

They already do. For instance, all of the toxic crap, GMO and chemicals approved by the FDA, big pharma. Money talks huh?

Why stop there?

And than please follow your arguments, which in every case makes sense. Think you get reasonable politicians who follow that ALL. Than you live with everywhere bans and taxes and ugly posters. On the rice, fruit juice, your cocktail, on the condom. On sex you can get many things so it should be complete banned or high tax on it and both people must register first......At 10 PM all places would close, it sleeping too less is damaging the health.

It would let appear North Korea to be a paradise in compare.

I would prefer to live in a free country instead. If I want to do something unhealthy it is my choice. If I refuse to acknowledge that smoking is damaging me than it should be my problem.

Also it is a FOREIGN indulgence so ..... well you know.

there is a little bar in Nonthaburi where I've only seen Thais as you don't see many foreigners around here.

They do seem to enjoy it, but then again it's done outside. If it's brought here illegally, then legalize it and tax it

which would IMHO way easier than enforcing a ridiculous law.

I hope they succeed in the crackdown. I never liked that shisha smell and their arab customers.

I was hoping they would crack down on trolling haters that don't like freedom, and are narrow minded.

I love freedom and I'm not narrow minded, thats why I live in Thailand.

But watching people destroying their own lifes, health problems, drinking too much alcohol, drugs or smoking sisha its not why I came here, unlike some foreigners.

Agreed! They should just be required to sign a document waiving their rights to public health services for smoking related health issues in the future. You should be able to do what you want, but I shouldn't be the one subsidizing your bad decisions.