Shisha cafes must stop selling shisha, Thai officials warn of crackdown

webfact

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in go-gos where they are smoking shisha. I left because the smoke was sickening to me. I say Chaiyo! Of course we know no smoking is permitted in bars anyway. Except where they want Japanese customers. 5555

BTW I have tried it and it does give a buzz.

It really has gotten out of hand in Pattaya. Mini shisha operations are popping up everywhere, even worse than the fish massage fad when that peaked. Often they are directly attached to restaurants.

So what's the problem? Too many fish massage shops - they go out of business. Did they somehow offend you? Did they have a detrimental effect on your life?

Same with shisha bars. Do they adversely effect you? Were you a regular customer of shisha bars until they started smoking - shishas - in there, meaning you could no longer go there? Or is it that you just don't like smoking in any shape or form, so you'd like to stop everybody doing it, because, well, it offends you, so nobody should be allowed to do it.

There are many things that I don't like in other people (sanctimonious self-righteousness being at the top of the list), but it would never occur to me to try to ban those activities. I'm a live and let live kind of person. If I don't like something, I can walk away. We have that choice. We don't have to insist that we don't want to deviate from our path, so all others must clear the way.

It's called tolerance. Something I would have thought that you, Jingthing, would be particularly aware of.

I avoid responding to posts based on personal baiting.thumbsup.gif Just so you know NEXT TIME in case you actually want to discuss the content of topics instead of just insulting people.

He proposes action on something which is already illegal ?

Hardly headline news.

Surely, that should be an everyday task for the Police, or whoever,

Well, in practicality it would be news if there is significant action on this. Prostitution isn't legal either. Surely it would be very big news if those laws were enforced. There are laws and then there are enforcement policies. Not the same thing.

You want to smoke?

Fine. Go ahead.

Just don't do it around those of us who find it a foul habit.

Indeed, the last thing I want to do is to inlfict my pleasures on someone who doesn't like them. However, the anti-smoking lobby finds it quite acceptable to inflict their displeasures on me by removing my choice to enjoy sitting in a bar with a beer and a cigarette. It would have been so easy to mandate separate, well signed bars where smoking is or isn't permitted. Or separate areas, with good ventilation. But of course, it never was anything to do with health. It was always about social engineering. And increased profits for the pharmaceutical industry.

I do not have a problem with people smoking, just as long as

1. I do not have to inhale the smoke, which gives me asthma.

Oddly enough, smoking is supposed to be protective against asthma, although I haven't done much research on it.

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/2596/want_to_cure_your_asthma_start_smoking

2. I do not have to inhale the stench that the hookahs emit.

Hookahs do not emit a stench, they give off an aroma. Whether you like the aroma or not is purely subjective.

3. I do not have to pay for their healthcare.

According the the (doubtless inflated) figures from the NHS in the UK, 'smoking related' diseases costs them £2.7 billion a year.

Smokers pay £11 billion in taxes every year. So we subsidise your healthcare to a large degree. Be grateful! :)

There are well ventilated smoking areas in all bars. It's called outside. Smoking stinks up any internal area it takes part in and the odour affects smoking and non smoking areas. Edited by Bluespunk

The reason they want to clamp down on that and the electronic cigarettes is they are missing out on collecting the tax

That may indeed be true but in the case of shisha targeting student areas in mentioned, indicating a concern about health, and keep in mind shisha smoking is extremely carcinogenic.

yes but where is the problem if someone want to smoke something carcinogenic?

Incredible drain on the subsidized health care system?

That was one reason helmets for motorcycle law was passed in Canada.

Many posters are suggesting that the big issues like environment, education, poverty, and corruption should be addressed first instead of these little decisions.

Well the big issues are incredibly complex and difficult to address. they are probably being discussed and debated over and over.

This issue was easily addressed whether right or wrong decision was made.

so, is it shisha cafes only banned from selling shisha? , or is it the whole shisha smoking thing banned ? i mean is it allowed to smoke shisha at home , or will it be regarded as against the law also?

It's the tobacco itself that is illegal as it is un taxed and unregulated. So if you are caught with possession with the shisha tobacco I assume it would be the same punishment as being caught with contraband tobacco products

The reason they want to clamp down on that and the electronic cigarettes is they are missing out on collecting the tax

That may indeed be true but in the case of shisha targeting student areas in mentioned, indicating a concern about health, and keep in mind shisha smoking is extremely carcinogenic.

yes but where is the problem if someone want to smoke something carcinogenic?

Incredible drain on the subsidized health care system?

That was one reason helmets for motorcycle law was passed in Canada.

That isn't an argument.....Based on it you would have to forbid just everything that is a drain on the health system, like riding motorbikes.

Beside in the west it is already argued that it isn't true. It is cheaper if you die with 65 from lung cancer than if you go till 85 and get than a different kind of cancer.

Today, public health agencies are deeply concerned about the increased risk of contracting infectious diseases via shared hookah, and non-sterilization of the hookah apparatus. Herpes is just one of the infectious diseases that can be spread easily through Shisha. - See more at: http://www.quitshisha.com/effects-of-shisha/herpes-caused-by-shisha.html#sthash.wUyFlTpb.dpuf

granuaile, on 18 Aug 2014 - 13:54, said:granuaile, on 18 Aug 2014 - 13:54, said:

I never even realized it was illegal, given how commonly it is available....

I for one would like to see where, in law, it is actually illegal, or whether this is another case of someone making their own laws, one the run. There are procedures, in a democracy, for making laws, yes I know, we are under martial law, but surely smoking shisha is not a national security issue.

Edited by Rorri

submaniac, on 18 Aug 2014 - 14:13, said:

Shisha is much less harmful way of smoking tobacco. If you've ever tried it before, you would understand what I'm talking about.

I'm not a smoker, so it doesn't concern me, but are the "pipes" sterilised before re-use? Or are you sucking on someone else's saliva.

kriswillems, on 18 Aug 2014 - 14:21, said:

Great, after the imporatant Shisha issue is over I may I want to suggest that the general tries to get Thailand of the second place in the worldwide ranking of the number traffic deaths.

How many Thai people need to see their children die before something will be done?

They are trying very hard to get it to number one... Thailand does not like to be second.

Prbkk, on 18 Aug 2014 - 17:18, said:

2 key issues in this: lack of tax revenue and an existing, very powerful, monopoly. This has a smell of lobbyists about it rather than a real concern about the health of youngsters.

Why is there a "lack of tax revenue," as I see it a shisha uses tobacco, which is taxed.

Nice to see Thailand aspiring toward First world status: implementation of a plethora of regulations and tax increases, and increase the size of the government. LOS: Welcome to the 21st Century! Now put some cops in patrol cars and motorcycles and start pulling over vehicles for "Moving Violation" and you'll almost be there!

Today, public health agencies are deeply concerned about the increased risk of contracting infectious diseases via shared hookah, and non-sterilization of the hookah apparatus. Herpes is just one of the infectious diseases that can be spread easily through Shisha. - See more at: http://www.quitshisha.com/effects-of-shisha/herpes-caused-by-shisha.html#sthash.wUyFlTpb.dpuf

I bet the the hookah lovers in here didn't know anything about the risks , its really a disgusting way to smoke tobacco .

I believe that it s ridiculous to put so much effort for so little thing...

As somebody said, this is only to force people to smoke normal cigarette et pay taxes... the same happen in EUrope.

Electronic cigaret are not worst than normal cigaret...but it gives less taxes to the governement...

Where is the effort.1 person comes in, says shut down.Next day 1 man with a gun comes back to check.

They must have starter reaching the bottom of the to do list, if this is a big issue.

Or if its alphabetical.

Shisha

Shinawatra.....

Well if your alphabetical order is correct, then we can't be heading to Z, as Shinawatra has been covered and so have Zoos and Tarit (although xenophobia was missed out, and thus Shisha was missed out too). I wish they'd take it randomly, and maybe start with Chaler.... giggle.gif
When leaders start issuing edicts like this, you know the power is starting to go to their head.

Ban shisha, ban this, ban that. An essentially victimless crime while a thousand crimes a second are committed in his own government.

Corruption is the key. Smash that and u can stay in charge for a decade.

Sitting out the front of cafes smoking illegal substances is just sending all the wrong messages to Thai people.Shisa is already banned so they are just enforcing the law.If it was kept in 5he back room i suspect nothing would be done.Same as dope,be discreet no probs.I can remember drinking beer outa teacups in Patong,after hours,no probs and also when elections were on,me and a coupla cops sipping outa teacups after 6pm.Discretion is the name of the game.

Retarded ideas once again from Somkwai. The first ban that should start is banning this guy from being head of Excise. This is a cultural item. Hope the shops that WERE in business find another country to do business that lrespects them more, and where their investment isn't banned or swindled by the likes of Thai's Excise morons.

It has no culture here.